Explaining Genie+ and Lighting Lanes to my party?

jagruti6

Mouseketeer
Since we booked our vacation two weeks ago I have been trying to wrap by head around all things Genie+ and lighting lanes. Now I want to bring the rest of my group up to speed. I will handle most of LL booking and strategizing, but I know there will be times when my Teenagers will want to spilt off and do their own thing, so I want them to understand the basics at least. I have some visual thinkers in the party so I am trying to simplify the information for just the basics and make it visual so they understand what line they will end up in and how that line works. I would love some eyeballs on this. Please tell me if you think I have missed something major or should include something that I haven't. Or if I have gotten something completely wrong! I haven't actually used the system yet and all feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Colorful Circular Concept Map Infographic (2).png

2.png3.png

This is great, but a lot of information. A few thoughts: 1) For the Genie + description, it wasn’t clear to me from reading that this is a once a day thing you buy. The word “pass” threw me off. May be talk about it as a service? And add something about the purchase. 2) I might delete the individual parks‘ lists of attractions. You ID the ILLs and VQ rides at the top, and they can look at the app. 3) In the Booking Eligibility section, I might start by saying the app will always tell you when you can book next. the booking rules seem to confuse, so I’d give them that assurance before they read the rules.

"5 min before booking" and "15 min after booking" sounds like you are referring to booking LL not using them. I know what you mean, but for newbies this might be confusing. Maybe try "5 min before admission time" and "15 minutes after admission time"

I agree with above that booking eligibility is too complex to explain cleanly. Looking at the app is probably the best way, but you still need to explain that after tapping, to check again.

In addition to the information you have pulled together, I suggest sending a youtube video explaining Genie+ to your group. There are some good ones out there with screen recordings of the app which were helpful for me before my first trip.

Since we booked our vacation two weeks ago I have been trying to wrap by head around all things Genie+ and lighting lanes. Now I want to bring the rest of my group up to speed. I will handle most of LL booking and strategizing, but I know there will be times when my Teenagers will want to spilt off and do their own thing, so I want them to understand the basics at least. I have some visual thinkers in the party so I am trying to simplify the information for just the basics and make it visual so they understand what line they will end up in and how that line works. I would love some eyeballs on this. Please tell me if you think I have missed something major or should include something that I haven't. Or if I have gotten something completely wrong! I haven't actually used the system yet and all feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

View attachment 753987

View attachment 753984View attachment 753985
- You misspell Lightning as Lighting in a few places.
- You say when you can make your first Genie+ booking, but not when you can make your ILL bookings.
- For booking eligibility, there are a couple of other times you normally become eligible: when cancelling your most-recently-booked Genie+ reservation and when its return time expires. There is also at least one other instance, namely when your most-recently-booked attraction is "down" during your return time and you are issued a Multiple Experience Pass (a/k/a Anytime Pass). You should also indicate this paragraph is for booking Genie+, not ILLs.
- Your next booking eligibility time for a Genie+ reservation will not always remain the same as the original booking after you modify it. The time that the Tip Board will show you are next eligible will be the earlier of the expiration time or the 2-hour time for your most recent booking. The 2-hour time will not change if you make a modification, but the expiration time can and likely will change. See post 9 on page 1 of the Everything Genie thread. This can make a difference in the time shown. And tapping into the most-recently-booked attraction before the time shown will change the time to Now.

This is great, but a lot of information. A few thoughts: 1) For the Genie + description, it wasn’t clear to me from reading that this is a once a day thing you buy. The word “pass” threw me off. May be talk about it as a service? And add something about the purchase. 2) I might delete the individual parks‘ lists of attractions. You ID the ILLs and VQ rides at the top, and they can look at the app. 3) In the Booking Eligibility section, I might start by saying the app will always tell you when you can book next. the booking rules seem to confuse, so I’d give them that assurance before they read the rules.
Thanks those are great suggestions I will make those updates. I agree they really don't need the list it will be over whelming.

- You misspell Lightning as Lighting in a few places.
- You say when you can make your first Genie+ booking, but not when you can make your ILL bookings.
- For booking eligibility, there are a couple of other times you normally become eligible: when cancelling your most-recently-booked Genie+ reservation and when its return time expires. There is also at least one other instance, namely when your most-recently-booked attraction is "down" during your return time and you are issued a Multiple Experience Pass (a/k/a Anytime Pass). You should also indicate this paragraph is for booking Genie+, not ILLs.
- Your next booking eligibility time for a Genie+ reservation will not always remain the same as the original booking after you modify it. The time that the Tip Board will show you are next eligible will be the earlier of the expiration time or the 2-hour time for your most recent booking. The 2-hour time will not change if you make a modification, but the expiration time can and likely will change. See post 9 on page 1 of the Everything Genie thread. This can make a difference in the time shown. And tapping into the most-recently-booked attraction before the time shown will change the time to Now.
Thank you for the clarification and edits. I hadn't even thought about explaining expiration times in relation to modificatios! All of that makes sense.

Think your chart would be very helpful to someone new to Disney. I would also let them know that Disney has unfortunately used the same term "Lightning Lane" as both a place to stand in line as well as the invidividual paid ride options. Personally, I think they should have chosen different terms to avoid confusion. Someone new to Disney may not understand the difference.

I think it's awesome how you are trying to make the system easier for your traveling party to understand! :)

I love your charts and saved them to my phone for my own reference - hope you don’t mind! I need to figure this stuff out for myself!!

For those not willing to put much time into it, maybe just answer these questions;
1) How much does it cost
2) Do I really need it
3) What do I have to do

For my family personally, I will probably get VQs and G+ at MK ONLY. I think if you highlight on your G+ attraction lists what you will really want G+ for that would go a long way to helping your group decide. i.e., you WILL want it for SDD, you will not want it for MV3D, etc. Drop times for all VQ and ILL and what you will need to go to get those is also going to be valuable.

I love your charts and saved them to my phone for my own reference - hope you don’t mind! I need to figure this stuff out for myself!!
I am so glad someone else might get some use out of them. That's makes me happy! I have updated them with everyone's suggestions and attached a copy.

Attachments

• Disney Line Options.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
For those not willing to put much time into it, maybe just answer these questions;
1) How much does it cost
2) Do I really need it
3) What do I have to do

For my family personally, I will probably get VQs and G+ at MK ONLY. I think if you highlight on your G+ attraction lists what you will really want G+ for that would go a long way to helping your group decide. i.e., you WILL want it for SDD, you will not want it for MV3D, etc. Drop times for all VQ and ILL and what you will need to go to get those is also going to be valuable.
Thank you so much for you suggestions! I think we have pretty much decided we'll be adding it if we have the option. I have a party member that is a systematic thinker and will understand the lightning lane system if he can see an overview of how it all works together visually, but would be lost otherwise.

The goal for us is to maximize our resort time in the middle of the day. We'll try and take advantage of Early entry do as much as we can and the leave before noon for an extended break until like 3:30 p.m when the sun getting less bright. Then we'll either return to the same park or hop. So want to be able to continue to collect and stack return times while we take that break.

The teens honestly might not care. The teens we travel with rarely use Genie+ and also didn't use FastPasses either. Just waited in line. They weren't in a rush and didn't really care about ride quantity. Just hanging out was good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter