Ever Been To A Theme Park On A Cold Day? What Was It Like?

We were there in December 2010 around the 12th-17th and it was setting records for cold. It was upper 20s and low 30s and windy. We had to buy extra warm clothes, hats, scarves, and a blanket for my DD stroller. It was not great, but not crowded..........

A few years ago when we went in mid-November, the forecast showed some nights with lows in the 40s, so we brought sweatshirts, jeans and jackets for everybody. We were driving, and I assumed we wouldn't need them. If we were flying, we probably would have left the warm clothes at home.

Boy did we need them!! In an 8-day trip, we had four days that were pretty cold, with one of those where the high was only 44. We were at Animal Kingdom for the high-44 day, and it was EMPTY. We hit Everest around 10 am and still had it all to ourselves - I remember people walking out as we got there, and they looked like they came out of a freezer. Kali was operating, and we watched a few rafts that just had two pre-teen boys each; we did not ride it. Maharajah was open, but there were almost no animals outside. We also had a day at MK where the high was around 60, but the morning was mid-40s and rainy, and it was a party night. So MK pretty much stayed empty from 9-7, and we stayed the whole time. I remember Dumbo was only operating one side at 5 pm, and it was still running half-full.

Ultimately, we enjoyed all of the cooler days, mostly because it reduced the crowds, but we had to change our plans somewhat and rely on our heavier clothes. We were reminded that being outside for many hours at a time, with lots of water around, and sometimes going on fast outdoor rides, makes your body gradually feel colder and colder.

Incidentally, the other days on the trip were fairly warm, with two days in the mid-80s.
Another drawback to cold days at Disney. At AK they'll take many of the animals inside.

You're not gonna get severe cold in December probably. I'm from Louisiana and we pretty much have the same seasons. Our bitter cold ( if we even have that) comes in Jan/Feb... We were there in mid February one year ( 2007 I think) and we were miserable one day at EPCOT! It got into the teen that night and probably didn't hit 35 degrees all day , over cast and the wind would cut you in half. I specifically remember standing under Spaceship Earth in a line and was ducking under my husband to try and keep the wind from hitting my face ( had on thermals, hoodie, jacket, gloves and scarf) I'll have to see if I can find a picture! Good thing is, it was only that one day, and the rest of the trip was sunny and cold but just a hoodie and jeans all day were comfortable... I actually love that type of weather ( minus that EPCOT day) so nice to walk around all day without breaking a sweat!!

January of 2016. It was FREEZING. The mornings were in the low 30s, and, if we were lucky, then highs got up to about the low 40s during the day. It was windy, and cloudy. Windchills were in the 20s. Blankets and gloves were in demand and in short supply throughout the parks. My face felt like it was going to freeze off when we went on coasters. And the dessert parties (Illuminations and Star Wars) were set up outside with heaters everywhere. In all the pics I look like I am 20 lbs heavier because I am wearing like 4 layers, including my husband's oversized fleece.

But...we had a GREAT trip anyway. :)
IMG_7254.JPG IMG_7258.JPG IMG_7260.JPG IMG_7261.JPG IMG_7263.JPG

Last edited:

went in January a few years back and it was extremely cold. It was 28 degrees the morning we were at Animal Kingdom. They had heaters out keeping the trees warm. Rode Everest that morning and it was painfully cold.
January of 2016?? Brrrrrrr!!!

It depends what you consider cold.

I went in end of January and it was "cold" a few days ... and by cold I mean you had to wear jeans and light jacket (like a Columbia Fleece). So it was comfortable. I've never been there when it has been near freezing or snowing, but my guess it would be like going on a rainy day. There are just some attractions you have to skip.

Besides not being able to go on Splash Mountain, it is much more preferable (to me) than a dreadfully hot/humid day where it may thunderstorm at any time.

40 degrees is like 4.5. So, cold, but, it it's not also wet, it's fine. With layers.

I'd still have fun. I would be happier on my holiday if it were t shirt weather. But, as long as I am not uncomfortably cold, a few layers and good to go. being british, I pack for such eventualities.

Last time we went in early/mid December, I just wore jeans with a short sleeve tee shirt, sneakers, and a sweatshirt. I always had a beanie and a heavier jacket just in case, and it ended up being plenty!

I was there in November once when the temps went from mid 70's and sunshine on Tuesday to low 40's and wind for the rest of the week. The ride across the 7 Seas Lagoon was a real wake up. After a Day and a half of putting up with my thin jacket, I had to resort to a visit to Main Street for a WDW Hoodie. I was there once on New Years day where it was 40's and drizzley, made for a light crowd in the MK, and I actually wore the winter coat I left Michigan in. And DL also gets darn cold at Night in Febuary, I remember once sitting watching Fantasmic! in Hat and Gloves.

Oh, Florida doesn't get cold. Check out this form Tokyo Disneyland:

Snow04.jpg

Looks like Elsa paid a visit! I think it would be spectacular to go at that time of year.

Seriously, when I was there in March, the first day was actually reasonably chilly. I'd have been fine if I hadn't checked my only sweatshirt with bell services. Honestly, I'd rather it be a little cool than incredibly hot, which it usually is.

I'll be there first week of December and, maybe, for the first time in my life, might experience a "cold" day at a WDW theme park. Now, my definition of "cold" is probably different from yours (I don't generally break out my jacket until it gets below about 30), but, using whatever definition of "cold" you prefer, what's it like being at a theme park on a cold day? Was it brutal? Or were you still able to have a good time?
Disney does get very cold. We have been there in January when there are frost warnings and the gardeners are pulling up the plants that froze overnight. You need to bring long pants, a warm coat and gloves if the forecast is going to be in the fifties or below. Disney doesn't heat their buildings the way we do up north. And you are outside for hours. Think how cold you get watching a game at Wrigley Field in April, when Lake Michigan is still cold. ;)

But, we haven't experienced that kind of coldi WDW in the first week of December. We have been to Disney twice the week week of December and both times it was maybe in the 60's during the day, sometimes warmer. Just keep an eye on the weather forecasts and then plan for it to be five degrees colder than what they predict. ;)

Have been there in December 2010 where the highs were in the 40's - with jeans and a sweatshirt it was doable. The best part of it was NO LINES. NONE- this was just a few months after Harry Potter opened and we jumped over to Universal one day- were able to do BOTH universal parks in 1 single day and be finished with both by 6:00 pm. Harry Potter had NO line- went on it twice with no wait. All the Disney parks also had no waits. Needed only 1 fast pass and that was for TSMM.

February 2014 it was nice during the day, comfortable t-shirt and shorts weather, but once the sun set it was FREEZING! Not very nice to walk around the parks in to tell you the truth. But it was fairly quiet at least.

This question is relative based on what someone from a colder climate calls cold and what someone from Florida calls cold.Being a Floridian who enjoys visiting the parks in cool to semi cold weather because when we get this type of weather the majority of the days are sunny and beautiful and you're able to wear jeans and sweaters which keep you comfortable.I consider a day with a high in the mid to upper 60s to around 72 with a low of 50-55 a cool day,if the low is 45-49 then that day falls into the cold category.A day with lows in the mid to upper 40s will likely have highs in the 60-72 range and since most days with similar temps are bright and sunny it will be very nice during the day but once the sun goes down you will start to feel it a bit more,especially if its wndy but generally as long as you have enough on you'll be okay.

Any day with lows under 45 and highs that hover at 60 or less is a downright cold day at Disney,again as long as its sunny during the day its usually comfortable unless the wind comes into play,at night it depends on your own level of tolerance.I've been to the parks on what is considered extreme for Florida,highs of 48-50 degrees and lows in the upper 20s and once the sun went down it gets ugly cold,even people from colder climates do a disappearing act in those temps,at least once the sun goes down.

I don't enjoy the parks as much when it's cold. I'm from the North, so when I come to Florida, I want warmth.
I remember freezing on Christmas day a few years back. I was dressed warm, but I wished I had my gloves, and of course, it was Christmas Day, so crowds were going to be heavy, no matter what the weather.

Nov 2014 was brrr, but so wonderful. The Christmas decorations were going up and it felt like Winter. This was when 7DMT caught on fire.

I absolutely love Disney in cold weather. Being able to wear a jacket and feeling comfortable is so much better than dying from the heat

I agree!

The most "brutal" thing for me is early in the morning waiting for rope drop. The sun is low and the breeze is usually blowing. I also recall one mid December evening waiting for Illuminations on the bridge between UK and France that was particularly chilly. I was glad I had my wind block polartec hoodie and a light weight pair of gloves.

If you are a northerner then you'll have no problem.

We were there in December 2010 around the 12th-17th and it was setting records for cold. It was upper 20s and low 30s and windy. We had to buy extra warm clothes, hats, scarves, and a blanket for my DD stroller. It was not great, but not crowded..........
We were there too! Ugh, it was bone-chillingly cold. We did MVMCP the night of the 14th. There was just no way to get warm, sitting there waiting for the parade. Being from the north, I'm used to the cold, but at home we're not out in the cold for 14 hours a day! My kids were literally wearing 2 pairs of pants, 2 shirts, hoodies, winter coats, 2 pairs of gloves, and winter hats. They may have tripled up on socks; I don't remember. We hit the free hot chocolate HARD that night.

P1120876small.jpg P1130341small.jpg

Attachments

• P1120876small.jpg
    P1120876small.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1
  • P1130341small.jpg
    P1130341small.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1
we went in december and it is the only time i would consider going! (i can't give temps because we are metric people and i am too lazy to convert it) BUT i would wear capris, tshirts all day long and as the sun started to set i had a light sweater for late afternoon/evening.

i love florida in december but i dislike the heat and despise the humidity. i would take a sweater over sweat-sheen any day!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter