Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust! - Sept 2014 Solo TR *Updated 04/07*

godders

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! Welcome to my trip report:wave2: and thank you for joining me as I relive my amazing 10 day trip with you all!!

For those of you joining in for the first time you can find my pre-trip report here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3311902&highlight=ridin+solo. For those who have already seen it; thank you for coming to see me here as I regale you with the highs and lows of a solo trip.

But who I am I hear you newbies ask.....

Well Hi!! I'm Vicky, 24 years old (25, two weeks today eek!) and from the UK.

I won't bore you with the gory details about my life because you can read about them in my Pre-Trip report :rotfl:

This was my first Solo trip and I would definitely do one again (secretly might be planning one for next May but shhhh! :thumbsup2). I normally go to Disney with my family so it was very weird for them not to be there but overall I had a jolly good time!

And so it is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that I welcome you tonight. And now we invite you to relax, let me pull up a chair as I proudly present.... "Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust! A Solo Trip Report!" (See what I did there.....)

popcorn::

Contents

Day 1
Day 1 Part 1 - It's here.....It's finally here
Day 1 Part 2 - I've Arrived
Day 1 Part 3 - Rides, Rain and Dinner

Day 2
Day 2 Part 1 - Islands of Adventure

Day 2 Part 2 - Soaked to the Bone!

Day 2 Part 3 - Wet Again!
Day 3
Day 3 Part 1 - Early entry and a quickish wiz(ard) round
Day 3 Part 2 - And then disaster struck!
Day 3 Part 3 - Needing a pick me up!
Day 3 Part 4 - Up, down and a little bit of shaking (or shivering)
Universal: A Round Up
Day 4
Day 4 Part 1 - Disney! Disney! Disney! Disney!
Day 4 Part 2 - Disney's Hollywood *cough* MGM *cough* Studios
Day 4 Part 3 - Star Tours I Love you!
Day 4 Part 4 - First FP+ and 50's Prime Time
Day 4 Part 5 - Another bit of Pixie Dust
Day 5
Day 5 Part 1 - Animal Kingdom
Day 5 Part 2 - "Looks like there's a Giraffic jam up ahead
Day 5 Part 3 - Construction, Construction, Construction
Day 5 Part 4 - Think I might be on the verge of a meltdown
Day 5 Part 5 - DTD and Cirque du Soleil

Day 6
Day 6 Part 1 - Magic Kingdom (finally!)
Day 6 Part 2 - New Fantasyland
Day 6 Part 3 - Be....Our....Guest!
Day 6 Part 4 - Park Hopping I Go

Day 7
Day 7 Part 1 - Downtown Disney
Day 7 Part 2 - Extra Magic Hours Ep. 1
Day 7 Part 3 - Extra Magic Hours Ep. 2

Day 8
Day 8 Part 1 - My first character meal!
Day 8 Part 2 - Just a little Animal Kingdom
Day 8 Part 3 - MNSSHP Ep. 1
Day 8 Part 4 - MNSSHP Ep. 2
Day 8 Part 5 - MNSSHP Ep. 3

Day 9
Day 9 Part 1 - Back to the Darkside
Day 9 Part 2 - "Why am I doing this again?"

Day 10
Day 10 Part 1 - Down at the Boardwalk
Day 10 Part 2 - MNSSHP: The Return

Day 11
Day 11 - Time To Say Goodbye

Last edited:
Day 1 Part 1 - It's here.....It's finally here.....

This morning I had a VERY early wake-up call from the Fluffbabies who decided to show me they were unhappy I was a leaving at 4.15am when my alarm was set for 6.30...... They are lucky they are cute I can tell you that! But once I was more awake I realised it was really Disney Day and I got all excited again! It really did feel like Christmas!

I just needed to add a few more things to my suitcase which Sophia was very interested in watching and then I just had to wait for my Dad to get up to take me to the airport.

We only live about 45 minutes from Gatwick so we needed to leave at about 8 to get me there in time for my flight which isn't too bad. As we were walking out the door my Mum (who had decided to have a golf lesson instead of coming to the airport with us) insisted on weighing my luggage because the airports are soooo strict over here and what do you know...my bag was too heavy. Doh! :sad2: So I had to take some stuff out including my rain coat which meant I definitely needed to buy a poncho..... but by the end I was down to 20.6kg and was ready to go!!!!

We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare but not without having to avoid a crazy amount of cyclists on the way. Apparently they have no sense of road rules! But I digress! It also brings me to the title of this chapter... At the British Airways section of bag drop was quite literally the biggest queue I have ever seen in my life at an airport (think Ryanair and Easyjet combined!). Literally came halfway back up the terminal. It was ridiculous!!!

But enter SuperDad!

Yes I know he is asleep in this pic but it's the only one I have of him - plus he's asleep on the monorail to Epcot...

So he sees the queue, tells me to get in it and that he'll be right back. He's gone for about 15 minutes in which time I've moved about a foot and think there's no way I'll get through it before my flight and am considering having an internal hissy fit when he reappears and pulls me through the crowd to the far end of the BA desks. So my Dad travels ALOT for work which means he is a British Airways Gold Member and he pretty much always has his membership card with him. And he asked very nicely if we could use the Gold Member line to drop my bag and they said "yes!" :worship: I mean I literally squeaked with joy!

So Bish, bash, bosh and I had my bag dropped and was through security within about 25 minutes of arriving at the airport. My first taste of Pixie Dust!!!:tinker:

Then it was on to the plane!

I mostly read on the flight and watched the latest X-men film which was really disappointing and something else but I can't remember what it was (clearly it was amazing). Food was ok and I don't think there were any small children even on the flight which was another bonus and 8 hours and 40 mins later and we landed at MCO just as the storm clouds were rolling in.

Used to electronic machines to go through security but then still had to queue up to get my passport stamped by an actual person so I don't really see the point but whatever :confused3 The lady at Security asked me soooo many questions and really didn't seem to get that I had come to Disney on my own. Think she asked me 3 times if any of my friends or family had wanted to come with me. But I was eventually let in! Picked up my bag straight away and then jumped on the Fake-O-Rail just as it started to rain. I was met by a very nice man in a very nice car (that I had booked just to let you know) and suddenly I was whisked off to the Royal Pacific Resort and HARRY POTTER WORLD :banana: I had arrived!!

Last edited:
I love solo trips so I'm in for yours. Very excited to hear about US/IOA as we are going for pretty much the first time on our October trip (I've been one other time, but it was 20 years ago)!!

Day 1 Part 2 - I've arrived!!

On to my first hotel - Loews Royal Pacific Resort!

First stayed here back in 2010 and thought it was just a really beautiful and convenient for the parks.

I was able to check straight in and was in the Royal Tower (Tower 3), Room 3257 on the 2nd floor. You actually come into the lobby of the hotel on the 3rd floor so it felt a bit weird to go down to get to my room. Before I left the lobby I made sure to visit the machines to get my Express Pass and then headed off to find my room.

And here it is:

It was your typical standard room, two queen beds and a pretty small bathroom. Think it was lucky there was only me.

But I quickly refreshed myself and got ready for my first park: Universal Studios! Left my hotel room at about 5.15pm so less than 2 hours from landing which I was very impressed with!

I couldn't believe I was finally here! I had changed into my trainers in the room which I was really pleased with as it was still raining as I walked down to the park. Hate having to walk around in wet flip flops! As I was heading up towards the park pretty much everyone else was walking in the opposite direction which made me very hopeful for short ride lines. And then I finally made it

So I hightailed it past T2, Krustyland and MiB and went straight to London! Omg! The aircon in here is amazing! (Yes that really was the first thing I noticed) But anyway. Diagon Alley is incredible. You really do feel like you've stepped into an entirely different world. It also feels a lot bigger than Hogsmeade because there's so many different elements to explore.

I wanted to go on Gringotts but I was nervous as I am both Pooh sized and tall and I'd heard a lot about how small the car seats are. I wandered over to the example seats just outside the entrance and was patiently waiting my turn as there was a large group taking photos of each other. They eventually cleared out when some people shoved in front of me and got in. I was literally next to the car, clearly taking my bag off and they just didn't care. But I took a deep breathe and waited for them to finish. As I got in on one side, a young man, maybe a few years older than me got in the other side. He was bigger than me (in every sense) and couldn't get the bar down to get the green light. Let's just say he was not impressed. I felt really sorry for him as I know it must really suck to come a long way and not be able to ride...but that was not the case for me!!!! I got a green light straight away :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I practically skipped to the lockers to put my bag away and then jumped into the single rider line (standby was about 45 minutes). Still had to queue but only for about 15 minutes which is not too bad.

Gringotts ride: I quite enjoyed it but I can completely understand what people mean when they wish it was longer. Just one more scene maybe and it would have rounded off quite nicely. Especially for people who have to wait ages to get on. Definitely think my eyesight is getting worse though as I found the screens to be really quite fuzzy but that is something I find a lot with anything that is made 3D when it wasn't filmed with the specific 3D camera's. But on the plus side it didn't break down and I didn't notice it being down during my time at US so that's good. Also because of going single rider I did miss out on pre-ride story (which I didn't realise till a few days later when I did the full thing) but all in all I'd give it a solid 7/10

After Gringotts I wandered around DA for a little bit, just trying to get my bearings of where things were but here are a few more photos. Don't want to post too many as I know loads of people haven't been yet and I don't want to give away too much

Last edited:
Day 1 Part 3 - Rides, Rain and Dinner

So after my Diagon Alley experience I decided to go on my favourite ride at US - Men in Black and I sucked! Even the two other people in the car who didn't even realise they needed to pick up the gun and shoot until they saw me doing it scored better.....it was not a proud moment!! But I picked myself up and thought I'd do better next time and cheered myself up on The Simpsons ride. After the Simpsons I went on over to ET and literally as I got to the line (with only about 5 people in front of me) they announced it had broken down. :headache: I gave it 20 minutes but it didn't look like anything was going to happen anytime soon so I headed to the exit.

Next I went for my first ever ride on Transformers!!

Btw these photos are all from my next couple of days at US. Got too excited by the rides to take any at the time oops!

OMG! OMG! So much fun! Way better than Spiderman in my opinion. Had no idea where it was going to go and I really enjoyed myself.

After that I went on over to The Mummy. Now even the queue kinda creeps me out and some of the lighting is that kinda half light which because of my bad eyes I pretty much can't see anything in it but I only bumped into one thing so that's ok. Got to the bit where they scan your Express pass and the woman doing it was just staring at me in a mad-axe-murderer kind of a way. She was trying really hard to creep me out (and she succeeded) but I tried not to let her see that! But I enjoyed the Mummy. Sad they took out the bit with the Scarab beetles jumping up your legs but maybe that was just a bit too much for some people.

So I go out of the Mummy and it was torrential rain! I was definitely back in Florida!! I still had an hour till park close and my ADR and had not yet bought a poncho. I grabbed my stuff from my locker (with a good waterproof backpack luckily) and decided to brave it so I quickly (as quick as you can without actually running) made my way over to Shrek 4D! I was dripping wet and soaked through to my underwear by the time I got there but it was kinda refreshing at the same time.

Didn't think Shrek was as good as last time but the CMs (what do they call them at Universal) were better than I remember. Got talking to a lady who was also there solo but was staying on the beach for her trip. After Shrek I got my first (and only) ride on Despicable Me!!! Now I love Minions so it would've had to be really, really bad for me not to love it but my cousins had been a few weeks before and hadn't liked it and "thought it could've been done better" (that was the 11 year old) so I wasn't too optimistic. But I loved it!!!! Sooooo much better than Jimmy Neutron!!! I liked all the pre-show stuff too and the dance party at the end.

As for this second pic - I totally didn't realise that they had turned the ride entrance into Gru's house until I saw the photo on my computer - observation is clearly a key skill of mine!

By the time I got out of DM it was dark and the park was closing. Luckily the rain was pretty much gone but there was still thunder and lightning kicking around which people kept randomly stopping to watch (ever so slightly annoying).

I headed on over to the Hard Rock Cafe and was seated straight away. I was really excited because I was finally going to be able to order my first alcoholic drink in the USA :yay: and then I realised I'd forgotten my I.D. :confused3 so I had to settle for a non-alcoholic Berrylicious cocktail which was very nice

mmmm Maraschino cherry! nom nom nom!

For dinner I had the shrimp platter which I've put in my notes was really good. Ate all the shrimps but left most of the chips as it was just too much. Apparently the mango coleslaw was also very nice!

Sorry for the bad picture quality but it was on my phone. Also I still felt really awkward taking photos of my food by the end of the trip so I hope you know how lucky you are that I did it!

My only negative from the Hard Rock was that I'd literally just tucked into my entree when the waiter brought the dessert menu over. I mean it was only 9pm and I completely get it if the kitchen is going to close soon but not when it's open for another few hours!

Apparently I felt really wide awake when I sat down but now I was full I was getting very sleepy (sounds like me). I paid for my meal and then had a quick nosey around the Hard Rock shop. I still have a really comfy hoodie from my last trip but as I'm skipping winter I really don't need another one. I settled on two pins that caught my eye instead

Got to get my charity pins in!

After my (very) brief shop I headed on back to the hotel. The rain had finally come to a complete stop and my weary little head was desperate to be laid on a comfy pillow.

Last edited:
Chocolate covered flies in HP world, yum. Sounds like it was a great day. Did you try the frozen butter beer?

I'm so sorry everyone! Where I am in Namibia has very slow internet so I'm not able to upload anything let alone pictures.

Back on the 19th December so I will be back on track then.

Again so sorry!!

In other news I have booked my next solo trip for next September for 2 weeks this time and I'm hoping to persuade my Mum to come with me for a bit of Mother-Daughter bonding!

Oh dear. It's a solo TR in Sept. 2014 that opens with a cat/suitcase photo. This sounds JUST LIKE MY RECENT TR! I think you and I will get along famously. I'm in! :thumbsup2

I did a day at Universal Orlando on my recent solo trip too, just because I simply HAD to do WWoHP! I didn't stay on-property at UO though, I just drove over from my Disney hotel. Mmmm. Butterbeer!

I'm considering doing Cabana Bay for one night on our trip next year. I'll have to run it by my aunt & auncle (who when they saw how much fun I had on my solo trip in September decided they needed to join me on the next one) and see how they feel about adding an extra night on the front end of our Disney trip. It sure would be nice, though!

Also! To answer your question about what Universal employees are called... They're Team Members, or TMs for short. ;)

Cannot wait for more updates!!! :goodvibes

subbing!!!!!

sounds like the beginning of a fantastic trip :) can't wait to read more!!!

Day 2 Part 1 - Islands of Adventure

:wave2: Ok, so here I go again with my TR. Currently writing this from my friends couch in Australia so I will try to get up some regular posts but I am traveling round. Hopefully I will be sorted by the time I start writing my PTR for my September trip. But on with the report.....

So I dinged awake at 5am which is pretty much the same time I wake up at home. Couldn't get back to sleep so I just listened to music and went on the internet for a couple of hours. Finally got bored at 7.30 so decided to get up. Jumped in the shower and it felt awesome to wash off all the rain water from the day before!

Got to IoA at about 8.40 and was probably among 150 people at the gate max! I'd never seen the path from the hotel so quiet. I then headed straight to Hogsmeade (of course)

I went straight to Hogwarts and again tried the seats outside and was pleasantly surprised to find that I fit in the "adult" seats no problem. pixiedust: The Hogwarts ride was WAY more intense than I remembered it to be or maybe it was just because Gringotts was so tame but either way the Dementors still scare me! Anyway, after I recovered slightly I headed to the shop and got my Gryffindor scarf, a t-shirt and a couple of pins. Afterwards I wandered around taking some photos

As Hogsmeade started to fill up I headed on over to Suess Landing and went on the Cat in the Hat ride. I remember quite enjoying it last time I went but didn't really this time so I know it's one to cross off the list for my next visit.

Decided to go back to the Port of Entry and try out the bakery I had seen recommended on the DIS. Had a stuffed breakfast biscuit and a bottle of water. It was pretty heavy for a breakfast item so I only ended up eating about half but it was alright. Definitely not my favourite thing and I probably won't be having it again

Lots of people watching to be done here!! Streams coming but also a surprising number heading for the exit. Guess a lot of people just come in first thing to hit up Hogsmeade before heading elsewhere.....

Last edited:
Day 2 Part 2 - Soaked to the Bone!

So after I finished eating I finally remembered to go and get myself a poncho. Grabbed on from the big shop at the Port of Entry and found myself very tempted by a giant minion toy but thought it was probably best to wait to get my minion toy till the end of my trip but it just looked so cuddly! Anyway, after purchasing (just) my poncho I headed onto Spiderman which was a walk on with express pass and had a 10 minute stand by line. I enjoyed it much more than any other time I've been on it, perhaps I'm maturing past my fear of 3D.....?

So after Spiderman I went on over to Bilge-Rat Barges and for some reason I had it in my head that that was the log flume (don't ask me why) and then I it was a walk on so I didn't have time to get my poncho on and instead wrapped it round my backpack as extra protection for my camera. I was sat on a boat with a nice German family of 4 who were thoroughly enjoying their visit which was good to see (the teenage kids were actually smiling and laughing - shocking I know:woohoo:). So it was all going well and everyone had got soaked except me.....and then a massive wave it us and I was drenched through to my undies! One minute I was fine and the next it was all over! I mean, even my finger tips were wrinkly when I got off....

This is me post ride.....see that wet patch on the floor.....that has all dripped off me.....

Anyway, I had to change my shoes after that as I'd bought some fitflops for the trip but they were rubbing and cutting up my feet so I went back to my normal flip flops and decided that as I was already wet I might as well make it a trio and do the other water rides at IOA. There was a big of a queue for Ripshaw Falls so I headed on straight over to Jurassic Park which after Hogwarts is my favourite part of the park. No queue again at JP for EP and just 5 minutes stand by. Really loved it as usual and the Velociraptor bit was creepy as ever. I was in the 4 row back so actually just added a sprinkling to how wet I was.

So to complete my trio I went back to Ripshaw Falls and the queue had died down a bit so I headed in. Now I'd heard some things on the DIS and around the web talking about how small the seats are but given my successes with the HP rides I thought I'd be fine. OH DEAR GOD! Those seats are tiny!!! I couldn't even get my legs in really. I mean I'm 5"10 and a lot of that height is in my legs but it was ridiculous! Most uncomfortable ride ever! To top it off there was no where for my bag to fit so I had to cling on to it on the side of the boat which the guy in front of me also had to do and he was shorter and way smaller than me....think there either needs to be some lockers put in or some amendments made to the seats because I didn't enjoy it at all. Will not be going on that one again! :mic: ok rant over!

But on the plus side I was now well and truly soaked!! So drenched I could barely walk in my wet shoes, so drenched I could ring out my shorts....so drenched I even contemplated going back to the hotel for a change of clothes....but of course your commando-type trip reporter did no such thing! Instead she soldiered on and wondered around feeling uncomfortable for about half an hour before she was dry again (yay! Florida in September:beach:)

So after my water rides and I'd dried off a bit I decided to go take some more pictures. Wandered back into JP and tried to take a shot of the big splash but I couldn't really get it right but this is my best shot:

Here are some of the other pics I took:

Is it wrong that I didn't notice the T-Rex till after I took the photo?

The JP gates aren't quite as ominous with Hogwarts in the background....

After that I wandered back to Hogsmeade and had a nosey around for some ideas for presents for the HP lovers back home but was just about able to resist purchasing any...I was coming back next week after all....

Day 2 Part 3 - Wet again....

So as I said in my PTR, I planned on one Table Service meal everyday of my trip and so at IOA I chose Mythos because every other time I'd been it had been closed. So I had a 12.40 reservation but it was only 12pm so I walked around The Lost Continent taking photos and I stopped to watch the talking fountain interacting with a little boy who ended up getting soaked (very funny!) and then found myself in yet another shop (how did I manage that???) and bought myself two pairs of cute earrings - one pair of which my mum nearly bought me when she visited in November lol. But anyway I went to pay for my earrings and found that my cards and I.D. had stuck together....apparently my Gryffindor lanyard was NOT waterproof....I wasn't sure how my paper ticket and express pass were going to look but at the moment I was too scared to look.

Instead I headed on over to Mythos to finally get my meal!

I was about 10 minutes early for my res but they didn't mind and seated me straight away. I was at a table for 4 right in the middle of the restaurant and while I felt a bit self conscious I didn't notice any funny looks from other people around me so I quickly relaxed. Next I knew I had to take the plunge and look at the state of my ticket and stuff. Literally had to peel them off my drivers license....and they were ok. The barcodes were all fine and it was just the terms and conditions on the back of the ticket that was damaged so I figured I'd just go to the ticket booth at the front of the park on my way out to double check it was fine or get it replaced if I could.

But anyway.... my waitress came to take my drinks order and I went for the special of a Summertime Siren which was basically just orange juice and vodka but who cares I can drink in the States....woo hoo!!:drinking1For food I had the Wild Mushroom meatloaf. It was pretty good but the mash potato it came with had quite a lot of skin in it (that's not how we make mash in the UK) which were really annoying and then the crispy onions had a real and unexpected kick to them. But all in all I enjoyed my meal. I was also pleasantly surprised at how fast the food came out as well, I mean it took them longer to bring my drink over... Barely had to wait at all....which was impressive but also annoying because I was biding my time until the 2pm Sinbad show but I managed to make it last....kinda....

But here are the pics of the meatloaf and my Summertime Siren:

I would also like to mention at this point that my bum was still really wet from the water rides and I thought I was being followed by these 2 old ladies that I kept seeing :tiptoe:

But I digress...I managed to make my lunch last until about 1.30 so I walked back to the Sinbad show and had a cheeky cigarette and then reapplied my sun cream. Eventually we were let into the theatre and the only place they would let us sit was in the splash zone and I was thinking....I don't remember any water in the show, I'm sure it can't be that bad......well I was wrong.....I got soaked....AGAIN! GAH! And I had been so close to being dry..... :sad: But anyway, the show was....meh. I have seen way better *cough* Disney *cough* but some of it was funny. It could definitely do with an up date though.

After the show I was kinda done with IOA as I wasn't really in the mood for roller coasters which were the only rides left really so I decided to hop on the Hogwarts Express and head back to Universal. Longest queue I had all day (oh the irony). Took about half an hour which wasn't too bad but I definitely think the queue needs a little something (just to look at or watch maybe) and then it would be golden! And what can I say about the HE other than it was AWESOME! :worship: I actually felt myself welling up...and maybe I was channeling my inner Hogwarts student but I thought it was fabulously done and worth getting a park to park ticket just for that!

Ok so I know this is a pic from when you come out at Hogsmede but my others ones weren't great....

Anyway, so I headed back to DA and did (shock horror!) more shopping :rolleyes1 Then I decided to head on back to Transformers. Boy was it hot out by then! I started to feel a bit unwell but I managed to power through and go on the Mummy as well before I decided to call it a day and oh man was that walk back to the Royal Pacific a long one!!

Back at the room I had a shower, got in my PJs and curled up in bed with a film. Ordered a bit of room service later on but as soon as my pics had uploaded to my computer I fell asl
eep...​

I always enjoy both solo and international TR's so your's has been doubly enjoyable.

I agree with the skin-on mashed potatoes...we don't make them like around here either. I think is is more a time / money saver so they can crank out more meals and save a few bucks on the labor. They pretend it is something fancy so that people will feel the restaurant is chic instead of cheap. Don't fall for it! Fight the man! Creamy taters for all I say!

Your day at IOA sounds fun, if somewhat soggy. I had a park day like that once. Only mine didn't end so well.

There was chaffing. Mercy on us the chaffing. It accompanied by wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter