Experience with NY quarantine form and follow-up

Nope, not at all. If you break quarantine in your home by going to the door, it defeats the purpose. I stayed in a room separated from the house and if I had to prove I was home, I would have entered common living space that i purposed stayed out of and was told I should stay out of.

Yes, the NG met the plane and one would not have been allowed to proceed without handing in the form.

The point is that the implementation of this program relied around people doing the right thing and staying in. Just like those that test positive are required to...but you cant enforce it,

Legally, like I said, this is a Slippery slope which is why my county put in things the way they did, I have lots of family and friends who work in law enforcement, at the county government, and in the legal field. Anyone fined..I have not heard of any...has a good basis to sue.

So, in this case, it will be the honor system again, Now, if you break it, test positive, and are honest about that so they can contact trace accurately, you may be subject to one.

Other than that, nothing they can do. Now, everyone I know who has traveled followed the rules because we felt it was the right thing to do and am glad to see there is an option to thr 14 days with testing...which is what I will do when I go back in December .
I hear what you're saying, but when they are asserting they can fine you (though it sounds like they haven't actually), I'd be hesitant to say there's "nothing" they can do. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of all this BS, but I can't reconcile the assertion of fines within the executive order if they truly weren't within their legal limit to fine. And even if they aren't, who wants to go through the time and money of a legal battle against the state over it. I agree that everyone should be abiding by the order anyway, but I think they still retain some authority to levy fines under the perfect sequence of events.

In our case in Buffalo, the National Guard is at the exit to the secured area of the airport. Not even meeting the arriving flights. Its a joke really... this small area is a mix of National Guardsmen, friends and family greeting people coming off flights, and people leaving the secured area trying to get through and trying to find a spot to step aside to fill out this form. There was no mention of the form on our flight or even signs at the airport, and the NG provided us with no information or details. If I were really ignorant and didn't follow the news, I would have had no idea what it was for. The NG didn't even hand me a clipboard - I put my hand out for one and he asked if I had just gotten off a flight. Of course I said yes and filled in the form, but it would have been easy for me to say no and slip past. And then according to the executive order, they would have the authority to fine me for not completing the form.

I hear what you're saying, but when they are asserting they can fine you (though it sounds like they haven't actually), I'd be hesitant to say there's "nothing" they can do. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of all this BS, but I can't reconcile the assertion of fines within the executive order if they truly weren't within their legal limit to fine. And even if they aren't, who wants to go through the time and money of a legal battle against the state over it. I agree that everyone should be abiding by the order anyway, but I think they still retain some authority to levy fines under the perfect sequence of events.

In our case in Buffalo, the National Guard is at the exit to the secured area of the airport. Not even meeting the arriving flights. Its a joke really... this small area is a mix of National Guardsmen, friends and family greeting people coming off flights, and people leaving the secured area trying to get through and trying to find a spot to step aside to fill out this form. There was no mention of the form on our flight or even signs at the airport, and the NG provided us with no information or details. If I were really ignorant and didn't follow the news, I would have had no idea what it was for. The NG didn't even hand me a clipboard - I put my hand out for one and he asked if I had just gotten off a flight. Of course I said yes and filled in the form, but it would have been easy for me to say no and slip past. And then according to the executive order, they would have the authority to fine me for not completing the form.

Our airport in Syracuse handed them out before we got on the flight and they handed them to passengers in Orlando as well before we boarded.

My point is they can’t fine you if they came and someone said you were there or you don’t answer. I mean they don’t even do that for people who are positive. They do have to prove you violated it and I don’t agree that just because it’s an executive order makes it perfectly legal.

That’s why it is what it is and I’m basing on info I have from those in a position to know!!!

Last edited:
Has anyone found clarity as to how to measure the three day quarantine upon arrival? The official order says one must quarantine "for a minimum of three days, measured from time of arrival, and on day 4 may seek a diagnostic test to exit quarantine." Does arrival day count as Day 1? Or is arrival day Day 0? I'm tempted to say it literally means 72 hours from the time of arrival and not full days, since they specify time of arrival, except in the previous sentence it says you must have been tested "within 72 hours prior to arrival in New York." So if they meant 72 hours after arrival they know how to say that. Except I think it is even more likely that nobody thought to be consistent and clear in their writing, even though these are fairly specific rules, and this is basically a muddled, unclear mess.

Also, with respect to the 72 hours prior, are they really not going to count it if you arrive in the afternoon, but were tested 3 days earlier in the morning?

Now that the maingate testing side is walk-up (not drive-up), do you just stand outside of the tents in a socially distanced line? I'm contemplating driving there to get a test on my last day, although I'm planning to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in NY anyway (since I work from home).
Yes, you just stand in a socially distant line. There were no markers on the ground but everyone was very good with keeping their distance when I was there.

I had rented a car this trip because I didn’t know what Disney transportation would be like so it made getting to the site super easy (I went straight from the airport, had my results by the time I pulled into Wilderness Lodge). Other than getting an Uber I don’t know how else you can get there.

As for the rest of it, today is my last day of the three day quarantine and I’m going tomorrow morning to get a rapid test. I’m in Westchester, and there’s a CityMD near me and they’re all doing free rapid tests.

I’ll also note that when I landed on Friday, nobody asked to see my first negative, my traveler health form I had to fill out online, and nobody has contacted me. I was contacted by phone in Disney to let me know my test results were ready though.

For anyone interested, the first woman at the testing site (there were two - the person who first verified your info and the second who collected your self swab) did ask if I needed a specific test due to travel regulations. I was there around 12:30 or so and waited about twenty minutes in line.
Thank you for that info. I am not far from you in Dutchess so I have places to go around here, but I always get worried that you are going to a place where actual sick patients are going for tests. Seems odd to expose yourself. Anyway, sounds like it wasn't so bad for you!

I got my second covid test today after a three day quarantine and that came back negative, so I'm good to go. The only contact I've had from the state is a text yesterday asking if I had any symptoms. So far I haven't been asked to produce any negative results (and I'm actually not expecting to - maybe my job will ask, but I think it's mainly the honor system with the state) but I'll update if that changes.

I don’t live in NY but I’ve been there maybe a dozen times since this all started (all upstate). The airlines will usual,y give you a form or a QR code to fill out the form online upon boarding. Foot it out, screen shot and done. Neither Buffalo or Albany anyone greeted the airplanes with anything more than an unmanned card table with paper forms on it. If you arrive via general aviation there is exactly zero reminder or even encouragement to report entering the state. Not sure on arriving by vehicle but I suspect the same.

I can offer no advice on the quarantine thing as I’m an essential worker so none of that has applied to me and the testing requirement doesn’t apply either.
Good luck in traveling. It isn’t scary. It’s actually kind of normal in a weird way.

I don’t live in NY but I’ve been there maybe a dozen times since this all started (all upstate). The airlines will usual,y give you a form or a QR code to fill out the form online upon boarding. Foot it out, screen shot and done. Neither Buffalo or Albany anyone greeted the airplanes with anything more than an unmanned card table with paper forms on it. If you arrive via general aviation there is exactly zero reminder or even encouragement to report entering the state. Not sure on arriving by vehicle but I suspect the same.

I can offer no advice on the quarantine thing as I’m an essential worker so none of that has applied to me and the testing requirement doesn’t apply either.
Good luck in traveling. It isn’t scary. It’s actually kind of normal in a weird way.
Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I live in Westchester County. The test was free. The CityMD did ask for my insurance card to open an account (I had never been to a CityMD before) but any covid testing is free.

Its my understanding, which has been confirmed by some others on the boards, that you are expected to have the test within 72 hours before leaving Florida (or wherever), but you don't necessarily need the results before you leave. You will not be asked to prove you got the test upon leaving Florida or returning to NY, because the test is optional. Its just a step that people who do not wish to quarantine for 14 days must take. If you decide to end your quarantine after receiving the negative Florida test results and negative NY test results (from day 4 upon returning home), then you would just need to retain both test results to furnish for the health department when/if they request it.

You are correct in that it will be honor system as in you won't have to show proof of the test results to travel, since the test is optional. But, you'll definitely want the results if the health department comes to inquire. I know several people who traveled under the old process and there were instances of the health department calling to validate the form information and reports of the health department knocking on people's doors. I'm on day 9 of quarantine under the old process (I returned home just before the new process was effective) and have not received any contact from the health department, so it definitely varies and seems like they spot check.

As far as the legality of it, I'm not so sure. Its an executive order and they can issue fines if people are not complying. I don't think it would ever be criminal though, if that's what you mean.

We looked into the essential worker piece of it because DH is an essential worker. It was our understanding that if essential workers are traveling FOR work, then they are exempt from both testing and quarantine. But if you're an essential worker traveling for something non-work related, you're subject to the same testing/quarantine requirements as everyone else.

We looked into the essential worker piece of it because DH is an essential worker. It was our understanding that if essential workers are traveling FOR work, then they are exempt from both testing and quarantine. But if you're an essential worker traveling for something non-work related, you're subject to the same testing/quarantine requirements as everyone else.
I'm not sure why it would be any other way.

For those who have completed trips under the new guidelines, how have you proven you tested negative within 72 hours? Are you forwarding them an email or some other sort of proof?

We just returned last night from a week in Disney. Flew into Albany NY later in the evening and we were met by the NG right before you go down to baggage pick up. They were handing out a one page form that asks name, address, email and phone number. It also asked what state you flew in from, what flight number and if you had been tested and did you have any symptoms. Very basic. We all had been tested the day before and we were all negative but they never asked for any proof. I witnessed many passengers just walk away without filling out the paper work.

We just returned last night from a week in Disney. Flew into Albany NY later in the evening and we were met by the NG right before you go down to baggage pick up. They were handing out a one page form that asks name, address, email and phone number. It also asked what state you flew in from, what flight number and if you had been tested and did you have any symptoms. Very basic. We all had been tested the day before and we were all negative but they never asked for any proof. I witnessed many passengers just walk away without filling out the paper work.
Please keep us posted about the follow up procedure with the new testing requirements. I’m curious to see how they are checking to see if in fact people are adhering to the testing guidelines. We returned last night into Islip and NG also handed out forms. They also checked ID to make sure info was correct. No one got through without completing the forms. We plan on doing the 14 day quarantine mostly because a flight attendant on SWA coughed the entire flight. They kept her in the rear crew area but we were only 7 rows from the back.

Disneytam- Albany is our home airport, too. Where will you test at home on the fourth day and (I am assuming) it can be a rapid test too? Where did you get a rapid test in FL and was there a cost associated?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter