• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Every Mile is a Miracle

We decided to call it a night because we had to be up super early to make it to Universal Studios the next morning at opening. We hit up the Uva Bar for dinner. I finally tried my first (and last) Frose. It was meh. Bay fell asleep on the table. I ate Steak Frites and most of her Mac n Cheese.

Hurricane Hannah's will fix this frose issue.

Ummm... Sounds like the BEST DAY EVER!!! What a blast!! Bay is the sweetest- you guys got some great pictures!
(And I love your Rose Gold Ears!)
It was the best day ever for sure! We couldn't squeeze every thing into one day but I am happy with what we accomplished. And yes, I love my Rose Gold Ears!! It was the first time I was able to wear them!

Awesome trip report so far! I really need to get to DL sooner than later. I love all the ratings out of 5.
YES YOU DO! Come visit! I added the 5 star rating as an after thought, but wanted to give a 6 year old's perspective on things, haha.

I agree with Bay on almost everything. Not sure what it says that my taste is the same as a 6 year old ... other than that Bay is clearly awesome.

You guys got a lot done that day - sounds like an awesome day! I gotta go back and get myself on Incredicoaster....
Hahaha, it's too bad she isn't coming to Marathon weekend. ;)

Amazing day!! You guys did so much.
Almost, maybe, too much. Haha. We were so exhausted.

Sounds like a great day.

As a side note, Tower of Terror in Disney World had randomized drop sequences for years. You never know what you are going to get. Tower of Terror in DCA never had the randomized drop sequences. However, the Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout change introduced the randomized drop sequences into the attraction. There are if memory serves, 5 or 6 different song possibilities for Mission Breakout.

In my opinion, Mission Breakout is an improvement over the old DCA Tower of Terror because of the randomized drops, but still not as good as the original Tower of Terror in Florida. So, I like the changes, but would not be happy if they did this in Florida.

I have mixed feelings about the Incredicoaster. I know I love the new theme better, but also would love to see a full blown Incredibles attraction instead of a simple roller coaster retheme and I fear that won't happen now, at least on the west coast.

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD – Saturday 8/4/2018
PART ONE

We knew that this morning was going to be hard on everyone because we were up until about midnight the night before and it was a 45 minute drive from Anaheim to Hollywood. Also, because we purchased our tickets on the Universal website, we were given access to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter an hour before the rest of the part opened. Someone on the internet said most people buy their tickets online, so most people will be there for that but honestly the gate lines were NOTHING compared to Disneyland. So we HAD to be at the gate before 8am to be sure we could get the most out of our day and I am soooo glad that we were able to do it. Two days and two rope drops. Literally unheard of for our family!

IMG_7354.jpg

We made it to Universal around 7:30 and walked through the dead City Walk area, nothing like Downtown Disney in the mornings. We met my mom at the gate and got in line with her. Like I said, nothing like the lines at Disneyland.

IMG_7364.jpg
IMG_7365.jpg

I’m checking my Swarm app because I wanted to use that as a way to remember when we went on rides and such, but right now I can’t figure out what time they actually let us in and to the rope and then let us beyond the rope. But I want to assume it was like 7:55 to the rope and rope drop at 8:00. In any rate, we walked straight to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and I cried all the tears. I was just like so taken back by how well they did this place. It was like we were really there!!! We headed straight to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. This is hands down the best ride I have ever been on in my entire life. HANDS DOWN. THE BEST. OMG.

IMG_7367.jpg
IMG_7375.jpg

Ride: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Bay Approval: 4/5 (I didn’t like the Dragon, or the Spiders, or the Ghosts (Dementors), but I liked when they all cheered for me in the Great Hall!)
Wet Meter: 2/5

----------------------------------

After that we jumped over to the Flight of the Hippogriff, which was fun but definitely not worth anything over a 20 minute wait.

Ride: Flight of the Hippogriff
Bay Approval: 5/5
Wet Meter: 0/5

And then… just to be safe… we jumped back in the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey line which was at about 30 minutes by then and did it again. We knew we probably weren’t going to get another chance and the rest of the park wasn’t even open yet anyway.

Seriously, best ride ever.

IMG_7384.jpg

Once we got those knocked out we didn’t really know what to do, so we let Bay pick. She wanted to do the Kung Fu Panda Adventure. I have never seen the Kung Fu Panda. I hope to meet him in person during DATW though (@rteetz). ;) The wait was only about 15 minutes and the ride was totally unexpected. The seats moved as you watched a 3D movie and it was so awesome. I kind of wish all movies were this interactive.

Ride: Kung Fu Panda Adventure

It was getting to be about the time that the “Lower Lot” was opening and we were really here for two things: Harry Potter and to go on the OG Jurassic Park ride because they are closing it down at the beginning of September to change it to Jurassic World. The thing is, I knew it was a water ride -- I watched the ride on YouTube, but I wasn’t expecting the amount of wet that they kept warning about. I was over being wet after spending 40% of my night at Disneyland soaking wet. Plus, I had to pee really bad while we waited in line for like 45 minutes. The dread for this ride was real high. BUT we got the best seats, in the middle of the boat. The ride was cute but old. The part where the Jeep was supposed to come down wasn’t working. The T Rex was scary. The drop was amazing. And yeah we got soaked. But only my head and my shirt and not my shorts or my shoes. HELL YES THANK YOU. I’m excited to see what they do with this ride to update it.

IMG_7388.jpg

Ride: Jurassic Park
Bay Approval: 2/5 (Did not like the drop)
Wet Meter: 5/5

At this point in the day my mom sprung some info on us that my Step-Sister’s husband’s brother, Ryan, works at Universal and gets on shift at 11:30 and would be able to get us on the front of the line for the Studio Tour and probably get us some Express Passes. OH OKAY. But we had to meet up with him later, around 12:45, so we had some time to kill. Lunch at Krusty Burger with a Duff will kill some time.

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7394.jpg

Brad tried to get a picture with Homer while drinking a Duff beer. Apparently "beer can't be in the picture at all", well whatever lady, I got the shot we wanted kind of. Haha.

IMG_7404.jpg

Once we got those knocked out we didn’t really know what to do, so we let Bay pick. She wanted to do the Kung Fu Panda Adventure. I have never seen the Kung Fu Panda. I hope to meet him in person during DATW though (@rteetz). ;) The wait was only about 15 minutes and the ride was totally unexpected. The seats moved as you watched a 3D movie and it was so awesome. I kind of wish all movies were this interactive.
Not funny...

PART TWO

After lunch, we met up with Ryan and he hooked us up with 3 sets of Express Passes and got us on the Studio Tour. I learned a lot about movie making that I just didn’t realize because I am naïve, I guess, I don’t know. I just assumed they closed down all of NYC and blew up bridges and rebuilt them. /shrug But I guess they don’t do that. The Studio Tour was a lot of fun, I would even say a must do if you never have.

IMG_7422.jpg

Ride: Studio Tour
Bay Approval: 3/5 (She seemed bored and didn’t like any of the cool stuff, whatever kid.)
Wet Meter: 3/5

Next my mom and Brad went to the Walking Dead Attraction and me and Bay went and got a shake to share. I have never watched The Walking Dead and I just wasn’t in the mood for Zombies and screaming, so I never went through it. Brad said it was meh.

Drink: Swirl Shake at Mel’s Diner

Since we had three rides we could use these Express Passes on, we figured we would be nice and use one on a ride Bay wanted to do – Despicable Me Minion Mayhem! The best part of these Express Passes is that it usually gets you immediately inside for the queue and it was a hot day in the sun so we were most grateful for that. The ride was okay. I’m not a huge Minion fan. They are weird.

IMG_7434.jpg

Ride: Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
Wet Meter: 1/5 just a few drops

We decided that it was time to make the trek back to the Lower Lot. Universal is spread out and it’s really annoying to get to everything. I want to guess that if we didn’t get these Express Passes that we probably wouldn’t have even tried to ride the other two rides on the lower lot. The wait times were over 100 minutes and I just cannot with that.

First we did the Mummy ride, where we learned that there was a remake with Tom Cruise recently that flopped as a part of this movie reboot series Universal was trying to do. I’ve never seen a single Mummy movie. I’m just here for the rides. This coaster was pretty fun, but a little short. It goes forwards and then backwards, which I like. Definitely not worth a 125 minute wait time though.

Ride: Revenge of The Mummy
Bay Approval: 2/5 (too dark and didn’t like the ghosts)

And finally to finish off the Lower Lot, we did the Transformers Ride. This was very similar to the Harry Potter ride, so it was pretty fun, but I still have no desire to see these terrible movies. TERRIBLE AWFUL MOVIES.

Ride: Transformers: The Ride 3D
Bay Approval: 5/5 super fun!
Wet Meter: 2/5 WHY WAS WATER INVOLVED AT ALL

With some time to kill before our next attraction, we headed to Moe’s Tavern for some more beer. Now at this point I was on Day Thirteen of my Margarita Streak but I didn’t even look to see if Universal served Margaritas….. So I broke my streak. Womp, womp. It’s probably for the best. Anyway, Duff Light > Duff.

IMG_7436.jpg

This lady ruined my picture with her stupid face and her stupid Dodgers hat.

IMG_0035.JPG

We headed to the Water World show and sat as far away from the splash zone as possible. We felt like literally every ride spray water on you at some point and we were making sure to not get wet at the attraction that actually tells you where you will get wet. This was a really fun show! I never saw Water World but now I kind of want to see it.

Ride: Water World the Show
Wet Meter: 11/5 if you sit in the wrong spot and 0/5 if you’re smart like us

After that we stopped so Bay could get a picture with Puss N Boots. Shrek photobombed.

IMG_7440.jpg

Then it was time to go to Ollivanders. The wait was about 15 minutes and my mom was like “WHAT ARE WE EVEN IN LINE FOR???” (Clearly not a HP fan.) I loved the little show they did. It was just like being in the book. Bay wasn’t a fan of the show because the magic scared her. /eyeroll Then we ended up not getting a wand because I felt overwhelmed.

IMG_7449.jpg

After that we headed to the Three Broomsticks for dinner. We finally got to try some Butter Beer. I knew I wasn’t going to like it because I don’t like cream soda, but I tried it anyway.

IMG_7450.jpg

We headed over to Honeyduke’s so I could get a Chocolate Frog and a Pumpkin Pasty. YUM.

IMG_7456.jpg

After that we headed to the Three Broomsticks for dinner. We finally got to try some Butter Beer. I knew I wasn’t going to like it because I don’t like cream soda, but I tried it anyway.

The bolded part just makes me sad.

PART THREE

All of the queues were still really long for like everything so we took this time to walk around and get some character pictures.

Of course we get the weird looking Minion... :scared:

IMG_7466.jpg

But Branch and Poppy were cute and sweet!

IMG_7478.jpg

And well, I mean BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE!!!

IMG_7468.jpg

We were really trying to hold out to watch the Light Show at Hogwarts because everyone was raving about it. So we hopped in line for the Flight of the Hippogriff for one more go at that. While we were in line, the show happened and we could kind of see it. Brad thought it was just a pre-show to the real thing. Then it happened again while we were waiting in line and we just kind of glanced at each other. Then we were able to ride the Hippogriff as the previous show was just ending so we saw fireworks and the lights on the castle and it was AMAZING. Then we found a spot to watch the show and it was the same crap they had been showing and it wasn’t amazing and light shows don’t impress me. So we called it a night.

IMG_7482.jpg

We almost stopped at Margaritaville to keep the Margarita streak alive but Bay was like dead tired and my good parenting skills kicked in for a second, so we left at about 10pm and headed to our hotel.

BEACH DAY / GO HOME Sunday 8/5/2018

We always try to schedule in some beach time when we go to California. It's always the part of our trip that makes me want to move here the most. We usually sit on the beach with either coffee or booze and look at houses around us on Zillow and laugh at how we could never afford them. It's not depressing at all. Nope. No way.

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7489.jpg

We already had lunch planned, so we headed out to this place I saw on Instagram that someone was consuming a 20" pizza slice at and OMG I HAD TO HAVE IT. But it took us almost 30 minutes to find parking near it and the spot we found was only a 15 minute spot and it was busy and I didn't even know if this was something I could order by the slice or if I had to buy a whole pie... So I panicked and had an anxiety attack and just ordered a few slices that were normal sized, while Brad got a sandwich and Bay got Lasagna. Brad had to leave to move our car to a better spot and we just waited there for our food. Finally Brad was back and we had food and we found a spot outside and ate. The pizza was really good but it would have been better if it was 20" long. The Lasagna was amazing and tasted super homemade. I would definitely come back here and get a full 20" pie.

IMG_7493.jpg

After that we started our way back east but had to make a pit stop at The Bruery to pick up some of our membership beers and of course, get a flight.

IMG_7495.jpg

And that, guys, is how we spent our last weekend of Summer.
Bay is back in school now and life is getting back into the school year routine...
As I sit here and plan our next Disney trip: Mickey's Halloween Party!!

Not funny...
:lovestruc:upsidedow:lovestruc:upsidedow

We were also told no beers in a photo with Snow White while running the WDW Marathon. I mean, are they all teetotalers? I think not!
HA! That is super lame, too!

The bolded part just makes me sad.
Yeahhhh, I just have never been a fan of cream soda. And when I googled what Butter Beer was I was like, "ah man..." But I loved the Pumpkin Juice!!

In any rate, we walked straight to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and I cried all the tears. I was just like so taken back by how well they did this place.
Then you need to experience the Florida version. They also have Diagon Alley and the Hogwarts Express. Or Tokyo where they have a large body of water surrounding Hogwarts.

I never saw Water World but now I kind of want to see it.
I never understood why Univeral, which works very hard to keep up to date on popular IPs has a stunt show themed to a movie that was a box office disaster and not very good either.

Then we ended up not getting a wand because I felt overwhelmed.
My phoenix heartstring wand chose me. Likely because I think Frank Costanza of Seinfeld is one of the all time great TV characters. And he said the following: "I'm like a phoenix, rising out of Arizona."

This lady ruined my picture with her stupid face and her stupid Dodgers hat.
One of my best friends is a Dodgers fan. So when I last met up with him, I made sure to wear an SF Giants World Series champions shirt one day to remind him.

As much as I enjoyed the Jurassic Park ride, the illusion gets wrecked when I can see the back of the T Rex is really just a robot. Seriously, they didn't fully cover up the animatronic when you see the T Rex at the top of the lift.

Maybe someday when I go to Universal I'll see Doc Brown and get a picture with him. Otherwise, I got a photo with Homer Simpson and the Transformers. At Universal Orlando, I got some photos with random wizard and a velociraptor.

Great trip report. May have to head out to California some day!
If runDisney brings the Disneyland races back (and they better :darth:), you need to earn that coast to coast medal. And visiting the only theme park in the world built by Walt Disney himself? Definitely worth it.

Some of us like to note the following. Walt Disney World has the Magic Kingdom. It's called that for a reason. Disneyland is Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. It's different. Again for a reason.

Bonus: you can pace me on a race haha!

::yes::

If runDisney brings the Disneyland races back (and they better :darth:), you need to earn that coast to coast medal. And visiting the only theme park in the world built by Walt Disney himself? Definitely worth it.

Some of us like to note the following. Walt Disney World has the Magic Kingdom. It's called that for a reason. Disneyland is Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. It's different. Again for a reason.

We shall see. It might be some time, but it's on the list.

Sounds like you had a great weekend! I really need to get out to CA at some point, but it is so far from MA. Two people from my office get to head out there in November, and I was hoping to be picked, but it looks like I get to go to the exciting land of Long Island. Some day I will make it there. I cannot believe that you are already back to school. We have at least 2 more weeks of summer here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter