Expiring points extended

TinkFan74

DIS Veteran
Welcome Home!

Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,
I hope you and your family are staying healthy and doing well during these trying times. The impacts of COVID-19 are testing us all in ways we never imagined, yet we continue to be inspired by stories of care and compassion in our local communities and around the world.
Our team at Disney Vacation Club is deeply appreciative of the patience and understanding shown by our Members – and the helpful feedback and kind thoughts shared with our Cast.
Looking ahead to better days, our team is committed to keeping you informed and providing flexibility in your membership given the unique circumstances of this crisis. Based on your feedback, we are taking additional actions beyond those we previously shared with you:

• We know that some Members had reservations for Disney Vacation Club resort stays during the closure period using points that are set to expire. 2019 Use Year points for April and June that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for these reservations will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. 2018 Use Year points for April and June that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will be extended for six months from their current expiration date. Please note this temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. In addition, to better support Member availability, Disney Vacation Club will not extend the life of our expiring developer points.

• In light of this and to help with resort availability in the coming year, beginning today Members who want to borrow points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year points per contract, as permitted by your Home Rules and Regulations. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations once the resorts reopen. Points already borrowed for a stay outside the closure period will be honored, even if they are above the 50 percent threshold. We will continue to monitor our inventory and re-evaluate, with the goal of returning to our standard policy as soon as it is appropriate to do so.

• Finally, some Members have had questions about how the closure is affecting their association’s annual dues. While lower operating costs are anticipated for each condominium association because of the closures, there are many unknowns ahead as the resorts return to operation. Our commitment to Guest and Cast safety remains our top priority, and changes may be implemented to the way we operate, which may add some new costs. Given the unique circumstances of this situation, the proposal is to issue a credit to Members in mid-December as part of the distribution of Annual Dues Statements for 2021 if their association has an operating surplus (as opposed to rolling all surpluses into reserves).

These changes should provide helpful support to the entire membership as our team works toward making Disney magic for you and your loved ones just as soon as possible. We will continue to evaluate the situation, make changes to policies as they become necessary and keep you updated. More information on the

June UY here! I’m so happy!

question though....I have about 30-something 2018 points that are set to expire so those will get extended 6 months right?? We already have reservations booked for July, September, and November. How hard/easy is it to get them to reallocate those points so that they use these 2018 points first??

Good news! We’ve got a May trip booked with Aug use year (2019) points. Interested to see how they’ll handle this.

Companies usually release news on Friday's afternoon when it's bad news. Disney bucks the trend and issues good news. Congrats to all those people's whose expired points have some new life to them!
Not sure it’s good news really most people will be affected by the lack of inventory.

i mean I know they extended 2018 points by 6 months but look at inventory say if they open in June. How will u us those points

So does anybody have any thoughts on why this doesn't apply to 2019 August Use Year points, for which it is too late to bank? I have a small amount of points (13) that I am losing for a cancelled vacation in June.

What news just before the weekend. It will make the certain cancellation of our end of May reservation easier to tolerate. I still love Jim Hill's (Disney Dis podcast) idea to allow DVC members who have cancelled reservations to book moderate or value resorts with points, but with a guarantee for riding hard get fast pass or boarding group attractions.

So does anybody have any thoughts on why this doesn't apply to 2019 August Use Year points, for which it is too late to bank? I have a small amount of points (13) that I am losing for a cancelled vacation in June.
Exactly, I'm in the same boat! Already rescheduled a trip twice using my banked 2018 August points. If WDW doesn't open to out-of-state guests in June (current dates booked) it's unlikely I'll be able to find availability before they expire at the end of July.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I believe they didn't include August Use Year's because the closure started before the banking deadline. Those with August Use Year's accepted the risk when they didn't bank by their deadline.

Not sure it’s good news really most people will be affected by the lack of inventory.

i mean I know they extended 2018 points by 6 months but look at inventory say if they open in June. How will u us those points
SSR has good availability in Studios June-August as well as small amounts in Sept thur Nov. 1BR are available almost everyday at both SSR and OKW. If you had a studio at GFV or BCV you probably are not getting that. But there is availability so people can book something. In this case something is definitely better than expired. I know some will still complain they didn't get what they originally had. At this point I don't think people with expired points will get any more relief.

From the learn more link on the member website: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/borrow-points/policy-updates/

"Members with later Use Years should follow normal banking guidelines to bank their current Use Year Vacation Points. If a reservation was cancelled due to the Resort closure after the Member’s banking window, an exception will be made to bank the allotted Points associated with that reservation."

However, it still appears points borrowed from 2018 for Aug UY are not being extended by 6 months at this time.

Do any of the legal experts know if DVC has the right to extend the expiration of some Use Years, but not others? It feels like all other Use Years points were just devalued because it will be so much harder to get reservations now, but they didn't get any extension on their points. On top of that everyone is more restricted now with the 50% borrowing cap.

Just my opinion, but I believe they didn't include August Use Year's because the closure started before the banking deadline. Those with August Use Year's accepted the risk when they didn't bank by their deadline.

I have August UY and this is exactly what I did. Cancelled things and banked.

Although my reservations were for May and it was clear by the banking deadline that May wasn't happening. If someone has a July reservation, it would have not be clear by the banking deadline. And still isn't clear... so I would assume if they are closed until August 1, they will extend Aug UY banking.

June UY here! I’m so happy!

question though....I have about 30-something 2018 points that are set to expire so those will get extended 6 months right?? We already have reservations booked for July, September, and November. How hard/easy is it to get them to reallocate those points so that they use these 2018 points first??

Id give them a call and I am sure they will be able to put them in there. It doesn’t seem to indicate they have to be for new reservations

It also gives hope that they know things will be opening up by summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter