Every Wish That We Put Into Motion.... (comments welcome!)

It definitely isn't too soon. I just started in earnest this weekend.

I don't understand the words "too many." Is that a thing? If pressed, I would probably say that it would be defined as more pairs of shoes than the number of days that you're going to be gone.
But surely that number gets automatically increased for runners? I think I had 9 pairs of shoes for my W&D trip (3 pair of race shoes, 3 pair of park shoes, and 3 pair of flip flops) 😅😅

But surely that number gets automatically increased for runners? I think I had 9 pairs of shoes for my W&D trip (3 pair of race shoes, 3 pair of park shoes, and 3 pair of flip flops) 😅😅

Okay, I can compromise. Maybe one pair of shoes for each race plus one per day of your trip? Although not to exceed on full suitcase.

@DopeyBadger is there a significant reason I shouldn't move my weekday runs around this week?

I'm scheduled for Tuesday-rest, Wednesday-5mi EA, Thursday 5mi EA, Friday-4mi EA. I'm wanting to switch Tuesday and Wednesday since DH should be home from work early (I might be able to run outside), and it gives me more wiggle room for the rest of the week when he's gone on his trip. Plus, surprise there's a basketball scrimmage 45min away on Wednesday that I might have to drive the older boys to.

I feel like you're going to say it's fine, because it's better for me to do the miles then to end up skipping them, but the Dopey factor is sticking in my brain (probably unnecessarily)

If I DO switch Tuesday/Wednesday it will have put my past few days as Saturday- 5mi (2miEA+3mi M....65min), Sunday-8mi EA (112min), Monday 4mi EA (56min), Tuesday 5mi EA (70min). And I usually don't run 4 days in a row. For whatever that's worth.....probably nothing. :snail:

That would be 12 pairs of shoes. 😂😂 And definitely be a full suitcase since I wear a women’s 10.5 shoe! My husband would be horrified. I’ll probably “only” take 6.

I travel a LOT and am a pretty efficient packer. Last year for Dopey I took two pairs of the same model of running shoes (rotated for each race -- one pair for 5K and half, the other for 10K and full), a pair of good walking sandals, my recovery sandals, foldable flats for our celebration dinner, and a pair of training shoes that were ready to be retired from running. It was more than enough, and I probably didn't need the trainers since I just wore sandals in the warm weather, but you never know. I could have also gotten way with the trainers in the shorter races had there been rain and a chance my shoes wouldn't be dry two days later.

Where I really have to plan packing is with my costumes. I use space bags and packing cubes to separate each outfit for each race, compressing anything puffy or bulky and rolling the rest. I usually put my 5K outfit and any race shoes for the weekend, plus anything I may need or the first 48 hours, in my carry-on. I hate checking a bag, but we fly direct (less risk of rerouted luggage) and have status (ie no fees), so I suck it up and pack the rest in a checked bag (or two).

YES! Space bags to save the carry-on from all of the tutus! We have a layover in Chicago, so even though we arrive on Monday I'm not risking all of my costumes in a checked bag. Between myself and DH we will probably have one carry-on of costumes and one with all of our first-48 essentials.

All of you early packers are people after my own heart. My husband thinks it’s nuts and usually waits until the day before, but when we first lived together he would wait until the morning of. That stressed me out to no end, so I got him to at least do it the day before. I will probably start once I finish putting up Christmas trees and such.

All of you early packers are people after my own heart. My husband thinks it’s nuts and usually waits until the day before, but when we first lived together he would wait until the morning of. That stressed me out to no end, so I got him to at least do it the day before. I will probably start once I finish putting up Christmas trees and such.

I don't pack everything early, but I start a "pile of things I don't want to forget" as soon as my brain starts nagging me about those things. I also keep all my costume bits together when I start making and buying things, so that pile grows over time.

I don't pack everything early, but I start a "pile of things I don't want to forget" as soon as my brain starts nagging me about those things. I also keep all my costume bits together when I start making and buying things, so that pile grows over time.
I make a list of things I know I'll need, but don't pile them up until it's time to pack.

Given the sort of person I am, about half the list is various chargers and cables.

I haven’t started packing just yet because if I did I would end up unpacking it all a week before we left because I would be paranoid I forgot something.

I have started my grocery list for my pick-up order though. I had last (this 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️) year’s to reference and it’s pretty much the same: drinks, breakfast stuff, snacks, water, and coffee paraphernalia.

My mom is a lot like your husband and it drives me CRAZY. I need to be packed the night before and always try to get to bed at a reasonable time (particularly since a lot of our trips start pretty early in the morning). I don't understand people who wait until the last minute.

Last year I waited until the day before we left to start packing because I wasn't 100% sure that we were going (I was stressed about the COVID surge and the weather and my injury). It was such a mistake. I was exhausted before we even got on the plane. I vowed that this year I would do things VERY differently. And it's going to be even more important because the days before I leave are going to be extremely hectic at work and then my flight is scheduled to leave two hours after I get out of work on Tuesday. Starting to pack is an exercise in self-preservation.

4479fd1e1923bb0dca0b8acdcbec7250.jpg

Given the sort of person I am, about half the list is various chargers and cables.

I've been debating about whether I actually need a second cord for my Garmin. That is the one cord that I don't have a duplicate of - and the one that would cause a crisis if I forgot to pack. They aren't super expensive, but do I really need one?

NEXT MONTH we are running all of the races. I can't believe at this point I can say that it's next month. Yikes.

Catching back up on the training:

Monday: 4mi EA treadmill. I don't remember anything about this run.

Tuesday: Scheduled rest day.

Wednesday: 5mi EA DH left for his hunting trip, and DD didn't nap. And, and, and. Stayed up too late watching TV.

Thursday: 5mi EA treadmill. Yes. This felt fantastic. Tried walking for 30sec at the end of each half mile instead of 1min-ish at the end of each mile. Can't say if it really did anything beneficial, but my brain appreciated the change. AVG HR was 134, which is so so so close to me getting these easy runs into zone 2 for average. My HR comes down really quickly during the walk breaks now, so that help push the average down. But now that I look at it, during my Monday run, where I walked at the end of each mile, my avg HR was 140. So maybe the more frequent, shorter walk "breaks" are beneficial?

Thursday: 5mi EA treadmill. Yes. This felt fantastic. Tried walking for 30sec at the end of each half mile instead of 1min-ish at the end of each mile. Can't say if it really did anything beneficial, but my brain appreciated the change. AVG HR was 134, which is so so so close to me getting these easy runs into zone 2 for average. My HR comes down really quickly during the walk breaks now, so that help push the average down. But now that I look at it, during my Monday run, where I walked at the end of each mile, my avg HR was 140. So maybe the more frequent, shorter walk "breaks" are beneficial?

This is definitely my experience. When I had my lingering cold and my HR was shooting up during easy runs, I tried switching to 45/30 instead of 60/30 or 90/30 and that kept it under control. I wonder what 45/15 would do? (Though that would be a PITA on the treadmill.)

This is definitely my experience. When I had my lingering cold and my HR was shooting up during easy runs, I tried switching to 45/30 instead of 60/30 or 90/30 and that kept it under control. I wonder what 45/15 would do? (Though that would be a PITA on the treadmill.)
30 is about as short as I can go on any intervals on the treadmill because of how long it takes for the speed to adjust. AND, speed changes seem to aggravate my PF/achilles more than steady-state running, more if I am running at a faster pace. I think it's maybe because I favor one leg when I start to brake or accelerate the pace.

What a dumpster fire of a week. Ih ad a terrible time falling asleep pretty much every night, adjusting to staggered and late-running basketball practices and completely failing on planning suppers on those nights, DD not napping, DH being on his trip, it all just snowballed.
I missed a few runs last week.

This week I started off OK, but then it quickly careened downhill.
I missed Wednesday's 5mi but managed Thursday's run (previous post.)

Friday: 4mi EA

Saturday: intended to make up at least something for the missed mileage, but ended up spending 4hrs sitting on the bleachers at a scrimmage, dozed off on the couch that evening when I had intended to try to get on the treadmill.

Sunday: 9mi EA + 4mi M 90min EA (about a 10k) I'm absolutely exhausted. My upper quads/hip flexors started acting weird about an hour in, and even coffee and caffeinated fuels have not perked me up at all today. I haven't eaten well this week, haven't slept well, and I'm not hydrated by any means. And to top things off, DH is reffing 4 out of 5 nights this coming week (and probably all of the weeks leading up to Christmas break.) It appears that I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and try running early in the morning.

I'm also realizing that when I run in the evening (like.....after 6) I have a terrible time falling asleep. And my body is ready to be done for the day. So even when I intend to run in the evening, it usually doesn't happen.

I'm also realizing that when I run in the evening (like.....after 6) I have a terrible time falling asleep. And my body is ready to be done for the day. So even when I intend to run in the evening, it usually doesn't happen.
Absolutely. This was part of what drove me to get a treadmill this summer. I was having to wait for the sun to drop below the treeline, so I wasn’t starting until 7 some nights and finishing right before bedtime. It’s so hard to wind down to sleep right after exercise. I hope you can make mornings work for you headed into the home stretch!

I'm also realizing that when I run in the evening (like.....after 6) I have a terrible time falling asleep.

This is the main reason I try to run early in the morning. When I run after dinner, I'm too hyper to go to bed early. It sucks getting up, but you do feel better afterwards knowing you've done your running for the day.

I love the feeling of having my run out of the way early, but my body prefers to run after lunch. Thankfully, working from home and having a treadmill helps, but if I get busy, all bets are off. On weekends, I'm consistent with timing and that's helped me stay on better track for long runs. I think I'd have more success if I picked a time and stuck to it. But evenings are just too easy to skip imho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter