Eyeing first DCL cruise in April and confused by lack of port excursions...

bibbobboo

Earning My Ears
Hi, all:

After waiting for my little one to turn 3 so he could join his big sister in the kids club, my family and I are set to take the plunge and go on our first DCL in April. We're looking at the Eastern Caribbean cruise, and in poking around at the excursions, I've been a bit surprised and dismayed to see the lack of options for kids ages 3 and 6 (and further dismayed to see there are no suggestions or recommendations from Disney itself on what to do on the islands aside from paid excursions).

My general sense now is that perhaps the wonder and magic of DCL cruises rests in what's happening aboard the ship, not necessarily off. If the excursions are something we could take or leave, should I be looking at this as just time to enjoy on the ship? And if that's the case, maybe I should be looking at options that are for less than a week (we wanted time to enjoy the boat but it's hard to imagine doing that for 7 days)? Or should I just go on a DCL cruise in the Pacific (we live in California) instead? It'd be alot more convenient, even though I'm not excited about swimming in the Pacific. The idea of visiting fun islands with warm, clear water and white sand was really compelling. But we could do that separately without the cruise and just have our first DCL cruise experience leaving from San Diego if it's really just about the boat... Sorry if I sound completely clueless. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi, all:

After waiting for my little one to turn 3 so he could join his big sister in the kids club, my family and I are set to take the plunge and go on our first DCL in April. We're looking at the Eastern Caribbean cruise, and in poking around at the excursions, I've been a bit surprised and dismayed to see the lack of options for kids ages 3 and 6 (and further dismayed to see there are no suggestions or recommendations from Disney itself on what to do on the islands aside from paid excursions).

My general sense now is that perhaps the wonder and magic of DCL cruises rests in what's happening aboard the ship, not necessarily off. If the excursions are something we could take or leave, should I be looking at this as just time to enjoy on the ship? And if that's the case, maybe I should be looking at options that are for less than a week (we wanted time to enjoy the boat but it's hard to imagine doing that for 7 days)? Or should I just go on a DCL cruise in the Pacific (we live in California) instead? It'd be alot more convenient, even though I'm not excited about swimming in the Pacific. The idea of visiting fun islands with warm, clear water and white sand was really compelling. But we could do that separately without the cruise and just have our first DCL cruise experience leaving from San Diego if it's really just about the boat... Sorry if I sound completely clueless. Any thoughts appreciated.
While DCL is generally more about the ship than the ports, there are excursions in ports. Many times you can find less costly, and more availability on excursions if you book them independently from DCL.

Also, when in port, a large number of people are off the ship, allowing much more free space onboard for "just the pool" or other things that are pretty busy when everyone is onboard.

And, whether cruising on the west coast or east, you're going to run into the "nothing for 3-6 year olds" excursion problem.

And, whether cruising on the west coast or east, you're going to run into the "nothing for 3-6 year olds" excursion problem.

Thank you. Yes, that's my thinking. If it's more about the ship and less about the excursions at this point for the kids, should I just save a ton of money and take a shorter cruise from the West Coast where I live rather than spend time and $$ to get over there?

Thank you. Yes, that's my thinking. If it's more about the ship and less about the excursions at this point for the kids, should I just save a ton of money and take a shorter cruise from the West Coast where I live rather than spend time and $$ to get over there?

I'd probably do a 4 night cruise with a short trip to WDW at that age. The cruises are great and I like the boat and ports but 3 is very young. We do have great memories doing beach excursions and a dolphin trip when my youngest was 3 and 4. Now that he's 8 it is much easier!

I'd probably do a 4 night cruise with a short trip to WDW at that age.

I probably should do that. That was my initial plan but then I discovered that we'd end up paying a little more than we would if we took the E Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. 7 nights for the same price as 4 seemed silly to pass up, but I am having a hard time figuring out what we'll do for that long if we don't have the excursions to look forward to.

Check out the Ports of Call forums on cruise critic. Fabulous resource to find things to do.

I doubt if any cruiseline tells you what you should do other than take their excursions.

If it's more about the ship and less about the excursions at this point for the kids, should I just save a ton of money and take a shorter cruise from the West Coast where I live rather than spend time and $$ to get over there?

It’s only about the ship if you make it about the ship.

I probably should do that. That was my initial plan but then I discovered that we'd end up paying a little more than we would if we took the E Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. 7 nights for the same price as 4 seemed silly to pass up, but I am having a hard time figuring out what we'll do for that long if we don't have the excursions to look forward to.

I’d go on the trip you want to take.

We're going on the Eastern on the Fantasy in Jan. We're going to beaches at each port(booked with Disney) for a few hours. Our excursions will be done by noon so we plan on going back to the ship for lunch and then enjoying a less crowded ship. This will be our 5th cruise, all 7 nights, we always find tons of things to do on the ship. On one cruise we didn't even get off the ship at one of the ports(Jamaica). With a 3 yr old, most of your excursions are going to be limited to either beach visits or tours around the islands on buses(too boring for young kids). Coral World at St Thomas sounds like something that young children would enjoy. We haven't been there, but have read good reports about it. I believe the Wonder does cruises from the West coast. We've been on it twice and really enjoyed it. Keep in mind, the Wonder doesn't have mini-golf, the mid-ship detective agency game, or the Aquaduck. There's a height requirement for the Aquaduck, so you'd have to check to see if your kids would be able to go on it. Both ships have other slides and a splash area that your kids will be able to do. I'd go on the Fantasy so you could do the golf and detective game, both are a lot of fun for the whole family. I did love the Frozen show on the Wonder though. If I were you, I'd go on the 7 night Fantasy and then since you live on the West coast, go on the Wonder to Alaska(because it's beautiful) in 5 yrs when you kids are a little older.

Keep in mind when you are talking about the Magic of Disney that port excursions are almost exclusively NOT operated by Disney. Most of them are independently operated and offered to all the ships. In many cases, they may even intermix you (on our last trip to Nassau we had people from NCL on the same tour with us). Disney facilitates port excursions (as all the cruise lines do), but doesn't really run them.

I am somewhat confused by the lack of choices though. I am guessing that you are looking at a 7 day eastern in April - so St Thomas and Tortola?

Depending on what kind of experiences you are looking for, there are almost always good options for children off the ship. If you just want beach play, there are some great ones. For St Thomas, Abi and Megans bay are nice. For something a little different they can meet a dolphin or see the corals in a submarine.

DCL is just getting it's sea legs in Tortola, so I expect more excursions to open up - but maybe not by then. However, there are plenty of good ones that you can book independently. Just make sure you are back to the ship on time!

If you are looking for things to do on a budget, I can't help you with little kids. We like to just stroll around the area - but that's difficult with little ones.

On Castaway Cay, there is PLENTY to do for kids of all ages!

Eastern Caribbean is mostly beach excursions. There are some more active options but not suited for a 3-6 year old. Something like the nature hike on St. John involves a mile hike on paths you simply cannot carry a kid, for instance. The average 3 year old shouldn't be open water snorkeling. The Baths (Tortola) is another place where being a shorty is an issue and being carried simply isn't an option.

For you, I would book a beach day on Tortola, Coral World on St. Thomas, and no excursions at all on CC. Be sure to hit open time at the Dino Dig on CC, though, for near private pix with esplorer Mickey.

Bring folding sand toys. They are cheap on Amazon. You will not be sorry to own them.

We took a cruise with year with our 4 year old and 1.5 year old and found plenty to do. We love the beach and did a private beach/snorkeling tour on St. Thomas. Disney will not tell you what kinds of things you should do on the islands, it up to you to research. Personally, I like TripAdvisor and CruiseCritic to see what's popular and highly rated.

Many people cruise Disney for the ship. For me though, it's kind of waste to go to amazing locations and not bother getting off the boat anywhere. Yes, the boat is fun and magical and great for little kids. But as you pointed out, there are islands with gorgeous white sand and beautiful warm turquoise water. We take our kids to walk around towns and cities, go to the beach, go on snorkeling trips (yes we managed just fine even with little kids). You do not have to take Disney excursions. And in many cases, you'd be better served by NOT taking the ones offered by Disney. Just make sure to pick reputable companies that will get you back on time. Or explore on your own and be mindful of the clock.

First I wouldn't change your plan. There are plenty of activities on board and it's a bonus that the kids will be in the club together. I wouldn't book excursions with DCL. As mentioned check Cruise Critic. They're an excellent source of information on the various excursions. Personally, I would never stay onboard. Beaches are always an option for the Eastern itinerary. Grab a taxi and go. You'll always find taxis available to bring you back. You can spend as much or as little time as you want. In St. Thomas your kids may enjoy Coral World. Coki Beach is near by if you want to swim a bit.

When looking at the cruise as a vacation, are you looking at port excursions as the primary reason for the vacation. While that is part of the reason many cruise, it usually is only part unless you are doing special cruises like the Med, Alaska or Europe.

Cruising is more like an all inclusive vacation and on DCL that includes the kids clubs that you mentioned. For us it is fun to get away and DS could care less about what we are doing off the ship most days. Port time/excursions become a break from the clubs. At age 4 he practically lived in the clubs on the 14 day EBPC. Having done the E. Caribbean for the second time this May it is still a nice itinerary. Many folks see the ship as the destination and the ports are just a bonus.

I had really good luck using Pinterest to find kid-friendly port activities for our Caribbean cruises. West coast trips are also much easier for us, and we usually just do beach days on cruises, but we discovered that we really all enjoy the beach days in the Caribbean more than in the Pacific. Enough so that it's worth the extra travel.

Since it sounds like you are still looking at cruises and haven't booked, I would just point out that I have been researching the same thing and I found the 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary out of Port Canaveral had MANY more port excursion options than the Eastern. There were trips to the ruins, xcaret (which we did and is really fun with kids that age), and various local history themed activities (painting, chocolate, pinata, mayan village) in Cozumel; plantation tours and the waterfall (some waterfall trips are age restricted, others are not) in Jamaica; and a submarine ride in Grand Cayman. There are also beach trips and dolphin encounters (though I know the latter is controversial) in all three locations that allow 3 year olds.

Last edited:
You will never need to leave the ship even on a 7 night cruise. On our upcoming 14 night cruise I have 1 planned excursion, the day in Castaway Cay, and we'll get off and adventure a bit on our own in one more port. Neither my children or I are interested in getting off more than that. There is ALWAYS something to do on the ship.

I wouldn't rely on DCL's website for activities if this is really the cruise you're interested in. Do some research on the ports and you'll find plenty of activities for people of all age groups. We cruised Eastern with our DD at 5,6 and 7 (and beyond), and had no problems finding things to do. However - we didn't do any Disney excursions until she was older. Most of the time, we hopped in a taxi and went to a beach. St. Thomas has a butterfly farm (if it's still open) and Coral World that my DD loved at that age, as well as plenty of shopping near the port. We've never been to Tortola, but have done Phillipsburg, Marigot and Orient Beach on St Martin with our daughter at various ages, and always had a great trip.

You will never need to leave the ship even on a 7 night cruise. On our upcoming 14 night cruise I have 1 planned excursion, the day in Castaway Cay, and we'll get off and adventure a bit on our own in one more port. Neither my children or I are interested in getting off more than that. There is ALWAYS something to do on the ship.

I feel like this is so subjective based on personal traveling styles. My family wouldn't be happy staying on the ship the whole time, for us, cruising is just as much about the destinations as it is about the ship, even when our kids were littles.

Last edited:
Hi, all:

Castaway Cay is a very nice private island that you can't visit on the West Coast.

Done 2 Eastern Caribbean sailings and never had a shortage of excursions or things to see. St. Thomas we one time did Magens Bay (when little one was 3 and oldest was 20) for a beach day and another time we went to "jewelery row" - forget the street name but the communal taxi/truck there and back was an adventure in itself (there is a flea type market where you get the taxi back to the ship) and then did the skyride up the hill having great views of the boat and bay. Five traveling (with kids spread over 18 years in age difference) we have also have booked a car (well van) not through Disney for the day and been given private tours seeing what we thought important and taking queue from the driver which made the day go by too quick.

One big caution in planning an excursion outside of Disney - make sure to plan enough time with a BIG buffer to get back to the ship well before the all-aboard time. Come to think about it, that is something do enjoy at each port...watching those race back to the boat trying to get back later than they should.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter