Family of 5 moving from 2 rooms to 1...

lindaso

DIS Veteran
We have always booked 2 rooms for our family of 5. Only one kid doesn't get the good bed each night and having 2 showers and TV's is a huge bonus for us. I keep dreaming about a concierge cruise but the 1 BR suite is crazy expensive. In the family stateroom, it looks like 2 kids will have to share a pullout and 1 kid will need to sleep in the ceiling bed. So what I'm asking is does anyone have experience moving a family of 5 used to 2 rooms into 1 room? And will concierge make up for it? I feel like we will need to start showering at 3:00 for late dinner!!

Actually for 5 in one room, there are three single beds for the kids. The pull out is a single bed, with a ceiling bunk right above it. Right next to the two is a murphy bed which comes out of the wall, which is also a twin. Good luck moving back to one room, we're 4 and only go with two rooms, it's the two bathrooms that does it for us!

There are 6 of us so we have to do two rooms. IMPO, I would stick with 2 rooms if at all possible. I couldn't imagine trying to do it with that little space and one bathroom and 5 people all crammed in. That being said, we didn't spend a ton of time in the room, but enough time that I still think it would be hard. Also, you didn't mention the age of your children but my oldest pre-teen needs more space lately. :lmao: Another thing, on our last cruise we had bad weather and DD got really sea sick. It was nice having a separate bathroom and room for her to lie down in.

For the cruise I'm planning, the kids will be 16, 14 and 11. It will be DCL cruise #6...all 5 before have been in 2 rooms. But concierge would be soooo nice!!!!!;)

Does anyone have any pictures or links of the concierge room with the beds made up? I didn't know it was a Murphy bed...that would be much better. Oh and we're talking Fantasy or Dream.

Actually for 5 in one room, there are three single beds for the kids. The pull out is a single bed, with a ceiling bunk right above it. Right next to the two is a murphy bed which comes out of the wall, which is also a twin. Good luck moving back to one room, we're 4 and only go with two rooms, it's the two bathrooms that does it for us!
According the DCL website, this is not true:

Specifications • Sleeps: 5
•Size: 306 sq. ft. including verandah
•Room Configuration: Queen-size bed, double convertible sofa, upper berth pull-down bed, full bath (vanity, sink, round tub and shower), half bath (vanity, sink and toilet)
•View: Private verandah

According the DCL website, this is not true:

Specifications • Sleeps: 5
•Size: 306 sq. ft. including verandah
•Room Configuration: Queen-size bed, double convertible sofa, upper berth pull-down bed, full bath (vanity, sink, round tub and shower), half bath (vanity, sink and toilet)
•View: Private verandah

I believe the Concierge family stateroom does have a double-bed instead of the single sofa and pull-down murphy bed. (the murphy bed is in the 4's).

We did the opposite of you. We went from 4 people in one room to 5 people in two rooms (adding my dd's bff). We did fine with 4 in one room but decided we really did not want to go with 5. Like you said, it would take forever just to get showers done.

Sorry, I have not done concierge on the ships so I can't say for sure it is worth giving up the second room for. But in my opinion, I don't think it would be worth it for us. I would only do it if I could swing for the one-bedroom.

Yes, a Cat V has a double sofa bed and a pull down ceiling bed as its 3-5 person sleepers.

With regards to space, we felt that the Cat V was spacious enough for us because the lounge acts as a secondary living space. There's a TV in there (as well as 2 TVs in the Cat V), and we spent quite a bit of time in there just relaxing. Plus the Concierge sundeck is another place to lounge. We had one kid on the double sleeper and a pack'n play eating more space, but it was still bigger than a Cat 7 on the previous cruise.

Also, if you feel pressed for more bathroom space, the fitness center has nice, full size, showers that are complimentary and located on Deck 11 (as are some Cat V rooms). You could take advantage of those when you're pressed for time...send Dad there. ;)

Try it once, if it doesn't work, then you know. At least its a trial run on a 3-4 nighter instead of 7+. :thumbsup2

For the cruise I'm planning, the kids will be 16, 14 and 11. It will be DCL cruise #6...all 5 before have been in 2 rooms. But concierge would be soooo nice!!!!!;)

Does anyone have any pictures or links of the concierge room with the beds made up? I didn't know it was a Murphy bed...that would be much better. Oh and we're talking Fantasy or Dream.

It has three beds; Master, pull-out couch and Murphy. Look at the images of the cabin on DCL site and the couch is in front of TV(chairs and table are moved) and Murphy is next to the small desk and the Walk-in closet.

we did the Family ocean view on the Fantasy, which was around 265 sq ft, I believe. We had the 3 separate beds for the kids (12,12,16). It was VERY tight with 5 persons with tweens/teens--but they each had a good comfy bed. I would not have done 2 kids on pull out sofa together for a week--maybe 3-4 days.

When we cruised before we had 2 rooms for family of 5, but for our next fantasy cruise i booked cat V. I'm afraid of missing the extra space, but excited for the perks.

Concierge is nice. You have priority boarding, so a better chance of upgrading, depending on availability.;)

BTW. There is no Murphy bed in a Cat V.

Yes, a Cat V has a double sofa bed and a pull down ceiling bed as its 3-5 person sleepers.

With regards to space, we felt that the Cat V was spacious enough for us because the lounge acts as a secondary living space. There's a TV in there (as well as 2 TVs in the Cat V), and we spent quite a bit of time in there just relaxing. Plus the Concierge sundeck is another place to lounge. We had one kid on the double sleeper and a pack'n play eating more space, but it was still bigger than a Cat 7 on the previous cruise.

Also, if you feel pressed for more bathroom space, the fitness center has nice, full size, showers that are complimentary and located on Deck 11 (as are some Cat V rooms). You could take advantage of those when you're pressed for time...send Dad there. ;)

Try it once, if it doesn't work, then you know. At least its a trial run on a 3-4 nighter instead of 7+. :thumbsup2

This exactly what we did but with a family of 4. Worked well no complaints from DW or our 2 DDs. :) Enjoyed so much, we booked NYE concierge on the Dream.

We were a family of 5 on the Magic family stateroom in 2010. We are on the Dream next year family Concierge, but we may be only 4. I think the perks of concierge and the rooms decor alone are worth going from 2 to 1.

My sons can not wait for the priority boarding, the concierge lounge and all it's goodies, the sun deck, free ipad rentals, 100 free Internet minutes, and free arcade card.

The cabin looks gorgeous. I have boys so they are quick with showers but when they cruise they tend to shower off after pool or hot tub before coming back for dinner.

I say go for Cat. V.....:dance3:

We are 5 and have done both one and two rooms. I will say the second bathroom is nice but, it is not a deal breaker for me. I book based off of price.

Truly, we are not in the room often enough to really care.

We only cruise with 2 rooms for 5 people. The extra bathroom, space, etc is so much better. We are able to get 2 rooms usually for less than booking 5 in the family staterooms.

Thanks all...I was hoping to make this a surprise but I really think we'll need to discuss it as a family. I think I need the kids (and the hubby) to agree not to complain about the beds, the bathroom and the family closeness if they get the concierge perks. Sharing a pullout could be a deal breaker though :confused:

It's issues like these that will cost me grandchildren...my older two insist they are not having more than 2 kids b/c it makes vacations too complicated!!!!! :scared1:

We always booked 2 connecting rooms for our family of 5. On our last DCL cruise, we went with 1 room with veranda. I would NOT do that again: 1. when the murphy bed is down, you have difficult access to the drawers and the veranda 2. your room stewart takes the murphy bed up and down each day (I like control) 3. one bathroom is a challenge (esp. if someone is seasick).

We are heading to Alaska in July and I am thankful to have 2 rooms again!

We always booked 2 connecting rooms for our family of 5. On our last DCL cruise, we went with 1 room with veranda. I would NOT do that again: 1. when the murphy bed is down, you have difficult access to the drawers and the veranda 2. your room stewart takes the murphy bed up and down each day (I like control) 3. one bathroom is a challenge (esp. if someone is seasick).

We are heading to Alaska in July and I am thankful to have 2 rooms again!

Exactly our experience. We will stick with 2 rooms!

That said, we've never splurged on concierge. That said, I don't think I'd do it unless we had one of the larger Cat T rooms.

We are a family of 6 . When all 6 travel its two rooms for sure . However , last summer I took the 4 boys on the dream for a 5 night cruise . We stayed in a family verandah room . One room , split bath , 4 boys aged 15 and older and mom . My boys can take a long time dressing etc but we were able to manage showers etc with little complaints or rushing . With all beds made up at night the room is a tad tight for moving around but during the day no issues . I'd rather save the money by doing one room and splurging on other cruise amenities such as cabana , spa treat and palo then pay for a second room for a bathroom . Plus it was family time and we enjoyed the time together . As they are all pretty independent due to age having all of us together for any length of time is rare ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter