Family of 7 what would you do

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
We have been renting a car for our trips the last few years and have this spoiled ourselves with never waiting on a bus, etc. We are normally only a family of 4. We have family coming with us in June and planning to stay at Wilderness Lodge. It will be 5 adults and 2 small kids (one who gets carsick just riding to/from the airport). We will all be flying so I’m really on the fence with what to do. I don’t see all 7 of us fitting in anything, especially not with luggage. Do we rent two vehicles ($$$$$), do airport transfer to help with luggage then rent one vehicle that fits 7 but no luggage, or do we just skip the rental all together, splurge on private airport transfer and rely in only on Disney transportation while there.

As a family of 6 we would rent a minivan and limit luggage to one backpack and one carry-on size suitcase per person. Never had any trouble getting the luggage and people into the 8 person minivan.

With two groups of people, however, and if you're staying onsite, I would go with a transfer service and rely on Disney transportation while you're there, unless you plan to go offsite for shopping/dining. I think it will be easier and less expensive in the long run rather than paying for two rental cars and parking.

What I would do? One of two things...

1) If I *REALLY* wanted to stay on site, arrange for airport transfer (either private or shared), use Disney transportation, and forego the rental. Especially with a large group, this allows part of a group to return to the hotel easily if needed.

2) Stay off site using VRBO and use the money saved to get two vehicles... one a 7 passenger minivan and a second standard sized car. Just factor parking into the cost.

Private transportation. We have 8 of us, including 3 kids who need boosters. They met us at the doors by luggage pick up and we only waited a few min

As a family of 6 we would rent a minivan and limit luggage to one backpack and one carry-on size suitcase per person. Never had any trouble getting the luggage and people into the 8 person minivan.

With two groups of people, however, and if you're staying onsite, I would go with a transfer service and rely on Disney transportation while you're there, unless you plan to go offsite for shopping/dining. I think it will be easier and less expensive in the long run rather than paying for two rental cars and parking.
We do like to do a few things offsite like go to the grocery, outlets, run to the drug store, maybe a meal or two out but those aren't must do things either. We have done a minivan with 6 before and fit quite comfortably even with luggage and a stroller, but something about adding that extra adult in the backseat just seems like a squeeze. My 7 year old gets carsick in the 3rd row so I can't put both kids back there.

What I would do? One of two things...

1) If I *REALLY* wanted to stay on site, arrange for airport transfer (either private or shared), use Disney transportation, and forego the rental. Especially with a large group, this allows part of a group to return to the hotel easily if needed.

2) Stay off site using VRBO and use the money saved to get two vehicles... one a 7 passenger minivan and a second standard sized car. Just factor parking into the cost.
We are DVC members so definitely staying onsite and we don't have to pay for resort parking either. I may ask if they want to have a second rental car which gives them more options to visit offsite.

I’d get a private transfer. You can always Lyft/Uber/Minivan (separate parties) during your trip if you don’t want to use Disney transportation.

I'd rent a premium SUV like a Suburban which is usually comparable in price or lower than mini van and can hold 8. Fit what luggage you can and then have one or two adults Uber over separately with the balance of the luggage.

I would do private transportation to/from the airport, then rent a vehicle from the Car Care Center after I got to the Wilderness Lodge.

We just used private transportation last week for our family of 10 (6 adults 4 kids)and used Tiffany Town Car. They were absolutely great both ways. We had a van and we all Fit comfortably with all our luggage. They also provided a car seat and two booster seats. Round trip was $270 not including the tip. Both drivers were so good that I tipped higher than the recommended 20%.

We didn’t use it but they also offer a free grocery stop.

Are the other 3 another family or is this something like grandparents tagging along. If it is two families then I would have each family rent their own car just so you don't have to always travel in a pack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter