Expedition Everest Question

If you don't get motion sickness I would give it a try once. I don't get motion sickness but would not ride Rock n Roller Coaster because it looked so scary. I finally gave it a try and now it's one of my favorites at WDW. I also love EE.

So I am not a fan of roller coasters at ALL...Don't ever go on them because I hate the feeling... I have been on Big Thunder Mountain and that I could handle...so my question is - Is Expedition Everest on par with Big Thunder Mountain or a crazy roller coaster ride??? (I refuse to go on the Rock n Roll Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror due to my hate of those kinds of rides)

I finally got up the nerve to ride Everest this year, and IMO it is WAY more intense than BTMRR. I survived EE, and I can't swear I would never do it again, but it was super-scary! I do BTMRR sometimes, but not more than once a trip, and not every trip. I LOVE Splash Mountain, including the drop, which I think is fun. On EE, there are drops that made me go "OMG, too steep! too steep! AAAAA!" And not necessarily in a good way. EE's backwards in the dark part wasn't as awful as I expected, but still not something I'm eager to do again.

I have no intention of riding RnRC or Space Mtn. Haven't been on ToT since I rode with my sister in '99 and '04 - it's about the limit of my scare tolerance, but if I can get up the nerve to do it, I will come off laughing.

I LOVE 7DMT, it's just the right degree of "thrill" for me, if that's helpful.

So I am not a fan of roller coasters at ALL...Don't ever go on them because I hate the feeling... I have been on Big Thunder Mountain and that I could handle...so my question is - Is Expedition Everest on par with Big Thunder Mountain or a crazy roller coaster ride??? (I refuse to go on the Rock n Roll Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror due to my hate of those kinds of rides)

Quite honestly, and after having read through the posts and being a big fan of Expedition Everest even though I don't like the long ride up and the short ride down, there is only one way for you to know if you are going to like the attraction or not. And that is to go on it. Remember - you can exit right before you board if you decide you aren't up to it.

I watched the thing being built for years and once I saw the long ride up, I said I wouldn't do it because that's the thing that scares me about normal roller coasters. My husband and I took my daughter-in-law during the building time and I mentioned to her that it was something I wouldn't ride. She said, "but how do you know you won't like it since you've never ridden it?" Very wise words from a very smart woman.

IMO comparing EE and BTMR is like comparing apples and ...... toothpaste.

I love both attractions equally but for VERY different reasons.

EE is much more intense than BTMR and if you are prone to any kind of motion sickness it might not be a great experience for you.

But I'm also in the "try it at least once and decide for yourself" camp. The theming is fantastic (even with just a disco Yeti :)).

EE is most definitely MORE intense than BTMR. EE has a entire section where the ride goes backwards straight into the dark at high speeds and into a helix that gives you the sensation of going upside down, there is also a high drop that is about as steep if not steeper than Splash Mountain. IMHO if you find any attraction at MK intense then I would not recommend EE for you..

If anyone suffers from vertigo or motion sickness, the backwards and up motion is going to get to you. It's a great ride if you don't get motion sickness.

I would suggest if you decide to ride EE make it the last ride of the day. If you get on it and feel like crap after riding it, the rest of your day will be ruined. I rode it once and felt a little sick afterwards as did DW.

I still go on TOT and BTMRR, but not EE. We're all wired differently and who wants to feel sick after a ride.

EE is a big ole NOPE for me. Like Karly05 above, I love 7DMT! Big Thunder is my limit. I don't love it but I can handle it. I made the mistake of trying ToT. Big mistake. Falling into darkness is just not my thing. :) That and a paralyzing fear of heights means no EE for me.

I do get motion sick sometimes. LOVE BTMMR! Love it, no issues whatsoever! Splash is my all-time favorite ride, followed closely by Tower of Terror. Can ride either of those over and over and over again. Space Mountain is not my favorite ride, but I can do it and be okay after. Won't even attempt RnR because going upside down would do me in.

Have ridden EE twice and came off feeling queasy both times. Didn't find it terribly scary but the spiral or whatever it's called, along with going backwards, just does me in.

If BTMRR is pushing your limits, EE will be way beyond them!

For any other amusement park (ie: Cedar Point, Magic Mountain) EE is a mild roller coaster. It's fun, but mild for those parks.

As for a Disney park, it's definitely an intense ride. I love the theme and intricate details only Disney can do. It's second to ToT in theming.

If BTMRR is intense for you I would heed caution on EE. But I'm with the others, if you don't get motion sickness it's worth the try!

I am wondering the same thing. I typically get motion sickness moderately easy when it comes to roller coasters, however friends of mine are trying to convince me to go. Is it worth it? How long do you go backwards for? Thanks! :thanks:

I've never been on EE due to my motion sickness. I recently discovered Dramamine when we started going to Universal. Can't wait to go to AK on our next trip and give it a go!!! If you avoid rides you'd otherwise like because of motion sickness, give Dramamine or Bonine a try.

I have ridden the Hulk and dueling dragons at Islands of Adventure and loved them both. They are considered by most to be pretty major roller coasters. I like EE, but the backwards part does a number on my equilibrium. It is not JUST backwards and dark. It is a tight turn backwards with heavy positive G forces pushing your head down. Once a trip is ALWAYS enough for me, and I could ride RnR over and over again. To me, RnR is much more fun, and honestly more tame, even with the loops.

I love it, but the backwards part always freaks me out. Very smooth and worth it, though!

BTMRR is my favorite ride. And I think the reason why people compare EE and BTMRR is the lack of multiple long drops. The slow climb up in EE does NOT result in a huge drop, it's a mild one...the only major drop in EE ends in a curve, so if you're riding in the front, you won't get that queasy stomach feeling that you would if you went straight down. My first time riding, I was unsettled and nervous the whole ride. But once it was over, and I had some time to reflect on it, I thought it wasn't so bad and now I like it. Not something I can do over and over, but after riding Space Mountain and BTMRR with no issues, I think it is a natural progression.

Based off what you said I would avoid EE. I would say its the most intense “Disney” coaster right behind RNRC. I love it but if your looking for something like Big Thunder, swing and a miss IMO.

2 Cents.

I'm a baby with roller coasters and skipped this one for years sadly. Until my dad and I saw a 5 year old girl with her mom go on we decided to do it and I'm glad we did!!

It's more intense than BTMR. The fun part is going backwards in the dark. You go backwards and up instead of down. It's a fun feeling.

I won't do ToT or RRC!!!

EE is way more fun and thrilling than BTMRR. I have to say though, that the part where you go backwards always makes me feel like we are going upside down. It's so much fun! :)

I would put the Mine Train in the same category as BTMRR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter