• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Extra person fee at Swan resort?

Bit late on this thread but I wanted to add some valuable info. Staying at the Swan in August 2019, 2 adults 2 kids. The Marriott site does want to charge me the extra child fee of $25 per child per night. (Keep in mind the rate is only $125 so this represents a 20% premium per child!) Instead of paying this, I booked just the 2 adults with queen beds.

The next gotcha was when I linked it to the MDE it only syncs with 2 guests. This will become a problem once I get into the 60 day Fast Pass+ window. I called Marriott customer service and they said since the merger they have had this problem with some of their hotels and children on a reservation. She claimed Marriott will never charge for children. To rectify this situation she needed to call the Swan because she couldn't access the Disney MDE system. After 15 minutes she came back and said give it 2 days and the additional guests will be in the MDE. Big surprise here, it didn't work and now my hotel reservation was completely de-linked from the MDE.

Called Marriott again today, same story about not supposed to be charging for children at this hotel. This time instead of calling the Swan I asked if she can just add the 2 children to the Marriott reservation, this way when I re-link my hotel stay in the MDE it will show 4 people. After another 15-20 minutes and speaking with her supervisor they couldn't waive the fee in the system. Told me a trouble ticket has been attached to my account and she called the Swan to confirm they will remove the $250 extra person charges upon checkout.

So tomorrow once the Marriott reservation is visible to the MDE I will try this again. This time with the 4 guests. However, I do have a feeling I will be dealing with the front desk at checkout to fight getting these charges removed.
Almost identical experience however, this time the Swan hotel was able to remove the extra person fee. MDE 24 hours later, de-linked the hotel reservation. I re-linked it and now all people were synced.

Yeah, the Swan is worth more than the Pop all day every day. To me switching is akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face. Now, if you had been moving to another boardwalk area resort, that would be more in keeping with the feel of the Swan. Swan and Pop are 2 totally different experiences.

I'm pretty late to this thread, but I booked a Marriott property in Boston recently and found this exact same problem of charging an extra person fee for a child. I started Googling the issue and apparently it's a well known problem in the travel community and one that Marriott keeps referring to as a "computer glitch" and has been going on since the merger of Starwood. I'm pretty convinced it's not so much a "glitch" as it is a sneaky way to try and add on extra fees. Seems like a very simple issue that could've been fixed right from the start, if they wanted to.

I just attempted to book through the Marriott website and very same issue---$100 "extra person" fee for a child. Additionally, as reported $120 resort fee for four night stay. I do wonder, if I booked through Disney, is this included in their "total" for the hotel or am I going to get there and have the extra $220 in fees?

I would like the Marriott points, but they are certainly not worth the $220 in fees.

Disney doesn't charge for a child (under 18) for room reservation. They will charge for extra components, if booking a package (dining and tickets). Resort fees are included, when you book at Disney, they will give you a final price with taxes included.

I just attempted to book through the Marriott website and very same issue---$100 "extra person" fee for a child. Additionally, as reported $120 resort fee for four night stay. I do wonder, if I booked through Disney, is this included in their "total" for the hotel or am I going to get there and have the extra $220 in fees?

I would like the Marriott points, but they are certainly not worth the $220 in fees.
It's a bug in the computer system. Contact the hotel directly and they will remove the fee for the third person [child] .

In my experience, I booked originally with two people (to avoid the fee), but realized the fastpasses won't work with only two people on the reservation. I called the hotel and they updated the reservation to 3 people and removed the extra person fee. Two days before check in, I mobile checked in using the Marriott app. It reverted back to 2 people, thus breaking the connection to the My Disney experience/magic bands. I emailed their concierge and they corrected the reservation again (to three people) and everything was synced up again after two hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter