Fairfield Inn July 11-18 or NEW hotel w/ waterpark July 16-22

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
I need help in planning our first family trip to DLR - I have 2 choices right now. Stick with my current plans that work beautifully or rearrange my plans to stay in a brand new hotel with a fun waterpark? I have just heard that a new Courtyard Marriott (#2 on this map) will open on July 16, 2015.

Original plan: Fairfield Inn from July 11-18
Pros - very close to DLR entrance, basic hotel, should be slightly less crowded since it is the week before the 60th (on July 17), works beautifully in my whole itinerary
Cons - very basic, no breakfast

CourtyardMarriottAnaheim.jpg

Option #2: Brand NEW Courtyard Marriott from July 16-22
Pros - would be among the first to stay in the rooms (opens July 16), even closer to DLR (next to Mimi's Cafe I believe). My 2 kids would adore the waterpark, the design, etc looks fresh and the rooms sound much nicer (many rooms have bunkbeds). Plus it is a brand new place vs a dated Fairfield Inn.
Cons - likely an even more crowded week as people flood in for the 60th anniversary on July 17, possible construction snafus, have to turn my itinerary upside down and this won't work quite as well, no free breakfast (neither does the Fairfield Inn)

My big concerns are:

- crowds. Still, we have 5 full days and should manage. We just spent Christmas Week in WDW and didn't find it too bad (i.e. I would do it again)

- walking distance. I can stay in any Marriott family hotel (have a certificate for a 1 week stay) so also considered the new Springhill Suites by the Convention Centre and the Residence Inn. But a big part of my dreams for DLR is to stay really, really close (completely not possible at WDW). We are an athletic family but I always dread the walk from the bus stop to my hotel room at WDW. So I do like that the new hotel is even closer to DLR.

- overall itinerary. My original plan was beautiful. 4 park days, 1 rest day, then July 17th (the 60th anniversary). Sleep in the next morning and then drive to Sequoia National Park for 3 nights before flying home.
My new plan would mean my first park day is the crazy July 17 (60th anniversary) and all 5 days in a row (which would be on a weekend instead of weekdays in Plan #1) then 3 nights in Seqouia National Park before flying home.

Any feedback or thoughts on crowd levels or how switching would work with my overall itinerary? Am I nuts for thinking of changing my carefully laid plans just for a new hotel?

Last edited:
The Touring Plans crowd calendar shows both of those times as very similar levels as far as crowds go if that helps at all :scratchin

I'd go with the new Courtyard. It looks A LOT nicer than the Fairfield. I prefer interior corridors vs. outside corridors. The waterslides look like they would be really fun for the kids. You mentioned a con at Fairfield would be no breakfast, but I don't think Courtyard offers a free breakfast either. I think they are both about the same walking distance from DL. Also, as far as crowds go, it's going to be busy any way you slice it. The only other concern I would have is that a new hotel will not have all the little kinks worked out yet, however, they may have some really fantastic grand opening rates too.

Last edited:
I've been looking for information about reservations at the new Courtyard, but I haven't been able to find anything. Would you mind posting a link to where you found the info on the opening date? Thanks!

It looks like the new Courtyard is actually further away than the Fairfield. I am judging this based on the address of 1420 S Harbor, which, walking away from DL would be right past the Fairfield. And judging by Google Earth, it looks like it is being constructed similar to the Fairfield in that it is set back from Harbor. (so, slightly longer, not shorter walk.)

I would also be concerned about the possibility of them not being ready to open right on time.

I've been looking for information about reservations at the new Courtyard, but I haven't been able to find anything. Would you mind posting a link to where you found the info on the opening date? Thanks!
In my original post I have 2 links in my opening paragraph. The one forCourtyard Marriott links to an article. I also found mention onHOJo's blog but they quoted July 15. Very very little info on the Internet. Have not seen anything for reservations yet.

The story I heard is that it will be closer to the DLR entrance as it is in the parking lot next to Mimi's Cafe. Good to know it is possible it will be further away.

I would go with the new hotel because you may be spending more time at the hotel if the parks are hot/crowded, and it looks like it has more to do (with the waterpark).

Also, thank you for posting this, I didn't realize they were going to be building this, and now I want to book for Sept/Oct! Looks great!

3 things that may help:

1. My cousin stays at the Fairfield Inn for her go-to hotel at DLR. She loves it and they staff is always friendly, clean rooms, and you can have a fireworks view room. The walk is easy - she usually meets us at GCH and calls when they're leaving the hotel and we slowly make our way downstairs so I think it's about a 5 minute walk! No breakfast but they always do a Vons order. There is also a McDonalds on your walk to the park and sometimes they've stopped to get muffins to go at the Mimi's Cafe. She also gets great deals from them since they stay there everytime and they have price matched when she's arrived for check in and found a cheaper rate online that day. It does have outdoor hallways but it still has a hotel feel.

2. BUT the new Courtyard Downtown looks really fun with the water slides. The Fairfield Inn pool is boring (though I think you can order poolside delivery to the pool from the Pizza Hut inside the hotel) and in the parking lot. In July you will want to use the pool a lot and the waterslide park looks amazing! I sent my cousin the link and she said they may have to change their go-to hotel for the first time in 7 years ;-)
We saw it being built and it IS across the street from DLR and next to Fairfield Inn (between HoJo and Fairfield) so your walk would be the same distance. I wouldn't bother with the Springhill since you want to be within walking distance. Fairfield and the new Courtyard are the closest off-site you are going to get.

3. If you book the Courtyard and it's not ready in-time they have a policy to honor your rate at another Marriott so you would probably be routed to the Fairfield as a backup.

If we stayed off-site I'd try the new Courtyard Waterpark hotel- looks fun! :jumping1:

I think I would try the new place, but make my own back up reservations at the Fairfield, just in case there is some type of construction delay. That way you know you'll have a close hotel no matter what, and you can just cancel them shortly before your trip if the new place opens on target.

The website for the new hotel says "The exciting waterpark is located on the second floor observation deck where you can explore six water slides, a 400-gallon drench bucket, water cannons, children's pool, lap pool and hot tub." but I don't think the photo represents that very well. If they truly have all of those features in the water park, they're going to give HoJo's a run for their money, especially since the new hotel is a bit closer to DLR. We saw it under construction in November and it's massive. We'll definitely be checking it out for any future offsite trips. :)

The website for the new hotel says "The exciting waterpark is located on the second floor observation deck where you can explore six water slides, a 400-gallon drench bucket, water cannons, children's pool, lap pool and hot tub." but I don't think the photo represents that very well. If they truly have all of those features in the water park, they're going to give HoJo's a run for their money, especially since the new hotel is a bit closer to DLR. We saw it under construction in November and it's massive. We'll definitely be checking it out for any future offsite trips. :)
I agree, plus it sounds like they can accommodate bigger families easily with the bunk beds in all rooms.

(I formerly was nannyz; had to make a new account)

I always stay at HoJo and I assume that this new hotel is behind Mimi's, which is right next door to HoJo. One would have to be a speed walker to get from that location to the entrance to DLR in 5 minutes. On another note, I wonder why Marriott is building another hotel so close to the Fairfield.

(I formerly was nannyz; had to make a new account)

I always stay at HoJo and I assume that this new hotel is behind Mimi's, which is right next door to HoJo. One would have to be a speed walker to get from that location to the entrance to DLR in 5 minutes. On another note, I wonder why Marriott is building another hotel so close to the Fairfield.

Yes, the address given places this hotel right behind Mimi's. I had read somewhere that this land was owned by the same owner as the Hojo and the landowner was building this new hotel. So I guess Hojo and this new Marriott are both owned by the same person/entity if that information was true. I was wondering too about the two Marriott properties right next door to each other. I guess Marriott must think the demand is high enough that they aren't worried about cannibalizing their own customer base. That Fairfield does seem to be a popular choice. If it was booked up consistently during peak times, then demand had probably exceeded capacity. I wonder a little how this might affect Hojo's booking levels. They have worked hard in recent years to build a loyal customer base and to add upgrades throughout the property. Will it compete as well against a brand new family-oriented hotel directly across the street? I'm still not sure I'd be tempted away. That door separating the bunk beds from the king bed room in the kid suite makes it worth the price to me.

I laughed at the 5 minutes too! I'm thinking 7-12 minutes depending on walking speed and wait at the crosswalk.

I'm imagining fairly costly. Maybe close to Paradise Pier rates. Its a Courtyard with waterslides = money. At least, more than we'll be able to spend on a DL trip. Still, it looks like it will be great and maybe the new standard of what all Harbor hotels should model themselves to be like.

Wow, the new hotel looks fantastic! I think we'll have to look into staying there for our next trip. As a new family of 6 we've been struggling with where to stay now that we can't fit in a standard room on property.

I agree w Butterfly123. I would hold reservations at both as long as possible without penalty. This way you can be more certain that the new Courtyard Marriott will meet its opening date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter