• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expanded Pizza Planet checkout area (and guests spreading ashes)

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I returned to the park today after nearly a month-long absence. I underestimated the cruelty of the wind, didn’t wear a jacket and spent a full thirty minutes at rope drop regretting it. The temp was in the low fifties but with the wind chill I suspect it was closer to the mid thirties. Even guests with jackets were complaining.

At the rope I met a pleasant family visiting from Australia. They were in the midst of a five-week jaunt across the country, which included visits to places such as NYC, LV, DL and LA. Today was their first-ever visit to DL and they were excited. As always, I offered a few tips. They were bound for Indiana Jones and were in about the 20th position (due to a dozen-plus runners). But I was happy for them that the attraction was open. As we all know, rope-dropping IJ can be a risk since it’s often not operating when the park opens.

I was the second person to reach The Haunted Mansion this morning but the first to board the ride, which is the first time I’ve ever done that. I know that it’s closing soon for a queue overhaul and wanted to catch it before that happens (even though it doesn’t close until later this month).

It was so chilly this morning that immediately after HM, I moved to POTC. I wanted to be out of the brutal breeze so anywhere inside would do, especially a long ride such a Pirates. During the ride I overheard the family behind me talking about a friend who'd had her ashes scattered in POTC and within a number of other attractions. Several years ago I spoke with someone on the maintenance team who told me that was always a bad idea because once it’s realized, the ride is closed, the ashes are swept up and then thrown away. In short, scattering ashes at DL is little better than scattering them at the local dump. Avoid it, despite the temptations and/or your friend or family member’s wishes.

As seen in the pic below, one of the checkout stations (with two cash registers) at Pizza Planet is in the process of being removed, which will make it much easier to move through the (previously congested) food area. They’ve removed two cash registers and will get rid of the station altogether soon. They’ve added three registers to the immediate left as you enter, well out of the way of foot traffic. There'd been four registers previously but with the addition of the three there are now five. This should be of further help to lessen checkout times.

At around 11:00 this morning some friends were exiting IJ and passed Charlize Theron as she and her entourage were being led in by a plaid. Alas, I didn’t see her myself. In fact, it’s been a while since I’ve seen a celebrity at the park. Then again, usually I'm not looking :-).

Did OK on Buzz today despite a rough start. My first several scores were in the low millions and then two or three of my better ones didn’t come through. I heard other people complaining of the same. The scoreboard wasn’t working on Friday and perhaps it’s still suffering from the aftershock(s). However, on my last game of the morning, I finally did well with a score of 2,050,800, which exorcised the earlier aggravation and made it all worth it.

Incidentally, I grabbed a third-row parking spot in the structure this morning. It’s rare that I ever get a spot that good. Shortly before the pandemic I got a first-place spot but that’s only ever happened once.

I’ve got maps for anyone who’d like a set. Send me a DM (“Start Conversation”) and I’ll pop a set in the mail for you.

Reminder: line cutting is strictly prohibiting at Disneyland. Unless, of course, the park charges us for the privilege ;-).

Pics:

IMG_7700.jpegIMG_7701.jpegIMG_7702.jpegIMG_7704.jpegIMG_7708.jpegIMG_7713.jpegIMG_7715.jpegIMG_7716.jpegIMG_7719.jpegIMG_7720.jpeg

Last edited:
A few more pics. On Wednesday I’ll treat myself to a joyride day in this Porsche Boxster. It’s in celebration of completing a new script and to make up for being sick in bed for a full two weeks while I was home in Chicago.

Incidentally, the pic of the long queue is the LL at HM. The line stretched all the way from the entrance to well past the Tiana’s Bayou board fence.
buzzlightyear.k2.2024007105300.eng.jpegIMG_7722.jpegIMG_7724.jpegIMG_7726.jpegIMG_7714.jpegIMG_7705.jpegIMG_7710.jpeg
IMG_7694.jpegIMG_7692.jpeg
IMG_7693.jpeg

Great pics as always, glad to have you back and SO SORRY your Christmas trip home was marred by illness…I am just now feeling better myself after pneumonia.

Sweet ride, my friend…may 2024 bring you lots of joy and success!

Welcome back! Sounds like a good albeit cold day. We were there on Saturday and it was not bad in the afternoon in the sun, but it was definitely chilly then too.

Great photos Rob and so very glad you are better! I love to drive my brother's Boxer, very fun and sneaky fast! Looks cold down there but kind of fits with the Christmas decor!

Glad you're feeling better and could get to the parks! Thanks for all the pictures. I especially like the one of the empty Haunted Mansion entry.

That thing about spreading ashes is so weird. I can see why people would want to do it, but they shouldn't unless it's allowed.

I don't drive fancy cars, but am jealous of the Porsche! Love the red interior.

I'm glad you are back and visiting the park again. That wind can really do a number on people in the park, there have been a few times I've been shivering because I forgot my coat or sweatshirt. Had to break down a few times and buy a sweatshirt, and I'm from Wisconsin so I should be accustomed to the cold! Sorry to hear that you were sick while you were in Chicago. I hope you have fully recovered.

*If* I was going to direct that my ashes be scattered in DL, I would tell my loved ones to put a just a pinch of dust in a planter, or under a bush.

Even people who want to associate with a beloved attraction could find a spot like that in a queue or near the perimeter of the attraction, ya know? And you wouldn’t worry about them being swept away or discarded. It could be very low-key. The planters get replanted occasionally, but the soil is reused, so they stay where they were put.

But of course, I have no such directives.

No really… my will says, “Do what you want… I’ve moved on.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter