failsafe popcorn recipes?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
Anyone got a good T&T recipe for popcorn? I usually only cook about 25g (1 oz) at a time in a hot air blower, but its kind of boring and DS(12) wants something more tasty :rolleyes1

TIA

Anyone? :confused: Its so wet we're planning a movie afternoon and some popcorn would be nice - and I'm not going out to buy some in this weather:rotfl:

We use an air-popper. While the popcorn's popping, DH melts a little salted butter in the microwave. When the popcorn's done, he transfers it in small amounts to another bowl and swirls in the melted butter, then shakes a seasoning** on it. He does this in layers until the popcorn (from the first bowl) or melted butter (in a glass measuring cup) runs out. He then gives the big bowl a shake or lightly tosses the seasoned popcorn with his (clean!) hand.

**We purchase the Land o' Lakes flavorings (at Target), which come in White Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar, Nacho Cheese, and Sour Cream & Onion, but grated parmesan cheese, garlic powder, or smoked paprika might work well. :thumbsup2

That sounds easy enough:goodvibes I don't know if we can get those seasonings over here, I'll have to check. Otherwise I have parmesan and paprika in the house:thumbsup2 We've got a holiday weekend coming up and its going to be cold and rainy the WHOLE time:headache:

Sorry for my late response. I love this recipe:

Kettle Corn

1/2c popcorn kernels
1/3c oil (I use vegetable oil)
1/4c sugar

Heat oil to popping temp (put 1 kernel in with the oil and when it pops, the oil is ready), then add the popcorn

Give the pan an occasional shake.

When the kernels start to pop, quickly add the sugar and stir to melt in with the oil and popcorn.

Then cover and continue to occasionally shake til the popping stops.

Pour into heat proof container, salt, stir then salt again. Let it cool (the melted sugar is really hot and will stick to your fingers!)

Stir again to break up large pieces.

If stored in an airtight container or ziplock bags, it will keep for several days.

Tips: It really helps with this recipe if you have the ingredients measured out and ready to go, because you need to move quickly. If you have your stove heat too high, it's easy to burn the popcorn and or sugar. I find that my lighter weight pan works better than my heavy pan. I also use a long handled wooden spoon for stirring and use the pan's lid as a shield while stirring in the sugar. Hope you enjoy!

My popcorn recipe is not the healthiest, but it is delicious. popcorn::

I cook it one the stove in coconut oil, add 1/2 stick of butter when popped and sprinkle in salt. My kids love it.

Here is my recipe:

2-3 table spoons of peanut oil (vegetable oil can be substituted as can bacon grease)

1/3rd cup unpopped pop corn.

In a pot with a cover that can be slightly vented, throw about 4 kernels of corn into the pot. Put oil into the pot and heat on your stove at about the 6-7 settings and cover, be sure to leave a bit of a vent. When the kernels in the pot start popping, remove the pan from direct heat, but keep the stove on.

Here is the key step: Add the rest of the popcorn to the pot and count slowly to 30. Once you go to 30, put the pot back on the stove. You want to let the pot vent, but not be open enough that the popcorn is going to fly out. When the pop corn starts popping, shake it around to get the unpopped kernels to the bottom, and repeat every 20 seconds or so. Remove from heat when you stop hearing popping. Pour half into a bowl and garnish as you wish. Pour rest in, garnish again, and mix.

If you do this right you should have no unpopped kernels!

I like to garnish with any of the following things:
Lemon Pepper
Spicy Spike (found in the spice aisle at your local store.)
Butter and salt
Parmesan Cheese
Penzy's Spices's Peppercorn Dressing (or any of their no-sugar dressing mixes)
Garlic salt
Alder Smoked salt is a great topper if you used bacon grease.

From prettyintink:

7 to 8 cups popped popcorn
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Remove all unpopped kernels from popped popcorn. Put popcorn into a 17X12X2 inch baking or roasting pan. Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degree oven while making caramel mixture.

For caramel mixture, in a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, without stirring, for 5 minutes more.

Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn. Stir gently to coat. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Stir mixture, bake 5 minutes more. Spread caramel corn on a large piece of butterered foil to cool. Store tightly covered for up to 1 week.

From my cousin:

Microwave Carmel Corn
(I haven't tried this one yet, prettyintink also has a microwave recipe, I'll see if I can get it from her)

4 quarts popped popcorn (1 batch of hot air popped popcorn)

In a separate microwave safe bowl, place:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cube margarine (1/4 pound)
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring to a boil on full power. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove bowl from microwave and stir in 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Stir until dissolved.

Put popcorn into a clean brown paper bag. Put in some syrup, close the top, shake, and repeat. Microwave 1 1/2 minutes in the bag.

Let it cool a bit before you eat any as it will be very hot.

Baked Caramel Corn

This is the recipe I tend to use. I've had this recipe for years and years.
It's from the Jollytime Popcorn Company (probably called something else by now). The taste is similar to Cracker Jack, don't know if you have something like Cracker Jack or not. Cracker Jack has peanuts in it. While the recipe doesn't call for nuts, sometimes I add them to the popcorn when I add the syrup anyway.

1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 quarts popped popcorn (no "old maids"-unpopped kernels)

Melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour over popped corn, mixing well. Turn into 2 large shallow pans (like large cookies sheets, the ones with sides on them). Bake in a 250 degree oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool. Break apart and store in a tightly covered container. Makes about 5 quarts caramel corn.

I like my popcorn with a bit of spice, so I melt butter, add a tsp or so each of chili powder and garlic powder, a bit of cumin (1/4 tsp?). Add everything to the bowl of air-popped popcorn cover with a plate and shake. Mmmm, I love it.

Just don't accidentally pick up the cloves that are beside the chili powder! YUCK! (I've done that a few times :rolleyes: ) :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter