• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever use a storage unit?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
We may have to store my daughter's apartment furnishings (1 bedroom apt) and I'm wondering how much I can "look forward" to paying per month. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Costs can vary quite a bit depending on where you are and so I suggest checking around in your vicinity. Sometimes going an extra 15 or 20 miles can make a difference. I will caution you that in some areas, storage units, especially the larger ones, are in high demand and can be hard to come by. The place by me shows only 1 unit left that is 10x15 and it goes for $307 a month.

It's been almost 20 years ago that I rented one, but it was about $100/month then for one that fit an apartments worth of furniture.

Thank you. I just called one and it was quoted as $219 a month for a 1 bedroom apt of furnishings.

I say call around the nearest ones and see. I used Life Storage, and each year the price kept going up (I believe the insurance fee in particular was what kept climbing). I had a non-climate controlled 10X10, started out at about $80 then climbed to $100. I opted out about two years ago.

Today, I searched, and that same type of unit is now almost $160.

can vary if it's climate controlled as well. we had to store a household's worth of furniture for 6 months at one point and opted for climate control b/c of the insane heat in the region-we did'nt want any of our nicer furniture to warp. where we live now i would opt for it for winter storage b/c sub zero temps could also damage furniture/destroy electronics.

I had a 7' x 10' climate-controlled unit that started at $119 in 2021. After three months, the price increased to $139, then to $209 at eight months in 2022. I assumed that the price would stay the same for the entire year, but I'm sure they reserved the right to raise the price any time they wanted. Luckily, I don't need it anymore. I would definitely ask if the price is good for an entire year when you rent the unit.

We've used storage units at various points. Prices can vary by not only size but location. Shop around for the best price and location. Also, what are you looking for in a location? How secure is it? Does it have 24 hour access. At one of the locations that we used they charged extra for access outside of traditional business hours. We ditched them and went elsewhere as we needed access in the evenings and weekends...they were not like that for the year prior.

I am going thru same thing currently and a tiny closet size was quoted at $150 because I specifically wanted first floor close to office for safety . Occasionally that elevator breaks down so must have first floor. I also chose this location because it is next to a McDs and so convenient to use the facilities and ice water ., etc.
Might not think that is a requirement but it is tops in my location searches no matter what city I have been in .
Overall I feel like I have spent enough I should have just invested in a Storage Unit and gave my stuff to Goodwill.
Also, I just used 1-800Got junk to assist and they were expensive too.
But excellent for my needs. So no complaints .

I think Some locations require you to use their Insurance and also believe the rates increase yearly.
I am asking myself if anything I own is worth 4 years of storage fees !

We use one. All of our holiday decorations and memorabilia are in one.
10x10, climate controlled .....just raised again in $180

Keep as much as you can off the ground and wrapped in plastic. I would share storage units with college friends over summers and one of my less-intelligent roommates stored popcorn and a few other food items. My (now) wife's bra cups were individual nesting beds for rodent pups.

can vary if it's climate controlled as well. we had to store a household's worth of furniture for 6 months at one point and opted for climate control b/c of the insane heat in the region-we did'nt want any of our nicer furniture to warp. where we live now i would opt for it for winter storage b/c sub zero temps could also damage furniture/destroy electronics.

Exactly this.

We have hot temperatures and high humidity and our needs were from August to November.

Well worth the extra we paid to get climate controlled to keep our stuff from getting ruined.

Look everywhere, there seems to be a giant range and the facilities themselves are unpredictable so reviews are very important, the things I read can be horrendous. I'd say join Nextdoor where she is and maybe you can get good suggestions since lots of people store stuff, you might even find someone willing to rent you space or something much cheaper.

We are looking into it and the cost to move between states and store is absurd even considering high replacement costs. I think it might be cheaper to only take what I really want and donate the rest, truly our garage is looking better and better. Sigh, comparing the options is somewhere between jamming my pinky toe and catching my finger in a drawer.

If this is something you need over the summer near a big college campus, shop early. I know the ones near my daughter's college campus book up early. If her school has a parents' Facebook group, ask for experiences and recommendations there.

I have used one before, but it has been several years. It was pretty small, I do not know the measurements. I believe it was about $25 a month. There was no climate control or anything like that.

We may have to store my daughter's apartment furnishings (1 bedroom apt) and I'm wondering how much I can "look forward" to paying per month. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the cost of storing furniture can vary greatly depending on the size and type of furniture, as well as the location of the storage facility. However, you can expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $200 per month for furniture storage, depending on these factors.

Last edited:
Once it got up to $2000 a yr we figured it was cheaper just to buy new Xmas decorations each year. I will say outside units are a little more convenient but inside units are a lot cheaper and stay much cleaner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter