Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

So I just tried to update my MDE app on my iPhone 6 in preparation for my upcoming May trip to start practicing manipulating Genie+. But lo and behold, my phone is apparently not new enough. I have the latest OS the 6 can update to but it isn't new enough. My DH has the same phone.
SO, do we have any options at all other than spending $2grand on new phones? I tried to find a way to do Genie+ using the online MDE access, but couldn't seem to make that happen either.
Not feeling very good about this right now! Any alternatives?
My DH has an iPhone 6 and he was able to install and run the App just a few days ago. He says it works fine. Is it not letting you open MDE at all? Or is there a particular function not working for you within the App?

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and we are planning to get new phones before our trip in August. When we were in Disneyland in March I noticed a huge battery drain and some lag running Genie+ with our older phones. And that's definitely not what you want when trying to scramble for LLs. We've been looking at switching our carrier service to get the free phone deals (or at least a much cheaper deal)...maybe someone in your area is offering a similar promotion?

My DH has an iPhone 6 and he was able to install and run the App just a few days ago. He says it works fine. Is it not letting you open MDE at all? Or is there a particular function not working for you within the App?

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and we are planning to get new phones before our trip in August. When we were in Disneyland in March I noticed a huge battery drain and some lag running Genie+ with our older phones. And that's definitely not what you want when trying to scramble for LLs. We've been looking at switching our carrier service to get the free phone deals (or at least a much cheaper deal)...maybe someone in your area is offering a similar promotion?
That is really interesting. The app on my phone was from 2020. I tried to update and the AppStore said "requires IOS 14.0 but you may download earlier version". So that is what I did and it does not have Genie as a function. My phone has IOS 12.5 which is the latest the phone will accept.

Maybe he has a 6S which is the next level?

That is really interesting. The app on my phone was from 2020. I tried to update and the AppStore said "requires IOS 14.0 but you may download earlier version". So that is what I did and it does not have Genie as a function. My phone has IOS 12.5 which is the latest the phone will accept.

Maybe he has a 6S which is the next level?
maybe delete the app and re download it from the store.

maybe delete the app and re download it from the store.
That is what I did. It gives me the older version of the app with no Genie. I can still see my passes and park reservations and can make ADRs or mobile order. But I can't do Genie. I guess it means at least 1 new iPhone even though we are both still OK with how our 6's are working for everything else. All our devices are Apple so I don't want to buy any cheaper phone that won't be compatible with the rest.

That is what I did. It gives me the older version of the app with no Genie. I can still see my passes and park reservations and can make ADRs or mobile order. But I can't do Genie. I guess it means at least 1 new iPhone even though we are both still OK with how our 6's are working for everything else. All our devices are Apple so I don't want to buy any cheaper phone that won't be compatible with the rest.
Saddly staying with apple is just super expensive. My son's Google pixel 4a was 150$ 2 years ago and still works great. Me and my husband's were 300 due to buying them right at launch.

Maybe see if your phone company has a trade in deal for something that works but not the new super expensive phone.

Not us, and we have done both many times, both during the FP+ era and the LL era.
Haven't had an issue either. We've tried at 7 minutes before and not let in until 5 and another time we actually got in at 6 minutes before! lol

I want to buy 4 day ticket with genie plus. We would like to add a 5th day, but without genie plus. I would prefer to buy the genie plus in advance so I don't need to worry about adding on the day of the visit.

Can I buy a 4 day ticket with genie plus, then few weeks prior to vacation, can I purchase a 5th day WITHOUT genie plus?? I would like to save the genie plus cost for the 5th day. If yes, can I do that on MDE app or do I need to call?

I want to buy 4 day ticket with genie plus. We would like to add a 5th day, but without genie plus. I would prefer to buy the genie plus in advance so I don't need to worry about adding on the day of the visit.

Can I buy a 4 day ticket with genie plus, then few weeks prior to vacation, can I purchase a 5th day WITHOUT genie plus?? I would like to save the genie plus cost for the 5th day. If yes, can I do that on MDE app or do I need to call?
if the prices to tickets go up you would also need to pay the difference of all the tickets.. so best not tempt fate.

if the prices to tickets go up you would also need to pay the difference of all the tickets.. so best not tempt fate.
what you mean pay the difference of all the tickets? like the ones I already paid???

Can I just do that 5th day upgrade without genie plus few days after I purchase then 4 day with genie plus then?

what you mean pay the difference of all the tickets? like the ones I already paid???

Can I just do that 5th day upgrade without genie plus few days after I purchase then 4 day with genie plus then?
yup the ones you already payed

The more days of tickets you buy, the cheaper the tickets are per day. If you buy a 4 day and the 5th day separately, it may actually cost more. Check the prices before to see if it is an actual savings.

yup the ones you already payed
that sucks then. LOL. I was planning to save the $60 bucks from genie plus. so what if I do liek I said? buy the 4 tickets with genie plus. the following week, contact disney to add a 5th day WITHOUT genie plus.

The more days of tickets you buy, the cheaper the tickets are per day. If you buy a 4 day and the 5th day separately, it may actually cost more. Check the prices before to see if it is an actual savings.
I was told that if you add an extra day to your existing tickets, you would get the savings applied. For example, buying a 5th ticket to add to an existing 4 day ticket would cost me the same is if I had bought a 5 day ticket (assuming price has not increased_)

It sounds like you want 5 days, but only Genie+ for 4 of them.

To do this, you would need to buy your 4 day ticket with Genie+ included, then buy a separate one day ticket without Genie+ to use for your 5th day. There is no way to get Genie+ for only some days on a multi-day ticket.

For an adult, a one day ticket ranges from $100 to $164 depending on the date it is to be used.

A 4 day, one park per day ticket with Genie+ should be $440 per adult.

A 5 day, one park per day ticket with Genie+ should be $480 per adult.

Upgrading to the 5 day with Genie+ will save you at least $60 over buying a separate one day ticket that doesn't have Genie+.

ETA: I thought this was on the DL side of the board, so my prices are DLR, but the same effect is true at WDW - adding a 5th day with Genie+ is significantly less expensive than buying a one day ticket.

Last edited:
It sounds like you want 5 days, but only Genie+ for 4 of them.

To do this, you would need to buy your 4 day ticket with Genie+ included, then buy a separate one day ticket without Genie+ to use for your 5th day. There is no way to get Genie+ for only some days on a multi-day ticket.

For an adult, a one day ticket ranges from $100 to $164 depending on the date it is to be used.

A 4 day, one park per day ticket with Genie+ should be $440 per adult.

A 5 day, one park per day ticket with Genie+ should be $480 per adult.

Upgrading to the 5 day with Genie+ will save you at least $60 over buying a separate one day ticket that doesn't have Genie+.
perfect explanation. so It would better just buy 5 days with genie plus, it will save me more and less hassle. thank you

perfect explanation. so It would better just buy 5 days with genie plus, it will save me more and less hassle. thank you
You're welcome!

I just realized this post is about WDW, not DLR, so my prices are off, but the same thing is true - adding a 5th day with G+ is still significantly less than buying a one day ticket.

You're welcome!

I just realized this post is about WDW, not DLR, so my prices are off, but the same thing is true - adding a 5th day with G+ is still significantly less than buying a one day ticket.
and the reason is because the 5th day can't be a base ticket without genie plus is my 4 day ticket INCLUDES genie plus. got it

Well, if you want to save the $60 for the day you don't want Genie+, you can just get tickets without it, and buy Genie+ daily each morning you want it while you're there. That's what we did on our recent trip, and it took all of 60 seconds to complete the purchase every morning. I just did it about 10 minutes before Genie+ opens up at 7 am.

Well, if you want to save the $60 for the day you don't want Genie+, you can just get tickets without it, and buy Genie+ daily each morning you want it while you're there. That's what we did on our recent trip, and it took all of 60 seconds to complete the purchase every morning. I just did it about 10 minutes before Genie+ opens up at 7 am.
that is interesting. does genie plus runs out??? like the park is too crowded that day and you won't be able to get it?

that is interesting. does genie plus runs out??? like the park is too crowded that day and you won't be able to get it?
The upgrade to Genie+ is always offered, or at least it has never been cut off thus far. Disney said officially that they don't intend to limit availability of Genie+, so if they decided to do so in the future I think there would be an announcement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter