• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exchanging currency in Costa Rica

Bobo912

DIS Veteran
What is the best way to exchange your dollars for colones? Is it easiest just to use an ATM? If your bank card is on the Cirrus network, will that work in most places? Where are ATMs located - do they have them in the hotels? I know this has been discussed somewhere on the forum in the past, so I apologize for asking so many questions, but the forum search function doesn't work very well. Are there many occasions when you actually need colones? What did you use them for - souveniers or what? Is it better to tip the guides in US currency or colones? Thanks in advance for any help.

We just got back July 19th. Don't worry much about exchanging money.
Everyone took US dollars except Children’s Museum that we visited because we arrived a day early. If you still feel the need to there are ATM’s at the mall across from hotel in San Jose. . Also hotels will exchange money.

Thanks, kd1katz. I don't really want to have to deal with denominations of money that I don't understand. :scared1: I've heard from an aquaintance who have a vacation home in Costa Rica that many of the businesses that accept US currency are much more expensive than the ones that don't, because they cater to tourists, I suppose. We're not arriving ahead of time, so I don't really expect to have an opportunity to visit any shops or restaurants frequented by the locals. There isn't much time where you're on you on, is there? BTW...If there's anything you would like to share about your adventure, I would love to hear it! We're leaving on Sunday.

The best advice I can give you is to sit back and be ready to be pampered. Everything is taking care of. This is a no worries trip. There is free time on certain days so make the most of it. The walk back from town along the pacific coast (while others were stuck in traffic) was filled with fun adventures.
And trust the guides the monkeys will steal what ever is unattended.
Really, just have fun.

have to mention 1 more thing. The day we arrived at Hotel Arenal Kioro my group was tired. Had one tired 4 year old with us! After touring and driving all day then a welcome dinner with local dancers, all I could thing of was going to sleep. Then our guides said they thought we should go for a ride. It was around 9 in the evening what could be worth going for a ride. Just do it I don’t want to spoil any surprises. If weather permits no matter how tired just get in the bus and go.

Thanks for the info, kd1katz. I'm so excited! I know this is going to be such a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter