"Family" bathrooms?

Annie68

DIS Veteran
My Stepfather had a significant CVA 2/07, leaving him with total right sided paralysis :( . We have been to Disney many times over the past 10 years, but this October will be our first trip since his injury. He is 100% wheelchair dependent and needs my Mom's assistance for toileting. He is very uncomfortable with anyone other than my Mom assisting him to the bathroom, so I am concerned about how we will handle this at the parks. Are there individual restrooms, or only the standard male/female? Epcot is the only park they plan on attending on this trip.

I reserved a scooter for him from Walker Medical, thanks to the great threads I have found on this board. We are all a bit nervous, but determined to make this a wonderful trip for him. pixiedust:

This list was current as of last November: :thumbsup2

Companion-assisted restroom facilities are located at all First Aid locations, as well as:

Magic Kingdom Park
* Lower level of Cinderella's Royal Table
* Mickey's Toontown Fair
* Next to Space Mountain
* Pirates of the Caribbean
* Splash Mountain
* Transportation and Ticket Center East Gate

Epcot
* East side of Spaceship Earth
* Innoventions East opposite Test Track
* Innoventions West opposite The Land
* Near the Canada Pavilion
* Near the Germany Pavilion
* Near the Morocco Pavilion
* Near the Norway Pavilion opposite the Viking ship

Disney-MGM Studios
* Fantasmic
* Next to Soundstage 3 Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Play It
* Opposite Star Tours
* Opposite The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
* Rock 'N' Roller Coaster
* To the right of the entrance to Lights, Motors, Action! Stunt Show

Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park
* Asia near Maharajah Jungle Trek
* Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures in Dinoland U.S.A.
* Discovery Island opposite Flame Tree Barbecue
* Harambe Village in the Mombasa Marketplace
* Expedition Everest Area Restrooms
* Conservation Station at Rafiki's Planet Watch

Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park
* To the rear of the Locker area on the north side of Main Change

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
* Near Guest Services
* At First Aid

Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex
* Cracker Jack Stadium
* Tennis Complex

There is also one at DTD in the Marketplace near the bus stop end of Days of Christmas.
HTH:)

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was looking for! :hug:

Can I ask another question? Is it normal that the airline (we are flying Spirit) will not preassign my stepfather's seat? They told us that we will need to arrive 3 hours prior to our flight time to reserve an up front, "blocked" seat. They said he could actually sit in "any seat", but that is ridiculous. He is only able to pivot transfer & has no movement in the right arm or leg. :confused:

In addition to the locations von pluto listed, First Aid in each park has Companion Restrooms. Off the top of my head, I'm only positive where the Magic Kingdom one is - next to Crystal Palace, toward AdventureLand. But the park maps (or any CM in any park) can direct your parents to the others.

Also, while the one in MGM "Next to Soundstage 3 Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Play It" exists, the attraction no longer does (so they don't get lost trying to find it based on that landmark).

As for the airline, well, yes, it depends on the airline. Southwest does not offer preassigned seating, period. AirTran and Skybus do, for a fee. Other airlines generally do let you choose your seat in advance. At any rate, most airlines allow passengers with medical needs to preboard (advantageous only on Southwest; it doesn't matter if he can preboard if an airline places him in row twenty, does it?). Most airlines DO have aisle chairs - narrow wheelchairs that will fit, as the name implies, between the rows of seats.

So - what airline?

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is a link in (I think) post 3 to the WDW Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities, which you can print from the Disney website. There is one for each park and they list all the "Companion Restrooms" (they are not Family Restrooms). You can also get a copy of the Guidebooks at any park in Guest Relations.
First Aid is marked on the park maps and they have lists of Companion Restroom locations for that park.

For the air travel; go to the airline website and look for a Special Needs department. I can't get into the Spirit website, so I don't know how easy it will be to find. Some airlines have an easy to find link under Customer Service. On some you will have to look for it - you can usually find it by looking up "wheelchair". If you call the airline, ask to speak to someone who handles special needs. They may use a different term and the first person may not know what you are asking. If that happens, keep going up the line to supervisors until you find someone who can help you.
This is a link to a helpful document from the US Department of Justice about air travel, which will help you to know your rights.
Most airlines will pre-assign seats to people with disabilities because it is to their benefit - if an appropriate seat is not available, they will need to move other passengers. (Since Southwest doesn't assign seats anyway, letting you board first takes care of that).

Magic Kingdom Park
* Lower level of Cinderella's Royal Table
I would recommend avoiding this Companion Restroom if at all possible.

It used to have a key that you got from the CM checking people in for their meals at the Castle. The last time we used that bathroom, we asked about a key and were told the door was open. DD in her wheelchair and I joined the long line and noticed it seemed to be made up of people who were changing their DDs into Princess costumes for their meal. After about a 15 minute wait, we got in. I hurried DD as much as possible, but just as I got DD out of her wheelchair, we got our first knock on the door and I said that we would hurry as fast as we could, but DD was disabled. (There had been a line behind us, so those behind us had ample opportunity to see DD's wheelchair while we were in line.)
The knocks continued every minute or so the whole time we were in there, punctuated with "Hurry up. My DD needs to change into her Princess dress." The knocks continued every few minutes, so I actually dressed DD again and put her back into her wheelchair without using the bathroom and we planned to head to First Aid. As we exited the Companion Restroom, I felt very uncomfortable because we had a whole line of people glaring at us and one woman started yelling that it was our "fault that my DD won't get to see the Princesses in her Cinderella dress."

First Aid in MK is a bit smaller than some of the Companion Restrooms in other parks, but we generally go there at MK rather than using the other Companion Restrooms, which seem to be used more by families than at the other parks.

It used to have a key that you got from the CM checking people in for their meals at the Castle. The last time we used that bathroom, we asked about a key and were told the door was open. DD in her wheelchair and I joined the long line and noticed it seemed to be made up of people who were changing their DDs into Princess costumes for their meal. After about a 15 minute wait, we got in. I hurried DD as much as possible, but just as I got DD out of her wheelchair, we got our first knock on the door and I said that we would hurry as fast as we could, but DD was disabled. (There had been a line behind us, so those behind us had ample opportunity to see DD's wheelchair while we were in line.)
The knocks continued every minute or so the whole time we were in there, punctuated with "Hurry up. My DD needs to change into her Princess dress." The knocks continued every few minutes, so I actually dressed DD again and put her back into her wheelchair without using the bathroom and we planned to head to First Aid. As we exited the Companion Restroom, I felt very uncomfortable because we had a whole line of people glaring at us and one woman started yelling that it was our "fault that my DD won't get to see the Princesses in her Cinderella dress."

First Aid in MK is a bit smaller than some of the Companion Restrooms in other parks, but we generally go there at MK rather than using the other Companion Restrooms, which seem to be used more by families than at the other parks.

It never ceases to amaze me at how rude people can be. I am sorry you had to endure these rude people knocking over and over again.
Deb:flower3:

We have had some things like that happen before too. But sometimes my mouth opens and says things that knocks them off their feet. I have no patience sometimes for ignorant people like that.

Some people are so rude. Sounds like it might be a good idea if they either put in changing rooms and/or just not let people change there. Companion restrooms are for people who need help using the restroom, not for changing into a costume.

It never ceases to amaze me at how rude people can be. I am sorry you had to endure these rude people knocking over and over again.
Deb:flower3:

We have had some things like that happen before too. But sometimes my mouth opens and says things that knocks them off their feet. I have no patience sometimes for ignorant people like that.

Some people are so rude. Sounds like it might be a good idea if they either put in changing rooms and/or just not let people change there. Companion restrooms are for people who need help using the restroom, not for changing into a costume.
::yes::::YES::::YES::

SueM, This happened to us almost everytime we have tried to use a companion restroom! People always knock and knock even when I say out loud that we are helping DD with a wheelchair. We usually just go to first aid now also. We do tube feedings and changes at first aid, and they are always so nice there. At Epcot the CM's were wonderful at first aid and even gave DD a couple of pins for her lanyard.
Angela

SueM, This happened to us almost everytime we have tried to use a companion restroom! People always knock and knock even when I say out loud that we are helping DD with a wheelchair. We usually just go to first aid now also. We do tube feedings and changes at first aid, and they are always so nice there. At Epcot the CM's were wonderful at first aid and even gave DD a couple of pins for her lanyard.
Angela
We always get at least one knock. Sometimes they are persistent, sometimes not. But, it's a very rare trip to the park when we don't get something.
We pretty much only use First Aid at MK (except the Tomorrowland restroom is not one we have had much trouble with, so we do use that one).

The 'bad' ones at Epcot (at least in our experience) are the one inside The Land, the one outside by Test Track and the one just as you enter WS before Canada. Those are the ones where we have found the most people and the most 'persistent' people.

At AK, we don't usually have as much trouble. At the Studio, we usually go to First Aid.

Sue, I am so sorry that happened (and happens) to your DD. I would have had a "little chat" with that woman :rolleyes1. Next time you come to WDW call me and I will guard the door for your DD :flower3: I promise no "knockers" will get thru (I grew up with 4 large football playing brothers I learned how to block) :lmao:

I am so sorry people are so rude.

If I remember correctly, The door shows "occupied" to who ever comes up to it when it is in use. Are people so daft they can't figure out someone is inside????????
When I alone once I used the companion restroom because I didn't want to leave my ECV outside alone. Yes, I got door knockers too..
Deb

Sue, I agree with everyone, it is just amazing how rude some people can be!

That said I really wish Disney would do something to reinforce that these bathrooms are specifically for the use of those with disabilities who are unable to use most of the facilities elsewhere on the property.

In CRT the use of the key needs to be put back in place. My DH was unable to get in that restroom at all because it was filled by parents changing their daughter's dresses.

I am constantly shocked by people who run around us to get in to the companion restroom that we are clearly heading to. I don't understand why people with a child of the same sex & clearly healthy enough to run over & past us choose to use these restrooms. I understand that Disney can not be held responsible for their guest's behavior but maybe if there were signs stating that these restrooms are specifically for the disabled it would help. The use of a key at all companion restrooms might be a good idea?

Hello! Has anyone asked Disney why they don't communicate the purpose of these washrooms more clearly? I'm just curious.

I agree with everything you've all said about the companions washrooms being used by guests who clearly have other options, but choose to use the companion rooms for convenience. GRRRRR!!! We experienced this too with our twins, one of whom has CP and was in his chair. And I feel guilty when I use the facilities at the same time!

We're off the Dl in December and I think we'll go to first aid whenver possible. Recently, my son has become quite adamant that he doesn't want me to say anything to people who abuse the facilities...and I find it really hard to hold back when there is an opportunity to "educate" people. It'll be better to avoid any potential encounters!

Hello! Has anyone asked Disney why they don't communicate the purpose of these washrooms more clearly? I'm just curious.

I agree with everything you've all said about the companions washrooms being used by guests who clearly have other options, but choose to use the companion rooms for convenience. GRRRRR!!! We experienced this too with our twins, one of whom has CP and was in his chair. And I feel guilty when I use the facilities at the same time!

We're off the Dl in December and I think we'll go to first aid whenver possible. Recently, my son has become quite adamant that he doesn't want me to say anything to people who abuse the facilities...and I find it really hard to hold back when there is an opportunity to "educate" people. It'll be better to avoid any potential encounters!

Even though this is one issue that really gets me riled up, I have not questioned Disney about it. We have already sent off a very lengthy letter concerning the lack of accessibility at the Beach Club Pools. So, we choose to not gripe about every issue that bothers us, hoping to get a good response on the most troublesome for us. If anyone else finds this to be a problem, maybe they will consider writing WDW concerning this issue.

Of course, even if WDW put up larger more explicit signs or required keys, there would still be people who would abuse the system! :sad2:

. We have already sent off a very lengthy letter concerning the lack of accessibility at the Beach Club Pools.

Would you mind sharing or PMing me why the Beach Club pools aren't accessible? We were thinking about spending a long weekend there next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter