Extra Person Fee or Buy Magic Band

tyree42

Earning My Ears
So We booked a WDW Hotel and there are 3 adults with an infant in the room. When I booked I only had 2 adults and the infant. My question is does WDW charge extra for adding a person or do I just purchase a magic band for the extra person to save the money. I have not purchased the tickets for the park yet. The room is a standard room with 2 queen beds.

Disney does charge per person. If that person is not added he/she won't be able to open the hotel door. Also you will not be able to do for+ reservations for that person 60 days in advance.

Last edited:
If you're using the magical express and you don't add the guest they probably will not be able to ride the bus.

If you're not using DME then this wouldn't matter to you. However...the right thing to do would be to add them as a guest and pay the upcharge as those are the rules.

No FP+ at 60 days for them, No Extra Magic Hours for them, No room key, No charging to room and no ME if needed ....... it's not worth trying to sneak them in.

excellent, that's what I thought, I appreciate your help. I am sure using this site I can save other places!

Have a great trip! There's so much to learn planning a WDW vacstion. If this is your first, I recommend getting a guide book. WDW The Unofficial Guide is a great one.

thanks, and my love for disney is just about gone

I'm not sure why. Charging for extra adults is the standard for the hotel industry. It is not a Disney thing. You won't have to pay extra for your 13 year old, but if you have more than 2 people over the age of 18 in a room, then there is an extra charge.

Many resorts would charge you for your 13 year old. I was up in Mackinaw last summer, and I did have to pay extra for having my 13 year old niece along. And it was a room with 2 beds and a fold out.

not really, when we travel we've never had to pay for her as an extra adult (she's actually 19), we're a family traveling and they know that, she's been on their books for 15 years. it's not like she could reserve a room herself at that age most places anyway. I certainly understand if you're a group of adults just trying to save on two rooms, but a family?

not really, when we travel we've never had to pay for her as an extra adult (she's actually 19), we're a family traveling and they know that, she's been on their books for 15 years. it's not like she could reserve a room herself at that age most places anyway. I certainly understand if you're a group of adults just trying to save on two rooms, but a family?

She could reserve a room at most places. Age 18 and up is the norm. It doesn't mater if you are related or not, over 2 adults in a room and you pay the extra fee. It is in part because Disney knows at age 18 they could be reserving their own room.

I think the major problem with giving a discount only to family would be, then proving people are or are not related. And where would the line be drawn? Kids are free, but an Aunt or Grandma isn't? Do you now have to bring birth certificates along to prove who is related to whom? There is no good way to do that.

I'm not sure what difference it makes if you're a family or not. Some hotels charge for extra people in the room, some don't. Disney does and always has. There are some exceptions- Fort Wilderness Cabins and the DVC resorts. The extra charge isn't a great deal- not absolutely sure, but I think it ranges from $10-$20 per day depending on which resort.

As someone who worked in the hotel industry, I can assure you that anyone 18 or over can book a hotel room on their own, and most hotels will charge the extra person fee for anyone over 18 beyond two adults. Since she's only been 18 or over for two years now, you may not have had experienced this in the past because she was underage.

FWIW - the extra person fee is something like $25 per night. In the grand scheme of the cost of a Disney vacation, that's peanuts.

It really comes down to the principle of why Disneyland and Disney World were created. Additionally, for me it's just one more thing, I don't want to have to plan a vacation a year in advance, schedule what time I'm going to ride a ride or eat a meal, that's what the rest of the year is about. Vacation is a time to relax and enjoy time with those you treasure.

"What this country really needs is an amusement park that families can take their children to. "

It really comes down to the principle of why Disneyland and Disney World were created. Additionally, for me it's just one more thing, I don't want to have to plan a vacation a year in advance, schedule what time I'm going to ride a ride or eat a meal, that's what the rest of the year is about. Vacation is a time to relax and enjoy time with those you treasure.

"What this country really needs is an amusement park that families can take their children to. "

No one going to WDW HAS to do these things. We choose to, to make the most of our vacations. So that's on you.

If this is in regard to the extra person fee, WDW is a for profit business. They incur the same costs as any other hotel chain. So why wouldn't they recoup that the same way every other hotel does?

A hotel is not an amusement park. Walt was referring to his young children.

Your child is an adult and is still getting a deal when she shared a room with you.

It is as simple as that
ETA: I travel on cruises and because we require 2 rooms, 2 of my children have always been charged the adult rates. On "family friendly cruises." It is the norm and not worth getting upset about as though an egregious offense has been committed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter