Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

In general, is there typical push forward time for WDW?

The same was true for DL. However the swing for the major and most coveted attractions would often bump you HOURS later than the time you thought you were snagging. As an example, I clicked on Space Mtn for a 7:30-8:30pm window and got a confirm selection page listing 10:30-11:30pm return. We weren't able to ride because the kids were timing out. This happened several more times during our stay.

Wondering if that's a typical thing in WDW too....?
In my experience the same happened at WDW

In general, is there typical push forward time for WDW?

The same was true for DL. However the swing for the major and most coveted attractions would often bump you HOURS later than the time you thought you were snagging. As an example, I clicked on Space Mtn for a 7:30-8:30pm window and got a confirm selection page listing 10:30-11:30pm return. We weren't able to ride because the kids were timing out. This happened several more times during our stay.

Wondering if that's a typical thing in WDW too....?
It is happening daily at WDW and sometimes hours later than initial screen time displayed.

In the Genie Strategy thread today, someone shared their experience for Flight of Passage and their time changed by more than FOUR hours from the first screen they grabbed until they finished their purchase moments later!

So the time changing after purchasing the $ILL finally got me today! I don’t know how many times I have purchased and not had issues and honestly assumed the people who were complaining just weren’t paying enough attention 😬🙈😂 sorry guys! But this morning, FOP went from 8:30am (tip board time), to my personal selection of 10:10-11:10 (payment confirmation screen) to 12:35-1:35 (final confirmation). I get why everyone is so frustrated when this happens and Disney seriously needs to put a stop to it. Especially 10 min later when I go back and all the times are once again available, but now I can’t modify and am stuck with what they gave me 😡

It is happening daily at WDW and sometimes hours later than initial screen time displayed.

In the Genie Strategy thread today, someone shared their experience for Flight of Passage and their time changed by more than FOUR hours from the first screen they grabbed until they finished their purchase moments later!
I find this kind of shocking and it seems like a bait and switch issue. Is there any wording in the purchasing process that mentions the time may change? If not I would think this could be a legal issue for Disney. I’ve only used G+once and didn’t have an issue so didn’t notice.

I find this kind of shocking and it seems like a bait and switch issue. Is there any wording in the purchasing process that mentions the time may change? If not I would think this could be a legal issue for Disney. I’ve only used G+once and didn’t have an issue so didn’t notice.
The issue is it's a simple fix. Put a 30 second save on that time once it's clicked. Atleast you would hit the error sooner and not be surprised by a new time. They have some time related small print but I don't think it's enough for what's happening.

The issue is it's a simple fix. Put a 30 second save on that time once it's clicked. Atleast you would hit the error sooner and not be surprised by a new time. They have some time related small print but I don't think it's enough for what's happening.
I agree. It seems simple enough to have a save/hold time. At least we would be aware. It seems so simple and easy and the fact that there isn’t one is so odd.

I agree. It seems simple enough to have a save/hold time. At least we would be aware. It seems so simple and easy and the fact that there isn’t one is so odd.
I don’t think it’s a simple fix due to the way Disney has set up Genie+. They have put limitations on in that thousands and thousands of people are eligible to book a LL/ILL$ reservation at the exact same second.

They can’t really put a hold on the grab as so many are being shown the exact same times at the same moment. They would need to offer various times to select and by doing that they could hold the times but when everyone is ready at the same second snd all are offered ‘next available’ it’s a recipe for disaster.

I don’t think it’s a simple fix due to the way Disney has set up Genie+. They have put limitations on in that thousands and thousands of people are eligible to book a LL/ILL$ reservation at the exact same second.

They can’t really put a hold on the grab as so many are being shown the exact same times at the same moment. They would need to offer various times to select and by doing that they could hold the times but when everyone is ready at the same second snd all are offered ‘next available’ it’s a recipe for disaster.
You are correct the menu for picking a time would be where the error of [this time is no longer available]. So you would see 10am slinky go to hit it and it kicks back with a new time since someone else grabbed the 10 before you. So in the span of 30 seconds you could get 5-10 different times and hope you get the next screen where that time is locked in.

Does this make more work for the customer. Yes. But it makes it so you aware of the time you are really getting.

Last edited:

It is a terrible bait and switch, IMO. When this happened to me in DLR with my Space Mtn Genie+ reservation, I first backed out of the screen that shot my return window ahead hours and saw that the 7:30pm window was still available on the selection screen. So I choose it again. But again, the next screen showed a return time three hours later. I went back and forth a few times trying to get the 7:30pm return window which was still listed. Never did. But I took screen shots of everything, accepted the 10:30pm return time, and went to Guest Services. They wouldn't honor the 7:30pm time that was showing and stated that "it says the return window can change at any time." I asked them where it says that. The answer was "within the selection screens..." Oh, right. You mean the pages I'm clicking on so fast I barely register anything except HURRY HURRY HURRY get that LL!!! Gee, thanks.

I just went to the WDW/DL websites to read all the fine print about Genie+/LL. I didn't see anything that stated clearly the return window can be modified and changed after you make a selection. They really should address this issue.

You are correct the menu for picking a time would be where the error of [this time is no longer available]. So you would see 10am slinky go to hit it and it kicks back with a new time since someone else grabbed the 10 before you. So in the span of 30 seconds you could get 5-10 different times and hope you get the next screen where that time is locked in.

Does this make more work for the customer. Yes. But it makes it so you aware of the time you are really getting.
MaxPass at Disneyland worked like this, but so much better, IMO. You could choose a return hour from a selection of many hours, depending on whether the attraction had that much availability. Towards the end of the day, you'd maybe see only one hour listed. You could then choose the hour return (let's say 5-6pm) and it would take you to the next screen where it would dial down the window if the first selection was not available. So you'd maybe see 5:55-6:55pm and would then decide if that worked for you, HOWEVER, that was the place holder. That was the time held for you for however many seconds they designated until you a) clicked accept or b) went back to look for something else. And if you happened to wait too long and the hold was released, it would tell you when you clicked accept and you had to go back and start over.

The point being, once the system had altered your return time and made you aware of it - the monkey business stopped. That was the return window you were given if you didn't delay in accepting. So they can do this.

Understanding that not everyone was utilizing MP, I still feel like Disney should be able to deliver this level of service for Genie+ because not everyone is using that option either, right? Wasn't it announced that "almost a third" of guest are buying Genie+???😉

I thought it was happening with ILL - I didn’t think it was happening for regular LL. Has someone had this happen with LL?

It doesn’t say at what point in the process times may change, but it does say it right there on the tip board page where you book LL from.
D998D7C9-20C5-4F54-B0B9-12DB719A0D96.jpeg

Question for a new person to all things Genie Plus.
About how much are the individual lightning lane prices for Ratatouille, Avatar FOP, 7DMT and ROR ?
We are in the parks 5/6-5/14.
Thanks for any help!

I thought it was happening with ILL - I didn’t think it was happening for regular LL. Has someone had this happen with LL?

Yes, it happens with G+ LL also. The more popular the attraction, the more dramatic the time change can be. But the ILL have the most extreme time changes.

Question for a new person to all things Genie Plus.
About how much are the individual lightning lane prices for Ratatouille, Avatar FOP, 7DMT and ROR ?
We are in the parks 5/6-5/14.
Thanks for any help!
It's variable/dynamic pricing, so the price varies by the day. From the WDW website

"Prices vary by date, attraction and park. For example, the Lightning Lane entrance to Remy's Ratatouille Adventure will be $9 plus tax (USD) per person on October 19 and $11 plus tax (USD) per person on October 23. As another example, on both those dates, Lightning Lane entrance to Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain will be $7 plus tax (USD) per person, while Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be $15 plus tax (USD) per person. Throughout the year, prices may be lower on some days and higher on other days. This option may be purchased at up to 2 different attractions each day."

There's a good blog post about it here

If I book a LL for SDD at let’s say 6:00pm and with refreshing an earlier time becomes available, am I able to switch to the earlier time or is it advised not to do that?

So I just tried to update my MDE app on my iPhone 6 in preparation for my upcoming May trip to start practicing manipulating Genie+. But lo and behold, my phone is apparently not new enough. I have the latest OS the 6 can update to but it isn't new enough. My DH has the same phone.
SO, do we have any options at all other than spending $2grand on new phones? I tried to find a way to do Genie+ using the online MDE access, but couldn't seem to make that happen either.
Not feeling very good about this right now! Any alternatives?

So I just tried to update my MDE app on my iPhone 6 in preparation for my upcoming May trip to start practicing manipulating Genie+. But lo and behold, my phone is apparently not new enough. I have the latest OS the 6 can update to but it isn't new enough. My DH has the same phone.
SO, do we have any options at all other than spending $2grand on new phones? I tried to find a way to do Genie+ using the online MDE access, but couldn't seem to make that happen either.
Not feeling very good about this right now! Any alternatives?
I have a google phone and they are like 200-300$

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter