• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exchanging expired tickets

gtpoohbear

DIS Veteran
I haven't been on disboards for eons... but maybe?? trying to plan a trip for this summer and hoping someone can help with a ticket dilemma...the related posts I found in a search are all at least a year old.

We have a set of 4 tickets (5-day, Max Pass, 1-park-per day) that we bought for a trip in April 2020. That trip obviously didn't happen, and we haven't been able to go since, and of course they are expired now. The tickets were purchased from a third party (not sure if I am allowed to say which one?) so from what I have gathered, we will have to visit a ticket booth in person to exchange them for current tickets.

We likely won't be able to take such a long trip this time - do the tickets we exchange for have to be 5-day tickets? Looking at prices online, 3-day tickets with G+ would cost about $200 more than what we paid for our original tickets - would we be able to make that swap? (Paying the difference, of course)

Also - any update on the ability to transfer park reservations made on expired tickets? The last posts I could find generally suggested that it was not possible, but a few people reported having had luck. Again, that was over a year ago. We could probably do the exchange a few days before our first park day, but being summer I'm not sure that would be good enough to get new reservations.

And, last question - assuming we exchange the tickets in person in August - what will the expiration date of the new tickets be? Will they have to be used by the end of 2023, or would we have all of 2024 to use them as well? If we're not able to get reservations, we could do something else in the area this year, and come back next summer for DL. But, not if we'll be dealing with the same expired tickets issue then as well.

Have you tried calling them. They may be able to apply the value of your expired tickets to your new purchase over the phone. There was a time they would not do this but some have reported being able to do this at WDW. I know Disneyland is different but these are different times we've gone through.

It's worth a shot.

I haven't been on disboards for eons... but maybe?? trying to plan a trip for this summer and hoping someone can help with a ticket dilemma...the related posts I found in a search are all at least a year old.

We have a set of 4 tickets (5-day, Max Pass, 1-park-per day) that we bought for a trip in April 2020. That trip obviously didn't happen, and we haven't been able to go since, and of course they are expired now. The tickets were purchased from a third party (not sure if I am allowed to say which one?) so from what I have gathered, we will have to visit a ticket booth in person to exchange them for current tickets.

We likely won't be able to take such a long trip this time - do the tickets we exchange for have to be 5-day tickets? Looking at prices online, 3-day tickets with G+ would cost about $200 more than what we paid for our original tickets - would we be able to make that swap? (Paying the difference, of course)

Also - any update on the ability to transfer park reservations made on expired tickets? The last posts I could find generally suggested that it was not possible, but a few people reported having had luck. Again, that was over a year ago. We could probably do the exchange a few days before our first park day, but being summer I'm not sure that would be good enough to get new reservations.

And, last question - assuming we exchange the tickets in person in August - what will the expiration date of the new tickets be? Will they have to be used by the end of 2023, or would we have all of 2024 to use them as well? If we're not able to get reservations, we could do something else in the area this year, and come back next summer for DL. But, not if we'll be dealing with the same expired tickets issue then as well.
I just recently had this same experience. We also had tickets from 2020 that we were not able to use (also purchased from a third party). When I called to make a room only reservation at DLH, I mentioned that we had these old 3 day park hoppers with Max Pass. She said, “ No problem! When we’re done here I’ll transfer you the proper department than can help you with that”. I was transferred, and the cast member was able to see my tickets (I had already linked them in 2020 to my account). She could see what I had paid for them, asked if I still wanted 3 day park hoppers. I decided against adding G+ at this time. She put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and said the difference was $80 for all 4 tickets! That seemed really low to me, I confirmed that they were park hoppers. She said yes! I gave her my cc number, and a short while later I got an email confirmation and could see the updated park hoppers on the app! I made park reservations, all good!

I purchased a 2 day ticket for a visit that never happened in 2022 on the DL site and more than a year later couldn't find the information for the ticket anywhere. I called Disney and they were able to find it and apply the amount to a new ticket.

IMO, I'd call Disney first, then the third party vendor if Disney can't make it happen.

For the call, I expected a long wait, but I waited longer for her to add on a Park Hopper than I did to speak with someone.

In February I exchange a 2020 3-day park hopper with Maxpass at the ticket booth. The value of the old ticket was $5 more than the current price of a 3-day park hopper, so I was credited the price and bought a 4-day hopper. The new ticket expires 1/12/2025. So, if you're not able to exchange with a phone call and need to go to the ticket booth, you'll have over a year to use them.

Take them to one of the Ticket booths at the DLR resort and you will receive the full value paid on the original tickets to be applied to future tickets. I was in the same boat, and was told, FULLY unused tickets, will keep the original value until they are traded in for future tickets. Alas, they will not give you like for like tickets

I just exchanged expired tickets from 2020 about two weeks ago for an upcoming trip in June. I had four tickets that were purchased directly from Disney and one ticket that was purchased third-party. I called Disneyland ticketing directly and they were able to exchange them all over the phone. The expired tickets were 5-day park hoppers and I exchanged them for 4-day park hoppers. There was no problem as long as the new value was more than the old value (they’re not going to refund money). The old value was $395 and the new value was $455 so I had to pay the difference of $60/ticket which I was able to do over the phone with a credit card. New tickets showed up in my account on the app within a few minutes and I was able to make park reservations. Easy-peasy!

When we couldn't use our 2020 tickets we have them refund them. Took a while but they eventually refunded in full all our 6 tickets we had. I did not want them holding onto my money for however long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter