Failed Docking at CC

Two very different experiences here:

Kinda missed CC - Oct. 2018 we docked and got all the way over to Serenity Bay when he sky opened up. Without internet we didn't know if it was a spotty issue or would be long-term, but it seemed like a tropical storm with the wind! Didn't even get our feet on the sand! The dozen or so of us who tried to wait it out for a bit ended up having to take cover in the bathrooms. (No joke.) While we weren't forced to, we didn't know what else to do, but head back to the ship. By this point the trams were packed and it was like Kali River Rapids of sheets of rain pummeling us!

Most others beat us back to the ship, but by the time we got back the Cast was offering dry towels at the docking ramp. They were about to start serving hot cocoa at the Deck 1 security check point too! So while we technically docked, it was a "missed CC" experience for us. I couldn't argue it because 1) it was early Oct and 2) this was my 12th DCL, so I felt I was due for the experience.

Kinda got extra CC - We are among I think the 3 cruises(?) that have ever gotten "stuck" at CC. We docked in Feb. 2010 and had a full day. For some odd reason we'd pulled in straight instead of backing in, as is customary. At departure time we were also delayed due to needing to airlift a child to the Miami Children's Hospital. By the time we tried to pull out we hit one of the lane posts, so had to re-dock and send divers in the water to check for any damage to the ship. By the time they finally really tried to set sail it was dinner/show time. Turns out the wind & current were so strong they kept pushing us back into the dock. They had to wait for all that to die-down to depart, which took an entire day! So the next day, when we should have been back to FL, we were still docked at CC and they treated it as a Day at Sea. (For various reasons they did not permit guests off for another Day at CC.) We finally left 24 hrs late getting back to FL on Sun (Valentine's Day!) instead of Sat. You can see our Trip Report of this in my Signature titled "Shipwrecked".

This gave us an extra entire day of DCL for free! They even re-delivered the luggage and delivered new Navigators around by 10am! On top of this, they offered 20% off any rebooking for the "inconvenience". We'd put in for one booking onboard, but already had booked two others. They ended up letting us apply the 20% off to all three. WHAT?! We would obviously happily take this experience again anytime. We will admit trying to call the airline from the ship was a logistical nightmare. Luckily, even though we did have trip insurance, our airline (AirTran at the time) waived all the fees.

From the reports I read the people who were supposed to board on Sat. that were delayed until Sunday were offered 1) cancel with no fees, OR 2) gathered at EPCOT, given a 1 day park ticket, and a nominal voucher for food, 3) provided lodging of what was left at WDW and nearby hotels, such as Caribe Royale since WDW was full, and 4) 20% refund of their 7 night sailing & re-bookings. If it had been us, we obviously would have been disappointed, but knew there was nothing they could do, and this was about the best "guest recovery" effort they could put forth. We did see some TV interviews of people ranting how this delay had ruined their entire vacation/life, which we thought was a bit over-dramatic.

These efforts on both ends of being delayed are one of the many reasons we keep sailing DCL!

We were on this cruise too! The disappointment of not going to CC was real, but the “story of the Cubans” has stuck with us more than anything that could have happened on CC. We didn’t even get off the boat in Nassau. Sometimes the things that go wrong often make the best memories (Gretchen Rubin)!

Too funny! Presidents Day week, 2015 on the Wonder, right? ;) We stayed on the ship too as it was pretty chilly and windy. And yes, while I was bummed about missing CC, watching from the deck as everything unfolded was quite an experience. :eek:

In 13 cruises we have never missed CC! We got there a little late one day because of a medical emergency. We also docked at like 11pm the night before once because the Captain was worried about winds in the morning.

Kinda missed CC - Oct. 2018 we docked and got all the way over to Serenity Bay when he sky opened up. Without internet we didn't know if it was a spotty issue or would be long-term, but it seemed like a tropical storm with the wind! Didn't even get our feet on the sand! The dozen or so of us who tried to wait it out for a bit ended up having to take cover in the bathrooms. (No joke.) While we weren't forced to, we didn't know what else to do, but head back to the ship. By this point the trams were packed and it was like Kali River Rapids of sheets of rain pummeling us!

Most others beat us back to the ship, but by the time we got back the Cast was offering dry towels at the docking ramp. They were about to start serving hot cocoa at the Deck 1 security check point too! So while we technically docked, it was a "missed CC" experience for us. I couldn't argue it because 1) it was early Oct and 2) this was my 12th DCL, so I felt I was due for the experience.

This happened to us on the Dream at the end of March of 2016. We hadn't been to CC since 2004 and we were really looking forward to it. We got my then-17 year old into a teen excursion and headed to Serenity Bay for the first time...and they said they had just closed it...and wham, the monsoon hit. The teen excursion was canceled, DS was hiding in a bathroom with other teen club kids, DH and I made it to cookies BBQ pavillion where it was raining in sideways. After an hour or so of nonstop rain we headed back to the ship and got to our room about 1230. I fell asleep and woke up at 3 and it was just cloudy so DH and I did go to the CC beach for about 15 minutes just to say we had been, but it was too cool to go in the water. It was a real bummer, but s*** happens, right? Now whenever we see a real bad rainstorm we say "it's just like that time at Castaway Cay!"

Disney Cruise Line Blog on IG noted today that: "After three attempts to approach the pier, Captain Marco called off docking at Castaway Cay today."

Obviously, safety is paramount and I am certain not docking here was the prudent action. It's in Disney's best interest to have guests enjoy their experience at CC, so I am not in any way, shape, or form questioning the captain's decision.

My question, rather, is how many of you have had this experience where CC has not been a possibility due to weather (or other reason) during your cruise? How did you truly feel about it?

We have not had this experience in more than a half dozen Caribbean cruises, but I do think it would be very disappointing, particularly if this was your first time on DCL and you were really looking forward to CC (and you should be, btw - it's fantastic). I would think this would be true even if you were well aware it was the right decision. If you've been previously, then maybe it's not so disappointing, but if it's your first time there...well, it's typically a very anticipated portion of any Bahamian/Caribbean itinerary that has it scheduled.

Did it dampen your entire feeling about the trip? Was it inconsequential to you? Somewhere in the middle? How did DCL try to "make up" for the unexpected missed stop? How did you/your family adjust?

Have any of you ever cruised on DCL where CC was a part of the itinerary, but they knew before they left Port Canaveral that it would't happen, or is this always a day of decision? Have you ever felt like it might be the wrong decision?

On our Christmas cruise on the Fantasy last year we almost missed CC. The first attempt failed and so they positioned and waited a bit, checked currents or whatever it was they needed to do for another attempt and we were able to land prior to noon finally. Excursions were cancelled, the 5K race was a bit of a mess and it was kind of a rushed day. At first I was surprised more than anything... then was very, very glad my parents had not traveled with us as they have never been to CC before and it would have made my Mom very sad to miss it. To us its just a beach (I did really want to see the xmas decorations though!) so it would have been fine to have a sea day. As you said there is nothing to be done as safety is the most important thing. We ended up making it in the end.

I know its not quite what you were asking for, but I honestly think just missing it and moving on with the day might have been easier in some ways since the whole ship was on hold with no info waiting to see what we were doing - the crew was just as on edge during that time.

i got off the fantasy this past saturday, and yes, we were all disappointed that we couldn't dock.

~7:30am i woke up to the ship shuddering (we were deck 7 forward), so i thought to myself, yay, we are docking at CC! but when i looked out the window later, it looked like we were still at sea. shortly thereafter leslie the cruise director came over the PA system and said the winds were strong, etc.

during breakfast, our server told us usually they would keep trying to dock until 12 or 1, and, while working for another company, he had been on an 8-nighter with 5 ports, during which they were only able to make 1 docking! once he put that into perspective, i felt more at ease. around the time we finished our breakfast (there may have been one attempt during the meal, can't really recall), the cruise direcrtor announced that they would make our third and last attempt at 11am.

before 11 rolled around, i went to deck 4, and we got this close...

57674120_2921101111234093_4625122608864559104_n.jpg

...before they pulled away again. sigh...

but honestly, even though we couldn't dock at CC, my family still had a good time. we swam with the dolphins at cozumel (even though it poured for the first two hours we were in port, and we heard thunder so the excursion was postponed a bit), had a lovely beach day at the royal palms beach club at grand cayman, and walked around the port vicinity at falmouth (didn't venture beyond as a friend reported they were accosted at nearly every turn). during the at sea days, we had delicious meals at the MDRs, cabanas, and palo, enjoyed the evening shows, did family crafts, had multiple soft serves each and every day (!!), etc.

sure it was sad we got so close w/o docking, but it was a vacation for all of us, and i am thankful that DCL put the safety of the passengers at the forefront.

number-6-Maxwell-Smart.jpg

Our first (and only) Disney cruise was last Memorial Day and we were unable to dock at CC. It was one of the things we were most looking forward to, especially my husband since he had been with friends in college and the island was his favorite part (ok so my first and his second cruise). It was definitely disappointing and it was rainy most of the day so not much fun to be at the pools. We did enjoy watching Han Solo in the theater and went to play trivia and some other activities that we would have missed. Bonus, my husband who swore this was a once kind of thing, is humoring me by going on a CC double-dip next year - so we have two attempts to make it. :)

Michael Kay has a vlog about missing Castaway Cay this past winter at

It was terrible to watch. I'm a grown man with 5 kids and could feel his pain watching. It's no one's fault, and I wouldn't take it out on anyone, but as a stress eater, if I missed CC, I'd spend the entire day at Cabanas...

Michael Kay was on the Wonder cruise last year that got to double dip at Castaway, I think another poster has mentioned that sailing.

I was on that one too and didn’t mind missing St Maarten at a,l 🤣

Michael Kay was on the Wonder cruise last year that got to double dip at Castaway, I think another poster has mentioned that sailing.

I was there. Best sail away news ever. Since we were Concierge, we got double Cabanas as well...

We were able to dock both days of our Double Dip last week, but the first day we got hit with a tropical wave and it rained and stormed all day - to the point they had to close the gangways. It sucked to look out and see the island - when we could as often the rain was so bad we could not even see if - but the cruise director Carly and her team did an awesome job of adding events to the schedule to keep us occupied.

I was also on that cruise. I was doing a happy dance when we got the news!!

We were able to dock both days of our Double Dip last week, but the first day we got hit with a tropical wave and it rained and stormed all day - to the point they had to close the gangways. It sucked to look out and see the island - when we could as often the rain was so bad we could not even see if - but the cruise director Carly and her team did an awesome job of adding events to the schedule to keep us occupied.
Carly!!!! She was my first cruise director. I absolutely loved her. Giggled when I met her at the final day sail away party. Loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter