Fake jewelry-would you be upset

Yes, I'm confused. I thought this whole premise was based on loving and wanting authentic Cartier jewelry and knowing when one is a fake? :confused3

But, you are not really into jewelry, didn't even know this existed and your SO got you a pretty piece of costume jewelry. . . as you do not even enjoy wearing jewelry anyway. And now you are miffed that it's a fake? :confused3

Or are you miffed that he bought you jewelry when you do not enjoy wearing jewelry? And that after 8 years of being together on and off, he should know that? Except he did make that odd comment to “let it grow on you,” so he DID know you might not enjoy wearing it and hoped it would grow on you.

Or maybe miffed the niece got real jewelry & she got fake? It’s all a bit bizarre.

So funny what people prefer. My husband insists on spending a fortune for very average flowers form a florist. Meanwhile, wegmans has amazing bouquets for less than half the price. Even their roses for Valentine’s Day are beautiful. I’d much rather he spends $24 & gets them from wegmans than $100 just because they came from a florist.
Well, no Wegmans here. And it's more about I don't want him to be driving home from work on Valentine's Day and think, "Oops, gotta get some flowers!" So I banned grocery store flowers. (Not that he was buying them a lot anyway.)

Well, no Wegmans here. And it's more about I don't want him to be driving home from work on Valentine's Day and think, "Oops, gotta get some flowers!" So I banned grocery store flowers. (Not that he was buying them a lot anyway.)

I can understand that. Part of why I dislike the florist is they’ve sold him what I call “fill in roses”, that have lots of those little buds on each stem, and dry up & die & don’t even bloom. They seem like what you use to fill in around other flowers, but they sell it as the whole bouquet. Just ugly & cheap. They do have regular long stem roses, but I think they sell these as an “economical” alternative.

So funny what people prefer. My husband insists on spending a fortune for very average flowers form a florist. Meanwhile, wegmans has amazing bouquets for less than half the price. Even their roses for Valentine’s Day are beautiful. I’d much rather he spends $24 & gets them from wegmans than $100 just because they came from a florist.

Agreed. I HATE roses, particularly red roses -- I really don't know why. Seriously. For 33 years, for our anniversary and Mother's Day, I receive red roses.

I'm not so rude as to say I don't like them on the holiday, but throughout the whole year, I either buy other flowers for myself or mention how much better tulips or daisies are than roses. My daughter tells DH not to get roses for me as well.

It hurts. Not so much because I don't get the flowers I do like on those holidays, but that he either doesn't hear me the rest of the year or doesn't care.

Just the opposite for me, actually. Not my DH or anybody who knows me well would ever consider buying me expensive "real" jewelry - it would have zero value to me. I'd be a little upset at having to fake an appropriate amount of appreciation and disappointed that the money couldn't have been spent on something I truly would enjoy.

:scratchin OP mentions this was a random gift and not something she particularly wanted. I wonder what motivated the giver to choose it?
My thought exactly! I don't know what prompted him to gift me this. Typing this as I'm working my office job, and the bracelet is certainly in the way of typing. I'm afraid I'm going to damage it with all the banging on my desk. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I am incredibly blessed to have him in my life, but sometimes men just don't think clearly lol

You had no idea it existed but could tell right away it was a fake?
I didn't even know what it was. I had never heard of a Love Bracelet. While trying to figure out how to open the darn thing I noticed writing on the inside of the bracelet. I was able to take a picture with my phone and that's when Google came in handy.

Or maybe miffed the niece got real jewelry & she got fake? It’s all a bit bizarre.
I am not miffed the niece got real gold and I got fake gold. My question was "Would you be upset if you were given a fake piece". Maybe I should go back and edit my original post to include that I find it very odd that he would have purchased something so expensive (as I imagine a knock off of this quality wasn't cheap) and something I had never mentioned and we had never discussed.

Maybe I should go back and edit my original post to include that I find it very odd that he would have purchased something so expensive (as I imagine a knock off of this quality wasn't cheap) and something I had never mentioned and we had never discussed.

Well, if that’s the question… I wouldn’t find it odd that my husband purchased a piece of jewelry I didn’t ask for & we didn’t discuss. In the 45 years we’ve been married, my husband has purchased all kinds of jewelry for me. Except for when we upgraded my diamond, I haven’t once asked for a specific item nor have we discussed what I might want. We have no issue telling each other if there’s something we specifically want, but jewelry is something he surprises me with.

And truthfully, the older I get, the less I value expensive designer items. So a knock off piece would be fine.

I would be questioning why he didn’t know my taste enough to 1) buy me jewelry when I don’t like it or wear it and 2) get me a knockoff of something when the brand/kind wouldn’t be important to me as a non jewelry wearer in the first place. 😜

Does sound like in your situation he possibly got ripped off.

I’d like to add that a few months ago my mom was sent a knockoff Love bracelet in the mail out of the blue and although I knew it was a fake it was not terribly obvious as fake looking, if that makes sense.

Maybe:
Do you ever see his family or will you possibly see the niece?
Maybe his friends or family asked him what he has bought for you?
Perhaps with all of the discussion of the niece's gifts, your boyfriend realized that he wanted you to have something that showed that he values your relationship in a way that his culture traditionally shows that or maybe it eases something in him to see you wearing the bracelet.
Knowing that you don't value jewelry in the same way, he bought something that will make his subconcious happy or that he can tell family/family friends, but not cause resentment or stress?

A friend once gave me something that made me ill at ease because it seemed like "too much" and was "out of the blue". It turned out that she had mentioned all of the little things that I had done for her at a difficult time to family, and they wanted to know what she had done to "thank me". I didn't want or need thanked, we were basically good "work friends", but didn't see each other except there or at work related events (carpooling from work to the event and back to the work parking lot kind of thing). Yes, I did a few things because I knew she was stressed outside of work, but nothing excessive.
If I went to a bakery, I left something that I knew she liked at her desk the next day, or if I was going to lunch, asked if she wanted something. I would bring in magazines for the group when I was done with them, so I left ones that I knew she liked at her desk, instead of in the "grab it pile". It was a few weeks.

Well, someone in her family kept asking her if she had done anything, that she SHOULD. So, she gave me something that satisified her family member. It worried me because while I probably had spent that much over the time period, I didn't expect anything in return. I finally asked her after a work carpool thing (I usually took 1-3 others to those type of things), and she told me. The gift was months after that time frame, around the holidays, but in between. She kept going to the family events and that family member kept at her..........

sorry to be so long...............hth

My thought exactly! I don't know what prompted him to gift me this. Typing this as I'm working my office job, and the bracelet is certainly in the way of typing. I'm afraid I'm going to damage it with all the banging on my desk. I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I am incredibly blessed to have him in my life, but sometimes men just don't think clearly lol
Ehm... you do not have to wear it the entire day. You can just wear it at certain occasions. There are professions where certain jewellery is not convenient. Think in health care, the food industry.

If I got the bracelet and I wasn't into jewellery and I loved the gifter... I would wear it to see if it can grow on me. You can change throughout your life and sometimes what wasn't a match in the past, can be now.

Do I care if it was fake? In your case only if the guy was swindled.

No one is going to rip the bracelet off your arm to check the weight and markings to see if it is real or not. If a brand is not in big letters on the product, majority of mankind will not recognize the brand or whether or not is fake.

Your question seems to be much more: "my boyfriend bought me something expensive, I didn't ask for and I might not really like... is this an issue." Much more than whether or not it's real.

"We’ve dated on and off for 8 years."

Reading between the lines now - you've been together 8 years, and he got you a Love bracelet. That would be very sweet, unless it was a way to put off buying a diamond ring and making a further commitment. That said, putting some real money in jewelry is a way to start getting to that relationship commitment with actual financial commitment.

This could be his way of feeling out how that would go...baby step...

"We’ve dated on and off for 8 years."

Reading between the lines now - you've been together 8 years, and he got you a Love bracelet. That would be very sweet, unless it was a way to put off buying a diamond ring and making a further commitment. That said, putting some real money in jewelry is a way to start getting to that relationship commitment with actual financial commitment.

This could be his way of feeling out how that would go...baby step...
Gosh no. I never ever want to get remarried and neither does he. Our level of committment works for the both of us. We are perfect the way we are.

Would the bracelet need to be authenticated if you were to insure it? Perhaps that is a way to bring up that you know it isn’t genuine without you having to say it.

Although, after reading the article posted above, I am not sure I could pick a real one from a fake if it were vintage. I would probably have it authenticated just for the heck of it.

Even experts/jewelry stores can have trouble determining if certain items are fake vs genuine. Regardless of how well off he might be, I would think the person giving the gift would certainly want to know if it appers to be fake. Seems unlikely he would have been sold an imitation if purchased from a reputable store charging thousands of dollars for what should have been genuine. If it was purchased when he was traveling internationally, may not be convenient for him to return to the store where purchased. However, you can have the gold content tested locally at any number of places.
“Most people will not even purchase them as authentic anymore unless you have the original receipt and you have paperwork. And you have evidence that you’re the original owner or you were gifted from the purchaser at Cartier—it is very difficult to prove these are real anymore.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cartier-bracelets-t-authenticated-alternatives-200000751.html

Would the bracelet need to be authenticated if you were to insure it? Perhaps that is a way to bring up that you know it isn’t genuine without you having to say it.

Although, after reading the article posted above, I am not sure I could pick a real one from a fake if it were vintage. I would probably have it authenticated just for the heck of
“Most people will not even purchase them as authentic anymore unless you have the original receipt and you have paperwork. And you have evidence that you’re the original owner or you were gifted from the purchaser at Cartier—it is very difficult to prove these are real anymore.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cartier-bracelets-t-authenticated-alternatives-200000751.html
That’s why or course it’s best to purchase new from a Cartier boutique.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter