Explaining why Mickey can't talk

magsnwonderland

Mouseketeer
DS (4) has been getting really excited for our next trip this fall and asks to see pictures/videos of our last trip. His favorite is the video of his first time meeting Mickey at the Town Square Theater. When Mickey could talk. I have an explanation for the other fur characters not talking, but he knows that Mickey *could* talk. I don't want to lie and say Mickey's throat hurts because I don't want to set up the expectation that he'll talk again another time (or if we see Mickey somewhere else and he doesn't talk). Any ideas for a magical explanation?

FWIW, he does understand that some characters are just playing dress up (the villians in the shows so he isn't scared of them), but I don't want to ruin Mickey for him at 4.

I wouldn't say anything and let Mickey handle it. If it looks concerning when you are with Mickey, you could wonder aloud...I'm sure the characters know how to handle it. I wouldn't set yourself up to know all of the answers.

DS (4) has been getting really excited for our next trip this fall and asks to see pictures/videos of our last trip. His favorite is the video of his first time meeting Mickey at the Town Square Theater. When Mickey could talk. I have an explanation for the other fur characters not talking, but he knows that Mickey *could* talk. I don't want to lie and say Mickey's throat hurts because I don't want to set up the expectation that he'll talk again another time (or if we see Mickey somewhere else and he doesn't talk). Any ideas for a magical explanation?

FWIW, he does understand that some characters are just playing dress up (the villians in the shows so he isn't scared of them), but I don't want to ruin Mickey for him at 4.

When my kids were younger, we always just told them that Mickey had to save his voice for the stage show. If he talked to EVERY kid that said hello, Mickey wouldn't be able to do his show on stage.

As i was reading the other day i found this, im sorry that i cant tell you who wrote it, but i had saved this in my note if it came up.
  • Mickey lost his voice while singing on stage. His doctor asked him to be quiet for a while.
  • Mickey is saving his voice for a future performance.
  • Mickey doesn’t have time to talk with everyone and he doesn’t want people to feel bad by only speaking with some.
  • Mickey doesn’t speak every language and he doesn’t want people to feel bad by only speaking to some.
  • Mickey and Minnie are having a contest to see who can go the longest without speaking.
  • Mickey thinks he can communicate better without speaking.

And you might get surprised—my kids never asked why the “fur” characters didn’t talk but the “face” ones did. Kid logic :P
Yep this. I have 4 kids and none of them asked why the fur characters didn’t talk. I think they were so caught up in the excitement of meeting them that it never even occurred to them.

Thanks for the replies and ideas. I'm only concerned because DS knows he talked to Mickey last time and is always watching the video of it and talking about what Mickey is saying. Maybe it won't come up in the moment, but it'll be nice to have an explanation ready if it does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter