Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I would recommend checking historical G+ prices on thrill-data.com but there’s no guarantee this year will be like years in the past and, tiered Genie+ pricing is less than a week old.
Disney’s date based pricing went into effect in October last year, so the only historical price has been $15 for that time frame.

crowd levels will generally be lower during that time with the exception of the labor day weekend, so it’ll likely be mostly on the lower end, but as mentioned, it’ll depend on if you want the multi park option or single park now.

What is the latest ILL time for FOP assuming a 7:00 pm park close? It may be obviously 6:00 pm but want to confirm.

6:30pm would be the last one available.
And at that point you might not mind the standby line, which is usually pretty short near park closing. Although, if you time it right, you might be able to ride twice, assuming you exited the ILLs in time to get in the standby line.

edited for typos

Last edited:

Personal choice but if I was planning to ride FoP at the end of the night I'd save the $ as posted wait times will be inflated and wait will be manageable. Bonus is that if you're one of the later rides (in the summer) it's often getting to be dusk so Pandora begins to come alive. Doesn't matter as much in the winter as it's easier to experience Pandora after dark.

Can someone help clarify this for me? I purchased G+ for Thursday. I chose Multi-Park because we planned to hit AK and then HS. Since we’re passholders we can’t get to HS until after 2pm but I only wanted to use G+ in HS and stack rides for later in the day/evening. I thought if I purchased it for HS only then I wouldn’t even let me make the LL selections until I was in the park (and it was a difference of only a few dollars).

At 7AM I attempted to book Slinky Dog but it wouldn’t let me because we didn’t have an active reservation for HS. I refreshed a few times and it finally gave me a reservation time for 2:30-3:30.

At 10:30 AM when I was able to make my second booking I wanted Runaway Railway. Current booking times were hovering around 11:30-12 and it took 10 minutes of refreshing for all of the spots to be taken and a spot after 2PM to finally open up.

Am I completely misremembering G+ before the most recent change in that it would allow you to CHOOSE your return time? Or has it always been the very first available regardless of how it works with your plans? I guess I figured the system was smarter and would automatically choose a time for me after 2PM, but all it did was add an additional 10 minutes to my time to book the next LL and keep me head down on my phone for that whole time.

Can someone help clarify this for me? I purchased G+ for Thursday. I chose Multi-Park because we planned to hit AK and then HS. Since we’re passholders we can’t get to HS until after 2pm but I only wanted to use G+ in HS and stack rides for later in the day/evening. I thought if I purchased it for HS only then I wouldn’t even let me make the LL selections until I was in the park (and it was a difference of only a few dollars).

At 7AM I attempted to book Slinky Dog but it wouldn’t let me because we didn’t have an active reservation for HS. I refreshed a few times and it finally gave me a reservation time for 2:30-3:30.

At 10:30 AM when I was able to make my second booking I wanted Runaway Railway. Current booking times were hovering around 11:30-12 and it took 10 minutes of refreshing for all of the spots to be taken and a spot after 2PM to finally open up.

Am I completely misremembering G+ before the most recent change in that it would allow you to CHOOSE your return time? Or has it always been the very first available regardless of how it works with your plans? I guess I figured the system was smarter and would automatically choose a time for me after 2PM, but all it did was add an additional 10 minutes to my time to book the next LL and keep me head down on my phone for that whole time.
What you described above is how it works now. What you are possibly remembering is how it worked originally.

Way back in the beginning, if you had a park reservation + hopper ticket, if you attempted to book a LL for DHS it would only show you times that are after 2PM.

Now, and since summer 2022, to book a LL at a park you are hopping to, you need to wait until the return time for ALL guests is after 2PM.

Selecting a return time has never been an option for G+ LL.

A guest may select a return time when purchasing an ILL$.

What you described above is how it works now. What you are possibly remembering is how it worked originally.

Way back in the beginning, if you had a park reservation + hopper ticket, if you attempted to book a LL for DHS it would only show you times that are after 2PM.

Now, and since summer 2022, to book a LL at a park you are hopping to, you need to wait until the return time for ALL guests is after 2PM.

Selecting a return time has never been an option for G+ LL.

A guest may select a return time when purchasing an ILL$.
Must be…I think somehow I’ve gotten my wires crossed with how dining reservations look, the old fast pass system, and never using G+ to actually park hop. My March trip seemed easier with genie but maybe it’s because there were way more people booking spots and I wasn’t specifically trying for ones after 2PM.

When you have genie +, can you go on the same ride twice or just once per day? My son and daughter love FOP in AK. If I get them genie plus and they get onto FOP in the morning, can they go on it again in the afternoon using genie plus? If not, is it really worth the money for genie plus to just ride FOP and maybe one other popular ride in AK? We never used it and are visiting mid-August. We used to go alot when you got paper fastpasses. LOL.

When you have genie +, can you go on the same ride twice or just once per day? My son and daughter love FOP in AK. If I get them genie plus and they get onto FOP in the morning, can they go on it again in the afternoon using genie plus? If not, is it really worth the money for genie plus to just ride FOP and maybe one other popular ride in AK? We never used it and are visiting mid-August. We used to go alot when you got paper fastpasses. LOL.
FOP is an ILL so is a separate purchase from G+, but you can only buy one ILL per person per day.

Wow, this stuff is so confusing! If I purchase genie plus, I get free LL? I thought you had to pay for each individual LL? If I have genie plus, can I reserve ROR in HS? I thought the rides with high demand, you had to pay for them individually and couldn't get them even if you had genie plus. BTW, we are staying onsite at the BWI, if that matters!

FOP is an ILL so is a separate purchase from G+, but you can only buy one ILL per person per day.
A guest may purchase up to 2 ILL$ per day but they must be for 2 different ILL$ attractions.
Wow, this stuff is so confusing! If I purchase genie plus, I get free LL? I thought you had to pay for each individual LL? If I have genie plus, can I reserve ROR in HS? I thought the rides with high demand, you had to pay for them individually and couldn't get them even if you had genie plus. BTW, we are staying onsite at the BWI, if that matters!
You’re correct, it is confusing. I would recommend reading the posts on page 1 as we’ve broken it down as clearly as we can.

Those posts answer all of your questions.
SO, I cannot book FOP if I purchased genie plus?
Correct.

I plan to use Genie+ for our party of 7 in 2 weeks which includes grandparents who will not want to go on some of the more intense rides. I'll have them get extra hard copy tickets so some us us can ride twice but sometimes we may not want to. How to I keep our elegibility window in sync if the whole group doesn't want to do a ride? I could just tap them in but what if a ride has 2 touch points and no one wants to re-ride. Also, this would needlessly waste a Genie+ that someone else could have used. The other option I can think of is not to select the ride for them but then our elegibility window would get out of sync.
Any tips are appreciated!

I have a party of 6 going in October. We have park hopper tickets. The first park day is the day we arrive - early arrival at 9am. Our first park is EPCOT. If I buy Genie+ for EPCOT only and then we decide later to park hop, can I upgrade my Genie+ or am I just out of luck getting it for another park that day?
With 6 of us, I don’t want to overspend if not necessary, but if my flight is later than planned, we may not have time to park hop that day.

I'll have them get extra hard copy tickets so some us us can ride twice but sometimes we may not want to. How to I keep our elegibility window in sync if the whole group doesn't want to do a ride?
This will only be an issue if your return time is within 2 hours of selecting the ride. So if you select Toy Story mania for 1pm at Noon or something like that.

If someone doesn’t ride, just go into Genie+ and cancel their lightning lane pass after everyone else has tapped in and is waiting in line. Do this before trying to get your next pass so everyone will be on the same schedule.

This will only be an issue if your return time is within 2 hours of selecting the ride. So if you select Toy Story mania for 1pm at Noon or something like that.

If someone doesn’t ride, just go into Genie+ and cancel their lightning lane pass after everyone else has tapped in and is waiting in line. Do this before trying to get your next pass so everyone will be on the same schedule.
I think where I’m getting stuck is how it works during the 1st two hours of operations. If some skips the first ride during that timeframe and I cancel it would they be eligible to get another genie+ prior to those first 2 hours? If true I can just focus on rides I know everyone will ride.

I think where I’m getting stuck is how it works during the 1st two hours of operations. If some skips the first ride during that timeframe and I cancel it would they be eligible to get another genie+ prior to those first 2 hours? If true I can just focus on rides I know everyone will ride.
Yes, when you cancel your most recent selection, you can make another selection right away

I have a party of 6 going in October. We have park hopper tickets. The first park day is the day we arrive - early arrival at 9am. Our first park is EPCOT. If I buy Genie+ for EPCOT only and then we decide later to park hop, can I upgrade my Genie+ or am I just out of luck getting it for another park that day?
With 6 of us, I don’t want to overspend if not necessary, but if my flight is later than planned, we may not have time to park hop that day.
You would have to purchase the multi park genie+ option. Then you would have to go to guest services to get a refund for the one park option if you want your money back. Yes, it's ridiculous, but this is the only way to do it.

You would have to purchase the multi park genie+ option. Then you would have to go to guest services to get a refund for the one park option if you want your money back. Yes, it's ridiculous, but this is the only way to do it.
Thanks! I’m OK with that if we only end up at one park. With flight delays and such, that could easily happen :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter