Express Necessary During Spring Break?

tzolkin

DIS Veteran
Considering visiting Universal during our Spring Break (week after Easter). This is our first time, so I am researching and trying to figure out all our options.

I know that's a busy time, but I have no idea how crowded it will actually be. (We go to Disney every year, but usually at off-peak times. Our busiest was mid-June, never a holiday.)

I'm just not sure I am willing to spend the Universal Resort prices for a 4 or 5 day trip. We just went to Disney and my oldest is graduating this year, so I have college tuition on my mind. But if we are not going to be able to ride anything without waiting hours and it will be miserable, I would rather pay the extra or wait and go another time.

The express passes are over $1000 for my family (if we stay offsite and just purchase tickets). The onsite resort price difference is $1500-2000 more.

Have one person in the family buy a AP pass and get the onsite resort discount for resort stay and discount on food and merchandise. This will allow you to stay onsite cheaper and take advantage of the Express pass for you and your family. Only the person making the reservation for the room needs the AP.

Yes you do need EP during busy times I would not do the park without it.

I wouldn't go that week without Express, it is incredibly busy ( I wont go any week without it , but that's me )

Have one person in the family buy a AP pass and get the onsite resort discount for resort stay and discount on food and merchandise. This will allow you to stay onsite cheaper and take advantage of the Express pass for you and your family. Only the person making the reservation for the room needs the AP.

Yes you do need EP during busy times I would not do the park without it.

Is there a way to find the onsite hotel discount rates before buying an AP to see if it makes sense in my specific situation?

How old are the kids in your family? Single rider line can be your best friend if it's a good option for your family. If not, then yes, I would spring for a hotel with express pass and keep checking for better rates.

For the AP discount, type "APH" as the discount code on the Universal website. Also, keep in mind that you can reserve through other places than the Universal website. Expedia and Orbitz sometimes have great deals too - but you need to keep checking. (Also, check cancellation policies if not going directly through Universal).

My son is 10. I think my problem is that we didn't decide to do this spring break trip (3/22-25 full park days) until yesterday and it's going to be crowded and more expensive than I expected (mainly due to needing EP). Plus I'm a universal newbie and don't know all the options to save money. Guess I better get to reading so I can book a hotel and tickets soon!

The week before and after Easter are second only to the week between Christmas and New Years for crowds. And hotels are actually usually more booked up then than around Christmas. So yes, express is very much recommended that week.

My son is 10. I think my problem is that we didn't decide to do this spring break trip (3/22-25 full park days) until yesterday and it's going to be crowded and more expensive than I expected (mainly due to needing EP). Plus I'm a universal newbie and don't know all the options to save money. Guess I better get to reading so I can book a hotel and tickets soon!

For a 10 year old, I wouldn't rely on single rider. It's possible there might be a couple rides that he (and you) would be comfortable with it. Kids only need to be 48" to be allowed to do single rider, so don't rule it out as an option at times. But since you both haven't done Universal before, I wouldn't count on using it for that age. I'd do express.

Also, keep in mind that Universal is great about giving you the lower rate if their rates drop. I'm not sure if that will happen due to it being the busy season. But we've booked ASAP many times, only to call and ask for a promotion/discount to be applied after. It's never been an issue to change it. (That's going directly through Universal. With an indirect reservation, it would have to be cancelled and rebooked likely. Universal has said "cannot be applied to existing reservation" on special sales many times - but it has never been an issue to get the lower rate when I called them).

Another option is to just stay one night at one of the hotels with express pass. One night gets you express pass for the day you arrive and the next day. With multiple park days, using express for two days will help you out quite a bit. Also price "staying" one night vs adding on two days of express pass. Staying is in quotes because you can pay for a one night's stay but not actually sleep there - doing it just to get express pass.

Another option is to just stay one night at one of the hotels with express pass. One night gets you express pass for the day you arrive and the next day. With multiple park days, using express for two days will help you out quite a bit. Also price "staying" one night vs adding on two days of express pass. Staying is in quotes because you can pay for a one night's stay but not actually sleep there - doing it just to get express pass.

This might be the best option yet financially, but do you have any tips on how to handle the luggage and moving back and forth? How does this scenario look to the more knowledgeable folks?

For this example, let's say the other hotel will be the Holiday Inn, which is $110 per night.
Monday 3/21: arrive at 10 pm. Check into Holiday Inn (no tickets needed)

Tuesday 3/22: Check into RPR 7AM; (get EPU for today & tomorrow)
Wednesday 3/23: Check out of RPR 7AM; (EPU available for use)
Thursday 3/24: Holiday Inn that night (no ECU for this day unless if we buy them separately $130 ea x 3 = $390). One night at RPR is $477.

Friday 3/25: flight home at 6 am (no tickets needed)

Should we just skip the park the 3rd day vs. going without an EP?

Last edited:
This might be the best option yet financially, but do you have any tips on how to handle the luggage and moving back and forth? How does this scenario look to the more knowledgeable folks?

For this example, let's say the other hotel will be the Holiday Inn, which is $110 per night.
Monday 3/21: arrive at 10 pm. Check into Holiday Inn (no tickets needed)

Tuesday 3/22: Check into RPR 7AM; (get EPU for today & tomorrow)
Wednesday 3/23: Check out of RPR 7AM; (EPU available for use)
Thursday 3/24: Holiday Inn that night (no ECU for this day unless if we buy them separately $130 ea x 3 = $390). One night at RPR is $477.

Friday 3/25: flight home at 6 am (no tickets needed)

Should we just skip the park the 3rd day vs. going without an EP?
I would keep the third day and use for shows, shopping and looking about. You can also reside favorites that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter