Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

I’m sure I missed this, but if I make a Genie + reservation at say 11 am. Do I have a certain time to get there Within a certain time period? And do I have a choice of time.
You will be shown the next available time (if a time is available) and can only select that. You do not have the option to choose return times.

Also, return time often changes many times between first selecting and actually confirming a choice. E.g. at 11AM you may be shown a return time for 2:05 to 3:05 and in the few clicks it takes to finalize your choice, the time may have changed to 5:15 - 6:15 and that is your actual return window, not the time that was displayed when you first made your selection.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but for Rise, is it better to try with the smallest group possible? There will be 12 in our group. About five or six people would really love riding it while the others would enjoy it but not more so than any other ride. Will putting everyone in the group hurt the odds of getting a LL for the people who would really love to go?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but for Rise, is it better to try with the smallest group possible? There will be 12 in our group. About five or six people would really love riding it while the others would enjoy it but not more so than any other ride. Will putting everyone in the group hurt the odds of getting a LL for the people who would really love to go?
Yes, it will delay getting your ILL$ to remove 6 people but, if they don’t want to ride I think you will have to do that as you would end up spending $90 for people who are t going to ride.

Rise is an ILL$ ride.

As long as you quickly remove the extras, hopefully you will still get them for the other 6 but you’ll want to be as fast as possible.

Yes, it will delay getting your ILL$ to remove 6 people but, if they don’t want to ride I think you will have to do that as you would end up spending $90 for people who are t going to ride.

Rise is an ILL$ ride.

As long as you quickly remove the extras, hopefully you will still get them for the other 6 but you’ll want to be as fast as possible.
Oh, so it would be better not to remove them? That’s the opposite of what I was thinking - glad I asked! I was thinking that a bigger group would mean smaller chances of getting the ILL$ since we’d need more spots.

How does booking for the next Genie+ selection work when parks open earlier and you make your initial one at 7? Do you just wait for the 2 hour window or after you make it to your first selection?

So I am still reading and learning about Genie+
BUT
From what I gather, it is very much like the original FP where you could have one at a time, get more based on availability as the day goes on.
Does that seem accurate??

I can book a G+ at 7 am
after 2 hrs, I can book another and so on all day as long as I have a park reservation/ticket and don't repeat a ride

So I am still reading and learning about Genie+
BUT
From what I gather, it is very much like the original FP where you could have one at a time, get more based on availability as the day goes on.
Does that seem accurate??

I can book a G+ at 7 am
after 2 hrs, I can book another and so on all day as long as I have a park reservation/ticket and don't repeat a ride
Pretty much. It’s 2 hrs after park open (not 7am) or after tapping into your 1st ride - whichever is first.
There are two different approaches people have taken (with sub-strategies for each):
1. Book your first for as early as possible, tap in and book your next…and so on (usually combined with rope drop)
2. “Stack” your rides for the afternoon/evening by booking $ILL and your 1st selection at 7am (for an afternoon timeslot). Then booking the next selection 2hrs after park open, then again 2 hrs later, etc until you show up with 4/5 rides pre-booked.
Depends on your park touring style.

Oh, so it would be better not to remove them? That’s the opposite of what I was thinking - glad I asked! I was thinking that a bigger group would mean smaller chances of getting the ILL$ since we’d need more spots.
Yes, due to having to deselect each, you're losing precious time for booking a ride that typically fills up quickly. Itd definitely go a lot quicker not deselecting, but if people really don't want to ride or pay for it, might still be worth it to deselect

I have a question that I don't think I've seen answered. We have a party of 6. In the mornings at 7, when you have to be super fast to get the popular $ILL and LL selections, I do not want to take the extra time to de-select anyone from my party, so I will always be making those reservations for all 6 members of my party. However, we have a couple of folks in our party that may or may not want to ride some of the rides, due to motion sickness issues.

So, after you book either an $ILL or LL for 6, can you then later go in and remove a couple of people from that reservation? If so, does this possibly screw up the timing of everything when it comes to the group being able to book the next LL reservation? Either after the (smaller) group taps into the first ride, or after a 2-hour window if that applies?

Or, if we book for all 6, do all 6 really need to tap into that ride (and then those that don't want to ride can use the "chicken exit")? Would that be better?

I really don't want to miss out on getting the rides we want or getting decent times if at all possible, so I'm happy to pay for $ILL slots that we don't really want so we don't lose the time it would take to edit the members of the party. I really hate that this is something necessary under the current system, but it seems like it is what it is.

Thanks!

So, after you book either an $ILL or LL for 6, can you then later go in and remove a couple of people from that reservation? If so, does this possibly screw up the timing of everything when it comes to the group being able to book the next LL reservation? Either after the (smaller) group taps into the first ride, or after a 2-hour window if that applies?
ILL$ cannot be cancelled. Once you pay, you own it. Others in the party though, could grab their magic band and ride a second time if so desired

Genie+ LL can be cancelled. If cancelled immediately, they could choose another selection. Otherwise if you wait until the 2 hour window, they'll be eligible then as well. They could also start their own 2 hour time if their first ride is earlier than 2 hours after park opening and they select another ride after tapping in to that.

If so, does this possibly screw up the timing of everything when it comes to the group being able to book the next LL reservation?
Potentially.
If the group that cancels books again right away and both groups have ride times past 2hrs of park open the next booking window would be the same for both (2hrs after park open)
If either group has a ride time before 2hrs after park open (assuming they aren’t tapping in at the same time) then whoever taps in first will have an earlier booking window. They could always wait until the rest of the group is eligible to get everyone back on the same schedule (although they would lose some early booking advantage)

Yes, due to having to deselect each, you're losing precious time for booking a ride that typically fills up quickly. Itd definitely go a lot quicker not deselecting, but if people really don't want to ride or pay for it, might still be worth it to deselect
Thank you! I’d seen people complain about not being able to create “groups” in Genie+ before and now I see what they were talking about. I will weigh the pros and cons of both options.

So if i am reading right, everyone can start booking LL at 7am who purchased G+ no matter where they are located and no matter where they stayed? So there is not any advantage of staying at a Disney resort for the G+?

Sorry, this is probably in the thread, but my search wasn't helpful.

When booking ILL for a park you are hopping to, and you are staying offsite, can you book it at park opening time for the park you are hopping to? Or the park you have a reservation for?

ILL$ cannot be cancelled. Once you pay, you own it. Others in the party though, could grab their magic band and ride a second time if so desired

Genie+ LL can be cancelled. If cancelled immediately, they could choose another selection. Otherwise if you wait until the 2 hour window, they'll be eligible then as well. They could also start their own 2 hour time if their first ride is earlier than 2 hours after park opening and they select another ride after tapping in to that.

Potentially.
If the group that cancels books again right away and both groups have ride times past 2hrs of park open the next booking window would be the same for both (2hrs after park open)
If either group has a ride time before 2hrs after park open (assuming they aren’t tapping in at the same time) then whoever taps in first will have an earlier booking window. They could always wait until the rest of the group is eligible to get everyone back on the same schedule (although they would lose some early booking advantage)

Thank you!

Another scenario here to help me better understand:

Let's say I book a LL for all 6. Let's say we're able to ride before the 2-hour window is passed, so the 2-hour stuff doesn't apply. Only 4 in the party want to ride, so they go into the ride and tap in. I understand that those 4 could then immediately book their next LL. Now let's also say that at the exact same time the 4 are tapping in, the other 2 cancel that same LL. Can all 6 now book their next LL together?

I think maybe another way to state the question - does cancelling a LL essentially have the same effect as tapping into a LL in regards to timing/ability to book your next LL?

Last edited:
Thank you!

Let's say I book a LL for all 6. Let's say we're able to ride before the 2-hour window is passed, so the 2-hour stuff doesn't apply. Only 4 in the party want to ride, so they go into the ride and tap in. I understand that those 4 could then immediately book their next LL. Now let's also say that at the exact same time the 4 are tapping in, the other 2 cancel that same LL. Can all 6 now book their next LL together?

I think maybe another way to state the question - does cancelling a LL essentially have the same effect as tapping into a LL in regards to timing/ability to book your next LL?

The short answer is "yes"

I would point out, though, that if you know the two that don't want to ride will not use the LL reservation and no one else will use their LL reservation, you can cancel it immediately after booking...one less thing to worry about when the four of you riding tap in and look for your next LL. When you cancel a LL, a screen comes up asking if you are cancelling for the whole group or just select people.

Thank you!

Just adding that some rides have 2 taps (SDD). Believe eligibility opens only after 2nd tap.
As @3gr8boys alluded to, 2 of the original 4 could ride again using the LL of those that were going to cancel (swap magic bands temporarily). Don’t think it’s against the rules (moderator-please delete if it is) but it will delay the booking window.

Last edited:
Such great useful information! From what I gather, if you’re not staying on property, the likelihood of getting the ILL$ for each park is pretty much non existent when the park opens?
Just catching up on this thread after my trip 3/31-4/10. I didn't see that anyone answered your question and wanted to tell you my experience: We stayed offsite I was able to book FOP, Rise, Remy and SDMT. Remy and FOP were available about an hour after park opening so I booked them even though I hadn't planned on it. Rise and SDMT initially appeared to be sold out but by repeatedly refreshing at park opening I was able to snag evening timeslots for both. Don't despair!

Edit to add: My HS and MK days ended up a 9 on Touringplans (were supposed to be 6s) and I still was successful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter