• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything Virtual Queue - Please Read Posts 1 and 2

Is it too soon to know how this will work in January after reservations end?
Maybe I’m wrong, but I think the 4-day 1-park per day tickets are already in use, and IIRC they didn’t require park reservations. VQ etc. seem to be working fine for them.

Is it too soon to know how this will work in January after reservations end?

This is a really good question. I don’t think anyone knows yet.

Assumption could be that anyone holding a valid date based ticket (no reservation required) could try for a boarding group, along with those guests with tickets that still require park reservations that have the MK ressie.
We really don’t know.

It could be as @garada3 shared or possibly, a guest may need to have tapped into a park to be eligible for a VQ, similar to how they did Rise prior to park reservations. That was a bit of a madhouse but we just don’t know.

Personally, I don’t think we’ll need to be in a park to get a VQ but, it is a possibility. Time will tell.

It went great!! We ended up being 8/8 using Disney wifi!! I ended up changing all of our park reservations to Epcot to snag a Guarduans VQ each morning.

The last day of our trip I successfully got a 7AM VQ fir both Guardians and Tron!!

1. Park reservation for Epcot.
2. 7AM booked Guardians VQ
3. Changed park reservation to MK
4. 7:03 booked Tron VQ
5. Switched park reservation back to Epcot
Does this generally only work during quieter times?
Looking to do this on Thursday 11/16.
We're doing Epcot AM, MK PM.
I am wondering if TRON or GOTG boarding pass will go first?
Also buying ILL$ for both rides - what order should I do all of this in?

It went great!! We ended up being 8/8 using Disney wifi!! I ended up changing all of our park reservations to Epcot to snag a Guarduans VQ each morning.

The last day of our trip I successfully got a 7AM VQ fir both Guardians and Tron!!

1. Park reservation for Epcot.
2. 7AM booked Guardians VQ
3. Changed park reservation to MK
4. 7:03 booked Tron VQ
5. Switched park reservation back to Epcot
Nice! So, cancelling your initial EPCOT park reservation didn’t cancel the Guardians VQ when you switched to MK and same thing for the Tron VQ when you switched back to EPCOT? I thought about doing this but it sounds a little risky especially since the 7 am VQ typically goes out fast. Or was this a modify reservation instead of cancelling?

Last edited:

Does this generally only work during quieter times?
Looking to do this on Thursday 11/16.
We're doing Epcot AM, MK PM.
I am wondering if TRON or GOTG boarding pass will go first?
Also buying ILL$ for both rides - what order should I do all of this in?
Yes, because the drop for TRON has been lasting a few minutes as opposed to seconds many days lately, especially on MNSSHP days according to https://www.thrill-data.com/news/disney-world-boarding-group-availability-tracker/

Nice! So, cancelling your initial EPCOT park reservation didn’t cancel the Guardians VQ when you switched to MK and same thing for the Tron VQ when you switched back to EPCOT? I thought about doing this but it sounds a little risky especially since the 7 am VQ typically goes out fast. Or was this a modify reservation instead of cancelling?

First thing to know is a VQ number cannot be modified. Once you receive a number, that is your number.

After that It differs a bit for Tron vs GotG.

For Tron I only tried for it at 7AM the days we were actually going to MK as you must return within the window when you are called.

The one exception to this was our final day of an 8 day pass. I secured a VQ for GotG first then changed my park reservation to MK and secured Tron as it was still available. After that I changed my park reservation back to Epcot as that was the park we were going to first. Both VQs remained in place even with these changes. GotG was called while we were there and Tron after 2PM.

I will say this was possible greatly in part as we were there the last week of August when park attendance was lower.

The main thing to keep in mind is that a Tron VQ must be used within its 1 hour return window once called.

A GotG can be used anytime from when it is called to park close.

Hope this helps.

First thing to know is a VQ number cannot be modified. Once you receive a number, that is your number.

After that It differs a bit for Tron vs GotG.

For Tron I only tried for it at 7AM the days we were actually going to MK as you must return within the window when you are called.

The one exception to this was our final day of an 8 day pass. I secured a VQ for GotG first then changed my park reservation to MK and secured Tron as it was still available. After that I changed my park reservation back to Epcot as that was the park we were going to first. Both VQs remained in place even with these changes. GotG was called while we were there and Tron after 2PM.

I will say this was possible greatly in part as we were there the last week of August when park attendance was lower.

The main thing to keep in mind is that a Tron VQ must be used within its 1 hour return window once called.

A GotG can be used anytime from when it is called to park close.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the insight! Apologies, I should have been clearer in my question. Understood that VQ cannot by modified, and only referred to the park reservation.

By the way, how long was your Tron wait during the afternoon? Just curious to see how much longer it is compared to mornings, which is when I usually my BG gets called the times I managed to snag a VQ spot.

Thanks for the insight! Apologies, I should have been clearer in my question. Understood that VQ cannot by modified, and only referred to the park reservation.

By the way, how long was your Tron wait during the afternoon? Just curious to see how much longer it is compared to mornings, which is when I usually my BG gets called the times I managed to snag a VQ spot.
It changes daily. We got 3 different VQs at the 7AM drop.

VQ 6 was called before park open (rode immediately upon joining line)
VQ 85 was called around 2:45 (waited in line approx 60 mins after joining line)
VQ 90 was called around 4:45 (waited in line approx 75 mins after joining the line)

A 7AM drop does not guarantee when a VQ will be called. It may be before or after 2PM.

Also, all 2 of the above VQs (6 and 90) were obtained at exactly 7AM. VQ 85 was obtained around 7:03 after securing a GotG, changing park reservation to MK and then trying for a Tron VQ.

Do we need to be scanned in to join the Tron VQ at 1 pm. We have CRT at 4 pm and MNSSHP. We will have to do rider switch. People said it took 45 mins to ride during this time. Can you grab a second VQ at 6 pm even if you have a RS entitlement not used.

Do we need to be scanned in to join the Tron VQ at 1 pm. We have CRT at 4 pm and MNSSHP. We will have to do rider switch. People said it took 45 mins to ride during this time. Can you grab a second VQ at 6 pm even if you have a RS entitlement not used.

Yes, you need to be scanned in to try for a 1PM VQ. You do not need to be scanned in to try for a 6PM VQ, you only need to have a MNSSHP VQ for that night.

I believe if you use rider swap that the second person riding uses the LL entrance so their wait is shorter.

Based on your questions, are you hopping to MK? If so, I think it will be almost impossible to obtain a 1 PM VQ you can use as I would not anticipate the 1 PM VQs lasting until 2 PM as they only go until 6PM when the park closes to day guests.

Yes, you need to be scanned in to try for a 1PM VQ. You do not need to be scanned in to try for a 6PM VQ, you only need to have a MNSSHP VQ for that night.

I believe if you use rider swap that the second person riding uses the LL entrance so their wait is shorter.

Based on your questions, are you hopping to MK? If so, I think it will be almost impossible to obtain a 1 PM VQ you can use as I would not anticipate the 1 PM VQs lasting until 2 PM as they only go until 6PM when the park closes to day guests.
We are not park hopping. We have day tickets and had originally planned to be at MK in the am.

With a 4 pm ADR, we probably need to enter early because the crowds are intense around 3:30 pm. Read reports of people taking 30+ mins to enter. With a double stroller it will take us 15 mins to get to our ADR as well. It wouldn’t be worth the 2-3 rides at 9 am and trying to rush back for lunch and a resort break (AOA buses can take a while).

App just repeatedly crashed while trying to do the virtual queue. Closed by the time we got the second device to work. (I know, prepare early, have both devices trying etc...) But what kind of way is this to have people enjoy the theme parks they're paying a fortune to visit?

Sorry for the rant. I just despise this system.

App just repeatedly crashed while trying to do the virtual queue. Closed by the time we got the second device to work. (I know, prepare early, have both devices trying etc...) But what kind of way is this to have people enjoy the theme parks they're paying a fortune to visit?

Sorry for the rant. I just despise this system.
Try not to let it ruin your day. I was pretty disappointed when this happened with ROTR (when it was an VQ) and I was so quick during practice. A CM with an iPad said it was because I didn’t have the latest iPhone as they couldn’t figure out why it froze. I also couldn’t mobile order at the milk stand with my phone. I eventually upgraded to iPhone 13 Pro and have had less issues. Also my credit card stored in my profile wouldn’t display so every ADR I had to manually enter it after multiple log outs. Credit card does appear now in the app.

Set your alarm to 12:45 pm. Have multiple people try to grab the VQ at that time. I’ve heard it lasts longer, if you’re park hopping it would mess up plans but you could still end up riding and park hopping to say Epcot at 5 pm?

Try not to let it ruin your day. I was pretty disappointed when this happened with ROTR (when it was an VQ) and I was so quick during practice. A CM with an iPad said it was because I didn’t have the latest iPhone as they couldn’t figure out why it froze. I also couldn’t mobile order at the milk stand with my phone. I eventually upgraded to iPhone 13 Pro and have had less issues. Also my credit card stored in my profile wouldn’t display so every ADR I had to manually enter it after multiple log outs. Credit card does appear now in the app.

Set your alarm to 12:45 pm. Have multiple people try to grab the VQ at that time. I’ve heard it lasts longer, if you’re park hopping it would mess up plans but you could still end up riding and park hopping to say Epcot at 5 pm?
Thanks, I appreciate your positivity and your tips! We arent able to stay in the park too late today, so I'm really hesitant to drag us to Epcot at 1pm to try to get a boarding pass for something we still likely won't be able to rice.

All of your suggestions are wise. I just get frustrated with Disney every time something like this happens. It is absurd that in order to ride the thing they're selling (crazy expensive) tickets for, we have to buy new phones and have multiple people wake up at 7am to be refreshing apps etc. Or spend a lot of extra money to skip that. Particularly when you're travelling with older people, it's just an absurd way of doing things.

I know we've all said this a million times. Just wanted to get it off my chest, given I skipped out on my evening plans last night so I could could be up at 7am for something I couldn't even get anyway. Thank you for indulging me 🤣

Do we have an idea of how long the wait is once in line with a VQ for Guardians and Tron versus ILL?

Do we have an idea of how long the wait is once in line with a VQ for Guardians and Tron versus ILL?
There really isn't a 'one answer fit's all' to this. What is common is that morning lines are normally shorter than later in the day.

All of our wait times refer to VQ - the wait from joining the line until on the attraction.

I rode TRON three times.
- Our morning line was very short
- 3:45 wait in line was probably 30-40 mins
- 4:45 wait in line was 75 mins

We rode Guardians almost daily so I think 6 times. Almost always late afternoon/evening.
- The longest we waited in line was again about 50 mins and that was early in the day
- The average time in line was probably 20-30 mins

Last edited:
There really isn't a 'one answer fit's all' to this. What is common is that morning lines are normally shorter than later in the day.

All of our wait times refer to VQ - the wait from joining the line until on the attraction.

I rode TRON three times.
- Our morning line was very short
- 3:45 wait in line was probably 30-40 mins
- 4:45 wait in line was 75 mins

We rode Guardians almost daily so I think 6 times. Almost always late afternoon/evening.
- The longest we waited in line was again about 50 mins and that was early in the day
- The average time in line was probably 20-30 mins
That’s really helpful, thank you.

I'm hopping to MK because I love MK at night, but I'd like to ride Tron twice. Is it possible to grab both a Tron virtual queue and ILL and hope my return times are after 2:00 pm when I get to the park? What is the best strategy for this? TIA

Depending on how busy the park is, you can book MK as your first park, obtain a VQ at 7AM and hope that it’s called after 2PM. You can also purchase an ILL$ and select a time after 2PM.

Once you have done this you can change your park reservation to the park you want to go to first.

There isn’t a guarantee that it will be called after 2PM but there is a chance it might be.

Once you hop to MK you can use the VQ if it hasn’t been called yet. If it was called and you missed your window, you can try for a new VQ (as the first one had texpired unused) but this will depend if the VQ is still open.

There is no guarantee you can ride twice but this gives you an option to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter