Even with Blisters and Bad Hair, Disney is Still Magical! A Sept. 2014 TR -Updated 5/13

Clarf

Haunted Mansion or Bust.
Hi! I'm Clare and this is my first Trip Report, but my 5th trip to The World. This was our families second time visiting in September with FREE DINING! We had a wonderful trip and I can't wait to share it with you.

First, let me introduce the players.

This is me, Clare, 39 going on 12. Please excuse my hair. As you'll see from the title, the humidity was not kind to my hair this trip. I got this funky new hairdo shortly before we left that I loved, but it didn't fare well in Florida's heat and humidity. I work for a professional theater company in the Box Office, so my job is always exciting, but Disney is a nice escape from it once in a while.

But I digress. This was my first trip to WDW, my first being in 2001 when I was 26. I went with my then-boyfriend (now husband) and was hooked immediately. I'll never forget that first time walking down Mainstreet USA and not being able to wipe the smile off my face for hours. That was when Atlantic Dance at Disney's Boardwalk had swing dancing every night, so DH and I went to the parks by day and swing dancing by night. I'd share a pic, but that was before digital cameras were big, and frankly, I don't feel like scanning it right now.

But I digress again. I went to Disneyland at age 7 and loved it, but could never convince my parents to take a trip to WDW. They were so lame. They though we should go on trips to places like South Dakota and Washington DC to learn stuff. Who wants to learn stuff on vacation? And, there is plenty to learn at WDW anyway. My parents were party poopers, but I promised myself my kids would go to WDW. Lots.

My favorite ride of all time anywhere is Haunted Mansion, and we made our children go on it 3 times this trip, even though they were hesitant the first time. Stay tuned for how that turned out!

This is DH, Jason, 35 also going on 12. Yes, I'm a cradle robber and proud of it. He couldn't even legally drink when we started dating, but if it weren't for him, I'd probably never have gotten to WDW in the first place. He spent his summers in Florida with his grandparents as a kid, so he spent a ton of time at Disney. He pretends not to love it as much as I do, but he does. He works in computers, so he gets excited about all the technical stuff at Disney like the Magic Bands and MDE app. and such. He was very excited to use the Magic Bands this trip and still has his sitting on his nightstand, so I'm not sure what he has in store for it.

He loves food and when I told him I'd be taking pictures of our food for this report he responded with "I'll be eating my food, thank you." So, if the food pics are bad, it's his fault. I had to snap before he dug in.

His favorite ride is Space Mountain. At least it was when I asked him 10 seconds ago. I don't think he really knows. He loves rollercoasters and rides that make me sick.

This is Lucy. Our oldest DD. She turned 8 while we were in Florida. Her first trip to Magic Kingdom was when she was 18 months old. She was in awe and her favorite ride that day was the flat escalator that gets you up to the People Mover. She's become a lot more daring since then, and loves all the rides. The bigger, the better. This was her 4th visit to WDW. She also went to the Magic Kingdom for a day at age 4 1/2 and then 2 years ago when she celebrated her 6th birthday at The Happiest Place on Earth. She's all Disney and talks about it daily. She loves pirates, especially Captain Jack Sparrow. She does still enjoy the princesses, but has become more of a tomboy in the past few years, which is just fine with me.

Lucy is cautious and a rule follower, so I'm surprised she loves the big rides as much as she does, since they are generally scary. At 8, she still believes the characters are real. What? I know they are real. Some kids at that age don't believe it though.

Her favorite ride is Space Mountain, and she got to ride it 7 times this trip! :scared1:

This is Maura, the baby of the family. She turned 5 in July, but looks more like a 3 year old. She is so tiny and petite, but totally makes up for it in personality. She has watched FROZEN no less than 200 times and can sing it in her sleep. She has a vibratto that puts Idina Menzel to shame. :laughing:

Maura keeps us on her toes with her antics and general non-rule following. She is the complete opposite of her sister and flies by the seat of her pants doing whatever she wants whenever she wants. I think we told her at least 737 times not to climb on the bars while waiting in line, not to lay on the gross ground, and to pay attention and eat.

She loves the characters and can't be bothered to look away from them for 1 second to get a nice picture taken with them. It was her second trip to WDW and she loved it.

Her favorite ride is Dumbo, though she keeps talking about Splash Mountain.

Anyway, our trip was September 12-17 and included a night at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I hope you'll join me as I re-live this trip.

Here is a picture of all of us our first day at the Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
Intro
Who Are These People?

Day 1 September 11, 2014

Road Trips are Fun
Tall Buildings and Wind Turbines
More Cities and A Lot of Sugar!

Day 2 September 12, 2014

Are We There Yet?
The Sunshine State and Lots of Tackiness
M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E
Finally! We Arrived!
Mr. Happy, Checkers, and Buried Treasure
Roaring with Dinosaurs.
Going Back In Time
Old Friends, and The Mess That is Downtown Disney

Day 3 September 13, 2014
Breakfast With Some Famous Chefs
All Our Friends are Here!

Aaaargh! A Pirate's Life for Me!
The Monorail is Stinky, But I Can See the Castle!
Rose Warloather and The Mermaid

Fun in Adventureland!
How Many Rides Can We Go On Before 1pm?

The Mermaid and the Bearded Lady do BOG...and other adventures
The West Wing is Amazing
Mermaids and Magic Mirrors

Swimming, stuck rides, and *GASP* a talking Mickey!
Goodbye to the Man-Child, but Hello Again Magic Kingdom!

Day 4 September 14, 2014
Fun with the Animals!
Blue Butts, Yetis, and a Morning Safari
The Greatest Meet and Greet There Ever Was
Barbeque and Dinosaurs

Dinner with "Family"
I Wish I was a Step-Sister

The Mother of all Halloween Parties
Dancing in Front of an Empty Castle
Villians are My Favorite
Boo, To You, and You and You and You and You and You, Happy Halloween.
Haunted Magic

Ridapalooza
Tangent in Chicago and Spookiness

Characters, Rides, and Jail?

Day 5 September 15, 2014
Hollywood Studios and Characterpalooza (pt.1)
Some Firsts and Some Oldies
I Can't Believe we Met all These Characters!

Characterpalooza (pt.2) and some rides!
And Now We Met Even More!
And We Ride, Too!

An Epcot Evening
Spinning in the Garden
More Spinning, Sustaining, and Driving
Our Futures have a pool in Them

Day 6: September 16th, 2014

Epcot Overload!
Watch Out for Sea Creatures
Soarin' with Beverly for the First Time
Photopass and Perry the Platypus.

A Trip Around the World....With Some Other Stuff Thrown In
Test Track Fun
To China and Beyond
Did people really use these?
Dinner with the Fishes.
Farewell to Epcot

Day 7: September 17th, 2014-Day 10: September 20th, 2014

Goodbye CBR, but Hello O'hana!

We have a lot of Walking to do
Run Away Trains and New Treats

Trips to Agrabah and London
A Meet and Greet Worth Melting For
The True Ruler of England Doesn't Eat Fish or Peanut Butter
Happy Haunts, A Big Splash, and a Scottish Lass
Goodbye Disney World, But we Still Have a Birthday.
Until Next Year, Florida.

Epilogue
Our Favorites

Last edited:
:wave2: Clare; I'm so glad you are doing a TR. I love your intros and your girls are adorable. 7 times on Space Mountain? I did it once and thought it would be the death of me. I hear you on the humidity and hair...what a nightmare that was.

I can't wait to read more. :goodvibes

:wave2: Clare; I'm so glad you are doing a TR. I love your intros and your girls are adorable. 7 times on Space Mountain? I did it once and thought it would be the death of me. I hear you on the humidity and hair...what a nightmare that was.

I can't wait to read more. :goodvibes

Hi Kathy! Welcome! Glad you made it over. Yes, Lucy went on Space Mountain 7 times. Thankfully, I only had to do it twice. Jason loves it (claims it's his favorite!) so he was more than happy to go on it 5 times.

Yay! Yay! Yay! You started your report! I was so excited that I just skimmed over the intros. I'm back now and just have to say what a cute family you guys are! I can't wait to hear all about the trip.

This looks great, Clare! Can't wait to read along :thumbsup2

And TELL ME about the hair problems!!! The Orlando humidity is a constant battle! :crazy: But don't worry, you all look great, what a lovely family :)

Yay! Yay! Yay! You started your report! I was so excited that I just skimmed over the intros. I'm back now and just have to say what a cute family you guys are! I can't wait to hear all about the trip.

Thanks, Lisa! Glad you are here! Did you see the girls' dresses? :)

Guuuurl, you know I dont know the answer 'cause I still use the old school links too. :crazy2:

Hah! I couldn't figure it out, so it's old school for me too!

This looks great, Clare! Can't wait to read along :thumbsup2

And TELL ME about the hair problems!!! The Orlando humidity is a constant battle! :crazy: But don't worry, you all look great, what a lovely family :)

Welcome, Katie! And yes, the humidity was a constant battle, but I can deal. I was at Disney for Pete's sake! I'll try to find a pic of what my hair SHOULD look like though. :)

So, you found out who we are and where we're going. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort in a Pirate Room. This was our 3rd visit to CBR, and we just love it. It's huge, but we figure, we're at Disney, what's 10 more minutes of walking? (My blisters would disagree with that sentiment).
I'll get to more on the resort later. Since I work for a non-profit company and make barely enough to buy groceries with, we always drive to Florida because the cost of gas and a couple of nights in a hotel is much cheaper than 4 plane tickets, plus baggage, so we've gotten used to the drive.
Also, flying is not my favorite. If I took a Xanax and got on the plane, I'd be fine, but the anticipation of it and I do not get along well. One day we'll fly, but this was not that time.

This year though, was different. We had a fancy new car for the trip! Well, really my dad and step-mom were kind enough to let us use their 2013 Dodge Caravan for the drive instead of my rusty old 2001 Chevy Prism or Jason's nice-but-small Scion. This also meant we didn't have to put the Big Mac on the top of the car to hold our luggage! We were psyched! So, Wednesday night, September 10th, we drove to my dad's to pick up our chariot. After what seemed like 3 hours worth of instructions to learn how every little button and switch worked in the car, and he had shown us how he had gotten a new seat cover for the kids' seat (he's a little anal retentive), we had our new chariot. We drove it home, packed it up, and hit the sack ready to leave at 7am the next day! Well, we tried to hit the sack. You all know it's almost impossible to sleep the night before you leave for Disney.

I forgot to mention, accompanying us on this trip is Bucky Badger, the University of Wisconsin mascot, but also Lucy's class "pet." He was to come with us on our adventures and report back to the class upon his return. Bucky's been around for a few years now, and apparently has been to Disney more times than I have, so everything was familiar to him, and we learned that he likes the big rides. Here is Bucky and I finishing up my last day of work before the trip. We just wanted to go!

This is what my hair is supposed to look like. It does not fare this well the rest of the trip.

Sorry this update has been light on pictures so far, but that is about to change. Here are the girls, bright and early, in the car, and ready to go!

Bucky thought he should join them.

At 7:07am, we pulled out of our driveway and left Milwaukee! I was shocked we left on time. I used to be on time for everything,
and then I met Jason. I can get myself and 2 kids ready and out the door before he can get himself ready. I guess he was more excited then I gave him credit for. I took the first shift driving. At 7:58am, we entered Illinois. Jason wasn't cooperating and taking pictures, but when we neared Chicago, I made him take a few of the skyline. We pass through a lot of cities on our drive and I wanted to try to get a picture of each of them.

We lost about an hour in Chicago's morning rush hour. We anticipated it slowing us down, but it took longer than we thought. Once we were to the south side of the city, though, things picked up. We crossed the Skyway Toll Bridge, and by 9:46am we were in Indiana.

Not long after, we started the long trek down I-65. We
did see some goofy stuff, like this truck.

I laughed about the truck for a good 15 minutes. I told you I was going on 12 years old. Then we passed the wind farm. These things go on forever. There are 1000s of them. I know some people don't like them, but for whatever reason, I think they are so cool looking.

Shortly after that, we were through Indianapolis. It was 1:06 and we stopped for lunch at a Chick-fil-A that I had looked up. We didn't have them in Milwaukee until just last week, so we always get our fix on the trip. We took a potty break, ordered our food, and got back in the car. We wanted to keep going to make it as far as possible. We had lost about another 45 minutes in construction traffic, and the time had changed up an hour, so we didn't want to lose anymore time.

continued in next post

At 2:54pm we crossed the bridge in Kentucky and the city of Louisville. It's kind of a neat city to drive through.

Once we were through, we saw this place that sold just about every type of lawn ornament you could want. And perhaps they have spider issues in Kentucky? I don't really want to know.

We made good time through Kentucky. The kids were great and watched movies, played on our phones, read books, and played with their leap pads. At 5:38pm we crossed into Tenessee. The time changed back to Central time again, so we got our hour back.

We drove through Nashville, got on 1-24, and then started our journey
through the mountains in Tenessee.

It's so pretty, but our ears popped. We lost another 40 minutes going up the mountain due to an accident they were getting out of the way. By the time we passed it, it was gone. We did stop at a rest stop in the mountains for a pit stop. The kids had been eating ring pops, and were getting slap happy, so this is the picture we got. Maura looks like a crazed lunatic.

After the quick stop, down the mountain we went. There are these "runaway truck" areas when you're going down the mountain, it's
just a strip of dirt road that goes way up a hill I guess to stop semis that can't brake. Thankfully, we have never seen one of them get used. They freak me out.

Once down the mountain, we went through Chattanooga and then were in Georgia! There is no "Welcome to Georgia" sign picture. Jason was back in the passenger seat and is clearly a slacker at his job. I might have to fire him or trade him in for a new one. He was probably playing with his new phone instead of paying attention to me. The horror! At 8:40pm we crossed the state line. Then we went back into Eastern time zone, so we lost that hour again. Dang! We knew we'd made it this far and wanted to get through Atlanta. We did and then some.

Terrible Atlanta picture. It's like he didn't even try. We did see some giant peach sculptures, though. There is one in the picture, but it's hard to tell.

We finally stopped at a Red Roof Inn in Macon, Georgia for the night. We stopped at 11:40pm, which was 10:40pm our time. Not bad! Had we not had the delays, we would have done even better! We settled in for the night, ready to get to Disney in the morning!

Stay tuned for the rest of our drive! I have to stop here as Jason is currently playing various fart sounds on his phone to get me to come and watch something with him. I can't stop laughing.

Oh yes....lovely Chicago rush hour traffic. :headache: And the reason I do NOT drive Downtown for work every day.

You made great time getting all the way to Macon despite the traffic in Chicago and the accident that slowed you down.

We used to drive to Florida too; I have to say I don't miss it. I had a terrible fear of flying but I've gotten much better at it (I've even flown solo three times in the last three years for our girls trips).

I love the girls pictures...so cute.

Wow Clare! You guys go through some pretty big cities and it's cool to see the skyline. We have absolutely nothing like that around here. We go through Chattanooga when we are going to Lacey and Jesse's and for some reason, I can't stand driving through there. There always seems to be some sort of traffic delay and/or folks are driving like crazy people.

The picture of the girls with their tongues stuck out is so cute! I see absolutely nothing wrong with looking like a crazed person. :rotfl:

Oh yes....lovely Chicago rush hour traffic. :headache: And the reason I do NOT drive Downtown for work every day.

I don't blame you! At least Chicago has a good public transportation system!

You made great time getting all the way to Macon despite the traffic in Chicago and the accident that slowed you down.

We did! It was the farthest we've ever gotten the first day.

We used to drive to Florida too; I have to say I don't miss it. I had a terrible fear of flying but I've gotten much better at it (I've even flown solo three times in the last three years for our girls trips).

I have flown before, but don't love it. I need to get over it, though. Xanax will help. :)

I love the girls pictures...so cute.

Thanks. They are pretty cute!

Wow Clare! You guys go through some pretty big cities and it's cool to see the skyline. We have absolutely nothing like that around here. We go through Chattanooga when we are going to Lacey and Jesse's and for some reason, I can't stand driving through there. There always seems to be some sort of traffic delay and/or folks are driving like crazy people.

We do go through a ton of cities. I couldn't believe it the first time we ever drove. And I agree about Chattanooga. We always seem to get stopped there too. It's pretty, but a pain.

The picture of the girls with their tongues stuck out is so cute! I see absolutely nothing wrong with looking like a crazed person. :rotfl:

No, no there isn't anything wrong with that. :lmao: I knew you'd like that picture.

The sun rose early on Friday, September 12th. Just like any other day. Wait, this wasn't any other day, THIS WAS DISNEY DAY!!!!!
Finally, after 2 years of waiting, we would arrive back to the place we all love, the place we've talked about every day for
forever. The place where magic happens and dreams come true. Unbelievable sights, indescribable feelings! For the first time in FOREVER
nothing's in our way! WDW, here we come!

Maura was up and ready.

And that's impressive. Getting her to wake up and get out of bed is like trying to get the giraffes to move out of the way of your vehicle on Kilamanjaro Safari. She is NOT a morning person. But apparently at Disney, she is. I'm sure Lucy was already dressed, showered
teeth brushed, and waiting for us in the car.

After a quick free breakfast at the hotel (bagged pastries, fruit, juice, waffles and coffee), we were back on the road. It was about 8:30 when we left
and we only had about 5 hours to go. The rest of the drive through Georgia was un-eventful. I was driving, so there were no pictures through the rest of
Georgia. That's okay, though, there wasn't a whole lot to see. Finally, at 11:32am, we crossed the border into Florida! The kids were yelling and cheering, I'm sure I did some fist pumps, and Jason was....sleeping. That man can sleep through anything. He had to get up though, and be ready to drive the last leg of our trip. I wanted pictures, so he had to drive. We stopped at the Florida Welcome Center for free, delicious OJ and some photo ops.

Hey, I'm in a picture!

We have to have one with a goofy face too.

As far as rest areas go, this one is pretty interesting. We took some "tourist" pics, got the kids each a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ice cream bar, and back in the car we went. The love bugs were out in full force already. The front of my dad's van looked like a love bug graveyard. I was swatting them out of my face the entire 30 yard walk back to the car. "I just (gag) ate a bug!" (Kudos if you know that movie reference)

Safely back in the van, away from those mating monsters, we settled in for the last leg of our trip. I had to take a picture of the trees because I love the Spanish Moss that grows on them. It's so pretty and we don't have that in the north.

Lucy settled in with her video games, Maura took a nap, and I sat enjoying the beautiful sunshine.

We decided to skip the Florida Turnpike this trip and avoid the tolls. We took FL-192 instead and boy did we pass some crazy looking stuff!

We did pass this sign. It was getting real.

Howey-in-the-Hills? Really? Is that a place? Florida does win for the state with the craziest town names. Okahumpka? Nillahcootie? Loxahatchee? I'm not kidding. All Florida towns.

The excitement was building. We were almost in Clermont, FL, when the downpour began. Out of nowhere, it just started coming down in buckets. This is pretty par for the course for us. It always seems to rain during the last part of our drive. Here's the Citrus Tower and some crazy cute ice cream store in the downpour.

Jason's words when we passed the Citrus tower? "What the he** is that?" He has such a way with words. I looked it up on my phone, and it's an observation tower. I guess you can see really far if the weather is good. But, it wasn't so good right now. The clouds ahead looked dark and stormy, so we figured we'd have a rainy night. We didn't mind, we were prepared, and rain at Disney is better than rain at home.

But lo and behold, after about 15 minutes, the clouds parted and the sun started shining on us once again! Zip a dee do dah!

Then we saw this sign!

Another ice cream place, a few tourist shops with giant, tacky statues outside,

THIS sign:

Continue in next post

And, what's that in the distance? The Swan and Dolphin?

Hey kids? Is that the Tower of Te OH MY GOD THERE IT IS!!!!! THE ARCH!!!!! I swear, you could hear the "Ahhhhhh" of angels, or maybe it was just me singing it, but there it was. We were finally going under it. My kids were screaming, and like any good parent, I spent all my time taking pictures of that arch as opposed to their smiling faces. Because you know, that arch hasn't been photographed 1,356,239,065 times or anything.

We passed this,

and a few other signs, and then we were HOME!

A quick check of the ID, and that gate went up for us, so into the Custom House we went to check in.

We all walked in, smelled the wonderful CBR smell, were welcomed by about a dozen CMs, and then one with an official looking iPad asked if we did online check in. We had, so he directed us to Carlos, the wonderful CM who got us all checked in. He immediately gave the kids 2 big strips of stickers and their birthday buttons, so we sent them off to watch cartoons while we finished up.

Carlos let us know we were in Trinidad South in building 37. Not buildings 34 or 35 like we requested, but I'm not one to complain about something so trivial. We were handed our packet, shown how to get to our room, and we were off to find it!

Back in the car for a short drive and we were here.

More specifically, here:

Here's a few pics I got of the room when I ran in to do a bed bug check (you can't be too careful), and before it got destroyed by 2 excited little girls. We had a pirate themed room and as usual, it did not disappoint!

Oh, I should mention, while we didn't get our request of building, we DID get our request of a corner room!

Some of these were taken a few days later (as exhibited by the mess), but I wanted to put them here with the rest of the room pics. The theming in these rooms is fantastic, especially if you have pirate-loving kids like I do!
They were offered the Royal Rooms at POR, but oh no, the pirate rooms it was!

Drawers:

The fridge is in here:

Extra storage:

Privacy curtain:

Semi-messy bed from the front:

The back wall of the shower with the Flying Dutchman:

Shower Curtain:

And this was the ice room right near our room. I don't know where else to put this one, but I liked the bird on it, so I took a picture.

Next up! A little resort exploring, and DTD for dinner!

Do you know in all of our trips to Disney, we have never stopped at the Florida Welcome Center and got a sample of OJ? Unbelievable I know!

Your hubby sounds like John. He could sleep through anything especially on road trips. Thank goodness he took up the driving and you could take pictures of the oddly named towns. Howey-in-the-Hills, know that area well. You got pictures of the tacky wacky buildings on Hwy. 192! Aren't those the ugly/weirdest things you have ever seen?

Oh how I wish that I were smelling that Caribbean Beach Resort smell right now! I miss it!

The pirate rooms look so cool! I'll take any pictures that you want to post...messy room or otherwise.

Do you know in all of our trips to Disney, we have never stopped at the Florida Welcome Center and got a sample of OJ? Unbelievable I know!

You HAVE to stop for the OJ sometimes. It's so yummy.

Your hubby sounds like John. He could sleep through anything especially on road trips. Thank goodness he took up the driving and you could take pictures of the oddly named towns. Howey-in-the-Hills, know that area well. You got pictures of the tacky wacky buildings on Hwy. 192! Aren't those the ugly/weirdest things you have ever seen?

Yes, Jason is much like John and can fall asleep anywhere. He snores too, and denies that he does when I mention it. I loved all the tacky buildings! If we weren't in such a hurry to get to Disney, we might have stopped at one. We went that way upon your suggestion, and are so glad we did! We'd go that way again for sure.

Oh how I wish that I were smelling that Caribbean Beach Resort smell right now! I miss it!

Me too.:worried:

The pirate rooms look so cool! I'll take any pictures that you want to post...messy room or otherwise.
They really are fun! Feel free to use any of the pics for the CBR thread!

My gosh, you're fast, Lisa! I barely posted this and you answered. :) Are you stalking me? At least someone is. :hyper:

Stalker, Peeping Tom, call me whatevah you want. :rotfl: The bossman was on the phone and I was checking my email when you posted. Lucky timing, I guess. ;)

Wow, all that sugar AND Disney in the morning... I bet the little ones didn't get much sleep!! I know I wouldn't :rotfl::rotfl:

The pirate rooms at Caribbean Beach are so cute! I would love to get one of those pirate beds for my future-child!

Can't wait for more Disney fun :goodvibes:goodvibes

oh Sweet Lord.. you just made me re-do that entire boring ride again!!! With the exception of Downtown Chicago..
You pretty much did drove past my house too. right after the skyway right before the Indiana toll you see a forest? I live about 3 blocks west of it. :thumbsup2

As for the rest of the drive i kept saying: SO THAT'S what it looks like! since we drove in BLACKNESS. :rotfl2:

lovin the report!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter