Family of 8, best affordable stay?

Supermavs

Mouseketeer
Hello all! It’s been 4 long years since I’ve been to DL, and it was with only one daughter for her 8th grade grad trip. We are looking at taking 6 of our kids to DL in early to mid June. Ideally 4 days in the parks.
Any motel/inn places people suggest? Ideally walking distance and as affordable as possible. Tough when it’s people! Kids are 8, 8, 11,11, 16, and 18. We would want one down day between park days.

Thanks!
Becky

I love the Park Vue Inn but pricing can be all over the place. Sometimes it's quite expensive and other times it's very affordable. They have some bunk bed rooms too, so that would help squeeze extra bodies into each room. It's about as close as you can get without being at the Grand Cal.

We are staying with 6 of us (myself, my wife, and 4 basically adult-sized kids) at the Del Sol. They have a room with two queens and a bunk bed so it fits us. It may well be the lowest-quality hotel that's right across the street, but that also makes it usually the most affordable, or one of. Plus it's incredibly close.

I've definitely stayed in worse places before, it's not falling apart or anything, but if you're looking for a good deal and want to be within walking distance to the parks, and don't plan on spending a ton of time in your rooms, it's worth it IMO.

My brother is staying with his family at the Tropicana, it's around the same price, maybe a little more, also within walking distance.

I'm a family of 7, and we've been using VRBOs instead of hotels/motels. It works for us, and there are some walkable locations.

When I took my family in Dec we stayed at the homewood suites Anaheim convention center. It was right next to the bus trans for Disney ( free if you dont park a car) Also they had free hot breakfast nothing great but it saves a lot of money when you have kids . The 1 bedroom suite was 2 queens and a karge pull out bed. I thought the room was a good size. I paid about $150 a night. We were 2 adults a 18, 19 13 10 and7 year old.

The Desert Palms Hotel has a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite with 4 queen beds total that sleeps 8. When I've looked it's usually under $300 a night with one of their many "promo" rates rather than the rack rate. They also serve free hot breakfast. It's a little longer walk, but still easily walkable. I haven't stayed there personally (we've booked and cancelled several times there for various reasons because we found a better option for our needs) but it seems like a good fit for a larger group. They might not have availability though -- looks like their June is pretty sold out.

Best Western Raffles Inn has a "Family Suite" option with two queen beds in one room and a set of bunk beds and a sofabed in the other room with two bathrooms. That's usually pretty cheap but would not necessarily be walkable (but you can walk into the Toy Story parking lot from there and take the bus).

Desert Inn is close but their suites have creeped up considerably in price and don't seem like a great value for quality proposition.

Two rooms at the Candy Cane Inn would be an option, but no guaranteees they will be open by then.

We've stayed at the Desert Palms Inn & Suites referenced above several times and have always enjoyed it. The walk isn't too bad--basically like the back of Carsland to the Esplanade. The room that sleeps 8 is a nice way to go. With kids those ages, you may find a lot of savings in their full hot breakfast. We have also done Best Wester Raffles Inn & Suites as the prior poster also mentioned. Toy Story lot is close. We have walked it too but it's a decent distance, especially at night. Lots of other hotel options if you are okay with 2 rooms. Enjoy!

We just spent a week at the new Element by Westin hotel. We had the kids bunk bed suite which slept 8, one set of bunk beds, two queen beds and a queen size pull out couch in a very spacious room. It was walkable (15 minutes or less) and had a fantastic hot breakfast buffet. This was a great option for large families and brand new. So Nice!!

I think the residence inn is one of the few that can hold 8 in one room.
Desert Inn is a very basic motel but I think they may have some of their suites that can fit 8. We could never stay here because the pool is indoors and disgusting. My kids like to swim.

We just spent a week at the new Element by Westin hotel. We had the kids bunk bed suite which slept 8, one set of bunk beds, two queen beds and a queen size pull out couch in a very spacious room. It was walkable (15 minutes or less) and had a fantastic hot breakfast buffet. This was a great option for large families and brand new. So Nice!!
Was the pool loud? It looks like it backs the Highway.

Homewood Suites Convention Center ( NOT Garden Grove) has rooms with multiple bed setups that seems to be a favorite among larger families. It is also walking distance to the toy story lot and still about 20 minute walk to gates depending on speed :)

Was the pool loud? It looks like it backs the Highway.
It does back up to I-5 but there was minimal road noise inside that we noticed. We travel with a white noise machine anyway.

I have no idea if the pool was noisy. My hubby took the kids once and they didn't notice the noise. I was too tired from all the Disney fun! The pool is smaller but salt water rather than chlorine which is awesome.

Seriously the Element was one of the nicest and most comfortable hotels I've stayed at in a long time. Full disclosure: We have family that work for Marriott so we can get stellar hotel rates and we are 100% biased towards Marriotts but I'd share if I thought it was crappy. This will be our go to hotel especially if I can get our discount there!

Homewood Suites Convention Center ( NOT Garden Grove) has rooms with multiple bed setups that seems to be a favorite among larger families. It is also walking distance to the toy story lot and still about 20 minute walk to gates depending on speed :)
This is where we generally stay. But I don’t think they hold 8. There is a king bed + 3 single beds and the couch.

$337/night at Desert Inn & Suites, less if you adjust days to start on Sunday. Priced using 6/9 as starting date for 5 nights. B1 (4 queen beds, 2 full bathrooms), C1 (4 queens, 1.5 bathrooms, 2 sleeping areas) or C2 (4 queens + pull out sofa, 2 bathrooms, 3 sleeping areas) are all options.

It's clean, close (1 motel from the pedestrian crosswalk), safe. Moderately comfortable. Indoor pool and hot tub (not my preferred, but somethings better than nothing). Sack breakfast (danish, piece of fruit, and bottled water if I remember correctly). You might hear that the beds are extra firm; from what I've read, the suite mattresses are changed out more often, and therefore are softer.

For what it's worth, most motels won't allow people sleeping on the floors, as it would create a safety hazard in the event of an emergency.

Kings Inn Anaheim. $100 a night or less per room for 2 queen beds. We had two of those type rooms with connecting doors. 15 minute easy walk to Disney. Basic, clean, motel style hotel.

Years ago we stayed at the Castle Inn and Suites. It had rooms with 4 queens. And we walked. It was just your basic hotel, but clean and the staff was great. Of course, this was years ago, so more recent reviews may differ

Desert Inn and Suites is close and has suites to fit your family. But the best prices are found many, many months in advance so not sure how affordable they are now. We booked almost a year in advance, I think, and got a parlor suite (2 queen beds, 1 pull out couch) for $159 a night but I'm sure it's way more now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter