Family of 12 Disney Trip

Depending on when you are going. I would suggest look out for gift card sales at the places you plan on stopping at. i know 1/2 twice a year steak ans shake has a buy 20 gift a 5 free.
Also if you have some time do bing searches daily. Sign up, you can get a 5 dollar gift a month, just for doing internet searches.
I would look to see if Mcdonalds still has their family pack available. 4 cheeseburgers, 4 chicken sandwiches, two large fries, and an option to add nuggets. For about 15.00
Idea for souvenirs. Do what my family does, stop at the welcome center at every state you stop at. They tend to have state maps. Great souvenirs. Also Florida's welcome center is the best and offers you a chance to get a sunset pass, discounted toll roads.

Does the double burger with an extra bun trick still work? I thought you couldn't do that anymore. I guess I could bring a bag of buns in. Haha!
Was at tortuga tavern once where a lady just wanted to pay for a large bowl of ground beef. It was like half the price of the burrito bowl. They gave her a generous bowl of beef. They were sitting next to us where I was able to witness the "magic". She went into her cooler and opened up 2 Taco Bell taco kit along with salsa, bag of lettuce, shredded cheese, and chips. All 6 of them probably ate for less than $10.

Not sure if the 12, 14, and 16 year old are boys, but a kids meal will probably not fill up most boys at that age, I would definitely bring in some snacks to supplement. This is a very nice thing you are doing for your younger siblings. Good luck!

One suggestion I'd make is, if you're planning to get the chicken nuggets kids' meals, I'd instead get the 8 piece adult chicken nugget meal and share. The kids' nuggets are fairly small and flat, formed nuggets. The adult nuggets are chunks of chicken with better breading. I think an adult meal of 8 pieces is about $10. They give you lots of fries, which you could easily share, and you either drink soda you've brought from the condo or free ice water. Even if you buy a large drink for $3, you're still roughly equal to the cost of 2 kids' meals and the nuggets are way better. Restaurants that I can think of where this would be a good option are Cosmic Ray's (MK) and Backlot Express (DHS). The kids' meal pizzas at Pizza Planet and Pizzafari would be pretty filling, and another good option for in-park meals. One of my favorite little spots to grab some "non fast food" is near the Hall of Presidents. I don't recall the name offhand, but it's like an outdoor market and they have good-sized baked potatoes that are delicious, corn on the cob, and other choices. If I don't want a full meal, but a substantial snack, I sometimes grab a potato there. Also, if you have chips and drinks that you bring in, you can get pretty good corndogs from a few vendors in MK for about $5, IIRC.

Other than that, I think you're probably well prepared.

Oh, and no, there is no longer a double-burger option at Pecos Bill's so don't bother bringing the extra bun.

Looks like you've done a great job researching good deals. I'd try and replace one of your fast food meals with a fast meal at the condo because that would be alot of chicken nuggets and fries for my family. Pasta and sauce would be quick, easy and cheap. Have fun!

The Steak and Shake we usually go has a drive-through window so if you do that, you don't even need to tip as much, I guess? (Please let me know if I need to tip if I ever do drive-through at Steak and Shake).

Last edited:
Looks like you've done a great job researching good deals. I'd try and replace one of your fast food meals with a fast meal at the condo because that would be alot of chicken nuggets and fries for my family. Pasta and sauce would be quick, easy and cheap. Have fun!
pasta is a good idea. Fills you up and you can probably feed everyone for under $10.

Tolls yes! I'm glad I asked because I fo remember the high tolls.

I have to figure out the food budget for the group out as a whole because we are taking our 5 younger siblings and my parents can not go and can't afford to pitch in at all. The kids obviously can't budget for themselves with no jobs. I am the budget guru of our family and I love it so that job has been given to me.

The kids meals will be more food than splitting an adult meal between two people and variety is not an issue. The goal is just to get full bellies without eating sandwiches 6 days in a row. I plan on doing kids meals for two days so burgers and fries are fine. I know pecos bills offers a nice toppings bar. Do any other places offer good toppings bars?

I have figured up our food budget meal by meal and come up around $950 including 10% tax and 15% tips. Less if I add in more meals at the condo. I realize of course table service won't be happening on this trip. These kids don't get to go on vacation or eat out. Ever. (Except my own kid.) So being in disney and eating chick fil a is going to be a dream come true for them. Eating table service will not be a deal breaker.

Thanks for suggestions so far! If anyone knows of a place with better/bigger kids meals than another or a place with a great toppings bar let me know!
If you aren't eating table service meals, you won't need tip money.

My adult brother and sister and I are taking our spouses, kids, and younger siblings to disney world in July. The party includes kids ages 1, 3, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 5 adults. We have been able to get our total cost down to around 5500. This includes:

Condo for 7 nights (this is booked)- $600 all fees included

Gas for two vehicles - $450

6 day base tickets using the Y.E.S program for one adult and the 5 older kids and cheaptickets/ebates for the preschooler and 4 other adults - $3023

Parking for two vehicles for 6 days - 200

Hotel rooms on the way there and back (these are booked) - 200

Food (a combo of eating at the condo, eating cheap in the parks, and eating out offsite) - $1000

The kids will be responsible for any souvenir or snack money.

I have a family of light eaters. All breakfasts and some dinners will be in the condo. We will be doing one trails to go meal at ft wilderness because two of the 10 pc meals will feed everyone and the total would only be $50. I was considering packing some lunches, but was also thinking about just doing kids meals in the parks. Most of us eat kids meals outside of disney on a fairly regular basis and I think they could be a good lunch option for us. If we buy one $6 kids meal each the total would be $72 before tax. $72 to feed 12 ppl in disney seems totally reasonable and I think it would fit into our budget just fine. My question is which places have the biggest kids meal serving sizes?

I also wanted to know if I am missing anything from my budget. Is there any way to cut these costs that I am not seeing? TIA!

When are you going? That could also make a difference on what you need to bring into the park and the types of foods you will want to eat and the amount you will want to eat. I know we don't eat as much when we go in the summer, because it is so hot we just aren't that hungry. Also, if you are taking cars, you could possibly bring a large cooler to the park and go out to grab lunches a couple of days with refreshing cold drinks. We have gone to Disney many times, sometimes on a shoe string budget. There is a Walmart near to Disney where you can purchase your groceries. That being said, I would still start stocking up on snacks etc... that you can take in with you. Things like crackers with peanut butter. Peanuts, the small single serving size. Often if you eat a breakfast high in protein, you can go quite a while without feeling hungry. We use to go to the parks and go back to the condo for a late lunch, because we had plenty of snacks. If you could eat sandwiches from your car a couple of days, then maybe everyone could eat whatever they wanted for lunch in the park a couple of days. Also, your group is very large and diverse age wise. You won't want or be able to stay together all the time. I hope your family has a very magical trip!!

I am not sure where you live, but I live where there is a Publix chain of grocery stores. They tend to run a gas card deal where if you spend $50 in groceries you can buy a $50 gas gift card for $40. I have been collecting them for our trip (I estimated how much very expensive gas would be X miles). I am saving 20% on gas this way. Perhaps you have something similar in your area? I am also buying Disney gift cards through sam's club $150 for $142.98 or 50 for for 48.88. Every little bit helps when you are trying to stretch your dollars! :D

If you grocery shop in Florida (as opposed to bringing everything with you), I know they have Publix there as well. Their B1G1 deals are great, especially when stacked with a coupon (I personally find better quality food and prices there than Walmart). Depending on what day of the week you leave, before you leave, you can always match up the local grocery store sales ad to coupon and use them when you go shopping. I use southernsavers to match up the ads and coupons for me.

Check out www.giftcardgranny.com for the websites with the highest percentage off of gift certificates for the restaurants you are going to.
I checked Steak n Shake and GiftCardZen has 21.5% off of their gift cards. I've used them before with no issues. They have a one year gaurantee on their cards.

The only one I would be concerned about is Raise.com Those are coming directly from individuals and there's a higher chance of fraud. People have had issues with some of their gift cards.

Right now our plan for meals is as follows. I have added in more eating out. We can change that if we need to though.

Cereal, granola bars, fruit in condo for breakfasts. Bought from aldi to get the best prices. :)

Chick fil a 2x - 4 nuggets each for the babies, 6 nuggets each for kids, 8 nuggets each for adults, share 6 orders of fries, $40 each time with tax after using $10 gift card earned through survey mini

McDonald's 2x - 3 20 pc nuggets, 2 mcdoubles, 3 large fries - $30 per meal with tax

Taco Bell 2x - 24 dollar cravings items - $30 per meal with tax

Little ceasars 2x - 3 $5 pizzas - $17 with tax

Steak and shake 2x - 8 $4 meals for oldest people, 4 free kids meals (on weekend) - $40 with tax and tip

Subway to take to parks 2x - 6 $6 footlongs, take chips and fruit - $40 per meal with tax

Trails to go at Ft Wilderness on MK days 2x - 2 10 PC meals to share - $55 with tax per meal

Disney kids meals 2x - 1 $7 kids meal each - $85 per meal with tax

Earl of sandwich - 5 free sandwich vouchers, buy 3 sandwiches, take chips and fruit - under $25 with tax

Rotisserie chicken from Walmart with corn and Kraft Mac and cheese 2x - $25 per meal with tax

Fazolis - adults order one meal under $7, kids eat for $.99 (on tues), $45 with tax (this will be on the way home as there isn't a fazolis in orlando)

We will buy sodas at the store as well as snacks, fruit, chips, etc to supplement meals. Free water at the parks.

That's a lot of chicken nuggets.

But if that's ok with everyone, I'd just want to make sure you have portioned sized for the older kids appropriately. My 6 year old eats 6 nuggets no problem, and he's a skinny little boy. I'm not sure 6 nuggets would cut it for a 12, 14 or 16 year old (particularly if they are boys). Teenagers can EAT.

I think I'd be tempted to cook a dinner or 2 in the condo cheaply (say spaghetti or tacos) and use the savings there to loosen the meal budget a bit.

No publix here. :(

We are going in summer. July to be exact!

Giftcardgranny is a great idea!

The 14 and 16 yr old are at my house fairly regularly and order 6 nuggets at both chick fil a and McDonald's. I'm pretty sure they don't eat out much unless they are with me so I guess that is their norm.

No publix here. :(

We are going in summer. July to be exact!

Giftcardgranny is a great idea!

The 14 and 16 yr old are at my house fairly regularly and order 6 nuggets at both chick fil a and McDonald's. I'm pretty sure they don't eat out much unless they are with me so I guess that is their norm.
But remember, they are going to be walking many miles which will boost their metabolism and make them even hungrier.

Did you budget in items that you will need in your condo? We had to buy toilet paper, dishwashing liquid, etc when staying in a condo. They normally only give you start up items.

Good point on the condo items! I will ask the owners.

I may add in a dinner or two at the condo. It's really only 4 chicken nuggets meals though spread out over 10 days. Not what I would normally eat, but not ridiculous for this particular situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter