• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family boarding with Southwest

Keli

<font color=darkcoral>We're smarter than the avera
This year my daughter, son in law and their three children (5yrs, 4yrs, and 2yrs at time of trip) are all booked on the same southwest flight as hubby and I. Actually my daughter booked that flight specifically because I already had our tickets and she want us to help them with the kids (and the luggage and three car seats). Will hubby and I be able to board with our daughter and her family when they let families with small children board? That's likely to be the most stressful time for them since they'll have so many small ones and car seats to deal with plus any carry on luggage. We did not purchase our tickets with the same account. I bought ours on my account and they bought theirs on their account. Thanks!

With three children, you will at least be able to get three adults boarding with them. The last person is at the discretion of the gate agent.

From the website: "An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding."

Normally, each child, six and under, is permitted to board with one adult in Family Boarding (between A and B boarding groups). I imagine three small children boarding with four adults will not be a problem.

Last edited:
They might let 1 of you board so it is one adult per child, but I wouldn’t count on it. Flights to MCO are full of families so they really have to limit family boarding.

What I would try to do is send three adults and the two oldest on board w/ all three car seats while one adult stays in the gate area w/ the 2yo. Let the first three adults install the seats and stow the bags, then after about 10 min or so, have the 2yo and their adult board. That way the 2yo can burn off the last minute energy and everyone has the assistance they need. :-) It also reduces the amount of time people are blocking the aisle as the car seats are installed.

We used to have dh board first w/ the car seat during family boarding and once our younger one arrived, he would take our older dd w/ him.

What I would try to do is send three adults and the two oldest on board w/ all three car seats while one adult stays in the gate area w/ the 2yo. Let the first three adults install the seats and stow the bags, then after about 10 min or so, have the 2yo and their adult board.
Yes, this!!!!!!

This year my daughter, son in law and their three children (5yrs, 4yrs, and 2yrs at time of trip) are all booked on the same southwest flight as hubby and I. Actually my daughter booked that flight specifically because I already had our tickets and she want us to help them with the kids (and the luggage and three car seats). Will hubby and I be able to board with our daughter and her family when they let families with small children board? That's likely to be the most stressful time for them since they'll have so many small ones and car seats to deal with plus any carry on luggage. We did not purchase our tickets with the same account. I bought ours on my account and they bought theirs on their account. Thanks!
is the oldest in a carseat or a highback booster that just uses car belt? if it is the booster will not be allowed to use on plane as the plane only has lap belt not the shoulder/lapbelt needed for booster

I'm not sure how the oldest car seat is secured to the seat (or any of them for that matter) I'll have to ask them about that. But it does have it's own seat belts on the seat, it has the five point harness. Right now the plan is to rent a car at the airport when we arrive. We haven't got a reservation for our first two nights and we're leaning towards staying off site those nights and renting a car until we check in to a disney resort.

It is recommended that most 5yos continue to use a harnessed seat due to maturity, but many have started some booster use by that age.

If the 5yo will be traveling with a booster, a low back booster can easily be carried on the plane and stowed under the seat. It fits within the dimensions of a carry on and could be considered the 5yo's personal item.

Both of my kids carried their own booster seats through the airport, along with their backpack when we traveled while they were using boosters.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the oldest car seat is secured to the seat (or any of them for that matter) I'll have to ask them about that. But it does have it's own seat belts on the seat, it has the five point harness. Right now the plan is to rent a car at the airport when we arrive. We haven't got a reservation for our first two nights and we're leaning towards staying off site those nights and renting a car until we check in to a disney resort.
then if it says air plane useable it will be okay. with a 5 point harness and using that will but not just using car belts. our one granddaughter just moved out of 5 point to using car belts with her seat which made it nonusable on the plane

I've heard them specifically say parents and siblings. I've seen them turn away grandparents to board in their ticketed position.

I've heard them specifically say parents and siblings. I've seen them turn away grandparents to board in their ticketed position.

Agree with the above and they tend to be strict about this - but in the OP's case they "may" let one additional person board as there are 3 children under 6.

Honestly though I would not use a car seat for a 4 and 5 year old as it will put them in a position so that they will be quite close to the seat in front of them (could cause accidental seat kicking) and they won't be able to use the tray table. In which case 2 parents should be able to manage fine with the 3 kids.

Agree with the above and they tend to be strict about this - but in the OP's case they "may" let one additional person board as there are 3 children under 6.

Honestly though I would not use a car seat for a 4 and 5 year old as it will put them in a position so that they will be quite close to the seat in front of them (could cause accidental seat kicking) and they won't be able to use the tray table. In which case 2 parents should be able to manage fine with the 3 kids.
I may be wrong, but don't FAA regulations stipulate that only one car seat may be in each row and it must be in the window seat? It's been over 10 years since we flew with a car seat, but IIRC, we were told that DD's car seat had to be in the window seat because if it were in the middle or aisle seat, it could block the egress of those in the window or middle seat in case of emergency. Like I said, I could definitely be wrong, but it's something to check into if it could effect your plans.

I may be wrong, but don't FAA regulations stipulate that only one car seat may be in each row and it must be in the window seat? It's been over 10 years since we flew with a car seat, but IIRC, we were told that DD's car seat had to be in the window seat because if it were in the middle or aisle seat, it could block the egress of those in the window or middle seat in case of emergency. Like I said, I could definitely be wrong, but it's something to check into if it could effect your plans.

The FAA regulations stipulate that the car seat cannot block another passenger in case of an emergency, so if you need to you can have more than one car seat in the same row...but many flight attendants aren't familiar with the finer points of the instructions. <sigh>

Since you have four adults and three kids, I would put each kid in their own row with one adult for two... and two adults with one, probably the youngest. If possible, rear face the 2yo (it makes it easier to interact w/ them) and put him/her behind one of the other kids because they won't be able to recline their seat (and sometimes you get push back from the FA or another passenger).

It could look like this:

Empty/Adult/5yo
Empty/Adult/4yo
Adult/Adult/2yo

If you are concerned about the 5yo kicking at all, you could put the second adult in front of the 5yo...but by 5 years old my kids were well past that.

Agreed. Check with the airline, but I believe they will let car seats be checked without counting toward the luggage allowance.

If car seats are used on the plane, PLEASE seat members of one's party directly in front of the carseat(s).

Why don't you just set alarms for 24 hours before your flight time so you can try your best to get A-boarding passes? Or even low B's? You'd be fine with either I think.

Why don't you just set alarms for 24 hours before your flight time so you can try your best to get A-boarding passes? Or even low B's? You'd be fine with either I think.

Ahhh - simple but effective :) Yes OP you could either pay for early bird check in and probably get A or check in at T24 and hope for A, board and then help with the rest of the family (family boarding is after A before B)

IMO:

The 4 & 5 year old won't need a car seat for the plane. I would only put the 2 yo in one. If you aren't renting a car then I wouldn't bring any car seats except for the 2 yo to sit in on the plane. If you are renting, can they just check the car seats at the airlines front desk before security. I am not certain but are car seats no part of your allowed bags? Or is that only when you gate check them. And if it is only for when you gate check them, they can always bring them up before boarding. We just fly with carry on sized luggage and a back pack each but if they say that the flight is full and ask for anyone to bring their bags up to be checked for free we usually do that. That would save some hands. I have flown with a 5 yo, almost 5 yo and neither sat in a car seat on the plane.

The 4 & 5 yo should be able to carry their own "back pack" or whatever they are using at their under seat carry on. It is questionable about the overhead piece of luggage if they can pull it but my kids like to help with their luggage.

I don't know if you will be able to board. I have never flown SW for that one reason, I want seats when I book my flight. They take those in W/C or something similar that need that kind of help with transfers first, I only know this because my mom will fly SW to FL and I put her in a w/c-she will be 80 in a month and her legs are not as strong as they used to be. After she boards and the rest in w/c then they take I think those with the elite status and then is it A boarding and then families or vice versa.

Good Luck!! They won't be the first family to board with out extra hands to handle more kids then parents.

I doubt it will be an issue to have one adult board with one child, which puts one adult on their own. Yes, the medical preboards board first, then the A1-15 group. Then the rest of the A group, followed by family boarding. I would head right to the rear of the plane, you'll have more seating options that way. As already mentioned, the two older kiddos should be able to handle their own carryon bags...my dd started taking care of her bag at the age of 3 (you want to bring it, you get to lug it around!!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter