Excursions with an infant?

esmiles

Earning My Ears
We are sailing 7 days on the Fantasy in January stopping at Castaway, Tortola and St. Thomas. We will have our 11 month old in tow. I am fine with staying on the standard beach in Castaway and on the ship in one of these places, but would like to book an excursion on one of the Caribbean stops. Any recommendations on what to do with a 11 month old and 5 year old that isn't just ridiculously expensive? How do you handle transfers (thinking about car seats...)

We are sailing 7 days on the Fantasy in January stopping at Castaway, Tortola and St. Thomas. We will have our 11 month old in tow. I am fine with staying on the standard beach in Castaway and on the ship in one of these places, but would like to book an excursion on one of the Caribbean stops. Any recommendations on what to do with a 11 month old and 5 year old that isn't just ridiculously expensive? How do you handle transfers (thinking about car seats...)
If you take an excursion on a bus, there are no car seats. In fact, I don't think car seats are required in any of the islands, even for regular transportation.

If you take an excursion on a bus, there are no car seats. In fact, I don't think car seats are required in any of the islands, even for regular transportation.

I've done some duck boat tours and don't remember seat belts either. Kind of old school like when I was a kid and mom just held me in her lap.

When DS was under 2, we did a DCL beach excursion on one of those islands (I honestly don’t remember which) in order to avoid transportation issues as the excursion used a large bus. I would not travel any other way with an infant without a car seat. Sure, maybe you or I rode around without a car seat, but cars were made of actual metal and speed limits were lower. For us it’s not an issue of where car seats are required by law - it’s do we want to risk the safety of our child.

The DCL excursion was just ok - the beach was packed, the food was horrible, and we were constantly harassed by vendors walking by. So actually, the excursion was pretty horrible. YMMV. But the reality is that unless you personally are comfortable with no car seat in regular vehicles, DCL excursions by bus are likely your only option.

Now that DS is older, we have a travel car seat. We hop in a taxi (with seatbelts) and ask the driver to take us to whatever beach he recommends.

We took a taxi to Megan’s Beach in St Thomas when our son was little which was great. However the “taxi” is a pickup truck with bench seating in the back. There were three couples, including us, all holding babies on our laps. Car seats just aren’t really a thing there.

The only way around it, that I know, is to book a private car in advance that you know is car seat compatible. It that case you are talking a lot more money and then have to drag a car seat around.

These may have been affected by the hurricanes, but two years ago we went to the Old Government House in Tortola and the butterfly exhibit in St. Thomas, and both were easily accessible from the ship by foot.

I only feel comfortable transporting the baby on a bus designed for public transport (not a van) or by boat.We are pretty big sticklers for car safety even if it isn't the law. I suppose we will see if we can wait list the beach transfer that is by boat. Unfortunately most of the disney excursions that allow infants are sold out already :-( perhaps they may have more options available once we board

I only feel comfortable transporting the baby on a bus designed for public transport (not a van) or by boat.We are pretty big sticklers for car safety even if it isn't the law. I suppose we will see if we can wait list the beach transfer that is by boat. Unfortunately most of the disney excursions that allow infants are sold out already :-( perhaps they may have more options available once we board

I understand your concern- one other thing to note is that on several DCL excursions we’ve debarked to find that our transportation was a van and not a bus. In Cozumel at the dolphin swim we were actually given a taxi voucher to leave when we were ready. We did not know ahead of time what kind of transportation we would have.

Another option if you can’t find an excursion you’re comfortable with is to leave the baby in the nursery and enjoy an excursion with the older one (or make it a date and leave the older one in the Club too). We have done this and felt it was the better fit for a few excursions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter