EVC use in the parks

Sheila E.

Mouseketeer
So I'm seriously considering using an EVC for the first time on my next visit, my feet and knees especially with my arthritis would probably really hinder my getting around and I don't think I could stand for more than 20 minutes and we only have 1 day to do both parks. My question is for those of you who have rented one at the parks is it a hassle to rent and get around, depending on the crowds I'm wondering if it would be harder to navigate. We are going on our next trip the first week in December, I have never been this time of year. Thanks

The first week of December is the season where the hotels are the most inexpensive, so I would imagine the crowds are low at the time. It shouldn't be difficult to navigate through the park and the ride attendants are very helpful in how to get through the queue if you have an EVC, or wheelchair. You just have to let them know prior to getting into the queue, as most you are able to go through the normal queue, where some you'll have to take an alternative route eventually since some have stairs. In the past, when I was younger and needed one due to my previous knee issues, as well as later when my mother needed one everything went well for us.

The only place I'd be worried about is Hogsmeade. It gets crowded relatively quickly due to the narrowness of that section of the park. So, if you plan on enjoying Hogsmeade either do that earlier in the morning when it's not as busy, or just accept you'll be moving very slowly.

I use one full time. Never had a problem.

The way I handle the rides is I approach the TM outside the ride and they will tell you what you need to do. (We are usually taken straight to the front of the line, but we all do have express pass so I don't know how they work it if you don't)

You will be asked to transfer to one of their manual wheelchairs to actually get on the ride. I suppose at that point if you wanted to just walk, you could. You could explain you can only stand for a few minutes at a time.

You do have to keep a close eye out because people will be looking one way and walking another and will walk directly in front of you or drag their child right in front of you at any point. Luckily, the thing stops almost instantly when you take your hand off the controller.

The way I handle the rides is I approach the TM outside the ride and they will tell you what you need to do. (We are usually taken straight to the front of the line, but we all do have express pass so I don't know how they work it if you don't)

A long time ago you used to be taken to the front of the line, but the last time we used one that was not the case. The last time was with my grandmother and it has been years since that occurred, so things might be different, but I doubt it. I have a feeling people might have been using it as a way to cut the lines, as it didn't matter if you were EVC, or wheelchair you got to the front originally.

A long time ago you used to be taken to the front of the line, but the last time we used one that was not the case. The last time was with my grandmother and it has been years since that occurred, so things might be different, but I doubt it. I have a feeling people might have been using it as a way to cut the lines, as it didn't matter if you were EVC, or wheelchair you got to the front originally.

Last time it happened to us was Thanksgiving. We were taken straight to the front on every ride I did. But like I said, we all did have EP.

It also happened last year. Before that, I didn't need to use one.

I am going again in a few weeks. I will report back what happens.

There is also no doubt I am unable to walk, which could also make a difference. In fact, they always have to call a manager to OK me to ride because technically, according to the ride accessibility guide, I am not allowed to ride most of the rides, but I have never been turned down from anything I want to do. Including Hulk. They do put an extra harness on me, but I can still ride.

Same way at Sea World. They put an extra harness on me for the coasters.

We use one at all times....the rides are your least of worries....(as stated in earlier post the people walking in front of you and not caring is the,problem but early December is a greTM s at front of rides will assist you with securing a wheelchair ( believe MIB is the only ride they let U.S. in with the scooter)...we did not get front or line service but my significant other can walk short distances..

Be sure you have an able body to push you in a wheelchair once you want to get into a ride line. You will need to transfer to wheelchair or walk. The ECVs don't fit in the lines like at Disney. You will be able to use your ECV to get around in the park, but not in the lines except for the Hogwarts Express between parks. Universal is not ECV friendly.

The first week of December is the season where the hotels are the most inexpensive, so I would imagine the crowds are low at the time. It shouldn't be difficult to navigate through the park and the ride attendants are very helpful in how to get through the queue if you have an EVC, or wheelchair. You just have to let them know prior to getting into the queue, as most you are able to go through the normal queue, where some you'll have to take an alternative route eventually since some have stairs. In the past, when I was younger and needed one due to my previous knee issues, as well as later when my mother needed one everything went well for us.

The only place I'd be worried about is Hogsmeade. It gets crowded relatively quickly due to the narrowness of that section of the park. So, if you plan on enjoying Hogsmeade either do that earlier in the morning when it's not as busy, or just accept you'll be moving very slowly.
Thanks go to know.

I use one full time. Never had a problem.

You will be asked to transfer to one of their manual wheelchairs to actually get on the ride. I suppose at that point if you wanted to just walk, you could. You could explain you can only stand for a few minutes at a time.

You do have to keep a close eye out because people will be looking one way and walking another and will walk directly in front of you or drag their child right in front of you at any point. Luckily, the thing stops almost instantly when you take your hand off the controller.
Thanks that's good to know about the controller because I am mostly worried about running into people who aren't paying attention.

Thanks that's good to know about the controller because I am mostly worried about running into people who aren't paying attention.

I have never ran into anyone, but there have been some close calls. I really wish parents would pay closer attention.

One example I remember well on my last night leaving the parks. Everyone was heading out and a lady was holding the hand of a little boy walking straight out of the park fairly close to me but a little ahead. She suddenly, without taking a glance around shoots left to look at something and walked directly in front of me. She made it fine, but in doing so, the little boy was dragged directly in front of me. Had I not been paying strict attention, I would have hit the child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter