• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Explain Rope Drop Please

slyster

DIS Veteran
I was thinking Rope drop meant be there early before the scheduled opening time to be one of the first ones into the park when the park officially opens. However, I read somewhere that it means that getting there early means being in the park and riding rides before the official start time?

Can someone explain this? We will be going first week of January. We like to be at the parks early. If we want to catch some of the popular rides early, how early should we be arriving at each park: AK, MK, DHS, Epcot?

Our DHS days show opening at 10, MK at 9, AK at 9, and Epcot at 11. Thanks in advance...we definitely need your advice!

Rope drop always meant getting to the park prior to the opening time and being there for the figurative dropping of the rope and the dash to rides. However, post July 2020, parks have been opening prior to the posted opening times so there really hasn’t been a true rope drop moment anymore. Plus, Disney wouldn’t want the herds of people that rope drop used to bring.

I was thinking Rope drop meant be there early before the scheduled opening time to be one of the first ones into the park when the park officially opens. However, I read somewhere that it means that getting there early means being in the park and riding rides before the official start time?

Can someone explain this? We will be going first week of January. We like to be at the parks early. If we want to catch some of the popular rides early, how early should we be arriving at each park: AK, MK, DHS, Epcot?

Our DHS days show opening at 10, MK at 9, AK at 9, and Epcot at 11. Thanks in advance...we definitely need your advice!
We just got back yesterday. At HS and Epcot, we were let in about 45 min before official opening time. At Epcot, we went straight to Frozen and were able to ride that and test track before the park opened. At HS, we went straight to MMRR and then to Slinky dog, and were done by park open.

Your first statement it's correct, currently though as others have explained not only the parks but some attractions are opening before official opening time, this decision is made daily by each attractions operations team so its not a guarantee it'll happen
In short just plan to drive or be on the bus an hour before each park's official time and you'll be fine

Ok I’m glad I asked! So this change happened this past summer.

So arrive an hour before official opening times and expect the parks to open prior to that. As Allie boo said, expect them to open around 45 min before the official opening time.

Thanks!

I love Rope Drop and always do it!

However, I would not necessarily expect anything. How far they let you in the Park and at what point varies widely with no real rhyme or reason.

I see it as a great treat if I am able to get my day started prior to Park opening! Getting off of FOP at 8:50 with a 9:00 opening was quite a thrill.

But on another day they might not even let you in the queue until nine.:confused3

Ok. So it’s hit or miss. That’s good to know. Still worth getting there early just in case they allow you in early. Thank you for that.

Rope drop always meant getting to the park prior to the opening time and being there for the figurative dropping of the rope and the dash to rides.
Um, not necessarily figurative. They used to literally drop a rope. I don't know if or when they stopped doing that.

in "normal times" we never did rope drop. But in "covid times" and the shorter park hours, rope dro is a must.

In September, HS had a posted open time of 9am. We were let in and were riding rides at 8:30am.

Epcot had an open time of 11am, we were let in at 10:30. MK was the same. 30 mins prior to officially opening, we were in the park and on rides.

Do they post a daily bus and Skyliner times? Or do those don’t change. We want to rope drop, but are using the free transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter