• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fabulous Deals Coming

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
So I have been thinking that almost all retailers--whether they are vacation destinations, hotels, clothing stores, car dealerships...everything, will be offering big sales and incentives as we move forward into our post isolation Covid world. I am grateful that our job situation, etc, has allowed us to maintain a steady income so our discretionary spending will still be intact when we are ready to get back out there. I'd love to start a thread of great deals that people are finding on things, particularly travel, and maybe a cell phone, lol. Those dang things NEVER go on sale and I'd like to upgrade! What are everyone's thoughts on this?

So I have been thinking that almost all retailers--whether they are vacation destinations, hotels, clothing stores, car dealerships...everything, will be offering big sales and incentives as we move forward into our post isolation Covid world. I am grateful that our job situation, etc, has allowed us to maintain a steady income so our discretionary spending will still be intact when we are ready to get back out there. I'd love to start a thread of great deals that people are finding on things, particularly travel, and maybe a cell phone, lol. Those dang things NEVER go on sale and I'd like to upgrade! What are everyone's thoughts on this?

people are dying from this virus and this is what you are thinking. From a earlier post of yours which you responded to me same thing.

people are putting their lives on the line fighting this virus and this is what you think about. From a earlier post of yours
Yep. That's right. I acknowledged that I am in a good situation with my employment. This is a budget board.
I also wasn't telling an ER nurse on the front lines of Covid that she should "be making bank" with all her overtime. You're just looking to criticize me after your insensitive post. Thanks for your feedback

Ignore the trolls. Your just trying to find a positive fun topic to dream on during this not so positive time. Don't let them ruin it. And in case someone wants to rain on me and say I'm insensitive. I am in a similar situation. My husbands job is secure and I am a nurse, abet in a not hard hit part of the country (as of now). I looked up cruises during November break and found carnival 6-7 day cruises for less than 1500 for four people in a balcony room. I'd call that a pretty good deal. I can't book it though :( Future is just too uncertain with ability to travel etc and if I can get the time off. I did book a DVC room for the break in November. As I will lose the points if not used it isn't as much of a risk.

Find your happy discussion in this bad situation. As a nurse companies are offering nice discounts even on home appliances etc which is helpful since we are closing on our new home in a month. The contract was put down before COVID happened or we likely would put off moving/purchasing a home but we had over 15,000$ tied up in it when all this happened as it is a new build and I put upgrades into it. I will appreciate the discount on the appliances when we move in.

Ignore the trolls. Your just trying to find a positive fun topic to dream on during this not so positive time. Don't let them ruin it. And in case someone wants to rain on me and say I'm insensitive. I am in a similar situation. My husbands job is secure and I am a nurse, abet in a not hard hit part of the country (as of now). I looked up cruises during November break and found carnival 6-7 day cruises for less than 1500 for four people in a balcony room. I'd call that a pretty good deal. I can't book it though :( Future is just too uncertain with ability to travel etc and if I can get the time off. I did book a DVC room for the break in November. As I will lose the points if not used it isn't as much of a risk.

Find your happy discussion in this bad situation. As a nurse companies are offering nice discounts even on home appliances etc which is helpful since we are closing on our new home in a month. The contract was put down before COVID happened or we likely would put off moving/purchasing a home but we had over 15,000$ tied up in it when all this happened as it is a new build and I put upgrades into it. I will appreciate the discount on the appliances when we move in.

Thank you! Many may feel I am a jerk. I'm not. I am doing exactly what you said. I am trying to dream of some fun and joy after all of this is being managed in a way where we can continue our lives. Dreaming of travel is an outlet for me in this. Thank you for your work as a nurse. We are blessed by your knowledge and willingness to help.

The only things I can offer at this point is

Walmart has frozen turkeys clearanced (I guess no one wants to do THAT kind of cooking during this).

our hobby lobby reopened yesterday and we needed more sewing thread for masks. there was alllll the untouched Easter stuff for 80% off. I ended up with a couple of bright colored shaggy plastic garlands to use on my classroom bulletin board next year.

retail is to open starting Friday, so we will wait and see what happens then

MKCP5-

I, for one, appreciate your thread topic. My goodness, it's not like you interrupted some other thread of a more dire theme to announced "the hell with you all, I want to go on vacation and buy a new car!"
I need something to look forward to! My husband raised some of the same thoughts you initially did, specifically about travel in our case. We were just about to book something when all this went down, so we held off. Now we are REALLY looking forward to the ability to travel once we can. We are holding off on booking, both to watch and see if any better deals can be taken advantage of, and to avoid booking and having to cancel again. But we are ready.
My SIL is a nurse, she's had to cancel a previously planned trip in March to Universal w/ her daughter & husband. They've rebooked for June, and if they can't go in June, they'll rebook for July......she & her husband have been working their fingers to the bones (nurse & grocery store manager) and one of the things that is keeping them sane is planning their next trip!

I agree. Yes we are in a pandemic but that does not mean that every conversation has to be doom and gloom.

We have had to cancel 2 trips also. Vegas/Disneyland trip and Alaska Cruise. We have another cruise booked for December. Just keeping fingers crossed on that one. There are some good travel deals if you can book refundable fares - just in case you need to cancel.

Why are you even responding to that person? This is a good thread topic.

Anyway not the car I want but the type of car I want MSRP is already down 6k at 22k. It’s a 2020 car too. I think there’s a 2021 with a new facelift coming. I hope I can get it down to below 20k. There’s over a 150 of the model in my area and over 300 of the model within 100 miles of me. I just hope they still have some in September when I’m ready to buy.

What do you guys think would be a good down payment for a college student? I’m budgeting 3k but I don’t think that would be enough. I want to do a 3-5 year loan.

I agree we have a pandemic and yes people are dying and people are losing their jobs but millions die around the world every single year from famine, cholera, natural disasters or the fact they are living on a subsistence wage so does that mean I should spend my every waking hour hand wringing, gnashing my teeth and donating all my disposable income to charitable works to end world suffering. No it doesn't it makes me human that I want a bargain and I want a holiday. I do donate a significant proportion of my income to a number of charities because I can afford it and want to. Quite frankly if we are ever going to get the worlds economies going again then the world needs people who are prepared to spend when they think there is a good deal otherwise the unemployed are doomed to remain unemployed and given the cost of dealing with this pandemic we need the taxes from as many people working and spending as we can get.

What do you guys think would be a good down payment for a college student? I’m budgeting 3k but I don’t think that would be enough. I want to do a 3-5 year loan.
In general, i think larger is almost always better. Id use a payment calculator to figure out what downpayment would be required to make the payments affordable, and then try to make the down payment as much over that amount as i could.

do you use a budgeting system/orogram? Having a formuluzed budget (esp for discretionary spending) would have made such a huge difference for me in college.

Cruises. Disney in particular knows when kids are out of school and jack up the prices like crazy on those dates. One week later - still pricey but you get what you pay for so no complaints. If Disney offers the "one week later" price on dates my kids are out of school I'd roll the dice...ON DCL.

Not a chance you'd get me on a Princess cruise.

Why are you even responding to that person? This is a good thread topic.

Anyway not the car I want but the type of car I want MSRP is already down 6k at 22k. It’s a 2020 car too. I think there’s a 2021 with a new facelift coming. I hope I can get it down to below 20k. There’s over a 150 of the model in my area and over 300 of the model within 100 miles of me. I just hope they still have some in September when I’m ready to buy.

As much as you can, though without touching your emergency fund. Don’t focus on the amount due per month when setting loan up. Yes, it’s important, but more important is the interest rate. Many cars salespeople like to ask how much you want to pay per month and then try to sell you an expensive car with high interest rate- just don’t answer that question. The most important thing about your loan is the interest rate and total interest you will pay if you use the full time to pay it off. If they offer you a range of months with the same interest rate, take the longest one. You can always pay it off early (though not immediately), but if you lose your job or something and took a short loan, you may regret it.

Anyways, excellent thread. Things are just starting to open in a few states. I think how deep deals go for physical stores depend on sales- if a store is getting enough traffic they may not want to run a sale. Social distancing is being required in non-essential stores in some states and a massive sale would make that difficult. But if nearly no one is going to the store, then a sale with just the right discount would attract some customers but not too many. I don’t envy the executives making these decisions right now!

Once travel is allowed, I think that’s where we will see the biggest discounts.

Many cars salespeople like to ask how much you want to pay per month and then try to sell you an expensive car with high interest rate- just don’t answer that question.
Agree! Dont discuss the car with the salesman in terms of monthly payment!!! They love to say, “adding this feature only increases your payment $10” as a way of obscuring total cost

we used car buying services through USAA to get our last two cars, i like that no-hassle option

We refinanced the house a few weeks ago. I was already thinking about doing it pre-COVID and then post-COVID made it a no brainer for my situation.

We may consider replacing my wife's car depending on what kind of deals are available. Her car is 7 years old but it only has 60,000 miles on it and it's given us no problems. She obviously doesn't drive that much but it will be something we'll look into. We are thinking of replacing our water heater and possibly going tankless. We decided to wait until Memorial Day to see if there are any deals being offered. We already have a gas water heater so we don't qualify for any of the rebates.

I bid my leave one year in advance every fall so I can't just take advantage of vacation deals but there are obviously some great ones available to those with more flexible schedules.

I agree we have a pandemic and yes people are dying and people are losing their jobs but millions die around the world every single year from famine, cholera, natural disasters or the fact they are living on a subsistence wage so does that mean I should spend my every waking hour hand wringing, gnashing my teeth and donating all my disposable income to charitable works to end world suffering. No it doesn't it makes me human that I want a bargain and I want a holiday. I do donate a significant proportion of my income to a number of charities because I can afford it and want to. Quite frankly if we are ever going to get the worlds economies going again then the world needs people who are prepared to spend when they think there is a good deal otherwise the unemployed are doomed to remain unemployed and given the cost of dealing with this pandemic we need the taxes from as many people working and spending as we can get.
I cannot like this post enough!! This whole situation has tuned me into the concept of comparative suffering...it really is quite interesting and very indicative of what people are feeling during these uncertain times. I am all for having something to look forward to :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter