Faith, Trust, And 58% Less Pixie Dust: A 2016 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

What it's over already!?!? I love your TRs and really enjoyed reading this one.
Thanks! I like doing TRs but I always get to a point where I just want said TR to be done - that point was yesterday! :)
Spectating is fun when you're not running because you still get some of that race experience and get to see all of the runners and their costumes. Wow I couldn't believe they took down the race markers so quickly. I guess they have to get things cleaned up though.
Ha, I know. Clearly they wanted to get Downtown Disney cleared out!
I kind of really find it funny that your mom was amazed with the magic shots. They keep adding new magic shots all the time.
I know! She acted like Disney was hiding them from her or something. I don't think they're a secret, but I guess if you don't know about them already it's not like they're really advertised or anything...
I got a DSLR for Christmas last year and actually really like it. While it does get annoying sometimes at the parks I don't bring it everywhere only when I know I'm going to be taking photos of things like the fireworks or parades and such. It's also nice because the case can hold my portable charger and phone while it's charging so I don't have to put that in my pockets. In January I took roughly 1300 photos on my DSLR and another 700 on my phone... That new point and shoot should work out well for you though.
Yeah, I mean...I really did like my camera, and I had invested in some great lenses, but it was just too much for me - more than I really wanted or needed in the end, I think.
Hmmm Napa Rose is usually a good place to eat from reviews I've seen. It must not be your cup of tea. It's kind of like how some people like Tony's Town Square at MK but most do not. It seems most like Napa Rose but you are in the those who do not category. Nothing wrong with that though.
Yeah, I am greatly in the minority when it comes to Napa Rose. :)
United did not do well for you this trip it seems. At least you got home okay.
No! No, they did not. At least they gave me $500! And as you said, the return trip home wasn't THAT bad, once it got going.
I'm interested to see the future of this race weekend. I do want to run it if it falls on my birthday weekend again. Next year it's a few days later than my birthday.
It looks like it'll be Tink next year, at least. I'm still really rooting for a switch to Pixar though! That would be a great birthday present to yourself. :)
Aw, and just like that another great TR is over! And I just got caught up too! Thank you for taking the time to write it - as always, loved your photos, insight, and perspective on the race and DL in general.
Thanks so much! :)
I am *this close* to doing one of the DL races next year or 2018. I think I'd like to go for the pink C2C medal if I do it - sounds like Tink was a great race weekend, and my first ever half was the Disney princess so it has a special place in my heart.
The Disneyland races are super different than WDW. I think in good ways and bad ways...I'd say the 5Ks are similar, course-wise, but I think WDW 5Ks have more entertainment. I think the Disneyland 10Ks are WAY better, course-wise. For the half marathons, I think the park time is about the same, but when you run Disneyland half marathons, the first 3-4 miles are parks, and then the rest is out in Anaheim. And the Anaheim portions do have entertainment, but it's not Disney. Whereas with WDW the park portions are a little more spread out and the non-park sections still have characters and whatnot.

And as I said, it's WAY easier to get to the corrals and expo at Disneyland races.
Are you going to be doing both the GSC and the PDC next year?
Yes - I deferred both of them, so I should be getting sign-up links for both. :) I'm undecided on whether I'll do the 5Ks for those weekends as well...right now I'm thinking I will but I keep going back and forth.
Can't believe that about your flight! Good call on the $500. Easy money!
Exactly - likely going to use it for my Goofy or Princess flights! :) Yay!

Yay! So much to read. You were speedy finishing this report up! I apologize in advance for all of my upcoming comments!

Peopling watching while eating a meal solo is like the best thing over. How fun!

I was dying reading about the Evil Queen saying that stuff to the parents of a baby! I would have been so flustered! :rotfl2:

That is so weird/funny that a stranger asked to take a picture of you. To be honest, I could totally see my Mom doing that though. She just LOVES people and ANYTHING (or anyone I suppose) that she takes a fancy to, she takes a picture with her phone so she can talk about it with my Dad or one of us later haha

I thought you were really nice to stop what you were doing and look for your Mom's credit card. I really think I would have been tempted to tell her to keep looking and in a couple of hours I would go around to lost and found. You're a better person than me. :littleangel:

I think spectating a race would be so fun! Maybe a little difficult mentally, if you are used to always running the Disney halves though.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic of you giving Tink the side eye! So perfect to sum up your feelings about her and like you said not running the half.

The flowers at Disneyland do look gorgeous. I'm getting so excited to go next year!

Oh props to you for selling your camera! It reminds me of the book that has been popular The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up. I haven't read it, but I have so many friends that have told me about it, I feel like I have haha. Anyway, the basic concept of only keeping things that bring you joy I like. If it doesn't bring you joy, why keep it?

And I'm so sorry you had United problems again! Seriously, what is their deal?? I think I would have been pretty happy to take the $500 to be bumped. That is not a small chunk of change!

Yay! So much to read. You were speedy finishing this report up! I apologize in advance for all of my upcoming comments!
:)
Peopling watching while eating a meal solo is like the best thing over. How fun!
Yeah, I liked it a lot! People watching on Main Street is even better!
I was dying reading about the Evil Queen saying that stuff to the parents of a baby! I would have been so flustered! :rotfl2:
The mom totally was - so was I! This queen was legit EVIL! :eek:
That is so weird/funny that a stranger asked to take a picture of you. To be honest, I could totally see my Mom doing that though. She just LOVES people and ANYTHING (or anyone I suppose) that she takes a fancy to, she takes a picture with her phone so she can talk about it with my Dad or one of us later haha
That's really cute of your mom! :) Like...I sort of get it, but I still it's weird that some random lady has a picture of me!
I thought you were really nice to stop what you were doing and look for your Mom's credit card. I really think I would have been tempted to tell her to keep looking and in a couple of hours I would go around to lost and found. You're a better person than me. :littleangel:
I mean...I DID stop for a character photo or two in there, so I'm not exactly an angel. :teeth: But thanks!! :)
I think spectating a race would be so fun! Maybe a little difficult mentally, if you are used to always running the Disney halves though.
Yeah, it was fun but weird...I think at that point I was mostly at peace with not running, so that helped me enjoy it more.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic of you giving Tink the side eye! So perfect to sum up your feelings about her and like you said not running the half.
:teeth:
The flowers at Disneyland do look gorgeous. I'm getting so excited to go next year!
You'll love it. It's so different from WDW...way more laid-back, I think.
Oh props to you for selling your camera! It reminds me of the book that has been popular The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up. I haven't read it, but I have so many friends that have told me about it, I feel like I have haha. Anyway, the basic concept of only keeping things that bring you joy I like. If it doesn't bring you joy, why keep it?
Yes, exactly!! I haven't read the book but I'm starting to get the urge to clear stuff out, so I totally get that mentality. I just took some camera stuff that I sold on eBay )tripod, camera bag, lens case) to the post office and felt really good about it, so I still think it was the right decision. :)
And I'm so sorry you had United problems again! Seriously, what is their deal?? I think I would have been pretty happy to take the $500 to be bumped. That is not a small chunk of change!
Ugh, I know! The actual flights themselves were fine - they always are - but everything leading up to them was a mess!

But yeah...not gonna complain about $500! :teeth: That's a crazy amount!![/QUOTE]

UM...not great news about California Grill! I just made a reservation for dinner there after Wine & Dine!! :eek:

You'll probably be fine. I have terrible luck! My experience was also a few years ago, just after they'd reopened after the retheming/refurbishment. I've had good friends dine there several times in the meantime and they rave about it (and let us know in advance which night they're eating there so we can make alternate arrangements :)). But a tip from me to you: stay away from the scallops and mussels!

You'll probably be fine. I have terrible luck! My experience was also a few years ago, just after they'd reopened after the retheming/refurbishment. I've had good friends dine there several times in the meantime and they rave about it (and let us know in advance which night they're eating there so we can make alternate arrangements :)). But a tip from me to you: stay away from the scallops and mussels!
I have only been there once and it was way back in 2011 - before the new menu. And I don't eat seafood, so maybe I'll be okay! :)

Great report! But you always do great reports! I love that you locked yourself into more United flights! I am flying United this weekend (Memorial Weekend! :eek:) so that will be fun! Not! But I will deal with it to go see my DD26 in Colorado Springs!

I have to comment on something I read a LONG way back in the report, lol! I also call the Ferris Wheel at DCA the Death Wheel! So much that I don't even remember what it is really called! I have a horrible fear of Ferris Wheels in general but that one seems so HUGE!

Glad you enjoyed your races and had no pain! :banana:

Great report! But you always do great reports!
Thank you!! :goodvibes
I love that you locked yourself into more United flights! I am flying United this weekend (Memorial Weekend! :eek:) so that will be fun! Not! But I will deal with it to go see my DD26 in Colorado Springs!
Haha, right? "United, you stink, I hate you...yes I'll fly with you again!" :rotfl2:For FREE, sure. Otherwise I'd take a break for a bit and try Southwest or whatever for awhile. :upsidedow I hope you have better luck than I do this weekend and a fun trip!!
I have to comment on something I read a LONG way back in the report, lol! I also call the Ferris Wheel at DCA the Death Wheel! So much that I don't even remember what it is really called! I have a horrible fear of Ferris Wheels in general but that one seems so HUGE!
UMMMM YEAH...Ferris Wheels are terrifying! I will NOT ride that thing (which is actually called Mickey's Fun Wheel). It's probably my favorite Disney Parks icon to look at, but I won't ride it!

And it even takes it a step further beyond a regular Ferris Wheel with those swinging gondolas...no thank you!
Glad you enjoyed your races and had no pain! :banana:
Me too! :yay: Thanks for reading! :)

I can't believe your TR is over already... WAH!!!

Psssh, who's famous?! Not moi!
:p
58151878.jpg

And yet you were you surprised you were stopped by strangers for a photo???

bb6c1610-325f-0133-5b2e-0aecee5a8273.gif

I agree!! Bye-bye, MarathonFoto!!

SEE YA :wave2:

Yeah, I really don't understand the motivation between their non-corral corralling system. :confused3
I agree!!

It's fun, right?!

Yes!! The races go through Downtown Disney to finish by the Disneyland Hotel!

I can't believe you got those pics on the course! That's awesome!!!

Do you think maybe they knew the famous Ariel484 was on her way and cleared it for you? Seems a bit fishy to me! haha

Dang girl, you mad?
26355863283_7b1a08e26c_z.jpg

Haha this pic is great!!!

Actually, now that I think about it...pretty sure she said something about not liking my outfit. Which, come on...my outfit was ON POINT that day. ::yes::

Outfit on FLEEEK!
on-fleek.gif

“because you're so colorful, with your outfit and your medal!”

OR because you're FAMOUS!!

Then selfie-ing!

You did a much better job than me! BLURRRRRY!
26028031612_2b4eeaecbd_b.jpg

We could hear the Tink Half going on from our hotel room (the finish was right near the Disneyland Hotel), so I decided to go watch the race for a bit! I camped out at the straightaway right by the finish line.
26926750846_1b407c7ee9_z.jpg

Oh that's cool that you got to spectate, I really want to spectate a big race like this, I bet it's tots emosh!

AND you meet Keels fantastic!

I really enjoyed your TR thanks again for sharing! It does make me want to visit Disneyland SO bad though!

I can't believe your TR is over already... WAH!!!

Soooorry! :sad:

And yet you were you surprised you were stopped by strangers for a photo???

bb6c1610-325f-0133-5b2e-0aecee5a8273.gif
:rotfl2:

62b24836acf671ada7f707dee9bf0622.jpg

Yeah, I really don't understand the motivation between their non-corral corralling system. :confused3
I agree!!

It's fun, right?!
I agree! I think they just had to make a lot of changes with the race starting in the park, and to be able to clean up/turn things over quickly to be ready for the park to open!

I can't believe you got those pics on the course! That's awesome!!!

Do you think maybe they knew the famous Ariel484 was on her way and cleared it for you? Seems a bit fishy to me! haha

Oh, obviously! ;) :rotfl2:
c32fc27b3f230c08a5f809cc2471524c3048af72db6acf0ec866cc883f119a8a.jpg

Haha this pic is great!!!
that was a candid moment right there! :eek:
Outfit on FLEEEK!

As per uze. :p

OR because you're FAMOUS!!
:rotfl2:
You did a much better job than me! BLURRRRRY!

CUTE!!

Oh that's cool that you got to spectate, I really want to spectate a big race like this, I bet it's tots emosh!
Totes for realz. ::yes::
AND you meet Keels fantastic!
The briefest of meetings - enough to exchange a high-five!
I really enjoyed your TR thanks again for sharing! It does make me want to visit Disneyland SO bad though!
Soooo go there!!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter