Explain this to me like I’m a 5 year old, please

Wayland10

DIS Veteran
I have never been on a cruise, and no one in my extended family has ever been on a Disney cruise, but the Treasure looks amazing and I want to go. Can someone please point me towards resources that can explain in obnoxious detail how cruises and the process of booking one works? I love travel planning, but I’m completely lost here!
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and help out this forlorn newbie.

If you book your own WDW/DL visits, then booking a cruise is much simpler. All you need to do is identify which cruise you wan to take (ship & departure date) and what kind of room you want (interior, ocean view, balcony, concierge). Then you can either book it yourself at DCL's web site or have a TA (like Dreamsunlimitedtravel.com the sponsor of these boards) book it for you.

I would talk to a travel agent. They get paid from Disney and the price to you is the same. They are knowable about rooms and can answer your questions. Some of them also give you an on board credit that is money that can be used on the ship. there are many of them including one of the sponsors of this board. You can google Disney travel agents and find someone,

The big questions are:
  • date
  • departure port
  • ship
  • itinerary
  • length of cruise
Depending on which of those 5 items is most important to you, the others almost fall into line. For example: if you want to cruise on the Treasure during spring break, that will give you a few dates and choice of 2 Caribbean itineraries. Or if you want to go to Alaska that will limit your ship and departure port as well as time of year, with a few options of length of cruise.

I guess budget is always good to have planned as well. But start looking at what you want, and if that doesn't fit your budget either decide to wait and save more, or choose a shorter cruise/different itinerary/different time of year.

A travel agent who specializes in Disney Cruise Line can be helpful in explaining some of the differences if you just can't figure out where to begin. Bonus that you'll gain some onboard credit (depending on the agency).

Oops, I intended to mention stateroom category -- it's a bedroom, unless you plan to spend a lot of time hanging out in the stateroom, interior vs oceanview vs verandah may not matter much. Fares will vary greatly depending on stateroom. So if you find the cruise that meets all other criteria above, but the price is hard to swallow, try adjusting to an inside stateroom for a lower fare. You will not be "stearage" or in any way considered a second class guest by booking a lower priced stateroom.

Booking/planning a cruise is 5-year old easy compared to planning a trip to WDW or DL.

First - select cruise - decide on dates, length, itinerary. This depends on your interests and budget.

Consider what room - inside cabin (cheapest), ocean view, verandah, concierge (most expensive). Other categories within those but you get the picture. Also forward, midship or aft if you care. Different people have different ideas on what is best. Consider how much time you will spend in room.

Select dining time. Early is EARLY - like 5:30/6:00 or so. Late is LATE - like 8:00/8:30. There are 3 main dining rooms, you are assigned a rotation. Your serving crew moves with you. Dining is somewhat formal service by courses and may take 90 minutes or more. Very relaxing. All main dining is included in cruise price except for alcohol. There are also speciality restaurants for a (significant) extra fee - must reserve. For a first cruise, I wouldn't. There are also "fast food" options and room service (no extra cost except tip).

The main shows are opposite the dining times so early diners go to later show, late diners go to early show. No charge, no tickets or reservations, just go. Shows are usually very good. Also, complimentary movies are shown in theater.

For each port you can (1) stay on ship, (2) do a Disney approved excursion (for a fee) or (3) do a private excursion or walk-about on your own. Just be sure the get back to the ship on time.

Most all activities on cruise are included in cruise cost except for drink tastings (have to reserve), Bingo, or Spa. Workout room is complimentary. We often spend -0- extra dollars.

There is a daily per person tip for your room steward, servers, etc. that is added to your account at the end. You can adjust it if you have a great steward or servers. Or give them cash. It is bad form to decrease the tip unless you have truly bad service that has not been rectified. I don't know what amount currently is. It is significant but not outrageous. Budget for it.

There is a daily per person tip for your room steward, servers, etc. that is added to your account at the end. You can adjust it if you have a great steward or servers. Or give them cash. It is bad form to decrease the tip unless you have truly bad service that has not been rectified. I don't know what amount currently is. It is significant but not outrageous. Budget for it.

You can also add this on at booking if you want to get it out of the way.

Welcome! I just want to thank you for posting this. No one in my family has ever been on a cruise before, either, but we just booked a sailing on the Treasure for August 2025. Honestly, I booked for the dates and itinerary--I would have been happy with the Fantasy, from which the Treasure is taking over her routes. But we are also looking forward to what we've seen in reveals of the Treasure so far.

@Travel60 gave a great overview.

Tips are currently $14.50/guest/night. They cover your stateroom host, server, assistant server, and head server. Not included drinks (anything from a bar and the fancy coffee shop) and spa have an 18% auto gratuity added to those bills

The Treasure will be doing 7 night eastern and western Caribbean. Take a look at the ports and decide which you'd prefer. You can see pricing (and tons of DCL details) online into September 2025. School holidays cost the most with Christmas/NYE, Easter,and June/July being the priciest. If you can sail in May or August prices tend to be cheaper, and non school holidays being the cheapest.

Our first cruise was the 7nt Disney Wonder to Alaska as we usually sail for the ports first. We sail in Oceanview rooms on the Magic/Wonder to save $, and my family agrees that we can't do an inside room, we need to be able to see outside. Some people are fine with no windows, though!

We use Dreams Unlimited as our travel agency, and we get $ (OBC) from them to spend on the ship. I still book my own port adventures/activities --any changes to the room/payments go thru the agency.

If you enjoy your cruise, be sure to spend $250 for a placeholder booking during your cruise. It gives you 10% off a future cruise within 24 mths. If you don't sail by then, you get your $250 deposit back. Placeholder bookings need to be done via a phone call with DCL... which is another reason I love my travel agent--she does that for me.

Enjoy your cruise!

like_im_five.png

I know, I'm not being helpful, but I just can't resist!

You'd better smarten up FAST! DCL is quite good at separating you from your money.

The bill to get OFF the ship could even be higher than what you paid to get ON the ship.

-Paul

Planning steps:
1. Book cruise/pay 20% deposit in 3 days
2. Get the free Disney Cruise Line Navigator app. There are some minor capabilities before cruising, but once on the ship, you'll be able to see all the activities for the whole cruise, all the menus, etc. Use of the app on the ship is free, phone in ✈️ mode.
3. 75 days before cruise --1st time cruisers can book $ activities at midnight--port adventures, spa, drink tastings, adult dining, Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique for kids under 12, etc
4. 30 days before cruise -- online check-in starting at midnight. Can book the free Royal Gathering meet and greet with 3-4 princesses. (You can also meet them individually during the cruise, just get in line). Fill out online info, pics of passport/birth certificate/government ID, 'selfie' pics for security, pick PAT--port arrival time.
5. If flying, plan to arrive in Orlando (or airport local to whatever port you're departing from) at least 1 day before cruise so you don't miss the ship if there are flight issues. Port Canaveral is about an hour from Orlando.
6. Enjoy cruise!!!

On Disney, there are booking windows that open. 75 and 30 days from date of sailing; know when yours is. 12am EST. Know what you want to book, excursions, tastings, etc. There are lots of helpful posts on this topic on this forum. 30 days out is also check in day. You'll need to have certain information at hand to complete check in and select a port arrival time. No big deal if you get a later time. I find the earlier you're there, the more crowds and waiting around you'll see.

Something else, DCL specific, is that people like to participate in fish extenders and decorate their doors, but this is too completely optional.

As others mentioned, besides the cruise fare, budget for gratuities, excursions, and any other activities in port.

Booking a room. There's pros and cons to all.
Inside: costs less and many still offer a split bath. You can select a room pretty much anywhere on the ship. Some people may want to be near the MDR or kids club, or not near the theater or under Cabana's. It's nice to have no window and to sleep in in the mornings; or if you have a napper, the ability to go dark in the afternoon. Downside, no natural light, no private outdoor space.
Oceanview: Great rooms, too. Natural light but no balcony. Mostly what I don't like about these is that they tend to be on the lowest decks. Some people love the location though.
Verandah: Can be pricey, especially on DCL. I love getting up in the morning with a cup of coffee, or sitting out there with a glass of wine. Anytime we've booked one, I've been lucky to spot marine life somewhere along the way. Great rooms, but I'd rather save my $ and book a second cruise if I can. If you have nappers, you can be nearby while still enjoying being on a cruise ship (I don't like to sit idly in the stateroom). Some people feel they are must haves, but there's plenty of outdoor lounging space on the ship.
Concierge: Haven't done it. But there's perks, like priority embarkation, bookings, etc.

I have never been on a cruise, and no one in my extended family has ever been on a Disney cruise, but the Treasure looks amazing and I want to go. Can someone please point me towards resources that can explain in obnoxious detail how cruises and the process of booking one works? I love travel planning, but I’m completely lost here!
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and help out this forlorn newbie.
I wrote you an obnoxiously long DM. No one on these boards needed to be subjected to that. LOL
We were first time ever cruisers on the Wish in Feb. 2023 we booked a few weeks before departure and had an unexpected great experience. Some friends who are cruise people talked us into going with them and they had booked months in advance. We are very active vacationers and thought maybe it was going to be too relaxing, but it was anything but, there was always something to do.

On Disney, there are booking windows that open. 75 and 30 days from date of sailing; know when yours is. 12am EST. Know what you want to book, excursions, tastings, etc. There are lots of helpful posts on this topic on this forum. 30 days out is also check in day. You'll need to have certain information at hand to complete check in and select a port arrival time. No big deal if you get a later time. I find the earlier you're there, the more crowds and waiting around you'll see.

Something else, DCL specific, is that people like to participate in fish extenders and decorate their doors, but this is too completely optional.

As others mentioned, besides the cruise fare, budget for gratuities, excursions, and any other activities in port.

Booking a room. There's pros and cons to all.
Inside: costs less and many still offer a split bath. You can select a room pretty much anywhere on the ship. Some people may want to be near the MDR or kids club, or not near the theater or under Cabana's. It's nice to have no window and to sleep in in the mornings; or if you have a napper, the ability to go dark in the afternoon. Downside, no natural light, no private outdoor space.
Oceanview: Great rooms, too. Natural light but no balcony. Mostly what I don't like about these is that they tend to be on the lowest decks. Some people love the location though.
Verandah: Can be pricey, especially on DCL. I love getting up in the morning with a cup of coffee, or sitting out there with a glass of wine. Anytime we've booked one, I've been lucky to spot marine life somewhere along the way. Great rooms, but I'd rather save my $ and book a second cruise if I can. If you have nappers, you can be nearby while still enjoying being on a cruise ship (I don't like to sit idly in the stateroom). Some people feel they are must haves, but there's plenty of outdoor lounging space on the ship.
Concierge: Haven't done it. But there's perks, like priority embarkation, bookings, etc.
Thank you for the detailed breakdown! At WDW I love to sit on a balcony and have my coffee or a glass of wine, but I’d rather have the second cruise for sure!
…what’s a fish extender? I have a mental picture, but I’m SURE it’s wrong.

Welcome! I just want to thank you for posting this. No one in my family has ever been on a cruise before, either, but we just booked a sailing on the Treasure for August 2025. Honestly, I booked for the dates and itinerary--I would have been happy with the Fantasy, from which the Treasure is taking over her routes. But we are also looking forward to what we've seen in reveals of the Treasure so far.
I’m glad I’m not alone!

Booking/planning a cruise is 5-year old easy compared to planning a trip to WDW or DL.

First - select cruise - decide on dates, length, itinerary. This depends on your interests and budget.

Consider what room - inside cabin (cheapest), ocean view, verandah, concierge (most expensive). Other categories within those but you get the picture. Also forward, midship or aft if you care. Different people have different ideas on what is best. Consider how much time you will spend in room.

Select dining time. Early is EARLY - like 5:30/6:00 or so. Late is LATE - like 8:00/8:30. There are 3 main dining rooms, you are assigned a rotation. Your serving crew moves with you. Dining is somewhat formal service by courses and may take 90 minutes or more. Very relaxing. All main dining is included in cruise price except for alcohol. There are also speciality restaurants for a (significant) extra fee - must reserve. For a first cruise, I wouldn't. There are also "fast food" options and room service (no extra cost except tip).

The main shows are opposite the dining times so early diners go to later show, late diners go to early show. No charge, no tickets or reservations, just go. Shows are usually very good. Also, complimentary movies are shown in theater.

For each port you can (1) stay on ship, (2) do a Disney approved excursion (for a fee) or (3) do a private excursion or walk-about on your own. Just be sure the get back to the ship on time.

Most all activities on cruise are included in cruise cost except for drink tastings (have to reserve), Bingo, or Spa. Workout room is complimentary. We often spend -0- extra dollars.

Thank you! This is exactly what I need!

The big questions are:
  • date
  • departure port
  • ship
  • itinerary
  • length of cruise
Depending on which of those 5 items is most important to you, the others almost fall into line. For example: if you want to cruise on the Treasure during spring break, that will give you a few dates and choice of 2 Caribbean itineraries. Or if you want to go to Alaska that will limit your ship and departure port as well as time of year, with a few options of length of cruise.

I guess budget is always good to have planned as well. But start looking at what you want, and if that doesn't fit your budget either decide to wait and save more, or choose a shorter cruise/different itinerary/different time of year.

A travel agent who specializes in Disney Cruise Line can be helpful in explaining some of the differences if you just can't figure out where to begin. Bonus that you'll gain some onboard credit (depending on the agency).
Thank you! This sounds like a place a travel agent would be really useful. I don’t use them for WDW because I enjoy the planning (or did, pre-Genie) but I’d rather skip the learning curve here.

So I think the best guide to DCL for newbies is the unofficial guide to Disney Cruise Line, it'll detail most of the ships, how everything works, obviously it won't really include the Treasure until the 2026 guide as the 2025 guide will hit print before the Treasure launches. https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-Cruise-Guides/dp/1628091479/ref=sr_1_1?crid=11XGNSZ5VIO5P&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.oZNw6FHA6lzSAJxFsbL8i-wR31wK6PtgtgRiEIO2EIQnhCxK1e1pH7zsP8exxlkT_SgV0SfXXR7Tx3aNl39EbA7AfDMMETCDRQ4DQTFma8CAD0eIfi8vfdlMf0OVLSccQ43dDwEzmRV1TKALGcn6rxF2tY-xPeJTXOq_wOlPxt8qxSVTVoYxrXZNjxH0D02igJmbGPSXqmZUOPmC7zLJYZc7HHVupy5WQwYxN-wJ39A.kHRm4sA85DiLUqPyfva6-2gXjtNxf-TOApcEsuXcvLI&dib_tag=se&keywords=unofficial+guide+to+disney+cruise+line&qid=1712068129&sprefix=unofficial+guide+to+disney+cruise+line,aps,111&sr=8-1

Honestly, for a cruise, the things that matter most to me are departure port, followed by itinerary, followed by ship.
I’m a fiend for research, so this is ideal. I’ll definitely get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter