Expiring points extended

Good news! We’ve got a May trip booked with Aug use year (2019) points. Interested to see how they’ll handle this.

Sounds like right now, they won’t be doing anything.

ETA: info on website seems to say they will be banked if resort still closed

Last edited:
Interesting. Certainly negatively impacts people who use contracts every other year by borrowing the future years' points which seems somewhat common (i.e. two home resorts, banking and borrowing every other year). Sounds like that won't be possible at least for a while.
At least borrowing is not entirely out. Just limited to 50% of the points for that contract. I didn't notice any mention of OTUPs. I wonder if they won't sell those next year since that would also impact availabilility or they go ahead and allow that since it equals more income?

Do any of the legal experts know if DVC has the right to extend the expiration of some Use Years, but not others? It feels like all other Use Years points were just devalued because it will be so much harder to get reservations now, but they didn't get any extension on their points. On top of that everyone is more restricted now with the 50% borrowing cap.
I think they will extend the others as well if the closure continues

Id give them a call and I am sure they will be able to put them in there. It doesn’t seem to indicate they have to be for new reservations

It also gives hope that they know things will be opening up by summer.

figured this would more than likely require a call to do this since there is probably no easy way to do it online lol

So does anybody have any thoughts on why this doesn't apply to 2019 August Use Year points, for which it is too late to bank? I have a small amount of points (13) that I am losing for a cancelled vacation in June.

Aug UY has the option to cancel and bank once closure was announced. I am thinking that they are allowing late banking for those with April and June UY because that was already passed once closure started.

ETA: seems like website indicates they will be allowed late banking if resort still closed

I have August UY and this is exactly what I did. Cancelled things and banked.

Although my reservations were for May and it was clear by the banking deadline that May wasn't happening. If someone has a July reservation, it would have not be clear by the banking deadline. And still isn't clear... so I would assume if they are closed until August 1, they will extend Aug UY banking.
They may or they may not. While the situation may not be clear for those June/July trips, what was clear is that this pandemic had started by that date. The closure had been in place for about 2 weeks by the time the March 31 banking deadline occurred. Anyone who didn't bank by their deadline did so at their own risk. While anyone who owns DVC has assumed a certain level of risk just by purchasing a timeshare, April & June use years didn't get the benefit of that knowledge before their banking deadline.

I'm glad we finally heard something from DVC. That may mess up my back up plan though. Right now I have a trip booked for August, using well over 50% of my borrowed points. I understand that is grandfathered. My plan was to wait a few months and see how things progress and use March as my backup plan (April Use Year). However, I would need to borrow a few more points to make the switch. Will I be allowed to borrow 50% of what's remaining or will I be locked out of borrowing entirely?

Even though I benefit by getting 87 points that were about to expire May 31 extended, for the membership as a whole I think this is bad. Now everyone can only borrow 50%? Doesn't seem fair to other members.

The statement is really vague about how long that will be the case for, if its for the short term fine, but if it's going to be that way moving forward thats really bad, especially for people that bought a lower amount of points with the mindset of borrowing.

DVC has made a good faith effort to assist members during an unprecedented event. I think they've done as well as we could have reasonably expected. These solutions may not be ideal for everyone but within the bounds of reason, they have demonstrated why we all have a certain level of trust in Disney to do the right thing. I'm also glad that members who were facing the loss of points have some ways to use the expiring points. Nice job, DVC!

June UY here and I'm happy and exactly why I didn't want to transfer to RCI.

Anyway can someone clarify whether we have to wait for DVC to cancel our May reservation before points get extended or can I cancel my May reservation now and rebook in the future!

Thank you Disney!

Do any of the legal experts know if DVC has the right to extend the expiration of some Use Years, but not others? It feels like all other Use Years points were just devalued because it will be so much harder to get reservations now, but they didn't get any extension on their points. On top of that everyone is more restricted now with the 50% borrowing cap.
How will you survive?

Just try to book your vacation and be happy for those that didn't get completely screwed. The legal "experts" said dvc couldn't even do this so...maybe go to another website if you're looking for free internet legal advice.

Dvc did the right thing, this is not a lot of points and I'd complain when you know something is wrong before starting to search for things to complain about that haven't yet materialized.

June UY here and I'm happy and exactly why I didn't want to transfer to RCI.

Anyway can someone clarify whether we have to wait for DVC to cancel our May reservation before points get extended or can I cancel my May reservation now and rebook in the future!

Thank you Disney!
Whoo hoo! Me, too. Very happy. I only had 33 points at stake, but this is great. Now to modify a February reservation to use those points! I think I'll wait for a few days until all the dust settles.

I have August UY and this is exactly what I did. Cancelled things and banked.

Although my reservations were for May and it was clear by the banking deadline that May wasn't happening. If someone has a July reservation, it would have not be clear by the banking deadline. And still isn't clear... so I would assume if they are closed until August 1, they will extend Aug UY banking.

Yeah, I had a mid-June ressie still thinking it was possible on the March 31 banking deadline. But I cancelled last week. My biggest concern was getting 260 borrowed points re-deposited into next year. I'm only losing 13 2019 UY points, so it's not a big deal. Maybe I'll get them back if they extend to August UY down the road.

I'm glad we finally heard something from DVC. That may mess up my back up plan though. Right now I have a trip booked for August, using well over 50% of my borrowed points. I understand that is grandfathered. My plan was to wait a few months and see how things progress and use March as my backup plan (April Use Year). However, I would need to borrow a few more points to make the switch. Will I be allowed to borrow 50% of what's remaining or will I be locked out of borrowing entirely?

From the way it reads, you’d be locked out. It would be considered a new reservation.

That's an odd unhelpful response.
You're complaining about some perceived issue that hasn't even happened yet. People are thrilled they aren't losing thousands of dollars and you are here basically saying they shouldn't be doing this because your points may possibly be slightly devalued? I'm just not sure it's the time for that discussion my points have dropped in value even more than yours as I now have six months to use them but the solution cannot be perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter