• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Extended verandas at the aft, worth it?

I am booked in 7690 in Feb 17 and super excited! It will be our first cruise and I was unsure about location but as it gets closer I'm so glad I chose it! Our TA offered us a 10158 but I had read about the noise from cabanas so asked to be moved down although that verandah looked awesome!

We were about to book them ourselves for our cruise in 2018. It is good to hear all of the great thoughts.

We've sailed on the Dream twice and both times, we have stayed in Category 5e (deck 9 and deck 10) and loved it both times. Having the larger veranda was great, its big enough for two chaise lounge chairs, a small tables, and two chairs. They are more like the ones on the pool deck and not like the ones on deck four (favorite place on the ship), but its great to take a nap on. It was quiet for the most part, when the ship was coming into port you would hear/feel the engines more, but otherwise fine. Would recommend.

Great to hear these reviews! I saw there were aft verandahs available when I went to book our 2018 cruise, so I went for it on a whim! I usually stay midship, but always spent so much time at the back of the ship staring at the gorgeous view, I figured I might as well have a private view!

Great to hear these reviews! I saw there were aft verandahs available when I went to book our 2018 cruise, so I went for it on a whim! I usually stay midship, but always spent so much time at the back of the ship staring at the gorgeous view, I figured I might as well have a private view!

Our last cruise we were in an aft room with oversized verandah on the Dream, and loved it! Just booked our 2018 cruise on the Fantasy, and was able to get the exact same stateroom as we had on our last cruise. I booked the day that booking was opened to the general public, and by that time the gold/Platinum members had booked most of the aft staterooms for our date. they did have several on deck 10, but i found out those room we just under the aft deck area, and was worried about possible noise issues from above. so, we pushed out date back a week, and was able to get a stateroom on deck 9.

We did not have any issues with motion in the back of the ship. in fact, we barely knew the boat was moving most of the time.

I definitely recommend Aft Cabins.........on second thought...no....no I don't :earboy2:

Yes, I read that deck 10 aft is under cabanas and you get some noise from the chairs being moved around.

Our last cruise we were in an aft room with oversized verandah on the Dream, and loved it! Just booked our 2018 cruise on the Fantasy, and was able to get the exact same stateroom as we had on our last cruise. I booked the day that booking was opened to the general public, and by that time the gold/Platinum members had booked most of the aft staterooms for our date. they did have several on deck 10, but i found out those room we just under the aft deck area, and was worried about possible noise issues from above. so, we pushed out date back a week, and was able to get a stateroom on deck 9.

We did not have any issues with motion in the back of the ship. in fact, we barely knew the boat was moving most of the time.

I definitely recommend Aft Cabins.........on second thought...no....no I don't :earboy2:

That's great to hear about ship movement, my sister is traveling with me, and she's concerned about that, she gets seasick very easily. She always swore she'd never go on another cruise unless it was Disney!

Ooohhh! We have one of those on our cruise in June - what cabin were you? We're 10658! Been hoping someone can tell me if it's a good one for fireworks...

We stayed in 10658 in Sept 2015. Would have booked it for our upcoming cruise if we weren't going for a connecting cabin with friends. We loved the shape of the room....felt so much bigger! The balcony was awesome and we had no soot or noise issues. We did notice vibration when docking in port but it was minimal and our 2 year old got us up early anyways! My husband is prone to seasickness and didn't experience any.

We had 10166 on Fantasy. Did not like it and would not book it again. The extended veranda was something we were really looking forward to. However it was hot, no breeze even when the ship was moving. The soot was awful. At 4am each morning we heard chairs being moved around at cabanas which was directly above. We loved the location though.

We have 8188 booked on the Dream next week...I'll try to remember to report back. I'm really looking forward to this room and THAT BALCONY!!

Look forward to your review AndreAggie! Most importantly though, ENJOY YOUR CRUISE! :boat:

I don't know how, but last summer we got 6192 (flag room) for our cruise on the Dream. It was amazing! I thought the flag might be bothersome, but it really wasn't. The only time the large flag was up was at Nassau, at Castaway Cay it was a small flag. It was a little breezy, so we just stood on the other side of the flag and still had an amazing view. And we had a visitor on the pole if you look closely you'll see him lol!
IMG_0978_zpsgmytg61g.jpg

My DH and I spent a lot of time out there. He really loved seeing them dock - he would be out there early every morning to watch. We even skipped the evening shows so we could watch the sunset from our verandah every night.

IMG_0946_zpsime2zivr.jpg

We even napped out there many times! It was amazing and I am disappointed that our next cruise we didn't get an aft balcony, but we're cruising with a different line and they don't have aft verandahs.
I will say, my daughter got very seasick the first night. I partially think it was mental, but it was a very rocky first evening, even the servers in the MDR were having issues keeping upright. My DH and I went to get her ice water and we felt drunk coming back, but it was like that on the entire ship not just aft (we walked forward just to be sure).
It was also nice that we never saw (or heard) people running around in the hallways. Seriously, we never saw the people in the rooms next to us in the hallway. I thought they were unoccupied until one night when we were enjoying the sunset the people in the room next to us were also and we were all leaning against the rails.
Personally though, I would never get an aft balcony on deck 10. I would imagine it would be incredibly noisy because of Cabanas. Any other deck, though, we will always try to get an aft verandah. Just looking at these pictures is completely calming me!

64EC0537-D2F1-4DA0-812A-64A4E7F4745A_zps2ixpmsjw.jpg

Here I was in the back of the verandah up against the wall. I'm disappointed I didn't get more photos of the size of the verandah, but that'll give us a reason to go on another Disney Cruise (wish me luck trying to convince my DH of that!) I really liked that the verandah was very shaded, I like staying out of the sun and this was the perfect way to do that.

We stayed in 10658 in Sept 2015. Would have booked it for our upcoming cruise if we weren't going for a connecting cabin with friends. We loved the shape of the room....felt so much bigger! The balcony was awesome and we had no soot or noise issues. We did notice vibration when docking in port but it was minimal and our 2 year old got us up early anyways! My husband is prone to seasickness and didn't experience any.

Thank you so much! We just told our daughter about the "surprise" and she is so excited - I think I'm still even more excited than her though... I'm so glad to hear we picked a "good one"!

We have 8188 booked on the Dream next week...I'll try to remember to report back. I'm really looking forward to this room and THAT BALCONY!!

I keep watching to see in case that one opens up - but it would make for a difficult choice if it were.

We're back! We had room 8188.

Pros: QUIET! There is literally no traffic because the room is in the center of the back of the hallway. Those on your left use the left hallway, the ones on the right use the right hallway.
The balcony is amazing! It's huge.
I didn't notice any soot problems.
You can see folks above and below, but for the most part, it's very private.
Suta, our room steward was absolutely awesome. Very personable, friendly and took care of everything in our room.
TONS of storage! Closets, drawers, trunk, under bed...plenty of space!

Cons: VIBRATION!!! We had to back into Castaway Cay with full engine power, thrusters, the works due to the wind and currents! The entire room was shaking! I think this was due to the power it took to dock that day (we had to attempt twice).
If you're sleeping in the bed, your body rocks head to toe which is really weird. On the couch or bunk, you rock side to side.
Forward ship is FAR away. :)

We got this room the day it was released and it wasn't much more than an inside or oceanview. If we could get a similar deal, we'd book again.

Last edited:
We got this room the day it was released and it wasn't much more than an inside or oceanview. If we could get a similar deal, we'd book again.

Agreed, We do the same thing. At least for us, it doesn't make sense to book anything else. We've never had any soot issues either. We like that it's quiet too. It is far from the front of the ship, but honestly, we could use the walk. Lots of good food we need to walk off. :thumbsup2

I don't know how, but last summer we got 6192 (flag room) for our cruise on the Dream. It was amazing! I thought the flag might be bothersome, but it really wasn't. The only time the large flag was up was at Nassau, at Castaway Cay it was a small flag. It was a little breezy, so we just stood on the other side of the flag and still had an amazing view.

We booked this room for our cruise in October and are so excited! I was shocked it was still available when we booked! We don't plan to get off the ship in Nassau, so the larger flag then may be a little annoying when we are just sitting on the balcony, but I'm sure it will be worth it. I'm glad to hear you didn't notice any extra movement aside from the rest of the ship. Our last cruise (on RC) we were in the middle of the ship so that was a slight concern of ours. Were the lounger chairs out there when your boarded or did you have to ask?

Last edited:
My friend and I stayed in the 10162 in Sept 2014, we loved the extended verandah room. We didn't hear any noise from up above. My only complaint is that you are right below Cabanas and people throw food up to the birds when you are in port and some of it ends up on your verandah. Disney needs to have there Cabana workers out there letting people know not to do this. I will book an extended verandah room again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter