Exchange rate at all time low

Unless it's changed since 2018, Disney accumulates all charges on the Magic Band, etc, and you settle the balance with your card at the end of the stay. So that's when it would get charged. (I'd expect Universal to be the same.)
I imagine one could make interim payments, but that would be a nuisance.

But if it's different now and Disney 'cashes up' every day, then it'll be similar to using a card directly.
Ah! I didn’t realise that’s how you were charging things. Sorry!

Once you have the ticket, no problem.
Possible hitches to buy them - worst case scenario:
AT system baulks at your USA address, even though you are connected from UK.
If you then use friends UK address your card company might baulk at the mismatch.
Ultimately you might have to get your friends to buy it and repay them.
Basically try it and see.
:earsgirl: Thanks

On top of that from what I'm seeing Disney is certainly testing their idea of pricing up till the pips squeak. Many food increases (though with inflation and supply chain issues there might be a little justification - if they weren't already high) and now Genie+ is on surge pricing.
I'm glad I bought G+ in advance and won't have to buy each day (or not) at maybe $20 a shot (potentially $280).

i'm so glad we were able to buy genie+ in advance. It lessened some of the stress. A little.

Actually the surge pricing goes up to $22 PLUS TAX. So that's probably over $23.
In fact, this weekend, genie+ was $22 (plus tax) and rise of the resistance was also $22 (plus tax).

rise of the resistance was also $22 (plus tax).
Yes, that +tax in the US is a bummer.
It's a little worrying that I'm possibly looking forward more to my flights than staying at WDW - at least they are paid up front and all inclusive with no queues (by Disney standards) :cool1:

Just need to stay sober enough to use the Lyft app to get to the hotel ...

Unless it's changed since 2018, Disney accumulates all charges on the Magic Band, etc, and you settle the balance with your card at the end of the stay. So that's when it would get charged. (I'd expect Universal to be the same.)
I imagine one could make interim payments, but that would be a nuisance.

But if it's different now and Disney 'cashes up' every day, then it'll be similar to using a card directly.

Check this at the desk when you check-in, if it matters to you, I'm sure I remember seeing some time ago that they now put a hold on, say, $200 on your credit card, and when your spend reaches that value they then charge it straight away, then put another hold on.

The first time I went, I paid off the whole account with cash on checkout. The second time, I got caught out because they charged the card the night before checkout. The third time, I paid off the balance so far with cash every 2 or 3 days. That was all assuming I'd converted cash at a good rate beforehand or had cash left over from previous trips. I've still got a lot from before covid changed the money landscape.

Last edited:
Check this at the desk when you check-in, if it matters to you, I'm sure I remember seeing some time ago that they now put a hold on, say, $200 on your credit card, and when your spend reaches that value they then charge it straight away, then put another hold on.

The first time I went, I paid off the whole account with cash on checkout. The second time, I got caught out because they charged the card the night before checkout. The third time, I paid off the balance so far with cash every 2 or 3 days. That was all assuming I'd converted cash at a good rate beforehand or had cash left over from previous trips. I've still got a lot from before covid changed the money landscape.
Err
OMG
Add that to the fluctuating XR and ... :crazy:

Maybe I'll just worry about it when the CC bill arrives.
For excitement 2 weeks in Orlando just can't compete with 2 days in UK politics at present.
Maybe I should stay at home :confused3

Thank you! Yes... US citizen planning late 2023 trip to WDW. Staying long term with friends in UK thru early 2023... so I considered whether I'd be able to purchase that 14-day tix as an option while in UK but use after I return to USA.

I purchased 14 day tickets in late September from AttractionTickets with a US credit card and US billing address and had no problems getting the etickets. You can do it in the US or UK - attractiontickets doesn’t restrict you. In the unlikely situation where u have trouble adding it to MDE, just log in to UK Disney (with your US MDE login ) and add it there.

Err
OMG

For excitement 2 weeks in Orlando just can't compete with 2 days in UK politics at present.

What will be will be, I'll find out when the bill comes in afterwards... cavalier attitude I know, but there's enough to plan and think of before going out there, and whilst one is out there too, so I'll let that be a surprise for after-holiday me!! Eeeeek!

Err
OMG

I was in the IOW last week with no wifi in our cabin. So had a lot of catching up to do when i got home.. tbh it was kind of nice.

I know how you feel - I am crossing my fingers and toes for you that the fiscal update does something good to the markets and BOE holds off on the interest rates.

Depending how this goes - depends really on whether i am going to cancel come Jan.

Now the energy price guarantee has dropped and if mortgage rates dont stabilise a little - i am looking at an instance increase on our bills once our fixed ends in April. Although most of it is paid for - I just have to really think about whether I can justify it. Might need to hold off until 2025 unfortunately.

Now the energy price guarantee has dropped and if mortgage rates dont stabilise a little
Yes, although the XR may flick up and down a lot I think it's unlikely to go far from current levels for a while. But those other factors plus Disney's pricing strategy probably make the XR almost irrelevant for most people.

Next year's more general holiday bookings will be kicking off in earnest about now if not already, so I expect we'll get some feedback soon from travel agents, etc, about how they are looking.

I was in the IOW last week with no wifi in our cabin. So had a lot of catching up to do when i got home.. tbh it was kind of nice.

I know how you feel - I am crossing my fingers and toes for you that the fiscal update does something good to the markets and BOE holds off on the interest rates.

Depending how this goes - depends really on whether i am going to cancel come Jan.

Now the energy price guarantee has dropped and if mortgage rates dont stabilise a little - i am looking at an instance increase on our bills once our fixed ends in April. Although most of it is paid for - I just have to really think about whether I can justify it. Might need to hold off until 2025 unfortunately.

I have no trouble in justifying a 2wk holiday 'in the bubble' it's just a touch more financially worrying these days!!! We head out next month and it would be nice to have a better XR, but I'm not going to not go because the XR is rubbish. It just costs more on top of what they're now charging (which is a lot I know!)... memories are priceless, and time spent with my family out there overrides my ongoing financial fear about it... just think of the magic, just think of the magic, just think of the price of dining, no think of the magic :-)

I purchased 14 day tickets in late September from AttractionTickets with a US credit card and US billing address and had no problems getting the etickets. You can do it in the US or UK - attractiontickets doesn’t restrict you. In the unlikely situation where u have trouble adding it to MDE, just log in to UK Disney (with your US MDE login ) and add it there.
Thanks for this...Can I ask if you've used them yet?

You'll have to follow events from your hotel room!
Fortunately not now :)
First Asian and youngest for [edit] 200 years. Historic moment.
And the exchange rate is up a bit I think, though still not great. Hopefully it'll settle a bit more now - until Halloween anyway.

Last edited:
1.12 can't make this up anymore.

I am not going to lie. I'd rather this than the alternative of a 5% base rate though.

Can always cancel the holiday if it gets too bad. Can't really cancel the house.

Funny though that my interest rates for my savings account are still sitting at 0.25% though......

1.12 can't make this up anymore.

I am not going to lie. I'd rather this than the alternative of a 5% base rate though.

Can always cancel the holiday if it gets too bad. Can't really cancel the house.

Funny though that my interest rates for my savings account are still sitting at 0.25% though......
Yeah, we’re going to be squeezed on everything next 2 years with inflation and these tax rises coming. My fixed mortgage ends Mar 2024 and that will be painful to renew just when kids go to Uni, think I’ll need 2 or 3 jobs!
Btw Loads better savings out there, just go to moneysavingexpert or similar to compare

Yeah, we’re going to be squeezed on everything next 2 years with inflation and these tax rises coming. My fixed mortgage ends Mar 2024 and that will be painful to renew just when kids go to Uni, think I’ll need 2 or 3 jobs!
Btw Loads better savings out there, just go to moneysavingexpert or similar to compare
ours ends april so we are going to hit with energy bills increase, plus mortgage increase on pretty much the same day!
This is why I'm not cancelling this trip.. pretty much digging my head in the ground and pretending it isn't happening at the moment.
We will just have to wait and see...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter