Ever see anything totally shocking and unexpected on a cruise?

On my first Disney cruise Christmas 2016 we were docked at San Juan and a Royal Caribbean ship was pulling in to dock next to us. I was hanging out on the balcony watching and saw two interesting things. One guy was wearing just his underwear standing out on his balcony, didn't seem bothered that an entire ship full of people could see him. Then after the boat docked the room directly across from mine had a guy completely naked walk out onto the balcony. I think he might have been napping and didn't realize they'd docked because he screamed and ran back inside.

On my first Disney cruise Christmas 2016 we were docked at San Juan and a Royal Caribbean ship was pulling in to dock next to us. I was hanging out on the balcony watching and saw two interesting things. One guy was wearing just his underwear standing out on his balcony, didn't seem bothered that an entire ship full of people could see him. Then after the boat docked the room directly across from mine had a guy completely naked walk out onto the balcony. I think he might have been napping and didn't realize they'd docked because he screamed and ran back inside.

OMG -- I love that he screamed :rotfl:

Not sure if this story has been told here but on our last cruise on the Fantasy the first two sea days and at least one or two evenings after there was this little girl near the mickey pool and she was little. I would say 2 or 2 1/2 at the oldest. She had come up to me more than once verbalizing, not in English, and gesturing wanting food or drinks at the stations near the pool.
I never saw an adult with her or near her and I had looked for several minutes one day especially when she wanted my food not knowing if she was allowed to have it. It turns out her parents, who a CM informed us were "European" would drop her off at the kids pool then go spend time in the adult section, spa, where ever and leave her there all day. It took one of the life guards working the pool for a few days in a row to notice something was not right. I remember seeing a CM in uniform come speak with the life guard and them pointing to the child, speaking to her, and him on his phone making calls. He also spoke with several people, including us, around the pool asking if we had seen anyone associated with the little girl.
After that day we did not see her again at the pool that we noticed. I would assume her parents started using the nursery or kids club after they were informed leaving the child at the pool was not acceptable.
Totally off topic but this reminded me of when we vacationed in Europe 17 years ago when I was pregnant with our first DD. We were eating dinner in Amsterdam, I think, and how the parents were inside or inside the fenced/gated area eating outside and the babies and toddlers were left in the strollers outside of the fence alone. It was weird seeing the 3 or 4 strollers lined up with the children still in them with no parents and I saw this a few times at different places during our stay. That certainly wouldn't fly here in America but was an interesting experience to witness.

Totally off topic but this reminded me of when we vacationed in Europe 17 years ago when I was pregnant with our first DD. We were eating dinner in Amsterdam, I think, and how the parents were inside or inside the fenced/gated area eating outside and the babies and toddlers were left in the strollers outside of the fence alone. It was weird seeing the 3 or 4 strollers lined up with the children still in them with no parents and I saw this a few times at different places during our stay. That certainly wouldn't fly here in America but was an interesting experience to witness.

There was a case in NYC in the late 90's that gained quite a bit of attention. A mom from a European country (can't remember which one) left her child in a stroller outside a restaurant while she went inside. She was arrested for child endangerment. I believe the charges were eventually dropped, but it definitely highlighted the cultural differences.

On a recent dcl cruise we headed up to the adult section and there was a group of guys passing around a joint and smoking in the wide open space. I was surprised to see how brave and nonchalant they were. It was on Jamaica day

There was a case in NYC in the late 90's that gained quite a bit of attention. A mom from a European country (can't remember which one) left her child in a stroller outside a restaurant while she went inside. She was arrested for child endangerment. I believe the charges were eventually dropped, but it definitely highlighted the cultural differences.

I have a picture that my mom took when I was about 4 months old. A line of strollers, including mine, outside of the apartment building where all the young lieutenants lived. It was just a couple of year ago, well maybe more than a couple!

Can I just say, I am British, 2 kids (not sure if you'd call me European) and this is abhorrent and certainly not something I would ever expect to see in the UK and never have. Also having been to the Netherlands, France, Belgium and Spain quite a bit I have never seen this. I wonder which country, if indeed has this culture towards children as I am quite shocked!

I highly doubt it was Amsterdam as it's not common practice here, but I know it is in Denmark, even with the cold cold winters they get there.
It could of been Denmark, or Belgium, or any number of other countries surrounding Germany so Denmark could be the winner. Now that I think about it Amsterdam was Anne Frank house, lots of bicycles, and the red light district :rolleyes1 so it must of been somewhere else.

I live in Europe and no it is not exceptable over here or the norm, to leave a toddler alone at a pool. Just wanted to set that straight. what if that kid fell in??We dont even let kids at that age bathe alone!

Well this addresses the thread by both shocking and unexpected, two fold actually. Because I’m also wondering how you were “camera ready” at that moment?
Well I wasn't camera ready, I went back in the room and got my phone. Keep in mind it was 5 in the morning, it woke we right on up.

We were out on our verandah last June in Alaska during our glacier day when a hummingbird flew by...what?? He/she stopped to make sure we weren't flowers, then took off. There was noting blooming for miles. We guessed that the bird lived on the Wonder and subsisted on leftover "drinks of the day." Hey, take your vacation any way you can!!

Also, on our Alaska cruise, we had our 8-year-old granddaughter with us (too young to zip-line with the rest of her family) on a DCL science excursion in Juneau that involved busing to Mendenhall Glacier, then riding a small boat out a couple of miles to a crab trap and seeing whales. We had both something unexpected and something pixie dust tinged. Just as our boat was leaving the dock a bald eagle swooped down (think National Geographic) in front of us, touched the water and came up with a large fish. Just as he/she landed on a dock post, a friend/relative decided to come over to share lunch. Just as the second eagle landed, the first dropped her catch. Yikes! Both of them looked down at the water at what could have been. I couldn't get my camera fast enough to shoot any of this...it all happened in seconds and we were just starting out. In any case, I am sure an eagle discussion ensued over who has the sharpest claws and who was the hungriest...not pretty.
The second dust thing happened on our 10-passenger boat. GD, Leah, from a prior bad experience on a party boat, was very afraid of high speed and noise. As we accelerated she started crying and curling up in a ball by grandma. This was going to be a long ride and take maybe two or three hours...not good! The young woman who was our guide immediately knew what to do. She brought out a picture book of seals, whales and other marine life that we might see, sat down next to her and got her to settle down all the way to the trap. After inspecting said trap, we had to move again, so the anxiety mounted. This time the captain decided to help, so he asked Leah to sit in his lap and help steer the boat. He explained the instruments and let her hold the wheel. She was quiet and very interested. The captain also asked Leah what she wanted to see and she said she loved seals and whales. He said he would do his best to find some. To make a long story short, he found both and let Leah sit in his seat to steer us home. That team made our excursion. We later contacted them for the name of the book they showed her and got one for her for Christmas. You can tell we loved our 49th state cruise.

Well I wasn't camera ready, I went back in the room and got my phone. Keep in mind it was 5 in the morning, it woke we right on up.

I must be missing something -- I don't see any pictures unless they were removed :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter