• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Evening Magic Hours for Deluxe Guests Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
at their hotel. we pay the same to get into the parks. the added benefits should be at the hotels.

But the primary reason people go to Disney is to go to the parks. It’s pretty logical to extend benefits to the parks as well.

Of course, Disney is hardly the only theme park that does this. Universal provides unlimited express pass to people staying at their most expensive hotels. Can you imagine the outrage if Disney offered unlimited FP to deluxe resort guests?

Off site guests pay the same to get into the parks too. So off-site guests should get all the same perks then, by your logic.

Then there would be no "magic hours" or whatever their called now. If that means we're all on the same playing field, then fine by me. I'm not paying deluxe rates and wont be staying at a deluxe hotel, so i'm already shut out, so it doesnt harm me.

I've decided to vote with my wallet, we got back from our last trip and decided that our annual disney trips are over, we've booked somewhere else for next year. We might be back in 2023, and i hope others follow, something has to give.

If the "perks" that are being offered to value and moderates right now continue, then i'll never stay on disney property ever again.

Last edited:

And that’s totally up to you. Vote with your wallet.
If enough people agree with you and stop staying in on-site values and mods, then Disney will have to either lower prices and/or add perks.

If they manage to keep filling up with fewer perks, then they clearly don’t need them.

That’s my point. Wasn’t just the good neighbors, though they exacerbated the issue, bumping up qualified guests by 30% compared to true onsite. And the values are huge.

I know people are upset about being priced out if anything, but paying $700 per night should get you more benefits than paying $200 per night.
I am probably the oddball here, but we are typically cruisers and I love the low base rate with no frills and add more benefits as you go up. It allows me to pick benefits that are actually worth it to me and spend my money there vs. paying a higher base price for a larger number of watered down benefits.
In cruising for example, I could care less about the rooms. So when we were young and poor, my husband and I could cruise more often by picking the cheapest room and still enjoy the ship’s amenities. One year, our total vacation cost was under 1,000 for a week bc we got a bunk bed room practically in crew quarters. We had wonderful dining, amenities, and beautiful beaches. On our first cruise with all three kids, we all shared one tiny cruise room to take advantage of kids sail free. There was literally one strip of walking space when all the beds were out. But we chose amazing excursions and upgraded to specialty dining, which are way more important to us. Others could care less about snorkeling but want a beautiful cabin and lots of space. So that is where they spend their money.
The only thing I don’t like is a diluted overall experience to benefit those who pay more. For example, I would be extremely frustrated if a paid FP system similar to other parks comes into play. I remember years ago being at US and watching hordes of those with express pass stream past me bc they could afford double the ticket cost to do so. It left a really sour taste in my mouth and diluted my experience bc of longer wait times all around for those who couldn’t pony up. Offering events like this or other perks like priority seating at fireworks or CL amenities wouldn’t take away from my Disney experience, so those are great IMO.

The only thing I don’t like is a diluted overall experience to benefit those who pay more. For example, I would be extremely frustrated if a paid FP system similar to other parks comes into play. I remember years ago being at US and watching hordes of those with express pass stream past me bc they could afford double the ticket cost to do so. It left a really sour taste in my mouth and diluted my experience bc of longer wait times all around for those who couldn’t pony up. Offering events like this or other perks like priority seating at fireworks or CL amenities wouldn’t take away from my Disney experience, so those are great IMO.
I think this is a really good point. At a local theme park we bought season passes a few years ago. I remember a situation on one particular ride that didn’t have a really long line but it was a slow loader and couldn’t hold many people at once. A big group that had their ‘paid fastpass’ (I can’t remember what they called it) came running up right before we were going to make it on. So we waited another round. They jumped off and ran right back into their special line again and we had to wait again. This happened three or four times. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. It wasn’t the only thing I didn’t like about the park but it did influence our decision not to get season passes again. And since that year, we’ve never been back. There were times I would stand in their slow lines thinking ‘I wish I was at Disney’. 🤣

I think this is a really good point. At a local theme park we bought season passes a few years ago. I remember a situation on one particular ride that didn’t have a really long line but it was a slow loader and couldn’t hold many people at once. A big group that had their ‘paid fastpass’ (I can’t remember what they called it) came running up right before we were going to make it on. So we waited another round. They jumped off and ran right back into their special line again and we had to wait again. This happened three or four times. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. It wasn’t the only thing I didn’t like about the park but it did influence our decision not to get season passes again. And since that year, we’ve never been back. There were times I would stand in their slow lines thinking ‘I wish I was at Disney’. 🤣
those are the things that made disney different. We used to live in South Charlotte, we could literally see the rollercoasters from Carowinds (local theme park) from our backyard. In the 10 years we lived in that house, we had season passes twice. We didnt go often because of things like this. We also had annual passes to disney one of those years, and would drive the 8 hours because disney was a trend setter. Things are different now.

at their hotel. we pay the same to get into the parks. the added benefits should be at the hotels.

I am John Q. Customer here - I didn't book a hotel and then go buy park tickets. I booked a magical Disney vacation resort package that includes the hotel and the tickets.
So, perks for the Customer family - no perks for the family that paid not-the-same for their package at an All Stars, yes? Makes sense.

I am John Q. Customer here - I didn't book a hotel and then go buy park tickets. I booked a magical Disney vacation resort package that includes the hotel and the tickets.
So, perks for the Customer family - no perks for the family that paid not-the-same for their package at an All Stars, yes? Makes sense.
when you booked your package, you choose the amount of tickets and what kind of tickets and it shows you the price. those tickets prices are exactly the same if you stay at poly vs all star.

you can split hairs all you want to, but at the end of the day, we paid the same amount to enter the parks. the differences is the packages are based on food offerings and where you stay.

To those that are staying at Deluxe resorts and are ok with this, do you really expect those that are staying at value and moderates to not be upset about this? You’re paying a inflated rate to stay on property, but so are those at value and moderate resorts. They arent paying $100 a night at a value. We aren’t paying as much as you, but your hotel rooms and your resorts are much nicer.

I am probably the oddball here, but we are typically cruisers and I love the low base rate with no frills and add more benefits as you go up. It allows me to pick benefits that are actually worth it to me and spend my money there vs. paying a higher base price for a larger number of watered down benefits.

Same with flying.

Don't care where I sit, don't have luggage, don't have carryon, don't want to board early, don't want food, don't want drinks etc. Just get me to WDW as cheap as necessary.

To those that are staying at Deluxe resorts and are ok with this, do you really expect those that are staying at value and moderates to not be upset about this? You’re paying a inflated rate to stay on property, but so are those at value and moderate resorts. They arent paying $100 a night at a value. We aren’t paying as much as you, but your hotel rooms and your resorts are much nicer.

No. I'm not expecting anyone to be happy about it.

But, when we decided to go to Universal I read up about it. Then I chose a resort that cost more specifically for the express passes. So the cost of those express passes is included in my inflated rate for the vacation package. I see staying at a Deluxe the same way. I'm paying an inflated rate for a perk.

Now I did book the deluxe before the whole extra evening hours was announced, I did it for location and the hotel itself - looking forward to the Christmas decorations. However, if the extra hours were available before I had booked, it would have been a factor in my decision to choose a deluxe over a moderate (the FW Cabins is another favorite place for us).

But, I think like a previous poster. That applying the logic that we all paid the same price for the park tickets, so all perks should be the same - would mean including offsite too. So, then it is no perk at that point. It is just extending the park hours.

But, I think like a previous poster. That applying the logic that we all paid the same price for the park tickets, so all perks should be the same - would mean including offsite too. So, then it is no perk at that point. It is just extending the park hours.
Again, I'm no longer getting that perk at the value or moderate, so there is no perk to me at all. So now it wouldnt bother me if they extended to those offsite now.

My plan is to look at the choices available, and purchase accordingly. Same as at US/IOA, flying, Target field and every purchase we make.

We will be offsite at the house a lot, so those days will be less productive, and we will also stay Mod/Value on occasion, so not always in the same boat.

People absolutely have a perfect right to be upset, about this and many things if they choose to be..

Again, I'm no longer getting that perk at the value or moderate, so there is no perk to me at all. So now it wouldnt bother me if they extended to those offsite now.

I'm in total agreement with that. If they actually went back to later park hours - it seems like it would benefit everyone. People could spread out their time, take breaks, etc.

That said, I'm not the one making these decisions - Disney is. And, as I'm willing to book the deluxe, my family currently benefits from this perk.

For the record, if we were booked in a moderate and they had announced this, I can say with certainty that I would not have been upset - I would have either changed our booking, or known we wouldn't benefit. Just as some people get pixie dust bumps to a higher room, or moved from a value to a moderate due to overbooking, or some kind of magical surprise. I get that some people are goign to get something I'm not. I go in choosing what I can afford and live with.

Yes
since you specifically asked those who are staying deluxe-Yes, I am fine with it. I get free parking also because I am staying on my points.
I am planning on staying at POFQ again next year-just for “old times sake” and because I love the resort. I will have to pay for parking AND I won’t get the extra hours. But, I will be at a lovely resort with my husband for a couple of days.

Disney is not the first resort to offer more to guests who pay for more money.

I would like the EMH for all resort hotel guests to come back (not good Neighbor hotels).

I am sure things will change. Maybe try a split stay or rent DVC points. That is what we did before purchasing DVC.
no matter what, you are still at Disney. Enjoy your trip!

Disney shares in the revenue from the Swan & Dolphin. The resorts are considered part of the Walt Disney Collection and thus are Disney branded (i.e. its in the name of the hotel). I get the frustration- but makes sense to me. $$$
The interesting thing to me is the connection to Marriott. These properties are huge point redemption hotels. Combine that with the steep discount on the friends and family rate, (that I saw many people check in with when I worked there) a lot of guests staying there aren’t paying Deluxe prices. Will be a sweet spot if the evening hours turn out to be extra magical.

Yes

since you specifically asked those who are staying deluxe-Yes, I am fine with it. I get free parking also because I am staying on my points.
I am planning on staying at POFQ again next year-just for “old timeshare” and because I love the resort. I will have to pay for parking AND I won’t get the extra hours. But, I will be at a lovely resort with my husband for a couple of days.

Disney is not the first resort to offer more to guests who pay for more money.

I would like the EMH for all resort hotel guests to come back (not good Neighbor hotels).

I am sure things will change. Maybe try a split stay or rent DVC points. That is what we did before purchasing DVC.
no matter what, you are still at Disney. Enjoy your trip!
sadly i dont think it'll have the effect i wish it would have, but the move away from an "all inclusive" (sort of) vacation that it once was, has opened our eyes to other vacation destinations around the country.

I hope others see that, and start to book elsewhere.

As someone who owns DVC and tends to only stay DVC, I'm glad that I'm on the receiving end. However TBH, I'm not happy with this decision but not because we all pay the same for admission to the parks (we don't, there are huge discounts for conventionEARS and other select groups). I don't like to see any perk taken away from anyone. So, no I am not dancing with glee over the decision. I understand the logic behind it but that doesn't mean I agree with the move.

The interesting thing to me is the connection to Marriott. These properties are huge point redemption hotels. Combine that with the steep discount on the friends and family rate, (that I saw many people check in with when I worked there) a lot of guests staying there aren’t paying Deluxe prices. Will be a sweet spot if the evening hours turn out to be extra magical.

Yes, I agree. I am a titanium marriott member and the point redemption is kinda high some times during the year. I have booked it at 40k points- but if over that I just save the points and pay cash since I still have to pay the resort fee etc. even when staying on points. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a contractual obligation to provide some perks due to being part of the WDW Collection. Not sure though.

The change to Mears transport was a huge bummer though. But with walking capability to two parks it doesn't take away too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter