Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have everything setup and linked in MDE. Resort, Magic Bands, Park tickets, PIN set, Magical Express set. Is that it? Can I just run for the parks when I get there? Do I have to "activate" the park passes? What about charging? When will that start?

I have everything setup and linked in MDE. Resort, Magic Bands, Park tickets, PIN set, Magical Express set. Is that it? Can I just run for the parks when I get there? Do I have to "activate" the park passes? What about charging? When will that start?

Not really a magicband question and you might want to start a thread to get a better up to date answer...

At one point, nothing worked until you were official checked in, that means you know your room number. You may need to stop at guest relations to have whatever can be activated in advanced turned on (tickets, dining). room charges I don't think work until you have a room for the charges to go to. MDE does drop you off next to the front desk to quickly inquire if needed. your probably going to want to have the resort store your carryons anyhow.

Ok, right now I am a little frustrated, I just received my Magic Bands today, and the one for my
DGS, isn't the one I ordered. I ordered him the Storm Trooper one and the one I received
was plain old gray, and I know he will be very disappointed... Is there anything I can do? We leave in 24 days.

Ok, right now I am a little frustrated, I just received my Magic Bands today, and the one for my
DGS, isn't the one I ordered. I ordered him the Storm Trooper one and the one I received
was plain old gray, and I know he will be very disappointed... Is there anything I can do? We leave in 24 days.

Call up disney, they are pretty quick at fixing problems.

Ok, I just want to say thank you, I spent 55 minutes on the phone with a few Disney agents
and in the end, I was able to get my DGS Star Wars magic band. I ended the conversation
with 2 agents and in tears, happy tears. Every agent and supervisor were amazing and truly
they were spreading Disney magic to me..pixiedust:pixiedust:.Each time I was put on hold, Disney Music was
filling my soul and like I said, I ended the phone call, with joy and exited. Thank you accident
for suggesting to call.....:yay::thanks:

Everything about the MagicBand

View attachment 149844

There is 2 versions of this information. This post is a Q&A detailing just about anything you might want to know. Scroll down to the second post for a bullet point style quick information version of the basic things you need to know.

Information for everyone

Q: What is a MagicBand?

A: A MagicBand is something you wear on your wrist (or hide in your bag) that replaces all the features of the plastic ticket, room key, room charges, photopass card, meal plan, basically everything.

It's not required but read the sections below depending on where you’re staying for more information on why you might want it.

Q: Are MagicBands Waterproof? What about latex allergies?

A: Magicbands are waterproof and no need to worry, they will even function correctly in the pools and waterparks so no need to remove them.

The only mention of allergies is on the disney mom's panel website where it is said they are hypoallergetic and people with latex allergies do not need to worry. I personally have a friend with a sensative latex allergy and she had no issues wearing a magicband.

Q: I/my child(ren) have really small wrists, will it fit them.

A: Yes, the band is 2 pieces and you can remove the border to make it smaller. They come with instructions on how to do this. Be careful, once you make it smaller you cannot make it larger again without replacing it.

If you look at the first picture above, you'll notice the yellow MagicBand on the left is setup for the smaller size. This picture is also the current free bands for resort guest choices.

View attachment 149857

Q: I want the MagicBand but I hate wearing things on my wrist?

A: Put it in your bag and it will work for all ride photos/videos. Request a card at the resort you can use for all other needs. (also see accessories below, the sell some that you put your band on).

I am the same way and I begged guest services to please sell me an overpriced key chain. Their response was positive and they were already looking into future non-wrist designs. I have considered modifying mine but with security these days, I don't want to risk it.

Q: I used a MagicBand before; I found it really stiff and uncomfortable.

A: Disney has made them thinner than the first couple years. They do flex around your wrist better now.

UPDATE: Disney has recently submitted new band designs to the FCC for approval. From the description of the public available paperwork, the center bump with the mickey head is going to be thinner in the future.

Q: What does it cost?

A: Onsite guests get one for free with a limited selection of solid colors (shown in first photo). See below for more information in the onsite resort guest section.

Disney also sells many more styles and they tend to range from $14.95-$34.95 for most. Solid colors are lowest cost, effects bands are the highest.

Q. How long does a MagicBand last?

A. Although the MagicBand should last forever for touching Mickey Heads (doors, FP+ queues, point-of-sale terminals), the long-range wireless is powered by a battery which should be good for at least a year, maybe two or three. This means you'll miss out on ride photos and other enhanced experiences that rely on the long-range function. Cast Members will tell you up to 2 years, some have found they needed to replace it after 1 year.

(Geek note: the long range wireless is filed with the FCC an indoor industrial infrastructure operating at 2.4Ghz ISM band. The receivers filed with FCC do indicate it is 2 way communication. )

Q: I have an Implanted Pacemakers or Cardioverter-Defibrillators.

A: Read the Disney FAQ about their RF technology before deciding to use/get a MagicBand. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/

Q: I'm on the fence about getting one, convince me to buy it.

A: This entire thread is about getting you up to speed on what a MagicBand is, you need to make that choice.

Q: Am I missing out not having one?

A: No. You are going to see a lot of people wearing and using them all day long. You know yourself and your traveling group best. If that might make you feel different or isolated in some way and take away from the inclusive escape from reality that Disney provides, then serious consideration should be taken if you should get them.

Q: I don't get a free one or want a different design, should I buy it before I arrive?

A: That is really up to you. The largest selection, especially the limited edition bands are only found on property. The cashier will activate and add it to your account when you buy it. I recommend you wait, anything you can find in your local Disney store can be found in the parks also.

Q: Where can I see the magic bands available?

A: The free bands for resort guests are in the first picture in this thread, more information on that in the Onsite Guests section below.

UPDATE: Purple was finally added to the list of free guest bands.

UPDATE: a special edition star wars themed effects magicband is included when you book your trip using the summer 2016 Awaken Summer Promotion.

To see all the different bands, accessories and anything that has existed(retired/sold out) or coming out (free and for sale) check out http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/

You can also see some of them in the "Shop Disneyparks" app available for your smart phone. If you have a tablet, it's a smartphone only app and you may need to adjust the app store to show you phone only apps to get it.

Q: I know exactly what band I'm after at the parks, is there any way to get it before I arrive?

A: On your smartphone, get the "shop Disney parks" app. Login with your my Disney experience account and search for it in the app. Some bands can be purchased and shipped directly to your house from the park. I've also found that most of what is in this app is also on amazon, so check there as well.

It's also a little known secret that you can call guest relations in the park that has it. They can get anything that in the park and ship it to you. If you call it's going to have a pricey service and shipping fee but a great way to get stuff only from the parks.

Q: I found what I want on eBay, is it safe to buy it there?

A: NO! MagicBands are not transferable.

Once they are activated, they only work for a specific person. Do not buy any MagicBands from questionable sellers or used if you want to use them in the parks. Of course if you’re collecting them and they have one you’re missing and you'll never use it on property, its normal do what you’re comfortable with.

Q: I decided to buy one on property, how do I move my fast passes?

A: The fastpasses will be safe and work with your new band. There is nothing for you to do, the fastpasses are linked to the person, not the magic band.

Q: I decided to buy one on property

A: Magicbands sold on property are not registered with the MyMagic+ system. This means they are useless until CM at the shop registers the band. During registration, the band must be activated using a ticket/MDE account or registered with "Link it Later"; which makes the band available for users to enter onto any MDE account at any time.

Request link it later if you want to add it to your MDE account later or have the cast member set it up for you right away, it only takes a few seconds.

Some bands cannot be setup as link it later. These are usually the highest priced, very limited seasonal bands. The bands that come out for MNSSHP and MVMCP are an example of this.

Q: I decided to buy one before arriving or ready to add it to my MDE account, how do I add it?

A: Just follow the instructions to add a band/card in MDE->MagicBand and Cards section. There is a unique number on the band. There are also instructions that come with the band on how to do this.

Q: Do they stay on your wrist during fast rides? Do they stay on a small childs wrist?

A: Most guests will answer yes to this, they are strong.

It's rare but not unheard of for a story of it coming off on some ride or how they left the park to find their child was missing it. I wouldn't worry and if you’re concerned on any ride, put them in your pocket or bag during the ride.

For a really small child that is just exploring and getting into everything, keep an eye on it. It's doubtful they will pull it off but you never know!

Q: What do I do with it when we're done?

A: Room charges and meal plan will still work until midnight of check out day. While protected by a pin for those purchases, you can get a little added security by deactivating them in MDE from the website or even better the smartphone app when your finally no longer on property.

Some keep them as keep sake. Some want to be green and save them in case they take another trip so they don't need more. Some turn them into holiday tree garland. It's another keepsake of your trip. Of course you can just dispose of it if you want but remember it's electronics, please dispose of them responsibly.

Side tip: There is no official recycle policy as far as I can tell but some guests have been told they can recycle them with the hotel or guest relations.

Q: Is there anything I can use the MagicBand for that is not in the park?

A: YES! Disney Infinity has exclusive content that can be unlocked with any MagicBand. It doesn't need to be your MagicBand so you can just borrow one from someone or loan out your MagicBand so they can unlock their content.

Q: Can I decorate my band?

A: yes, but be careful of the area that mickey appears. You need to touch mickey to use it while at the park. Stickers or coloring over mickey seems to be fine.

Some examples can be found in this very long thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/ha...ic-bands-please-show-us-the-pictures.3190181/

Q: Does Disney sell any accessories?

A: Of course, Disney likes our money!

There is a large variety of things to attach to your MagicBand all over the resorts, parks and even in your local Disney store. The largest selection is in the parks and you can't miss them. most are in a form of a slider that goes onto the band. There are some accessories like a mickey hand that clips onto your bag/person and the hand wears your MagicBand for you.

View attachment 149848 View attachment 149850

Q: Are there any unofficial accessories?

A: Yes, there are some groups that sell accessories. http://www.magicyourband.com/ carries the dis overlays (they run this forum) and sometimes you'll see special for charity versions.

Q: Can I design my own band?

A: Visit the MagicBand on Demand station inside the Tomorrowland Light & Power Co. location near Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom Park was the only location.

UPDATE: CO-OP at disney springs now offers design your own MagicBands

Q: I saw someone with a slider that had a year, where do I get that one?

A: This is an accessory that is sent to annual pass holders with their MagicBand. It has no value and just a way to show their annual pass Disney side. You must purchase or upgrade to an annual pass to get one. There are special sliders for different things like DVC also.

View attachment 149842 View attachment 149849 View attachment 149847

Q: Are there any special MagicBands that only a limited group of people can purchase?

A: Yes, there is bands for DVC and many others. I have also seen accessories for D23 members. http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/ is a great source to look up any and all magicbands and a great news source to learn about new ones coming out.

Q: Is there any hidden perk to having them???

A: Funny you should ask. Disney can track the bands while you’re on property. There have been reports of people who had a mobile number in their MDE getting a txt when something unmagical happened. It was very common when they first started but even recent reports of this happen.

An example I recently heard, someone saw pirates was a 10 minute wait. When they got in line discovered it was much longer. Waited a little but had to leave for a dining reservation. They received a txt asking if the incorrect time impacted their ride. When they answered yes, another txt came over saying check your MDE app, we just sent you a use anywhere all day fast pass for the inconvenience. So big brother is watching but it's not always a bad thing .

Maks sure you read the section about parents, they can be used to reunite you with lost children!

Q: Someone in our group doesn't want to ride and we have an extra fast pass, can someone else use it?

A: This topic generally starts a debate but to be complete with information the answer is yes.

Q: In MDE, MagicBands and cards it shows active and a button to deactivate. Should I deactivate?

A: Up to you. The IT, techie, geeky security paranoid person that I am. If I'm not on property, I have it deactivated. I only keep the bands/cards I'm using active. If you report a MagicBand as lost or stolen, they will deactivate it for you and once found you need to re-activate it. You can do this from the website, MDE app or the normal cast members like front desk, concierge or guest relations.

Q: What happens if my band doesn't work when I go into the park?

A: Someone with a tablet magically appears in a few seconds when you’re having trouble getting into the park. They will attempt to help you for a couple minutes to reset the band and fix it up. Don't worry they deal with this every day and it's very painless and only takes an extra moment of your time to fix it up.

Q: My band isn't working right and nobody seems to be able to fix it.

A: Someone should have offered to put in an IT ticket to help you more. If not, give guest relations a call or stop by and ask them too. Someone will take a look at the system and get back to you, it may not be quick but it will be the same day. I personally once ran into this and to stop the anxiety, we just purchased a new one and it worked perfectly. When they finally called, I explained how it didn't work and we purchased a new one and it's perfect now. Disney refunded us and we got a free special edition MagicBand!

Q: I saw someone in magic kingdom making special things happen with their MagicBand, why doesn't mine?

A: Sign up at the Main Street Firehouse or at the outpost behind Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. It's an interactive game only found at the magic kingdom and they will explain it and unlock your bands to join in. The band is not required and it's no additional charge. Search online, there's a lot of information and it's a really interesting way to explore magic kingdom with this trading card/interactive game.

Q: I saw someone with a MagicBand that lit up and made noises when they used it. The mickey even changed to different colors than green or red.

A: There are some extremely limited edition effects MagicBands. They are not readily available. And example of these were sold at Star Wars weekends and were the limited edition light saber MagicBands. It would make light saber noises, say something and the mickey would change colors to match your band instead of the normal green for go, red for stop.

Q: How do I use my band for fast pass?

A: When you reach the ride at your fast pass+ time, you just use your band in the fast pass line and head on in. Most rides there is a second check just before the ride to make sure nobody is being sneaky and really has one. If you opt to not use a MagicBand, your plastic ticket will be used instead. There is an Everything Fastpass forum for much more information on getting fast passes and above the scope of this Q&A.

BREAKING NEWS: Some attractions only have 1 fastpass+ scan point at the start of the line. This is a trial disney is doing for a possible future change to remove the second scan terminal.

View attachment 149845

Q: We didn't claim our ride photo but later in the app/website we saw us on the ride! Was this the MagicBand?

A: Yes, the MagicBand automatically links your ride photos and video to your photopass account.

Q: Do you need to wear it on the ride for your photopass photo to work?

A: No. I've left it in my bag that was with me and got the photos without an issue. This can be a tricky answer as it signals wirelessly with the ride so if you happen to store it somewhere that the signal is blocked, you wouldn't know until after the ride that it didn't work.

Q: I'm traveling with someone and we have linked MDE accounts, can I see their photos linked with their magicband?

A: Yes, however they need give you permission to do this (and vice versa for them to see you). This is beyond the scope of this Q&A but information on how to link mde accounts is readily available.

Q: I'm thinking of taking a tour, is there anything special I need to know?

A: Yes. The VIP Ultimate Thrills tour is riding all the best rides and you exit/enter backstage to speed up getting to rides when you change parks. VIP services needs to take your band to swipe them for insurance reasons to say your in the park. Get a card or bring an old MagicBand and give them that and wear your newer magic band for ride photos. Without it, your going to keep slowing down the group to have a ride operating find and put the photo into your account. If your ahead of schedule, there is opportunity to ride things multiple times in a row, it's good to make sure your not the one slowing things down.

To my knowledge there is no other tour or service where this might happen.

Information specific to anyone with disabilities.

Everyone in the disabilities forum works hard to keep all information about being in disney with a disability up to date. The disability forum is the best place for information, questions and thing related to visiting with a disability.

The best place for anyone with a disability to start is the FAQ thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

That will help you find out everything you know, including magic bands and how they work with disability options at Disney.

Information specific to anyone traveling with children.

Q: Can a childs band do everything the adults band can?

A: Yes. If you want to place any restrictions like no room charges, talk to the front desk or concierge. Everyone will have the same pin code as you put on the MDE account.

This has been changing a lot lately, you may find things are different and talk to the front desk or concierge if you have any concerns about what your child can do with the MagicBand.

Unconfirmed: Some guests have recently reported they could adjust everyone pins code when they had a reservation in MDE. They gave everyone a unique pin in the magicbands and cards section and the option disappeared after their vacation. Front desk / concierge can also give unique pin codes if desired.

It's unclear if you can remove them from opening the gate at a pool, assume they can open it until you talk to the front desk. Disney has recently been installing gates at the resorts that require a card or magic band of someone staying at that resort to open.

SIDE TIP: Many use a gift card as a "this is your spending budget for the trip" to limit purchases, offer freedom, stop them from always asking can I get that and help teach money management.

Q: Will I be able to tell what my child/teen charged to the room?

A: Yes, all purchases come on the final bill itemized by MagicBand. If you had multiple credit cards, everyone will get their own statement of their charges to their cards (see resort section below for more information).

Q: Is a way to test that my child can make their own meal plan purchases?

A: Yes, every meal plan has a drink cup included. Let everyone activate their own cup and you'll quickly learn before it's a problem whose band is not working. Quickly get it fixed and try again.

SIDE TIPS: If your allowing room purchases, this is also a good way to test with a small purchase like a drink you can keep in the room or snack.

Also a good test for groups if anyone is on a linked MDE account in the same room.

I have successfully used this with my teen on several trips. She now has her own MDE account linked and takes no extra time for peace of mind that it works and an extra 5-10 minutes to fix it up. Just make it part of your "we made it" check into the resort routine.

Q: Can the MagicBand help if my child is lost?

A: Yes, Disney will scan their MagicBand, Call the mobile number in MDE and track exactly where you are in the park to quickly reunite you with your child. They can also track the child if needed (but cast members are awesome when it comes to a lost child so I doubt they will ever need to use this)

Information specific to multiple park tickets

Q: We purchased everyone a 5 day ticket, is this a multiple ticket?

A: No, this is a single ticket valid for 5 days (or however many days you got it for). The catch22 of this is if you have multiple trips with multiple multiday tickets. If more than 1 trip is paid in full and the tickets are valid, this is multiple tickets. Read on to ensure the correct multi-day ticket will get used.

Q: I have multiple trips booked and they all have different tickets, which will get used?

A: Disney ranks the tickets in a way they never mentioned to everyone, stop at guest relations just outside the park entrance before you use the tickets the first time and ask them to prioritize the tickets you want to use for that trip.

Q: I have an old ticket that is park hopper and new tickets for the remainder of the trip that are not park hoppers, which ticket will get used first?

A: Disney appears to rank the ticket so the park hopper is the first ticket used. Stop at guest relations located just outside the park before you use the ticket to prioritize and ensure the correct ticket will get used that day. When your ready for the day of your park hopper/old ticket, again stop by and make sure that ticket will be used before you go through the turn style.

Q: I have all different types of park tickets for 1 trip, which will get used?

A: Disney ranks the tickets in a way they never mentioned to everyone, stop at guest relations just outside the park entrance before you use the tickets the first time and ask them to prioritize the tickets you want to use for that trip. Anytime you want to use a different ticket for a specific day and have multiple valid, you should stop by first.

Side tip: while asking priority, ask what it would cost to upgrade all the tickets you have to an annual pass. Not only might you get money back but there is 10% merchandise and dining discounts that may save you even more money even if it costs more to upgrade the tickets.

Story Tellers custom features around WDW.

There is a feature of the magic band where they are starting to customize your park experience by scanning your band over the air. Right now it seems limited to some rides and here is my best attempt at listing what I know..

Parks:

Magic Kingdom:
- Haunted Mansion: The ghosts will list your name or your state/country at the end of the ride when they join you.
- Small World: Screens at the end of the ride identify you as part of the small world.
- Space Mountain: Tv screens on your ride while going up on the people mover after the ride will list your name with a saying. (once you see those screens, the ones where there is a camera showing people going past, stop walking, stand near each other and have a camera ready, it might be a distant screen with your name).

Hollywood Studios:
- Rock and Roller Coaster: screens at the end of the ride add your name to the signs (I think, screens yes, what they show I'm not sure).
- Tower of Terror supposively has something so watch out for it.

Animal Kingdom:
- when in line for expedition everest, both standby and fastpass (not single rider) there is screens when you reach the final room that you can see the ride loading. The screens look like advertisement posters and scroll between several of them. if you pay attention your name might be the person being quoted in the ad.

Epcot:
- Mission Space uses your name and hometown during the ride.

Resorts:

Art of Animation:
- The Lobby Posters personalize to your family.

Information specific to Onsite Visitors (someone staying at a Disney resort (campgrounds included) but *NOT* Swan and Dolphin)

Q: How much is a MagicBand?

A: Every onsite guest on the reservation will get 1 free MagicBand.

Q: Do I need a MagicBand?

A: YES! And NO! Disney will give any guest a hard card if you ask. However, there are a couple things you must have the MagicBand for. See "Q: What do I not get if I don’t get a MagicBand?" in the offsite section for what those are.

Q: What does the MagicBand do?

A: It's your room key, your ticket, your meal plan (if you purchased one), Charging to your room, your fast pass+, your photo pass and for annual pass holders, it can be used to look up your pass for discounts if needed.

View attachment 149843 View attachment 149849View attachment 149852

Q: WHAT?!?! People can charge to my room if they get my band or use my meal plan?

A: NO! There is a pin code that you must enter for any meal or room charges

Q: Does everyone get the same pin code?

A: Yes, everyone will start off with the same pin code as the MDE account holder if it is setup in MDE ahead of time. If your traveling with people that have different MDE accounts that are linked together, everyone starts off with the pin code in the MDE account they are with.

Confused? If you have an MDE account with your spouse, you both have the pin from that account. If you also have family or friends in the room and they have their own mde and not on yours, they start with the pin on their account. If there is no pin, you'll need to setup one at the front desk or concierge when you arrive if you have a meal plan or want to charge to the room. A pin is not needed for anything else.

Q: Can everyone have a different pin?

A: Yes, front desk or concierge can set up different pins for each MagicBand.

Unconfirmed: Some guests have recently reported they can setup different pins in MDE under MagicBands or cards. The option only appeared before their trip and disappeared after the trip. It sounds like you need a valid upcoming reservation to see it.

Q: What can you charge to the room?

A: Just about everything.

Things known that require cash: Balloons on main street, shooting gallery in MK, some carts that sell light up things that come out at night and go into the crowd, all arcades in resorts and MK, laundry soap (if purchased in the laundry room, you can purchase in gift shop with magicband). Penny Machines. With the exception of dining, anything you might tip requires cash. VIP Tour guides, House Keeping, Bell Services, etc.

Things known that require a credit card: Washers and Dryers in the laundry rooms.

SIDE TIP: If you want to see if your laundry is done or a machine is available, check out http://www.laundryview.com/disneyworld/

Q: I have special needs with room charges, different cards, need to use cash or a gift card, I want to stop my kids from doing things, I'm traveling with a group and need my own credit cards...

A: Disney has a wide variety of options for room charges. They are all setup at the front desk or concierge and stop in to let them know what you need, there is a lot of options and they will help get you exactly what you need with room charges..

A short list of some options:
- Different credit cards
- Hard limits on card charges
- Opening a folio account with cash or gift cards
- Different pins and deactivating specific magic bands from charging
- Different limits for each magic band.
- different people charging to different cards
- a backup credit card for charges when setting up with another method.
- etc etc etc etc.

Tip: The best thing to do is take the time to stop at the front desk to ensure room charges are setup exactly how your traveling party needs. Tell them what your trying to do and they will help make it happen..

Tip: If your traveling with others and have your own linked MDE account. Your own pin and credit card in MDE will be used for room charges, even if you did not make the reservation. This can also be used to setup different cards ahead of time but again can be confusing so call the front desk from the room or stop by the desk to ensure it's all going to work as you expect. It's much faster to ask if it's correct then to go over the fixing it later mess.

Q: Do I need the MagicBand for anything else at the resort?

A: Yes. If driving, you may need to show or use your MagicBand to get enter the resort parking lot (you'll also need it for other resorts your driving too for an ADR or other reason).

Disney has been installing fences around resort pools, you use your magicband to get into the pool.

Laundry rooms as well as some other restricted areas depending on what type of room you have may also require a magicband to get to.

All options also work with a card and magicband is not required.

Q: How do I customize my MagicBand? (pick my color/add my name)

A: Go into your My Disney Experience account on the Disney website. If there is no link to customize your bands, check the MagicBands and card section. You must have them customized 1 month before you arrive, they will automatically ship arriving 2-3 weeks before you get there. It will say on the website what date is your last chance to customize.

Q: What choices do I have?

A: As of the last update, the color choices for free magic bands are grey, blue, green, orange, yellow, red, purple and pink. Grey is the only color choice if you don't customize or disney replaces your band while your on property.

UPDATE: a special edition star wars themed effects magicband is included when you book your trip using the summer 2016 Awaken Summer Promotion.

UPDATE: there is reports of failing to customize/pick any color (including grey) may result in having to check in at the resort front desk and they will give you non-customized magicbands. At the moment it is assumed they are grey but no confirmation any of this update is accurate, just a heads up.

Q: I booked my trip over the phone or with someone else, I don't have a my Disney experience account. Can I still customize my MagicBands?

A: YES! Make yourself an account on the Disney website. After you make it, you can use your reservation number, confirmation numbers, etc. to link all your room(s), ticket(s), ADR (diner reservations) to it. Once your room is linked, the bands and option to customize will appear.

Q: What can you customize?

A: You can pick from several colors and have everyone's name or nickname on the inside of their band. Everyone can match or have a different band; the name on them will make it easy to figure out which child they belong too.

Q: What if I don't customize them?

A: You'll get a gender neutral grey band mailed to you for everyone on the reservation.

UPDATE: there is reports of failing to customize/pick any color (including grey) may result in having to check in at the resort front desk and they will give you non-customized magicbands. At the moment it is assumed they are grey but no confirmation any of this update is accurate, just a heads up.

Q: I really don't want the MagicBands, I plan to buy a different design when I get there, I have too many already or will get a card when I get there, do I need to get them?

A: No, there is an option to opt out of MagicBands found in the customize MagicBand section.

Q: Where is this opt out option I can't find it?

A: There are situations where it may not appear, you will need to call if you want to opt out and the option isn't appearing.

Q: I'm booking a split stay in multiple resorts/rooms; I get a MagicBand for each hotel?

A: Yes, you can call and they will help you opt out and only receive one if you don't want them all or any. All bands will work the entire trip (and future trips) so you don't need to keep track of what band is for what hotel. The band is for the person, not the hotel room.

Q: I am an international traveler heading to WDW and will not be home 2-3 weeks before I arrive to get my bands?

A: Last time I checked, International Guests pick up their magic bands at the resort. You can still fully customize them so don't forget to take care of that a month before you arrive.

Q: Our group lives in all different places / some of our group is arriving before the person who booked the room and gets the magic bands?

A: Call up Disney, they will take care of your groups specific needs. You also receive them about 3 weeks before you arrive, you do have time to priority mail them to everyone if you wanted to handle it that way.

Q: I purchased a MagicBand on property as link it later and I cannot get into my room, use my meal plan or charge to my room. I already linked it to my MDE on my own.

A: In this scenario, only the park options will work with the band. You need to stop by the front desk or concierge to activate the room features. Keep the old band handy and stop at the front desk on the way back to your resort or when you wake up the next morning.

Side tip: If you used online check in and you linked it prior to getting a room number, the band will immediately work for everything. However, if you activated your tickets and meal plan with guest relations while waiting for your room it may not.

Q: I did online check in and purchased a new band in a park while waiting for my txt message with room number, why did my new MagicBand work for resort features?

A: Check in is when Disney has assigned you a room number. Bands purchased and linked to your MDE before you get a room number are before check in and will activate for all features with no additional steps on your part.

Q: What should I expect when they ship? (US residents)

A: After the date listed to customize, the option to customize will go away. Once they ship, generally 1-3 days later you'll get an email and a notice on MDE that they shipped and a tracking number. Notices in MDE are a red circle with how many there are, just click on the red circle, it'll stand out if you have a notice. The shipping process takes approximately 10 days to receive them but can be longer (2-3 more days) around holidays.

Q: What should I expect when they ship? (NON-US residents)

A: Most countries, disney will not ship too and it will be clear in MDE if you need to pick them up at the resort. You still get to customize them so don't forget to take care of that. If they do ship, it will be roughly the same 10 days to get them. I haven't heard of any international shipments lately but this is what happened in the past.

Q: It's close to arriving and my magic bands haven't arrive!!!

A: First off, don't panic. Disney will make sure you get magicbands! You need to contact Disney. This is the official FAQ link on this subject for what to do. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/fulfillment-status/

Q: How does room charges and meal plan work?

A: When you go to make a charge or purchase a meal, you will scan your MagicBand and then put in your pin code. If it's for food, they will ask if you want to use a meal plan. Don't worry if it's confusing, every cast member taking your order or money knows how it works and will guide you through the process. Don't be shy and ask questions if needed.

View attachment 149849

Q: Can each person have their own pin?

A: If your group has multiple linked MDE accounts, everyone will have the pin from their account. If your family is all under 1 MDE account, you can request a different pin for each person at the front desk or concierge. Everyone on the same MDE account starts with the pin on that account if there is one.

Q: How do I know how many meal credits I have?

A: Not really a MagicBand question, but the receipt *MAY* tell you. I say may because it has changed a few times lately and this is the MagicBand thread. Disney mails a lot of information on how your meal plan works and you can ask any cast member working in a food role or front desk/concierge.

Q: How do I setup room charges?

A: If you’re not at the resort yet, in MDE check your profile. Make sure you have a credit card and a pin code. If you are at the resort, stop by the front desk or concierge.

Q: How do I setup my meal plan?

A: If you’re not at the resort yet, in MDE check your profile. Make sure you have a pin code. If you are at the resort, stop by the front desk or concierge.

Q: I'm traveling with several people and we all have linked MDE accounts. The room is under my account, can they charge to my room?

A: NO. But if you want them to, you'll need to talk to the front desk or concierge to activate them for room privileges. You will have to do this for every future trip, it does not stay on when the reservations ends.

Q: I'm traveling with several people and we all have linked mde accounts. The Meal plan was purchased on my account, how do they purchase food on their plan?

A: You *MAY* need to stop by concierge or the front desk to activate their meal plan. Everyone gets a free drink cup on the meal plan, the first thing we do is let everyone activate their own cup. If someone doesn't work, we quickly head to concierge/front desk and fix them up.

Q: What happens if my band doesn't work suddenly?

A: Don't worry. If their room keys related, just have someone else open the door and call the front desk. I can't tell you how many times I've left my band in the room or how many stories of everyone but the baby didn't have them and it was a highlight of the trip for the youngest to let everyone back in. If you’re alone, just head to the front desk or closest concierge if it's one of the really huge resorts. Also the really large resorts like CBR have phones around, especially at the bus stops to call the front desk instead of walk all the way over.

Q: I'm really paranoid, it needs to always work and my vacation is ruined if it doesn’t.

A: You should stop at the front desk to also get a card to have as a backup you can keep in your pocket/wallet. You can also have more than 1 MagicBand if you have any from previous trips or want to buy any while there. It's very rare to hear a new band stopped working.

Q: Why do you keep saying front desk or concierge?

A: Some resorts are huge and have a concierge near the food/gift shops. You don't always need to go all the way to the front desk for help

Q: I'm taking Disney’s Magical Express and my luggage will be delivered to my room, where do I pack our MagicBands?

A: CARRY THEM ON THE PLANE! You can use your MagicBand to check into magical express. Also your luggage will not arrive the same time you do. You might not see your luggage until late at night and your MagicBand is everything.

Q: OMG, I packed the MagicBands in my luggage and taking Disney’s Magical Express.

A: Don’t worry, you can check into Disney’s Magical Express without it. You can also stop by the front desk when you arrive and request cards until the luggage is delivered later and you can get your MagicBands.

Information specific to Offsite Visitors (someone *NOT* staying at a Disney Resort including Swan and Dolphin)

Q: Do I need a MagicBand?

A: No

Q: What do I not get if I don’t get a MagicBand?

A: There are several rides that give you a personal video of you riding them. You must have a MagicBand for this video to appear in your photo pass account. Also Seven Dwarves Mine Train and Frozen Forever still photo while riding requires a MagicBand. In the future this list is expected to get larger.

Q: Do I get the other ride photos without a magicband?

A: Yes, after the ride there is video screens. Just find your picture and tap your plastic ticket to claim the photo. There is no cost to claim photos, but there might be a cost to download the photo.

Q: Do I still get fast pass+ without a magicband?

A: Yes, you'll use your plastic ticket in the fast pass line instead of a MagicBand.

Q: Can I use the photo pass photographers without a magicband?

A: Yes, you'll use your plastic ticket with the photographer to claim your photo. Taking/claiming a photo is free, downloading them may not be.

Q: Can I use the photo booths without a magicband?

A: Yes, you'll use your plastic ticket to claim your photos. Printed copies and downloading later may have a fee but taking the photo is free.

Q: What else does it get me?

A: It's convenience. Because it's on your wrist, it's right there to tap when it's time to use it. For a larger family, everyone having it on their wrist can be a time saver, for others, it's just an added expense.

Q: I have a friend/relative who has a magicband, can I use that for my trip?
A: No, Magicbands are linked to the person and only that person can use that band. You'll need to purchase a new magicband if you want one.

Q: Can I put in a credit card or gift card into My Disney Experience and charge using the band?
A: NO. Only onsite guests can charge to their room using the magicband.

Q: Are you sure swan and dolphin is considered Offsite?

A: Yes, while on Disney property it is not owned or operated by disney. They have an agreement for some of the perks of an onsite guest but not all. A free MagicBand is not one of them.

Q: I've decided to buy MagicBands, does everyone need one?

A: If you’re getting the MagicBand for the ride photos and video, you just need enough for everyone that will be in the same photo. For a family of parents and kids, some recommend getting them only for the kids because there will usually be a parent nearby and if they are the age they are exploring the park alone, you get their photos too. Depending on your body type, some rides it's 2 per photo, some it's 3, and some rides like splash mountain it's the entire boat.

Q: I decided to buy them, I want to use them for fast pass and everything. Does everyone need one?

A: Again up to you, the band only works for 1 person and the rest will need to use their cards. If everyone has a band, then nobody needs their cards. Do what makes sense for your budget and need. Remember they are sold in he parks; you can just wait, see if you really want them and buy/use them right away while there.

Q: After reading everything, I'm still not sure if I want to buy one?

A: I recommend you don't decide until you are at Walt Disney World. If you feel you need or want it, there is hundreds to pick from. It takes under a minute for a cast member to have it all setup and start using it. You really don't need it except for those couple ride photos and videos.

For your planning budget, $15 for solid colors, $20 for common character designs is a good estimate on what you'll spend.

Quick information about photo pass, memory maker, and Annual Pass Photo downloads

This is not meant to be a full guide; this is just some information to help understand how the photo pass service works.

• Photo pass: This is the free photography service offered to all visitors of Disney. There are photographers all around property, at character meals, in the parks. There is also photo booths scattered around. It even includes the ride photos and videos. It is free to use all of them to take your photo. Some photographers can offer some extra magic that will appear in your photo, don't forget to ask about it when they take your picture.
  • Photo pass Account: This is the website where all your photo pass photos will appear. On this site you have the option to download, get prints, get them printed on things, turned into a DVD, etc. etc. etc. There might be a fee to get your photos. You can even customize them with captions, borders, etc. etc...
  • Memory Maker: This is a special priced download all the photos and videos you took photo pass special.
  • Annual Passes with Photo pass downloads: This is unlimited downloads of all your photos and videos included in the price of your annual pass.
  • Pay per photo/video: taking a photo is free, if you like the photo and want to keep it. You can buy photos 1 at a time. You decide after your trip from the website, take all the photos you want for free and decide when you get home if you want to buy any of them. Compare to the price of buying memory maker after your trip to make sure your saving money.
Again, the photo pass information might be off, research more. This is to just help everyone understand what the different options you’re using your MagicBand..

More information about MagicBands/videos/photos

Disney Official Website with video of it being used: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/bands-cards/

The Ultimate Blog/Site with information and images on every band and accessory that has ever existed, available now or coming soon: http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/

The next post is a quick help version of this post. It'll help you with the basics to know and find quick answers to the common issues with bands organized by topic.

Some disney parks official youtube videos that include the magicband (may not be the subject of entire video).

Parody of trying to use the magic band when not at disney:

Using the Magic band with a photopass photographer (2/3s in)

Recent come here long form musical ad, has a section of the magicband and using it in the middle

this question may be answered somewhere, but i have two different hotel reservations over one week. long story. same room tho. will they have to give me two magic bands or will they link them?

this question may be answered somewhere, but i have two different hotel reservations over one week. long story. same room tho. will they have to give me two magic bands or will they link them?
If you have two reservation numbers then you will get two MagicBands. You have the option of declining one of the MB's if you don't want both of them.

The MBs will automatically link to your MDE. You should be able to see both of them in your MDE account.

Yahoooooo, our magic bands came today so now I can link them to our reservations
as well as our fast passes... I am so excited....I can't wait for my grandson to see
his magic band.. He will be ready to leave that day...:daisy::flower:

We are doing a split stay:
VWL: Two nights
POR: 9 nights with 10 day MYW tickets and DDP
We also have MNSSHP tickets linked to our MDE accounts. I understand I will have to go to guest relations to activate the park hopper tickets the day before we check in to POR so we can go to MK. My next question is on the day our package starts and we're due to check in to POR, can the dining plan be activated without me physically going to POR? We will already have one set of MBs from VWL and I've done online check in, but I'm not sure it will work. I'd like to avoid having to physically check in to POR if possible as we're having lunch at Disney Springs and it just complicates the whole thing.

We have 5 day base tickets for our October trip. If we decide to add a day midway thru our vacation, will we have to do anything to our magic bands; like reactivate or similar? Or will the extra day automagically be added to the MB info?

Hi - the day our magic bands shipped we added the dining plan to our room, changing it from a room only reservation to a package. Now in the My Disney Experience app there's still the option to order magic bands. I can just have them change the ones that shipped already, right? My hubby is freaking out because we haven't done a major trip since 2011 so magic bands are new to us...

We have 5 day base tickets for our October trip. If we decide to add a day midway thru our vacation, will we have to do anything to our magic bands; like reactivate or similar? Or will the extra day automagically be added to the MB info?
Your MBs provide the link to all data that is linked to your MDE account. Once you add on a day, the data is in MDE and your MB functions as usual. No need to do anything else. :)

Hi - the day our magic bands shipped we added the dining plan to our room, changing it from a room only reservation to a package. Now in the My Disney Experience app there's still the option to order magic bands. I can just have them change the ones that shipped already, right? My hubby is freaking out because we haven't done a major trip since 2011 so magic bands are new to us...
Your MBs are fine. It's the website that is incorrect. As in the previous post, your MBs link to whatever data "sits" in your MDE account. Nothing in on a MB - it just allows access to your ticket entitlements, dining, FPs, and room.

My next question is on the day our package starts and we're due to check in to POR, can the dining plan be activated without me physically going to POR?
This gets answered on the Resort Board quite frequently. It's been reported that you need to check out of Stay #1 completely before your MB provides the link to all the package data in Stay #2. If you don't completely checkout of Stay #1, using your MB still directly links to Stay #1 rather than your package.

You may want to ask this on the Resort Board or the Main TPAS Board to receive more replies.

This gets answered on the Resort Board quite frequently. It's been reported that you need to check out of Stay #1 completely before your MB provides the link to all the package data in Stay #2. If you don't completely checkout of Stay #1, using your MB still directly links to Stay #1 rather than your package.

You may want to ask this on the Resort Board or the Main TPAS Board to receive more replies.

Thanks. I might do that. I'll be activating our tickets a day before our resort package starts, it's just the dining I'm not sure about activating

Thanks. I might do that. I'll be activating our tickets a day before our resort package starts, it's just the dining I'm not sure about activating
I believe that's where most package guests were having a problem. At the restaurant when their MBs were scanned, it wasn't showing the Dining credits because it was still accessing room-only info. Hope everything works out for you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter