Fake service dog gear creates problems for Americans with disabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you plan to do with the dog during the day? Even hotels who do allow dogs, seldom allow you to leave the dog in the room while you are gone. You would have to lodge the dog in a kennel somewhere while you are gone from the room.

What do you plan to do with the dog during the day? Even hotels who do allow dogs, seldom allow you to leave the dog in the room while you are gone. You would have to lodge the dog in a kennel somewhere while you are gone from the room.

I have a motorhome that I've left in Florida for the past 2 years so we only stop in at night and leave in the morning. However, I do have a create for her in the event we had to leave her and Residence Inn and Town Place Suites allow dogs to be left in the room.

I am very experienced with traveling with numbers of dogs at a time and most hotels will allow you to leave dogs in their crates.

FYI: It doesn't sound like you and others are familiar with the breed of dog that Michigan has? Her service dog is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. This toy breed weighs between 13 and 18 pounds. They are noted for their happy, non-aggressive temperaments to both people and other dogs. You literally can't keep their tails from wagging. Because they become so attuned to their owners, they are famous for their ability to become assistance dogs. I am not at all surprised that her dog developed the ability to alert her to her child's seizures.

I am very experienced with traveling with numbers of dogs at a time and most hotels will allow you to leave dogs in their crates.

FYI: It doesn't sound like you and others are familiar with the breed of dog that Michigan has? Her service dog is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. This toy breed weighs between 13 and 18 pounds. They are noted for their happy, non-aggressive temperaments to both people and other dogs. You literally can't keep their tails from wagging. Because they become so attuned to their owners, they are famous for their ability to become assistance dogs. I am not at all surprised that her dog developed the ability to alert her to her child's seizures.

Breed is no guarantee though. Labs are notorious for being easy to train and friendly but I've met labs that are unfriendly and aloof to down right nasty.

Breed is no guarantee though. Labs are notorious for being easy to train and friendly but I've met labs that are unfriendly and aloof to down right nasty.

No, but a 13 to 18 pound dog is much easier to control should the need arise. Bad tempered specimens are still very rare in this breed.

Unfortunately, the popularity of Labs has caused an influx of poorly bred specimens with incorrect temperaments. I see many really hyper Labs that are not fit to live with until old age. This is partially why so many end up in shelters, The true Lab temperament is very laid back and calm with more of a Golden Retriever type temperament.

There really is no "guarantee" when it comes to a live animal. Any animal can bite given the correct set of circumstances, no matter what it's training or certification.

No, but a 13 to 18 pound dog is much easier to control should the need arise. Bad tempered specimens are still very rare in this breed.

Unfortunately, the popularity of Labs has caused an influx of poorly bred specimens with incorrect temperaments. I see many really hyper Labs that are not fit to live with until old age. This is partially why so many end up in shelters, The true Lab temperament is very laid back and calm with more of a Golden Retriever type temperament.

There really is no "guarantee" when it comes to a live animal. Any animal can bite given the correct set of circumstances, no matter what it's training or certification.

Exactly, so saying that the poster you were referencing's breed of dog comes into play isn't really true. Rare as it may be for that breed of dog to cause issues, it can happen so it shouldn't matter what breed they have.

It really is a shame that selfish individuals are doing this - especially when they have poorly trained (or untrained) dogs. It's definitely making life more difficult for those who actually need service animals or comfort animals..

Exactly, so saying that the poster you were referencing's breed of dog comes into play isn't really true. Rare as it may be for that breed of dog to cause issues, it can happen so it shouldn't matter what breed they have.

I think that breed does matter as some breeds are more prone to bite than others. And the size of the dog and it's jaw, determines how much damage it can do. When thinking about dog breeds a person needs to look at what the original purpose of the breed was. For instance toy breed dogs such as the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, were bred to be loving companions and to retain their puppy-like characteristics their entire lives. Terriers, Herding breeds and Working breeds for example, were all bred to do different things and all have different levels of bite inhibition.

My point was that certification or professional training of a service dog does not mean that the dog will not bite given adequate provocation.

bedogged said:
My point was that certification or professional training of a service dog does not mean that the dog will not bite given adequate provocation.

At some point the level and training of the dog does become relevant.

I would certainly accept any dog that comes out of paws with a cause, and leaderdogs for the blind as being about as well trained as possible. Probably the case with the CCI breeder mentioned in the article.

But someone wants to bring a 60 or 80 pound dog into a restaurant and sit next to my 55 pound kid and all I have is that person's say so that they 'self-trained' the animal. All I have is their say so that he's had all his shots. And a business has little or no standing to intervene with my kids safety in mind. That part seems like it could use some adjustment.

Businesses are drilled on not being able to refuse entry of a service dog except in the rarest cases. Even if it does not appear to be licensed in one case. Even if the dog smelled bad in another.

I'm not trying to keep those who need an animal from enjiying their life, but some modest adjustments to the law, like what happened in 2011 doesnt seem unfair either.

At some point the level and training of the dog does become relevant.

I would certainly accept any dog that comes out of paws with a cause, and leaderdogs for the blind as being about as well trained as possible. Probably the case with the CCI breeder mentioned in the article.

But someone wants to bring a 60 or 80 pound dog into a restaurant and sit next to my 55 pound kid and all I have is that person's say so that they 'self-trained' the animal. All I have is their say so that he's had all his shots. And a business has little or no standing to intervene with my kids safety in mind. That part seems like it could use some adjustment.

Businesses are drilled on not being able to refuse entry of a service dog except in the rarest cases. Even if it does not appear to be licensed in one case. Even if the dog smelled bad in another.

I'm not trying to keep those who need an animal from enjiying their life, but some modest adjustments to the law, like what happened in 2011 doesnt seem unfair either.

But like its been said, anyone can get a vest or something on line or print out a card with a fake schools name on it. So to an outsider, you can't know the difference between a home schooled and school trained animal. And as far as proof of shots, our dogs always had their collar with their vaccination tags on and so has every other guide dog I've ever seen.

As far as not being able to intervene on your child's safety they (the business) absolutely has the right to ask the owner of the dog to leave IF and only IF the dog is behaving in an inappropriate or aggressive manor. Any business who is too afraid to ask that animal to leave or one who doesn't train their employees or at least managers on what is and isn't allowed isn't the fault of the dog user.

But like its been said, anyone can get a vest or something on line or print out a card with a fake schools name on it. So to an outsider, you can't know the difference between a home schooled and school trained animal. And as far as proof of shots, our dogs always had their collar with their vaccination tags on and so has every other guide dog I've ever seen.

As far as not being able to intervene on your child's safety they (the business) absolutely has the right to ask the owner of the dog to leave IF and only IF the dog is behaving in an inappropriate or aggressive manor. Any business who is too afraid to ask that animal to leave or one who doesn't train their employees or at least managers on what is and isn't allowed isn't the fault of the dog user.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Businesses have been absolutely crucified in the press and with the general public when a story about denying a service dog has come out. Once the bad press is out, there's no taking it back Someone who is selfish and jerky enough to fake a service dog would most likely be that type of person screaming to anyone who would listen about their rights. That could easily and quickly destroy a small business.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. Businesses have been absolutely crucified in the press and with the general public when a story about denying a service dog has come out. Once the bad press is out, there's no taking it back Someone who is selfish and jerky enough to fake a service dog would most likely be that type of person screaming to anyone who would listen about their rights. That could easily and quickly destroy a small business.

The press that a business allowed a dangerous animal to remain in a business is better? I don't think I follow you-

If a business refuses to allow a well behaved trained sevice animal in their business the press should have a field day. On the same token, if they allow an untrained animal that is a potential hazard to others-they should be called out.

As far as "selfish/jerky" people if they are not disabled-they don't have "rights" when it comes to having a service animal. That is the point many are trying to make.

The press that a business allowed a dangerous animal to remain in a business is better? I don't think I follow you-

If a business refuses to allow a well behaved trained sevice animal in their business the press should have a field day. On the same token, if they allow an untrained animal that is a potential hazard to others-they should be called out.

As far as "selfish/jerky" people if they are not disabled-they don't have "rights" when it comes to having a service animal. That is the point many are trying to make.

Just someone making a claim to media or on social media that a business refused a service animal can be enough to ruin that business. It doesn't matter if it later comes out that it was an aggressive dog or untrained as a service animal.
No business owner is going to want to take the chance on calling someone out and ruining their business nor is an employee going to want to take that chance and risk their job.

Just someone making a claim to media or on social media that a business refused a service animal can be enough to ruin that business. It doesn't matter if it later comes out that it was an aggressive dog or untrained as a service animal.
No business owner is going to want to take the chance on calling someone out and ruining their business nor is an employee going to want to take that chance and risk their job.

Can you cite an example where a business was ruined because of a service animal claim?

Can you cite an example where a business was ruined because of a service animal claim?

There have been numerous stories in the press and on social media of businesses refusing service animals. If the businesses were ultimately ruined or not, I dont know. I never said they were. They could have all been 100% in the wrong. The problem is they are usually assumed wrong. That type of press could ruin a business or cause someone to lose their job. That is all I said.

There have been numerous stories in the press and on social media of businesses refusing service animals. If the businesses were ultimately ruined or not, I dont know. I never said they were. They could have all been 100% in the wrong. The problem is they are usually assumed wrong. That type of press could ruin a business or cause someone to lose their job. That is all I said.

So you are simply stating your opinion.

There ARE business who are educating their employees on how to handle service animals and "fake" service animals.

So you are simply stating your opinion.

There ARE business who are educating their employees on how to handle service animals and "fake" service animals.

Yes I am stating my opinion. People often do that on discussion boards. You have stated your opinions in various posts also.

Yes I am stating my opinion. People often do that on discussion boards. You have stated your opinions in various posts also.

Of course people state their opinion on a message board. But often people like to try and pass their opinion off as fact, this can create problems when people read those words and think they are based in fact.

I know Sue spents a great deal of time trying to keep correct information on this board as so many use it as a planning tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter