Experience with NY quarantine form and follow-up

I’ve had a few covid tests here at home prior to procedures and I’ve never gotten a receipt or paper saying I was tested. I did however receive an email a few days later with the results. I wonder how they are confirming the 1st test was taken and the results.

I’ve had a few covid tests here at home prior to procedures and I’ve never gotten a receipt or paper saying I was tested. I did however receive an email a few days later with the results. I wonder how they are confirming the 1st test was taken and the results.

I believe it will once again be the honor system that you have them, As I mentioned, even now, i have not had to prove I was staying home.

If someone says they have the tests, they are released from quarantine. If they get sick and get caught lying, then it could be an issue.

Obviously, things can change, but as a NY resident, I do not believe they can legally force me to test, or even quarantine for that matter.

However, I will do it because I think it’s the right thing for me to do since I plan to travel over the next 6 months quite a bit.

I wonder if home testing kits would qualify for the test you need to do while in Florida. Most that I have seen require you to drop off in a fedex drop box before the last pick up the day you perform the test.

No. They have not monitored the roads, only airports. Again, much of it is the honor system as I am just finishing mine. I flew and had to fill the form and hand to the National Guard as they met the plane,

They called the next day, confirmed the info, gave instruction, and text every day to ask if I have symptoms. However, there is no way for them to know for sure if I stayed in...which I did.

I think the issue is that if you do enter, dont quarantine or test, end up positive and have been out and about, you could get fined when you admit that you broke it so they can contact trace.
NYC is doing some spot patrols at some of the major bridges and tunnels. It’s very rare (usually once a week) and it’s only at the major crossings like the Holland tunnel, Goethals bridge, etc. But they are doing car stops.

Has anyone returned on this new program that is considered an essential worker. If I am reading the NYS form correctly, I just need to get a test with in 4 days after returning to NY. I was surprised what is considering and essential worker by NYS.

Its my understanding, which has been confirmed by some others on the boards, that you are expected to have the test within 72 hours before leaving Florida (or wherever), but you don't necessarily need the results before you leave. You will not be asked to prove you got the test upon leaving Florida or returning to NY, because the test is optional. Its just a step that people who do not wish to quarantine for 14 days must take. If you decide to end your quarantine after receiving the negative Florida test results and negative NY test results (from day 4 upon returning home), then you would just need to retain both test results to furnish for the health department when/if they request it.

I believe it will once again be the honor system that you have them, As I mentioned, even now, i have not had to prove I was staying home.

If someone says they have the tests, they are released from quarantine. If they get sick and get caught lying, then it could be an issue.

Obviously, things can change, but as a NY resident, I do not believe they can legally force me to test, or even quarantine for that matter.

However, I will do it because I think it’s the right thing for me to do since I plan to travel over the next 6 months quite a bit.
You are correct in that it will be honor system as in you won't have to show proof of the test results to travel, since the test is optional. But, you'll definitely want the results if the health department comes to inquire. I know several people who traveled under the old process and there were instances of the health department calling to validate the form information and reports of the health department knocking on people's doors. I'm on day 9 of quarantine under the old process (I returned home just before the new process was effective) and have not received any contact from the health department, so it definitely varies and seems like they spot check.

As far as the legality of it, I'm not so sure. Its an executive order and they can issue fines if people are not complying. I don't think it would ever be criminal though, if that's what you mean.

Has anyone returned on this new program that is considered an essential worker. If I am reading the NYS form correctly, I just need to get a test with in 4 days after returning to NY. I was surprised what is considering and essential worker by NYS.
We looked into the essential worker piece of it because DH is an essential worker. It was our understanding that if essential workers are traveling FOR work, then they are exempt from both testing and quarantine. But if you're an essential worker traveling for something non-work related, you're subject to the same testing/quarantine requirements as everyone else.

Yup. Showed up on Tuesday for a test and had my results emailed fifteen minutes later.
By chance do you have a car while there? I'm trying to figure out how to safely get there without a car. I don't really want to expose myself to the chance of covid outside of the Disney bubble. Seems counter-intuitive to hire a taxi with a stranger and not knowing how they clean the car, etc.

Same here. We hope to have a test within the disney bubble or close enough to walk there.

Testing is rapid and free where I live in WNY, so it would be very ideal if we could just test right when we get home and then again on Day 4.

Its my understanding, which has been confirmed by some others on the boards, that you are expected to have the test within 72 hours before leaving Florida (or wherever), but you don't necessarily need the results before you leave. You will not be asked to prove you got the test upon leaving Florida or returning to NY, because the test is optional. Its just a step that people who do not wish to quarantine for 14 days must take. If you decide to end your quarantine after receiving the negative Florida test results and negative NY test results (from day 4 upon returning home), then you would just need to retain both test results to furnish for the health department when/if they request it.

You are correct in that it will be honor system as in you won't have to show proof of the test results to travel, since the test is optional. But, you'll definitely want the results if the health department comes to inquire. I know several people who traveled under the old process and there were instances of the health department calling to validate the form information and reports of the health department knocking on people's doors. I'm on day 9 of quarantine under the old process (I returned home just before the new process was effective) and have not received any contact from the health department, so it definitely varies and seems like they spot check.

As far as the legality of it, I'm not so sure. Its an executive order and they can issue fines if people are not complying. I don't think it would ever be criminal though, if that's what you mean.

We looked into the essential worker piece of it because DH is an essential worker. It was our understanding that if essential workers are traveling FOR work, then they are exempt from both testing and quarantine. But if you're an essential worker traveling for something non-work related, you're subject to the same testing/quarantine requirements as everyone else.

Here in Onondaga County they stated they would send texts and that was it. They would not be checking at the house.

They can not legally do anything unless they have proof you violated and got a positive test....and that is disputed too. Even with a knock on the door, you don’t have to answer it or prove you were there if someone else answers and says you are because being quarantined means not being near others so you wouldn’t answer anyway.

Again, honor system.

Last edited:
NYC is doing some spot patrols at some of the major bridges and tunnels. It’s very rare (usually once a week) and it’s only at the major crossings like the Holland tunnel, Goethals bridge, etc. But they are doing car stops.

Thanks! The last I had read is that it was only airports.

By chance do you have a car while there? I'm trying to figure out how to safely get there without a car. I don't really want to expose myself to the chance of covid outside of the Disney bubble. Seems counter-intuitive to hire a taxi with a stranger and not knowing how they clean the car, etc.
I had rented a car this trip because I didn’t know what Disney transportation would be like so it made getting to the site super easy (I went straight from the airport, had my results by the time I pulled into Wilderness Lodge). Other than getting an Uber I don’t know how else you can get there.

As for the rest of it, today is my last day of the three day quarantine and I’m going tomorrow morning to get a rapid test. I’m in Westchester, and there’s a CityMD near me and they’re all doing free rapid tests.

I’ll also note that when I landed on Friday, nobody asked to see my first negative, my traveler health form I had to fill out online, and nobody has contacted me. I was contacted by phone in Disney to let me know my test results were ready though.

For anyone interested, the first woman at the testing site (there were two - the person who first verified your info and the second who collected your self swab) did ask if I needed a specific test due to travel regulations. I was there around 12:30 or so and waited about twenty minutes in line.

Here in Onondaga County they stated they would send texts and that was it. They would not be checking at the house.

They can not legally do anything unless they have proof you violated and got a positive test....and that is disputed too. Even with a knock on the door, you don’t have to answer it or prove you were there if someone else answers and says you are because being quarantined means not being near others so you wouldn’t answer anyway.

Again, honor system.
But again, if you can't substantiate that you're quarantining by answering the door, wouldn't you be potentially subject to fines? The news here also reports that if you don't complete the traveler form at the airport (administered by the National Guard), that you're subject to fines. Whether they have actually fined people, I have no idea, but I would not put it past anyone in the state of New York to do so considering the deficit we're in because of all this.

But again, if you can't substantiate that you're quarantining by answering the door, wouldn't you be potentially subject to fines? The news here also reports that if you don't complete the traveler form at the airport (administered by the National Guard), that you're subject to fines. Whether they have actually fined people, I have no idea, but I would not put it past anyone in the state of New York to do so considering the deficit we're in because of all this.

Nope, not at all. If you break quarantine in your home by going to the door, it defeats the purpose. I stayed in a room separated from the house and if I had to prove I was home, I would have entered common living space that i purposed stayed out of and was told I should stay out of.

Yes, the NG met the plane and one would not have been allowed to proceed without handing in the form.

The point is that the implementation of this program relied around people doing the right thing and staying in. Just like those that test positive are required to...but you cant enforce it,

Legally, like I said, this is a Slippery slope which is why my county put in things the way they did, I have lots of family and friends who work in law enforcement, at the county government, and in the legal field. Anyone fined..I have not heard of any...has a good basis to sue.

So, in this case, it will be the honor system again, Now, if you break it, test positive, and are honest about that so they can contact trace accurately, you may be subject to one.

Other than that, nothing they can do. Now, everyone I know who has traveled followed the rules because we felt it was the right thing to do and am glad to see there is an option to thr 14 days with testing...which is what I will do when I go back in December .

I just called the hot line number on the NY state website and confirmed you do not have a test to come back into NY state if you are flying and a NY resident. You will to quarantine for 14 days. If you do deicide to have a test in FL before leaving the state, you do not need the results, just that a test was performed. You will need to produce the results for that test along with the test on day 4 as negative to stop the quarantine.

Thank you for this clarification!

For anyone interested, the first woman at the testing site (there were two - the person who first verified your info and the second who collected your self swab) did ask if I needed a specific test due to travel regulations. I was there around 12:30 or so and waited about twenty minutes in line.

Now that the maingate testing side is walk-up (not drive-up), do you just stand outside of the tents in a socially distanced line? I'm contemplating driving there to get a test on my last day, although I'm planning to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in NY anyway (since I work from home).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter