Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

After you feel you have a grasp of the basics and are interested in other guests' experiences, start near the end of this thread - don't start at the beginning, because many, many things have changed since then.

I've seen different posts in ref to how to work the Genie + system and I'm still confused, and I was hoping someone out there could give me a dummy version for how to use it?
Maybe try to google for a recent video from a vlogger if you’ll learn better that way.

Last edited:

Am I correct in thinking that on an AK early morning with a 7am entry, with G+ I'll be able to snag a LL at 7 and then the 2nd at 9:30am since the park opens at 7:30am when we're going?

Question on Genie+ for a mixed AP/day ticket party. Myself and my DH have APs but the rest of the group doesn’t. The day ticket people haven’t pre-purchased G+, but my park pass reservation for just the APs shows up separately from the park pass reservation for the day ticket people. As in one is a reservation for 2 and the other is a reservation for 3. Is this to be expected? Will I still be able to book ILL and purchase G+ for the entire group?

I have been practicing adding SDD to my tip board and testing looking for LL at 7am (from home to understand the process before our trip next month). For the most part, for any park, when I refresh the tip board at anytime, it is fine and shows current LL availability. However, at exactly 7 am, when I set park to HS and refresh, it spins and gives an error message. By the time I get back in at 7:00:30 maybe, it’s already late afternoon times. Should I expect this to happen in the parks or is genie+ more well behaved when you actually are able to book. If not, how do I fix it?

We tried to get to rotr for rope drop. We would have done awesome. We were first in our line to tap, but it was down. I reluctantly checked for a ILL around 7:50am after riding smugglers run. I found one for 8:30am and it was quickly converted to an anytime pass. We rode right as it came online around 10:15 right before our SDD 10:30 genie+. Tapped in at 10:25 and booked a second genie+ beating all the 120min rule people.

I have been practicing adding SDD to my tip board and testing looking for LL at 7am (from home to understand the process before our trip next month). For the most part, for any park, when I refresh the tip board at anytime, it is fine and shows current LL availability. However, at exactly 7 am, when I set park to HS and refresh, it spins and gives an error message. By the time I get back in at 7:00:30 maybe, it’s already late afternoon times. Should I expect this to happen in the parks or is genie+ more well behaved when you actually are able to book. If not, how do I fix it?
  • getting a late afternoon time for SDD at 7:00:30 is about average, so I wouldn't stress this too much.
  • To try for better, use the fastest and most stable Internet connection you have access to
    • I had a good experience using offsite WIFI when booking G+
    • Disney's WIFI may be clogged with other guests trying to book at 7AM
    • You may have better luck with cellular service
  • Also worth a try is trying different devices to see which is most stable
    • I used an iPhone7 and had no problems
  • Generally I got Tip Board to refresh ready for booking at 7:00:03 or so.

We tried to get to rotr for rope drop. We would have done awesome. We were first in our line to tap, but it was down. I reluctantly checked for a ILL around 7:50am after riding smugglers run. I found one for 8:30am and it was quickly converted to an anytime pass. We rode right as it came online around 10:15 right before our SDD 10:30 genie+. Tapped in at 10:25 and booked a second genie+ beating all the 120min rule people.
Adding the second half of the day on to this after a long pool break. We got TOT, RnR (for half the party) and Toystory mania (for the other half) then Alien SS. We waited standby for Toy Story Mania (10min around 8:30am), Star Tours (no standby wait around 6pm) and a Mickey and Minnie RR (25 min around 8:15pm). RnR and TSM were rode twice standby and with LL.

So each person got 4 genie + at HS with a good break in the middle of the day so I avoided times during this. Also I kept an eye on RnR when it was down and headed over there as soon as it came up and we had a shorter wait then when we had a LL pass. During our break at the hotel I spent about 10min refreshing times and got RnR around 2pm for 6pm. I wanted MMRR but I could never get it.

Last edited:
I see that trying to book G+ LLs for a park you plan to hop to (i.e. you don't have a park reservation for), it automatically shows you only 2pm and later return times.

Is that true also for booking an ILL$? If I have an MK park reservation and try to get an ROTR ILL$, will it only show 2pm+ windows?

I have a strange situation in my MDE tickets/passes. We have 4 unactivated AP vouchers and 4 - 8 Day PH tickets saved in our MDE. When I tried to make Park Reservations, it wouldn't let me reserve under the On-Site Resort/Tickets section and would force me to try to reserve as an AP, even though I have no intention of using our APs for our upcoming trip. Using the chat feature, a CM was able to secure all of my park reservations for me. This worries me if we decide to change our plans to start at a different park, I might have to have a CM change it for me.
So, I'm in charge of G+ for our party of 8 people (the other 4 just have 8 Day PH tix) and I am worried that it's going to glich on me like the park reservations did. I am planning on buying G+ for us day of before 7am. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like mine?

I see that trying to book G+ LLs for a park you plan to hop to (i.e. you don't have a park reservation for), it automatically shows you only 2pm and later return times.

Is that true also for booking an ILL$? If I have an MK park reservation and try to get an ROTR ILL$, will it only show 2pm+ windows?
Yes. $ILL's are subject to the automatic post-2pm return time when hopping, just like G+.

How do I move my preferences to the top of the tip board? I have tix linked to my account that are for may - is there a way for me to practice with the tip board without messing with my tix? I’m not sure I’m understanding how to look at a park I want to hop to on my tip board. Any links or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Today our Remy ILL jumped time after we confirmed and it conflicted with our ADR. DD used online chat and they moved our party of 7 to 9:00! It was a lighter crowd early open so that may have helped, but we felt pixie dusted. So…try using online chat instead of waiting in line at guest experience, or while waiting in line to see who comes through first.

We are a party of 10(two families) traveling to WDW in a couple months. All 10 of our tickets are linked and I am able to make see everyone's passes in my app and make dining reservations for everyone. This morning I was watching the ILL rides in the app and clicked on one to get an idea of the next screen. I obviously wouldn't be able to move any farther as I don't have a reservation for today, but I noticed that only the 6 people in my family were listed? I want to get this figured out so I can book ILL's for our entire party when we go. Thank you for any advice!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i see you can do a max of 2 x ILLs per day, and there are currently only 1 available in each park. My question is: can you book the same ILL ride twice in one day, or is park hopping the only way to hit the max limit (2) of ILLs in one day?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i see you can do a max of 2 x ILLs per day, and there are currently only 1 available in each park. My question is: can you book the same ILL ride twice in one day, or is park hopping the only way to hit the max limit (2) of ILLs in one day?
The only way to book two ILL in one day, is if you have parkhopper tickets so you can buy a ride in another park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter