Family of 6

BellesLibrarian

Earning My Ears
This is our first time going as a family of 6 - what resort do you recommend that is cost effective? Our kids are ages 8, 6, 4, & 1. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would look into the family suites at Art of Animation, AllStar Music (which will, most likely be cheaper) or, if space isn't a huge concern, also look into a room at Port Orleans-Riverside which can sleep 5 plus one guest under the age of 3. These will be your most cost effective options. Caribbean Beach will also sleep 5 but is undergoing construction at the moment, so I wouldn't recommend that right now.

Your cheapest (comfortable) options will be two rooms at a Value Resort, putting an adult in each room and requesting connecting, or a Family Suite at Art of Animation or All Star Music.

Because one of your children is under age 3, you can also cram yourself into any unit that fits 5. Among typical resort rooms, in order of relative cost:
  • Caribbean Beach Resort
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • Contemporary (Garden Wing)
  • Beach Club/Yacht Club/Boardwalk (all in the same price range)
  • Grand Floridian or Poly (same price range, which is to say pricey)
In general, I'd not recommend 5+baby in a unit that sleeps 5, because it is tight, especially with all the debris that comes with kids.

With villas, you could again cram into any unit that fits 5, pending availability, but would otherwise need a 2BR unit, which no matter how it is booked is likely to be pricier than a Family Suite or 2 units, but would have a kitchen and W/D.

Your cheapest (comfortable) options will be two rooms at a Value Resort, putting an adult in each room and requesting connecting, or a Family Suite at Art of Animation or All Star Music.

Because one of your children is under age 3, you can also cram yourself into any unit that fits 5. Among typical resort rooms, in order of relative cost:
  • Caribbean Beach Resort
  • Port Orleans Riverside
In general, I'd not recommend 5+baby in a unit that sleeps 5, because it is tight, especially with all the debris that comes with kids.

With villas, you could again cram into any unit that fits 5, pending availability, but would otherwise need a 2BR unit, which no matter how it is booked is likely to be pricier than a Family Suite or 2 units, but would have a kitchen and W/D.

Thank you so much. Do you think the likelihood of being able to get connecting rooms would be high, or should I stick with something else? I'd really like us to be all together.

Connecting rooms are a request only, there is no way of knowing what the odds would be. If you do decide on two rooms, make connecting rooms your only request.

Thank you so much. Do you think the likelihood of being able to get connecting rooms would be high, or should I stick with something else? I'd really like us to be all together.

It is not something you can book, connecting rooms are purely a request. If you don't want to take the chance book an All Star Suite. They are much cheaper than the suites at AOA, and you will get the guarantee of being together in one space. I wouldn't do a legal 6 in a moderate. I've done it once, and it was pretty horrible, imho. Very tight.

Thank you for the ideas! It was always easy to book hotels as a family of 4 and 5, but it has surprised me how this one little person changed things so much for vacations. ha

• Caribbean Beach Resort
  • Port Orleans Riverside

We are a family of six with similar aged kids and last year our youngest was 2 so we “crammed” ourselves into one room at the Polynesian. The one room at the Polynesian had a discount that was better then one suite at art of animation. We were surprised at how much room we did have in the hotel room as I believe the Polynesian and grand Floridian rooms are the biggest square footage of the on site rooms. I would not try to fit into one room at the port orleans, carribean, or beach/yacht/boardwalk since those rooms are smaller. We were able to fit a crib at the Polynesian without much problem. Our issue was sharing the one bathroom, especially with potty training....
I think going forward, now that our youngest turned 3, we are going to get two rooms for the extra space, bathroom, and fridge!!

The Polynesian Village studio's will be a little bigger / more functional for 6 than the Poly DVC Villa Studios as they have a different layout. The extra shower area in the Poly Villa's take up a lot of room. The Poly Studios fit 5 comfortably with 2 beds and a convertible sofa, with still room for strollers, pool noodles etc.. So that would be an option. As above, these are the bigger studio's on Disney Property and have all the amenities you need with the bonus of being close to the MK with the monorail etc...

The cabins at fort Wilderness would be a good shout too, but depending on where your cabin is, getting to transport can be tricky in our experience.

The Port Orleans and others are just too tight, I would look at the pricing for the Contemporary and the Boulder Ridge Villa's Studio, as they are a good size too, with large bed, sofa bed and pull down murphy sleeper too...... Failing that, I would be tempted to see if there were any great deals on some of the offsite / onsite hotels such as the Wyndham Bonnet Creek and see if they have a 2 or 3 bedroom available.

It all depends on what your budget it is and what your priorities are. I don't think there is such a thing as cost effective at Disney lol

We are a family of 6, and did stay once in POR, when my youngest was 1. It was fine, biggest challenge was the one bathroom. We have stayed in ASMusic family suites, which was great but we didn't love the resort. We have most recent done 2 connecting rooms at Pop and that was also great. We knew the connecting room request was only a request, but we had no issues :)

My suggestion is an Executive Suite at the Swan or Dolphin.

No Magical Express or dining plan, but if you time your trip for when they are not having any big events, you won’t beat the price or amenities anywhere on property.

There are drop down beds in DVC Studios too. Those rooms are bigger than a POR 5 person room, and you have the balcony, free laundry and a kitchenette. A high chair and pack n play are included too.

I’m so glad you asked this. We are a family of 6 as well. My kids will be 8,5,3,&1 when we go in November. I was planning on doing the CBR, but am kinda second guessing myself. I don’t want to do separate rooms though.

There are drop down beds in DVC Studios too. Those rooms are bigger than a POR 5 person room, and you have the balcony, free laundry and a kitchenette. A high chair and pack n play are included too.
Not every DVC studio, so it's important to check the occupancy.

I would say the cabins at Ft. Wilderness. The bedroom has a queen bed and double bunks - the kids would love those. Then, the living room has a full size sleeper sofa. We really like them.

I would definitely recommend a family suite at Art of Animation. We are only a family of five, but found it to be very spacious and having the two bathrooms was super convenient!

We are a family with 8 kids. When we only had 4 kids, we "squeezed" into an Contemporary room that allowed 5 and an infant. We also "squeezed" into Port Orleans Riverside while our son was still 2. I would definitely look into a Moderate room that sleeps 5 + an infant or a even Deluxe room. Once our son turned 3 and our family grew, we have done 2 rooms at a Value. The kids love the Value but I am thankful we did get to stay at a nicer hotel a couple of times. The cost for 2 Mods is definitely out of our budget!

Edit: We have always gotten 2 connecting rooms at the Value hotel over the years but I have read that some people have not always been lucky. We homeschool our kids so we usually went in Sept. for free dining. Once we went in late Nov/early Dec. I wonder if those who didn't get connecting rooms went during busier times.

We're also a family of 6 and have gone twice since our youngest was born (she's 2 now). We stayed in an OKW 1 br villa (rented points from a DVC member I know) when she was 1. The resort was ok, wasn't particularly special IMO. The boat to Disney Springs was nice. The 1 br villa was HUGE, twice the size of AOA, but only fits 5 technically (that's another discussion entirely...). We stayed at CBR last month. It was tight but wasn't that bad. We had the youngest in a pack n play, my middle two sharing a queen and the oldest (7) in the murphy bed.

We stayed at AOA when my middle two (twins) were smaller for the bedroom. We looooove that resort but it's pricy.

For the cheapest option, I would do CBR again (or another moderate). The 1 br villas have the most space. I personally think AOA is the best balance of space and incredible theming for the little ones. Our next trip will probably be at ASMusic for costs but if AOA wasn't $100 more, we'd go back there in a heartbeat

Also, if you want to go the cheapest option, the DoubleTree Suites near Disney Springs are $150 a night for a 1 br suite. If you book via Mousesavers, you also get free continental breakfast. We haven't done that, but the biggest negatives there are not being in the Disney bubble and the buses dropping off farther away. The plus side is its walkable to Disney Springs.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter