Family of 8, need ideas

lovemygregs

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW for the first time as a family of 8 next spring. I am trying to decide where we should stay. Over the last 6 months or so I have done short, long weekend mom and me trips with each of my oldest 4 boys. We stayed at the Poly which they loved and so did I. DH and I stayed at the Boardwalk on our honeymoon which we liked as well.

So when we started talking about our upcoming trip and where we might stay, the Poly and the Boardwalk were at the top of the list. The struggle now is, where will we be accommodated as a family of 8? We'd prefer not to stay in a DVC but will consider it if it's the only option. We also don't want to have to get two rooms. Which resorts have suites that we'd fit in?

The boys will be between the ages of 3 and 9 at the time of our trip. We'd really like to stay at a monorail resort, but I'm not sure which one will fit us. The Poly rooms I stayed in with them were just the regular rooms, not suites or club level or anything.

Thanks for your help!

There is no way you can be in one room, and I'm not certain how many can be accomodated in a suite. A DVC villa is going to be your best bet, IMO.

I can think of only 2 non-concierge/non-DVC room configurations that will accommodate 6 people: ASMu Family Suites & the FW Cabins.

Disney will allow an extra child under the age of 3 in a Pack 'n Play crib in a room (I see that you have two under the age of 2). I'm not sure if they will permit two. And even if they do, it could be extremely crowded. You might want to call Disney to see if this is a possibility for you.

Otherwise, your only onsite options are connecting rooms, concierge suites or a DVC villa.

Disney will allow an extra child under the age of 3 in a Pack 'n Play crib in a room (I see that you have two under the age of 2). I'm not sure if they will permit two. And even if they do, it could be extremely crowded. You might want to call Disney to see if this is a possibility for you.

If you have more than one infant, one will not count towards the occupancy, but the second (or third...) will count towards the room occupancy. EDITED: Just realized you said they will be 3, so the infant discussion is irrelevant!

I agree that either a DVC 2 bedroom is what you need or 2 rooms.

Why don't you want to stay in the DVC villas? Just wondering if there's a particular reason (like price) that could be overcome?

There are numerous two-bedroom suites that sleep 8-9 (and provide Club Level benefits) at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Yacht Club.

We recently stayed in a two-bedroom, 2 1/2 bath suite at Boardwalk Inn. It was very nice.

Suites range in price from a low of around $1200 per night to more than $2000per night for the really spectacular Presidential and Vice-Presidential Suites.

Two-bedroom villas would work for you as well. Bay Lake Tower is on the monorail. Wilderness Lodge Villas have boat access to MK. The villas cost less than the suites, but don't come with Club Level Benefits (except certain villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge).

Another option is two connecting rooms at any resort.

There are numerous two-bedroom suites that sleep 8-9 (and provide Club Level benefits) at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Yacht Club.

We recently stayed in a two-bedroom, 2 1/2 bath suite at Boardwalk Inn. It was very nice.

Suites range in price from a low of around $1200 per night to more than $2000per night for the really spectacular Presidential and Vice-Presidential Suites.

Two-bedroom villas would work for you as well. Bay Lake Tower is on the monorail. Wilderness Lodge Villas have boat access to MK. The villas cost less than the suites, but don't come with Club Level Benefits (except certain villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge).

Another option is two connecting rooms at any resort.

Thanks, I didn't know that Bay Lake Tower had villas. I'm sure we are going to be spending a LOT of time at Magic Kingdom so I think that might be a good option. I was avoiding DVC mostly because most of them seem too far away from Magic Kingdom and we are going to be relying on Disney Transportation.

I'll also look into the suites - my DH likes the idea of club level especially since we won't be doing the dining plan or anything. No way will I make the rest of the "world" suffer through dining out with my kids around :rotfl2:

The Bay Lake Tower 2-BR would be a fine choice, but you also have the Villas at Wilderness Lodge to consider, which would be a little cheaper. You wouldn't have monorail access, but at least it is a MK resort and you would have the boat launch. Your boys would probably love either resort. Let us know what you decide to go with!

I'd go with a 2 bedroom villa at BLT if I were in your shoes. :thumbsup2 If the cost is too high, I'd go with 2 rooms at Pop.

You might want to check out the DVC thread, as you can buy points from an owner and have them rent a unit for you, which can save you quite a bit of money. The disadvantage of renting from an owner is that they control your reservation so once you agree on a price and date, you are essentially locked in, w/o Disney's cancellation policy. If you are certain of your dates (i.e don't plan on changing and are ok w/0 cancellation insurance) this might be a good option for you. Points for BLT are averaging $11 per night. There is a point calculator on the DVC thread so you can calculate you nightly costs! Have fun planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter